Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:39 PM #85
Charles666
cwatididthar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare_train View Post
So you treated your kid like **** until he caved in and went to church? Bravo. That is brilliant parenting.
Exactly, that's ****ed up.

ST:You're not one of us.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:39 PM #86
JBurgs

i guess in this case its understandable that your parents want you to go to church as it is just kind of a one time holiday get together thing but i believe its wrong that some parents try and force their kids into being christian... parents need to respect their kids choices, when they get to a certain age atleast
Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 PM #87
JBurgs

and that age shouldnt be 18... kids are capable of choosing what they wanna believe and what they dont wanna by id say like 14 or 15
Old 04-07-2007, 11:41 PM #88
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Contrary to popular belief; parents do NOT always know what is best for you.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 04-07-2007, 11:42 PM #89
Knoob (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
Uh. No. I am assuming listening/respecting/obeying his parents will be good for him.

obedience = healthy family survival.
how is making the decision to not go to church being disobedient? you say no one forces people to go to church, but when a young adult makes a conscious decision that they dont want to, its being disrespectful and disobedient.

quit being so contradictive.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:23 AM #90
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare_train View Post
So you treated your kid like **** until he caved in and went to church? Bravo. That is brilliant parenting.

Nope - not at all - I treated him with the same respect he gave. When he got too big for his britches, I brought him a little reality.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM #91
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Nope - not at all - I treated him with the same respect he gave. When he got too big for his britches, I brought him a little reality.
He refused to go to church?!!?!?!?!??! That uppty little child, you should have beat him to death
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 AM #92
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
He refused to go to church?!!?!?!?!??! That uppty little child, you should have beat him to death
Actually, in my case the issue WASN'T going to church. He really enjoyed it and I don't remember him not wanting to go, except on rare occassions - like a special game he was in, or a trip out of town.

Actually, when he was playing, especially in the HS level we'd all go as a family.

We gave him his 'reality check' when he started argueing everything, stopped doing his chores and decided he had a 'right to do as he wanted'.

We are a family, nobody gets to do whatever he/she wants all the time.

You can't take advantage of people - not even your parents.

I'll take your time, your money, your car, your home, your stuff, but don't expect me to listen or obey you?

Yeah, try that at work. Good luck with that.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:01 PM #93
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

^Like I said before; you're on the ball. But the situation you are describing is VERY different from the one drefish was talking about. Get it? You are responding to statements directed at A DIFFERENT PERSON.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 04-08-2007, 01:19 PM #94
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
^Like I said before; you're on the ball. But the situation you are describing is VERY different from the one drefish was talking about. Get it? You are responding to statements directed at A DIFFERENT PERSON.

I understand that, but IMO you are looking at this completely one sided.

His parents are asking him to join the family at a perhaps two hour event - it's obviously a family tradition as it is with many families.

His whole attitude is summed up in his comment.

Quote:
and what the uck is with my parents trying to ground a 17 year old.
I have news for him - his parents have every right to discipline him, as long as it's not abuse.

There's the underlying problem - junior here thinks his parents don't have the right to "try to ground a 17yr old." So what does he do? He runs away to a friends house. That's something a seven year old does - not a 17 year old.

Quote:
Well, I refused to go. And i refused the grounding and won the war. Im typing from a friends house , cheers boys.
This is nothing more than a brat pouting and running away because he can't do what he wants.

People who cannot submit to a person in authority over them as a child will most likely continue that same thought process through their adult lives.

I have no simpathy for him whatsoever. He's a minor child. He has no rights, if he doesn't like it, he can do one of two things:

1) suck it up and become obediant

2) Get himself emancipated and move out - get a job - be a man and then he is free to make his own decisions.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:24 PM #95
welfare_train (Banned)
Eulogy

So glad I was never forced to go to church. I show my parents respect and they respect my decisions not to go to church. I have something better to do on my Sunday mornings called "sleep."
Old 04-08-2007, 01:48 PM #96
paintbalesf
recited Graham's Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
He's 17. He is a minor and he is dependent upon his parents. They pay for his food, his shelter, his clothes, and probably a car. He needs to be respectful to them.

I've went tons of places with my parents when I was under 18. I went on business trips, banquets, funerals, weddings and tons of stuff. Not because I wanted to, but because I respect my parents.

I'm 20 years old and I still go to events when my parents ask me to. They've supported me my whole life, they're paying for my college and car insurance right now, and the least I can do is go to church with them when they ask me to.
The difference is that this has to do with religious belief. Wedding's, funeral's, etc...do not have anything faith based about them, and tend to revolve around a mutual respect for one another (friend dies...you go to their funeral. Family member gets married, you go to the wedding).

This is a religious conflict however, and parents should NEVER force their religion on someone else, even if it's "out of respect." Too bad no one ever listens to that.

I remember when I used to love going to church. I went because the teachers at my little private school said I would go to hell if I didn't. So I would actually WANT to go. Then I grew up, became an atheist, and decided to **** that ****. I told my parents; my mom cried and my dad was cool about it. I haven't set foot inside a church in 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
So long as you are under your parent's roof, you have no freedom from your parent's religion.
That's bull****, to some extent. If your parents are HARDCORE believers, then they might just disown you and kick you out of the house, which I believe, below a certain age, is illegal. Most parents will eventually accept it though, even if they disagree with it. Now, I can even have intelligent "Atheism vs. Christianity" discussions with my dad (my mom not so much).

People say I listen to interesting music.

...I'll see you in Hell

Last edited by paintbalesf : 04-08-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM #97
Knoob (Banned)

Quote:
I understand that, but IMO you are looking at this completely one sided.

His parents are asking him to join the family at a perhaps two hour event - it's obviously a family tradition as it is with many families.
how do you "obviously" KNOW its a family tradition?

Quote:
I have news for him - his parents have every right to discipline him, as long as it's not abuse.

There's the underlying problem - junior here thinks his parents don't have the right to "try to ground a 17yr old." So what does he do? He runs away to a friends house. That's something a seven year old does - not a 17 year old.
you seem to be forgetting one thing, every 17 year old has the right to believe in what they want, and going to church to listen to preaching of something that they dont believe is completely unnecessary. regardless of what his parents want.

Quote:
This is nothing more than a brat pouting and running away because he can't do what he wants.
this was actually a young adult trying to argue what they believe.

Quote:
I have no simpathy for him whatsoever. He's a minor child*. He has no rights, if he doesn't like it, he can do one of two things:
young adult*
Quote:
1) suck it up and become obediant
treat him like a dog, thatll show him.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM #98
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoob View Post
how do you "obviously" KNOW its a family tradition?

Uh, Let's see - a Catholic family - raised Catholic - parents want him to attend a Catholic service for Easter - Parents want the entire family to go - hmmm... not hard to see tradition there

you seem to be forgetting one thing, every 17 year old has the right to believe in what they want, and going to church to listen to preaching of something that they dont believe is completely unnecessary. regardless of what his parents want.

No one is disagreeing with his right to believe - if his beliefs are so set - then what harm would it do to please his parents?

this was actually a young adult trying to argue what they believe.

No this is a minor child who is a brat that doesn't want to go and is trying to stress the attitude - "you have no right to discipline me.

If he were a young adult - he would have the trappings of a young adult - a job, his own place to live. Right now in the eyes of the law - he is a child. I'd be willing to bet that if he was involved in a crminal act and charged as an adult - you would scream, not fair - he's only 17.

Treat him with the same respect that he shows - that will keep him for life.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:11 PM #99
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoob View Post
And yet, animals have obedience school and kids are allowed to behave like animals (biting, spitting, throwing fits, acting bratty (not referencing the OP here)) because parents don't want to stifle their child's development or hurt their their feelings. So what are we teaching kids when an animal has better behavior than a human?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 04-09-2007, 02:23 PM #100
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

Quote:
How much of an immature spolied brat does someone have to be to not give their parents two hours. No one is saying he has to believe, no one is saying he has to become a priest -

What happened to just common courtesy?

Instead, no I don't wanna - in fact, I'll show you - I'll run away nanny nanny boo boo.
So I suppose you would accompany your parents to Satanist meetings on a regular basis?

Respect is a two way street, his parents should respect his views, and he should respect theirs. When they knew how he felt about it, they should have let him do as he wished.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:08 PM #101
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyman_462 View Post
So I suppose you would accompany your parents to Satanist meetings on a regular basis?

Respect is a two way street, his parents should respect his views, and he should respect theirs. When they knew how he felt about it, they should have let him do as he wished.
Yeah, well - good luck with that when you raise your own.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM #102
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

Quote:
Yeah, well - good luck with that when you raise your own.
Good job dodging my question.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41 PM #103
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyman_462 View Post
Good job dodging my question.
Thanks!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM #104
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 PM #105
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post

If that is the home I grew up in, it would be normal - wouldn't it?

Why should I answer a loaded question?

Would you go? How about if they practiced their religion by throwing knives at teenagers - would you go?

Tell me, where is your local church of satan? Give me their street address?

No, this is just another sophmoric attempt at supporting the attitude of the spoiled brat OP. And that's all it is.