PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:52 AM #1
ACIDKOOL

Smart Parts Ion The New Best Gun?

Hey all, I've been out of paintballing for quite sometime and i was about to buy an autococker and i was told by a couple paintball dealers saying that i should purchase the SMART PARTS ION...They told me its suppose to be better than the autocockers and that the autocockers are of the past now.. is this true? Is the Smart Parts ION really that good and reliable?

Thanks

Fernando
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2007, 12:54 AM #2
NotYourPsycho
is now Mrs. Cyberthug :D

NotYourPsycho is a Moderator
NotYourPsycho is a Supporting Member
NotYourPsycho is a Paintball photographer
NotYourPsycho is reppin' sidebar 4 life
It's the best bang for the buck on the market. What you need to do is go try out the markers before you get them and don't depend just on what the dealers say. Marker choice is personal preference
Old 04-09-2007, 12:55 AM #3
Rattlehead22
Purple soda y'all

Rattlehead22 is playing at Living Legends III
Rattlehead22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Rattlehead22 supports Team VICIOUS
Rattlehead22 is for the Gunfight
It all depends on what you like. I for one prefer autocockers over any other marker out there. As NotYourPsycho stated above marker selection is personal preference.
To your journey towards eternity"
Old 04-09-2007, 12:55 AM #4
proto baller 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYourPsycho View Post
It's the best bang for the buck on the market. What you need to do is go try out the markers before you get them and don't depend just on what the dealers say. Marker choice is personal preference
u said it champ, test what u want, see wat u like , look up revieds on the marker, and look at ur budget as you get more into paintball knowledge falls on you and you relise its the players skill not the marker, get wat you want and what you like
Old 04-09-2007, 01:00 AM #5
Babycakes

I had one and it worked great. There are better things out there, but the ion does hold its own as a great beginner gun. Dont listen to all of the people who flame the ion because it's considered a noob gun. It is owned by a lot of people because it is a great beginner gun and is frequented by players who want to better themselves while not spending a small fortune on a sport that they're not sure that they want to get into just yet.

PM7
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2338579

Black Dark Shocker
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2351287
Old 04-09-2007, 01:20 AM #6
sikk50
Just bored really...

sikk50 helped look for balloons
sikk50 supports Sherwood Forest
sikk50 supports Sherwood Forest
sikk50 is attending Decay of Nations VI
For the price, yeah it is, but if you are going to get one spend some time on www.zdspb.com before so you have a basic knowledge of how they work. They can (just like the early cockers) be difficult for new users.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:34 AM #7
DyeMonic
Keep Satan in Christmas

DyeMonic is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
DyeMonic is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
For the price, yeah it is, but if you are going to get one spend some time on www.zdspb.com before so you have a basic knowledge of how they work. They can (just like the early cockers) be difficult for new users.
The lasoya promaster is probably better for the price,but then again it's personal preference. But the ion is definately more of a newbie friendly gun.
R.I.P Harbinger[TG] aka Kevin - 4/18/08 (permed)
Old 04-09-2007, 02:39 AM #8
Dyeboy17

Smart Parts Ion The New Best Gun?

not exactly. they are the low ranged to mid ranged guns. plus, you gotta upgrade it like hella in order to make it faster.

yea i almost forgot.
go to your local shop and hold their guns and see which one your comfotable with.
DAVE YOUNGBLOOD FAN #11
Playing for Pierce Chadwick Deal /4/14/93/ -- /9/7/06
you were the greatest best friend. i will never
forget about you.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:32 AM #9
Slimjim12
Yes.

It really depends on how big you are into paintball. I got my Ion about 10 months ago then I thought it was gunna be a great hobby for me. Now I'm full into the sport and to keep up with the better guns I'm playing against (never having enough money to get one myself) I've upgraded my Ion enough that I could have just bought a better marker if I waited. I still love my Ion though and it has served me very well for the past 10 months and will probly serve me for more. So it really depends on how much you love paintball.
Playground Resurrection#23 - Twenty-Three
On Point Paintball Supply
The Playground
Captainoring.com
Raza
<3 Del Hobbies.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 AM #10
JAVA_04
Darren Prosper

has been a member for 10 years
Dont wanna make it sounds like a vs. thread but i'd take a stock ion over any mechanical cocker.
Sunset Orange #06/50 w/ PURPLE parts
Empire Barrel Kit
Clear Empire Reloader B w/ Speedfeed
68/45 w/ Empire Tank Cover
Black Empire E-Vents

email/msn - java_04@hotmail.com
Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 AM #11
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVA_04 View Post
Dont wanna make it sounds like a vs. thread but i'd take a stock ion over any mechanical cocker.
Yeah, and I love my mech cocker. I'd take it over an Ion. It's all preference.

But if I were you, I'd get an Ion. Cockers are..tempramental. I got mine used, but I've had to fix it a lot. Nothing major, but I probably should have prepared myself better. I just bought another one though, if that shows how much I like them.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 AM #12
ACIDKOOL

Talking

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!! i just needed to figure out on whats going on out there... last time i paintballed was about 5 years ago but now that i got a stable job i want to start paintballing again.. but i think i'm gonna go back to the WGP Autocockers since i felt confortable with those and maybe might buy an ION for a back up gun..

thanks everyone!

Hope one day to meet everyone in the field

Fernando
Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 AM #13
elementcaptain

i've played with both guns,same day. the cocker did great, very on target and kept up with everything. the ion did just as well, very on target, fast enough to keep up with all the other guns on the field.
both guns can be upgraded to fit what the owner likes. so in the end,either gun is just as good. now the cockers do come in different styles and price ranges. the high price of the cocker, the more you get out of it.
good luck with whatever you pick!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:31 AM #14
Thor06

Thor06 supports Team VICIOUS
i had an ion for about 5 months. No Joke the thing would break twice a month. I would always fix it cuz wen it worked i thought it was the greatest gun out there.(moved up from a spyder victor). then 5 months later the tech told me my velocity spiked and it blew the solenoid, so i sold it.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:10 AM #15
xcapelyfe

I own a ion rite now... I'm really satified w/ my gun... the only down side of this gun is the cleaning... especially when you get shot on the handle grip... thats a pain to clean... but its def worth the money spent on it. It never let me down yet. *knock on wood* haha but its a really good gun and well worth the price. Go for it!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:07 AM #16
team_xile
Midwest Whiteout

team_xile plays in the APPA D4 division
team_xile is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
team_xile is Legendary
team_xile supports DLX Technology
team_xile supports Empire
Ions are very reasonably priced for beginngers. It is a tournament level marker at a beginner level price. It operates and perfoms similiar to shockers, and other spool valve markers. If you only have access to co2, i do NOT recommend the ion. Granted they can run on anti siphoned co2, I personally wouldn't do it, just for the simple fact that some liquid co2 still gets to the solenoid. If you do have access to compressed air or nitrogen, then I say buy an ion. They are amazing.

As far as autocockers being of the past, that is kinda true. Back in 2001, autocockers were very popular on the tournament circut, players on naughty dogs, shocktech, and other high level teams (professionals) shot autocockers. Although this was back in the day when mech cockers could keep up with electronic markers such as the intimidator. Now with the karnivor and other high end electronic autocockers, I wouldn't say that they are a thing of the past, but they just arent as popular as they were 6 years ago. There are teams out there that shoot cockers. I know that brimstone smoke used to shoot them, so did Cartel and some players on addicted.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM #17
MoRH-BoiiXX

i think the best starter gun is an 07 ego no doubt. You all agree dont you?

96% of the people on PBNation are currently bringing sexy back; if you are part of the 4% that sexy never left put this in your sig!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 AM #18
steve_81
Paintballing since 1996

steve_81 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Ion....tisk...tisk

Autococker all the way.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:25 PM #19
underdog_153

i work at a paintball shop so ill tell you my point of veiw on the subject.

ION-they are great guns. the reason people dont like them is because of the owners. they believe their guns can beat any gun out there. it can compete but will not beat the newer guns. but as for the ion it is a great gun. not to expensive and you get the options/features of a highend gun. firing modes, break beam eyes and what not. as far as maintanance goes they are not the best gun. you have to take the gun completely apart if you want to do any work on it and if you have a problem that you can not fix and are trouble shooting it can be a pain in the butt. the most common problem that i see in my shop is that the owners dont take time to read the manual and just tear into the gun and end up breaking one or two of the banjo fittings. when that happens it can sometimes be a easy fix but we have had to order a new part for the gun becuase we could not get the busted piece out. people say you need to upgrade them to have them fast. i dont believe taht. ive seen a bonestock ion shoot 14-15 easily once teh trigger was played with a little and normally that is as fast as your gonna shoot in a game. out of game i can shoot 16-17 pretty easily but in game im only shooting 15. the ion can easily do fifteen stock.

autocockers-ive owned about four of this guns and they are excellent. to me there is nothing better in paintball when your shooting a solid lane with your cocker (i think the cocker shooters can back me up). people stated above that they are tempermental. once again i do not believe that. just like any other gun if you know what you are doing the gun will not give you a problem but if you dont know and fiddle with it its gonna **** up. but the truth with cockers are taht if you dont konw what your doin they can give more problems than other guns. but if you take a afternoon or listen to other cocker shooters on how to maintane them they actually are pretty easy, they just take more time to get use too. people say that cockers are more accurate due to the fact that they use a closed bolt system. that is false, they are no more accurate than any gun. I have a theory that spool valves are more accurate then poppit style guns so i would say the ion would be more accurate. (pm me if you want to hear my theory). cockers imo can be upgraded more than any gun on the market, with cockers you can make it truely yours and the more you up it the more you will learn about it.

so that is part of my view on the subject but at the end of the day you decide what gun you like. it comes down to your preference. do i like spool or poppit? do i like the way this feels? this are questions only you can answer.

hope this helps you
Old 04-09-2007, 12:26 PM #20
underdog_153

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRH-BoiiXX View Post
i think the best starter gun is an 07 ego no doubt. You all agree dont you?
all hype
Old 04-09-2007, 12:34 PM #21
NaughtyDawgsfan11
Holmes.

I am not an ION hater, so hear me out. I have played with an ION, I thought it was great. Well, I now own a ICD Promaster. Wanna know why? Because it is a BETTER all around gun than an ION. Its faster, Lighter, more durable, comes with parts youd have to upgrade for an ion, and is better looking. Also, I wanted to be different. I dont wanna be in the about 50% of everyone with an ion. They cost about the same, and all you need for a Promaster is as ASA, maybe a feedneck, and in my opinion a new Regulator. So before you buy an ion, check out a Promaster. You wont be disapointed.

My $.02
NaughtyDawgsfan11
Closed Thread