Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-27-2007, 09:16 PM #1
mr_pojo
Big Sexy

Question Paintball Photography

Hey there,

I want to start doing videos and pictures during speedball matches but I don't know what I should use to protect my camera from paint. I have heard of people putting underwater camera bags over them, does anyone know if that works or any other ideas of how I can protect my camera? Also, what about a direct hit to a camera, will the impact itself damage the camerea because of the physical impact?

Thanks!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2007, 09:17 PM #2
NotYourPsycho
is now Mrs. Cyberthug :D

NotYourPsycho is a Moderator
NotYourPsycho is a Supporting Member
NotYourPsycho is a Paintball photographer
NotYourPsycho is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I shoot a lot of paintball and my camera gets hit quite a bit. luckily, mine is tough and I have a 4 year warrentee. I just keep a towel so it'll bounce off, but every so often you get a break. The waterproof things work well too, but it just depends on what you want.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 PM #3
tullyx
Rockin' my blue NXT

plexiglass box ftw.
GO H ERD!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM #4
The Big Chris

the underwater thing works good but sometimes the underwater plastic cover cost more than the camera. For example: my dad's friend bought a $1000 camera and then bought a $1100 underwater case for it. So just make sure you want to spend that. All depends on camera. Another good idea is taking a 12" by 12" square piece of plexi glass and putting it in front of camera:

STIRRR CHILLLI

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:54 PM #5
NotYourPsycho
is now Mrs. Cyberthug :D

NotYourPsycho is a Moderator
NotYourPsycho is a Supporting Member
NotYourPsycho is a Paintball photographer
NotYourPsycho is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I'm going to move this to Photography for you. Hopefully they can better help you.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM #6
TripOGimp
all american white boy

big ziplock bags ftw!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 PM #7
the_lane
Lurking Since '04

*paging tonyball*First off, what kinda camera do you have?2nd Bags
Old 03-27-2007, 10:05 PM #8
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

has been a member for 10 years
Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Yea, a nice rain cover and a filter for your front element would probably be your best bet.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 PM #9
jeremy_maillet

jeremy_maillet is a Paintball photographer
jeremy_maillet owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jeremy_maillet plays in the APPA D3 division
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2093098

We discuss this at the end here

Maybe that shall help

1D MarkIII | 7D | 24-70L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 300mm F/2.8L IS | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII | Computrekker | Other lenses and junk
Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM #10
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lane View Post
*paging tonyball*
I knew my ears were burning.. there are a 3 really good options.

1 Kata Bag: expensive but really well made
2 Rain Sleeve: cheap but would get the job done
3 Don't get shot: my personal favorite (the one I use).

Actually, I shoot with a 30D. My camera and lenses have been hit many times and so far no damage. I've never taken a direct hit to the front element (knock on wood).

I personally find the camera bags and rain sleeve to be too restricting to be worth while.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 PM #11
Cliche
soul crushing sarcasm

All of our photographers use Kata bags.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 PM #12
robfromabove
...taking over the world

One of the techniques I've seen that works fairly well is to get a dish towel and cut a slit towards the end of it - you stick your lens through the hole, rubber band it as close to the end of your lense as you can, and then throw the whole towel over the camera. If the towel is big enough, you can actually throw the leftover towel over your head/shoulders and protect the camera from all angles.

(technique used by Dan Voils, if anyone is familiar with the name)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 AM #13
uqpimp
www.paintballreport.com

uqpimp is a Supporting Member
get a cardboard box and make cuts in it so you can put it around your video camera. Then put a towel or a sweater over the box. The towel or sweater is too soft and won't let any paintballs through or hit hard enough to damage the camera. The box's job is to make it so you can still hold the camera like normal.

Get a UV Filter for the lense too. It Won't stop a paintball from like 3 feet but it will help alot. For video I reccommend using zoom alot and just stand far enough away where the paintballs are only hitting the leg of your tripod or what not but your zoomed in so it looks like your right there.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:43 AM #14
thebigx
Blue Letter Society

thebigx is a Supporting Member
this topic seems to always come up so here you go...

Product
http://www.aquatech.com.au/ (look at the sports shield)
Review
http://www.nikondigital.org/reviews/sportshield.htm
where to buy
http://www.kirkphoto.com/aquatech.html
images
http://images.google.com/images?q=aq...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

its what i use to protect my gear... i dont shoot paintball, but having the product i can pretty much say that it will protect your camera from paint, splatter, and any elements mother nature seems to want to throw that day.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM #15
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Wow. those are nice... but for the two lenses I use for sports it would cost me $482.00 plus shipping. If I had to shoot in the rain all the time it would be worth it. But generally if it's raining hard enough to ruin my gear I just take the day off.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:41 PM #16
AntiHero47
ultionis unus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
Wow. those are nice... but for the two lenses I use for sports it would cost me $482.00 plus shipping. If I had to shoot in the rain all the time it would be worth it. But generally if it's raining hard enough to ruin my gear I just take the day off.
Bingo! I see no benefit in shooting in the rain other then potentially damaging something that I could wait for tomorrow. Sure it would be nice to go out and shoot some paintball with people sliding and falling in mud and water puddles while raning, but its not worth the risk for me right now.

Black and Gold stuck in the world of Blue and White

Go Steelers!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:44 PM #17
thebigx
Blue Letter Society

thebigx is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero47 View Post
Bingo! I see no benefit in shooting in the rain other then potentially damaging something that I could wait for tomorrow. Sure it would be nice to go out and shoot some paintball with people sliding and falling in mud and water puddles while raning, but its not worth the risk for me right now.

i hear ya! but when i use to work as a freelance photographer for the local newspaper company... i HAD TO shoot, even if it's raining out. it's worth the investment, if your investments has a return of income.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:05 PM #18
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
I've shot two tournaments in the rain. for the first one I took an empty Anarchy bag and cut a whole in the end just big enough for my lens to fit through. I put my camera in the bag and the only think sticking out was the lens hood. And it was free.

The second time it wasn't raining very hard so i used the towel trick when it was just sprinkling. I had an assistant hold an umbrella over me for the 10 minutes that it did rain hard enough to matter.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 AM #19
jonny2210

hate to bring this back up but omfg. Get a ****ing kata bag. I use the "kata 702" and it only costs <$60 shipped. All I can say is it is a necessity if shooting paintball to have a good rain coat and one or two filters on it. That other bag that is on ebay is a peace of ****. Most of the times you get hit if your lucky nothing will break. But would you rather pay a few bucks now and save your front element and the camera from damage. Seems like a no brainer to me.

You can forget all of this though if its a ****ty camera.