Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 AM #22
Em1Kid288
♥LOVE♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
"Mean IQ vs religion by Country"

if you had read the title everything works out. The average IQ in a developed country should theoretically be 100, and 40 countries seems like an adequate sample to me.
Ah, I didn't even see that. Thanks, it makes much more sense now.
ANYMORE
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2007, 11:11 AM #23
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
I challenge almost everything that is put in front of me.
kewl, me too.
Quote:
...I, for one, challenge my beliefs and don't follow them like a little sheep
excellent, me too.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:30 AM #24
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
kewl, me too.
excellent, me too.
Then, once again, we can agree to disagree
Old 04-10-2007, 11:32 AM #25
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

I guess my IQ dropped when I became religious... EDIT wait it doe's that every time I enter ST:R
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Old 04-10-2007, 12:13 PM #26
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_J View Post
I guess my IQ dropped when I became religious... EDIT wait it doe's that every time I enter ST:R
I huv bin in ST;R four to llong than.....

CK member #04 (???)
Old 04-10-2007, 12:59 PM #27
alex06

Update in first post, source found.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:27 PM #28
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em1Kid288 View Post
That's people of low-end intelligence anyways. The highest IQ charted isn't even 110. Not to mention the fact that only 40 people are charted. Also, the data collected means nothing without explaining where these people were from.

Worthless in every way, really.
Its charting the average IQ of 40 countries.

But that in itself shows its skewed. A large enough sample from each country will yield the same average IQ.

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
Old 04-10-2007, 01:49 PM #29
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
Its charting the average IQ of 40 countries.

But that in itself shows its skewed. A large enough sample from each country will yield the same average IQ.
Plus why they chose those countries to plot (assuming they polled ONLY those 40 countries) and not some other poor countries to see if the pattern held.

Yes, a small sample rate can yield varying data and data patterns.

Question, I see 3 distinct groups (grouped at the high IQ end, mid and low) does make the US an anomaly or did they have a higher sample rate, or what is going on to distinguish it from other countries?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM #30
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0dakilla View Post
i guess people that are religious aren't so open
the only thing about this is yes there are close minded people, but to say that someone is close minded without exploring all of a certain sterotyped group is also close minded..
Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM #31
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Im a believer and I have an above average IQ......

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM #32
Mps2216
Control Yourself

I don't think these types of studies are trying to convey that the religious groups are close minded or are characterized by stupid followers. Rather, its part of an effort to convince people that the majority of areas where religion is not a predominant aspect of society, people possess more intellectual capabilities and are essentially more intellectually developed. Many venture to say, and I think it is the implication of even a graph such as this one, that in essence: 'smart/intellectual people are typically atheists/anti-religion'.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 PM #33
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
...in essence: 'smart/intellectual people are typically atheists/anti-religion'.
typically, but thankfully not completely.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM #34
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

its funny that the Pew Global Attitudes Project is co chaired by a roman catholic, Madeleine K. Albright, and is principled by former Sen. John Danforth, a republican episcopalian who graduated from princeton and went on to graduate school at yale for divinity and law, not to shabby for lower closed minded people..

Kudos to the PEW project though, for not being biased it seems, however i would like to know how and who obtained that opinion poll data and how they chose sampling, and from where. also, where is the exact site for that poll, i cant find it on their website, i wanna look into all that
Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM #35
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

nvm got it
Old 04-10-2007, 07:16 PM #36
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) scores are the test results of representative samples of 15-years olds, tested in 2003

thats from the bottom of that sight..

tests are typically administered to between 4,500 and 10,000 students in each country.

thats from PISA, what i was taught (government class), is that a sample of 1000 has a +/- buffer of only around 3%, so thats a pretty darn good sample.

but do you think most of the world consists of 15 year olds? but that can swing both ways, for or against this survey
Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 PM #37
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
I don't think these types of studies are trying to convey that the religious groups are close minded or are characterized by stupid followers. Rather, its part of an effort to convince people that the majority of areas where religion is not a predominant aspect of society, people possess more intellectual capabilities and are essentially more intellectually developed. Many venture to say, and I think it is the implication of even a graph such as this one, that in essence: 'smart/intellectual people are typically atheists/anti-religion'.
I would argue though, that "close minded" and "ignorant" are used interchangeably by some. So in essence, to the audience (in this case the thread reader), it would be equal to conveying ignorance and religion going hand in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by or2d2 View Post
Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) scores are the test results of representative samples of 15-years olds, tested in 2003

thats from the bottom of that sight..

tests are typically administered to between 4,500 and 10,000 students in each country.

thats from PISA, what i was taught (government class), is that a sample of 1000 has a +/- buffer of only around 3%, so thats a pretty darn good sample.

but do you think most of the world consists of 15 year olds? but that can swing both ways, for or against this survey
Interesting. Typically 15 years of age is when teens begin to take interest in other matters besides faith. So it be biased in sampling people of an age group predisposed to ignoring faith and experimenting with self indulgent practices (basically anything BUT faith).

Actually that last sentence might not be 100% accurate, but it is the stereotypical teens motive for existence, IMO.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 04-10-2007, 07:54 PM #38
chodeyg
sprezzatura

I believe the nonreligious are smarter only because of their nature and generally liberal raising. I have seen very smart religious people. I dont know if i buy this graph.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:05 PM #39
SuperSupra619 (Banned)
Celebrate Diversity

Religion plays a giant role in my parents lives and many would consider them near-genius.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:16 PM #40
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

look at C.S. lewis, but yeah, i agree with you that teen years are not the best time to be sampling about beliefs
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM #41
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
haha, by definition the average person from:

(mean IQ in quotes)

Angola (69)
Mali (68)
Nigeria (67)
Senegal (64)

Is mentally retarded....

[One common criterion for diagnosis of mental retardation is a tested intelligence quotient (IQ) of 70 or below.]
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 PM #42
Charles666
cwatididthar?

ST:You're not one of us.