PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 PM #1
alex06

Religion vs. IQ

EDIT: http://paulsen.home.netcom.com/iq_vs_religiosity.htm

This data is based on a study done by Pew Global Attitudes Project. It is not my work, so dont flame me.

Discuss.

Last edited by alex06 : 04-10-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 AM #2
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

I really don't see the point.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 AM #3
mamin88
SuperSupra619

I think that is bull
Old 04-10-2007, 12:04 AM #4
ke0dakilla
-LH- BDWC

i guess people that are religious aren't so open
Old 04-10-2007, 12:11 AM #5
careyman_462

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0dakilla View Post
i guess people that are religious aren't so open
This might be true, but there isn't proof of that in this chart, seeing as IQ tests are full of spatial relations and patterns. Even the most close minded people can easily have high IQ's.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 AM #6
mamin88
SuperSupra619

I could be completely wrong here, but take a look at where religion means the most to people. Usually it is in poverty stricken countries, correct? Poverty stricken countries = bad education = lower IQ's? Just a guess
Old 04-10-2007, 12:16 AM #7
careyman_462

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamin88 View Post
I could be completely wrong here, but take a look at where religion means the most to people. Usually it is in poverty stricken countries, correct? Poverty stricken countries = bad education = lower IQ's? Just a guess
Maybe, we really need a link to the chart's sources and the details of the study.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 AM #8
alex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyman_462 View Post
Maybe, we really need a link to the chart's sources and the details of the study.
I got it off some science blog, cant remeber the site.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM #9
ke0dakilla
-LH- BDWC

yah i bet it has to do with poor countries
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM #10
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

I laughed either way.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 04-10-2007, 12:53 AM #11
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
I searched PGAP's database and couldn't find anything close to thise. The only sources of this I could find were from Wikipedia and Anti-Religion websites.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 AM #12
Adema3412
Give me fiction

has been a member for 10 years
I don't trust graphs/numbers unless I see the work that is behind them.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 AM #13
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

I'd probably agree with mamin88 -

It makes sense that in poorer countries people will be more likely to turn to religion - since there isn't much else to give their lives meaning. In these countries they have not much education, so in the average IQ test involving basic maths they wont do as well, not to mention that their reading abilities etc. wont be as good. Not to mention that the idea of IQ being important in the first place is somewhat western centric.

So it probably doesn't say much about anything. Still interesting trivia though.

Last edited by vijil : 04-10-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:59 AM #14
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)

I think that's probably biased. But studies over the years have shown that people with higher IQ's are more likely to be Nontheist, especially in scientists.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 AM #15
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
i can believe it. many people that are "educated", or have resources to be educated, are taught "facts" that they do not challenge. while the uneducated masses typically only have religion and tradition to rely on. no demographics are cited, and no numbers, so this chart is very plausible.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:00 AM #16
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex06 View Post
This data is based on a study done by Pew Global Attitudes Project. It is not my work, so dont flame me.

Discuss.
It seems that the legend in this graph has not been included.
What are the countries represented? What is the anomaly circled in red? Does the yellow line represent a mean of IQ drop? Does the chart take into account the fact that IQ is measuring other areas that are not related to "intelligence" (pattern recognition and others already mentioned)?

I would be curious to see how China ranks in there given that they have the most amount of people (sample rate), highest IQ (I could be wrong here, but I remember some data supporting this) and still have religion that is central to their culture.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 04-10-2007, 10:06 AM #17
Em1Kid288
♥LOVE♥

That's people of low-end intelligence anyways. The highest IQ charted isn't even 110. Not to mention the fact that only 40 people are charted. Also, the data collected means nothing without explaining where these people were from.

Worthless in every way, really.
ANYMORE
Old 04-10-2007, 10:10 AM #18
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
i can believe it. many people that are "educated", or have resources to be educated, are taught "facts" that they do not challenge.
I challenge almost everything that is put in front of me. I have looked for a more plausible explanation to Evolution, and have found none so far. I, for one, challenge my beliefs and don't follow them like a little sheep
Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 AM #19
Em1Kid288
♥LOVE♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
I challenge almost everything that is put in front of me. I have looked for a more plausible explanation to Evolution, and have found none so far. I, for one, challenge my beliefs and don't follow them like a little sheep
No one is nearly as much of a sheep as you probably think, just for the record. I've never met a Christian who said it was easy, i've never met a Christian who never doubted his beliefs, i've never met a Christian who doesn't face challenges on a near daily basis. I know you weren't implying Christians are sheep, but at the same time, i'm sure you feel that way all the time...and that's really not the case. We search our souls for the truth like everyone, it's a struggle.
ANYMORE
Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 AM #20
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1Kid288 View Post
No one is nearly as much of a sheep as you probably think, just for the record. I've never met a Christian who said it was easy, i've never met a Christian who never doubted his beliefs, i've never met a Christian who doesn't face challenges on a near daily basis. I know you weren't implying Christians are sheep, but at the same time, i'm sure you feel that way all the time...and that's really not the case. We search our souls for the truth like everyone, it's a struggle.
You're right, I was not calling Christians sheep, the people I was calling sheep was anyone who doesn't question their religion, or if they do, then they just deny any other beliefs handed to them. Just want to make that clear.

I am actually drawing on my mom as an example, she will tell me that evolution is wrong and the Bible is 100% right, but when I try to argue, she just says "its in the Bible so it's right" and "I know I'm right you'll see when we die". Really annoys the **** out of me.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:30 AM #21
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1Kid288 View Post
That's people of low-end intelligence anyways. The highest IQ charted isn't even 110. Not to mention the fact that only 40 people are charted. Also, the data collected means nothing without explaining where these people were from.

Worthless in every way, really.
"Mean IQ vs religion by Country"

if you had read the title everything works out. The average IQ in a developed country should theoretically be 100, and 40 countries seems like an adequate sample to me.

just remember, correlation does not imply causation.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Last edited by Drex17 : 04-10-2007 at 10:32 AM.