Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 04:33 PM #22
txballer077

im with you threadstarter, it is wrong for your parents to ground you if you dont want to go to church and have beliefs shoved down your throat, especially in the catholic church, i was raised catholic too and know what its like going to catholic school and church twice a week for as long as you can remeber and repeating the same prayers over and over that have been drilled into you since you were 4

i know this is extreme, but look what just going along and mindlessly believing what your parents do did to these kids.... participating out of respect!?!?!?!?!
[quote=RepN the 417;33863651]http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...cumentary.html#1
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kX5dVWzJg...elated&search=#2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=phNz5SRvY...elated&search=#3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jYqncRf3i...elated&search= #4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AQ1Vpgus13c#5
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iy0s04qxD...elated&search=#6
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EPLjL7q9X...elated&search=#7

______________ ______________ _____________

Last edited by txballer077 : 04-06-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2007, 04:34 PM #23
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
I'm not religious.
bingo
Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM #24
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
bingo
Why bingo, I've been posting the same line of rhetoric that the religious have.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 04:49 PM #25
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Here's a thought -

You take their money - right?

Do you pay rent? Do you pay for your food? Do you pay for utlilities?

If you can't take two hours out of your day to do something they find meaninful as a family -

move out on your own - then you can do what you want.

That might sound rough, but it's the truth.
Last I checked, it's a parents legal and moral responsibility to care for the well being of their children until they are 18. It's not a gift, it's your JOB. Don't like that? Don't have kids.

On to the original topic: I told my dad I wasn't going to church anymore. He respected my decision and let it ride. That's my dad, not yours. My experience is different so to everyone who's comparing their parents to the OPs, stop.

In my opinion, just stop going. It's worth a 'grounding' to stop having to spend two to three hours in mental anguish tolerating something you hate. There's no good reason to mentally torture yourself for your parents lack of understanding. If they don't respect you enough to let you believe your own beliefs, they don't deserve this 'respect' everyone in here keeps babbling about.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 04-06-2007, 04:51 PM #26
JBurgs

sucks dude just do what i did... kill them
Old 04-06-2007, 04:53 PM #27
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

^ I don't think Darwin knew of Chuck Norris.

ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:57 PM #28
txballer077

^^^^ everyone knows of Chuck Norris, and if you dont your probably about to get a roundhouse kick to the face so you will know

______________ ______________ _____________
Old 04-06-2007, 04:58 PM #29
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

*WHACK* ow...

Old 04-06-2007, 04:58 PM #30
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
On to the original topic: I told my dad I wasn't going to church anymore. He respected my decision and let it ride. That's my dad, not yours. My experience is different so to everyone who's comparing their parents to the OPs, stop.
You're dad made a good choice imo.

Quote:
In my opinion, just stop going. It's worth a 'grounding' to stop having to spend two to three hours in mental anguish tolerating something you hate. There's no good reason to mentally torture yourself for your parents lack of understanding.
Attending Church for someone who doesn't believe in Christianity is about as mentally anguishing as someone who hates math going to math class. Sure it's boring, but it's not the melodrama you described.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 05:00 PM #31
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
I honestly say go to church to challenge your beliefs. I have went to Church for the last two years, even when I was losing faith, and now have lost my faith in Christianity. Going to church has helped me explain my views better, realize why I really don't believe in Christianity, and realize in general what a scam I thought all of it was.

A philosopher I'm reading talks about listening, he says why do we listen? Do we listen to confirm our views, or do we listen to actually understand something? If you are listening to confirm your views, you really aren't listening. Listen to other people's views to challenge and strengthen your own. Go to church with an open mind and you might learn something.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
Old 04-06-2007, 05:01 PM #32
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
You're dad made a good choice imo.

Attending Church for someone who doesn't believe in Christianity is about as mentally anguishing as someone who hates math going to math class. Sure it's boring, but it's not the melodrama you described.
So you're denying the truth of MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? That's just not gonna fly. I'm telling you how I felt when I had to attend Catholic mass with my family. I went through the EXACT same thing he is. My outcome was different, that's all.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM #33
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
So you're denying the truth of MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? That's just not gonna fly. I'm telling you how I felt when I had to attend Catholic mass with my family. I went through the EXACT same thing he is. My outcome was different, that's all.
And why was it mentally anguishing and complete and utter torture of the most unbearable sort?
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 05:07 PM #34
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Good question, any psychologists in the thread wanna tell him?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:08 PM #35
Knoob (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Here's a thought -

You take their money - right?

Do you pay rent? Do you pay for your food? Do you pay for utlilities?

If you can't take two hours out of your day to do something they find meaninful as a family -

move out on your own - then you can do what you want.

oh em gee the ironing.

i love how people say that no one forces their kids to church, yet they make the conscious decision that they dont want to and you FORCE them to go, and practically kick them out of your house for making that decision.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 PM #36
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoob View Post
oh em gee the ironing.

i love how people say that no one forces their kids to church, yet they make the conscious decision that they dont want to and you FORCE them to go, and practically kick them out of your house for making that decision.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:11 PM #37
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Good question, any psychologists in the thread wanna tell him?
You can't tell me?
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 05:14 PM #38
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Dude, I don't know WHY attending church gave me acute claustraphobia, depression and lethargy. That's way over my pay grade. I know a little about physics and a decent amount about helicopters and a tiny bit about motorcycles, but beyond those three I'm really no expert. Included there is any knowledge of psychology or how the human brain works.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:17 PM #39
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Dude, I don't know WHY attending church gave me acute claustraphobia, depression and lethargy. That's way over my pay grade. I know a little about physics and a decent amount about helicopters and a tiny bit about motorcycles, but beyond those three I'm really no expert. Included there is any knowledge of psychology or how the human brain works.
Fair enough.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 05:22 PM #40
graysonp
Me = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
I Love how all the Religious in this thread tell you that if Don't give in to being FORCED to go to church, then your tearing down the very aspect that is a family.
It's Bull**** man. I use to go to church to please my grand parents and mother. Then I realized that it's like someone going to a AA meeting just to stare at drunks.

It's really quite easy:
-Your not Religious anymore
-You obviously have gone against your parents wishes already
-Don't go. Suck it up and take the grounding like it's nothing

I'd simply explain your feelings to your parents, and explain that they should accept your beliefs. They will...They're your parents man. Don't let anyone use the "your only 17" crap against you.
I don't think religion is even an issue in this case. How would he respond if they asked him to go somewhere else with them? It's not just about going to church. It's really about respect for his parents.

I respect my parents and appreciate everything they have done for me. So when they ask me to do something, I do it. It doesn't matter if it's going to church with them or going out to dinner when I had other plans. It's the least you can do. If your parents ask you to go to church, go. When you can support yourself without their help, then you can do whatever you want.

Last edited by graysonp : 04-06-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:42 PM #41
The.KK
ಠ_ಠส

The.KK is a Supporting Member
The.KK has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just go, church can be quite interesting, listen to what the priest says and get stronger/better opinions.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 PM #42
CDN_wdpballa (Banned)

Well, I refused to go. And i refused the grounding and won the war. Im typing from a friends house , cheers boys.
Closed Thread