PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-08-2007, 06:38 PM #1
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Christians=Capitalists?

This has always been one that confused me. Why do Christians, who are as a whole involved in a whole lot of charity work and are generally good people, support capitalism and are generally against welfare?

Edit: Ahh, sorry, I don't mean to say Capitalists are bad people, I just meant to say Christians are known for helping others out.

Last edited by chodeyg : 03-08-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM #2
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
This has always been one that confused me. Why do Christians, who are as a whole involved in a whole lot of charity work and are generally good people, support capitalism and are generally against welfare?
not sure about everyone else, but I support the if you don't work, you don't eat paradigm (with the obvious exceptions that are addressed with in the family). It's not necessarily a equating of Christianity with capitalism, though, as your topic seems to state emphatically.

My job and the work I do is to support the ministry(s) that God has given me. He is my source, not my self.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:44 PM #3
chodeyg
sprezzatura

I didn't say ALL christians are capitalists, It just seems that they generally are.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM #4
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
I didn't say ALL christians are capitalists, It just seems that they generally are.
okay - maybe edit your subject title?
Quote:
Christians=Capitalists?
I realize it is in the form of a question, but that is what I was addressing.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 PM #5
skpaintball

Maybe look at Communist/totalitarian regimes and how they suppress religion.
Do you see many, if any, Jewish commies? Muslim Commies? Hindu commies?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM #6
UniqueMemberOfHK
Get it? It's a joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
not sure about everyone else, but I support the if you don't work, you don't eat paradigm (with the obvious exceptions that are addressed with in the family). It's not necessarily a equating of Christianity with capitalism, though, as your topic seems to state emphatically.

My job and the work I do is to support the ministry(s) that God has given me. He is my source, not my self.
It's the mindset. Say, you see a panhandler on the side of the road. Stands there all day and collects money, but still wants some extra from the government. Now, in theory, if this man can stand there all day, he can get some job at McDonalds or something to. Now, its not necessarily about not wanting to give poor people money, but about laziness. You feed fish after a while, the fish will die if you stop feeding them because they forgot how to fend for themselves. Now, my idea is giving them welfare for a short time, and letting them get on their feet, and from there on they can get a job and help themselves, like humans were meant to do.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 PM #7
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Because welfare and charity aren't the same things.

Charity is giving out of free will. Welfare is the product of tax revenue. Huge difference.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 PM #8
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

I believe that everyone should have the right to make money and if that requires hard work so be it . I don't think some people should feel entitled to sit on thier rears all day, while others provide them with food and shelter when they are capable of working. BTW I felt this way long before I found religion.
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 PM #9
bambi_slaughter (Banned)

christianity (especially catholisism)= capitalism in a bad way...i belive.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM #10
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

hooray for gross generalities!

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 PM #11
Cheap
Zesty

Christians are generally conservative, and conservatives are stereotypically white, republican, capitalists.

Welfare is stupid. If you are poor, you're poor, and the government should have nothing to do with it. If people want to help you, then they can. Hazzah!

And what's wrong with being charitable and being a capitalist? Being both is in now way an odd thing.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:13 PM #12
14-2_technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap View Post

Welfare is stupid. If you are poor, you're poor, and the government should have nothing to do with it. If people want to help you, then they can. Hazzah!
Im sure you would say the same thing if you were poor.......
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM #13
UniqueMemberOfHK
Get it? It's a joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap View Post
Christians are generally conservative, and conservatives are stereotypically white, republican, capitalists.
Isn't conservative and republican kinda cancel eachother out? Their two different things.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:19 PM #14
14-2_technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMemberOfHK View Post
Isn't conservative and republican kinda cancel eachother out? Their two different things.
Democrats are generally liberals, likewise republicans are conservative.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 PM #15
fepjewfro13 (Banned)

welfare is good to an extent. if someone loses their house in a trajedy or the market crashes or something, I believe it should be there to help them get back on their feet. Now if someone takes advantage of it, like buying booze with it and smacking their kids all day, thats where it needs to stop.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 PM #16
TESlight'emupTES
My username is stupid

TESlight'emupTES donated to help Peyton Trent
Personally, I think welfare should be reserved for those who can't work; not those who don't want to work. If someone is paralyzed, they need welfare to stay... well, alive. If someone is a highschool or college dropout and doesn't feel like working a 9-5 like everyone else, they shouldn't get welfare. If individuals want to help them, they can all they want. However, people that just don't feel like working are a drain on the government.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 PM #17
fepjewfro13 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESlight'emupTES View Post
Personally, I think welfare should be reserved for those who can't work; not those who don't want to work. If someone is paralyzed, they need welfare to stay... well, alive. If someone is a highschool or college dropout and doesn't feel like working a 9-5 like everyone else, they shouldn't get welfare. If individuals want to help them, they can all they want. However, people that just don't feel like working are a drain on the government.
exactly!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 PM #18
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Check out Tony's thread about people "loving" money. I think he addressed the heart of your question in a more productive manner.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 AM #19
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
This has always been one that confused me. Why do Christians, who ... are generally against welfare?
I am against most forms of welfare.

2 Thes:310 - For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 AM #20
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
I am against most forms of welfare.

2 Thes:310 - For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."
pshh why stop at welfare?

I think my man timothy said it the best

"I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

edit: when I say my 'man' timothy. I mean it in the literal sense of the word.

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
Old 03-09-2007, 09:24 AM #21
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
pshh why stop at welfare?

I think my man timothy said it the best

"I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent."

edit: when I say my 'man' timothy. I mean it in the literal sense of the word.
But that is not related to welfare. Anyway, the reason why welfare is frowned upon is because of the fact that it can be easily abused and governments are slow to remedy the abuse.

In the primitive church times, charity work was the church's responsibility not the government's. The deacons were set up to distribute food to the widows and the poor.

In concept welfare would work, but being that we always never (yeah, I know) appreciate/value that which we didn't earn, the system became the crutch on which many people lean on to not "find" work.

CK member #04 (???)