PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 02:21 PM #1
CDN_wdpballa (Banned)

Church

So, my parents are Catholics and brought me up a Catholic.
They are trying to make me go to church today for good friday and I am refusing to go, because i lost my faith a few years ago and will refuse to go to church as i feel no spirirtual connection while going, its just a waste of time in my eyes. So i will not go, and they told me I am grounded. First of all, isn't it my choice to go or not as a confirmed Catholic, and what the uck is with my parents trying to ground a 17 year old. I think this is bull**** and it jsut makes me hate religion even more.

What should i do? Just suck it up and go to church, or **** them and start a war?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM #2
welfare_train (Banned)

Dude don't you know that going to a huge building and worshiping something you will never see is the right thing to do?

nah a few years ago I told my mom I didn't want to go to church anymore. She was fine with it. I just told her is it wrong that I believe something different then you?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM #3
CDN_wdpballa (Banned)

Thats what I am telling them, they can'ttell me what to belive in, but apparently they think otherwise.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM #4
graysonp
Me = Awesome

has been a member for 10 years
Honestly, you're 17, you're still a minor and you should respect your parents. If they tell you to go, you should do it, even if it's only out of respect for them. It won't kill you to sit through a couple hours of church.

That being said, sit them down and talk about why you don't want to go to church. And I don't mean 2 minutes of how church is boring. But have a serious discussion. If you're reasonable about it, they will be more likely to let you make up your own mind. When you're not dependant on them for food, shelter, and dozens of other things, then you can start rebelling.

Last edited by graysonp : 04-06-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:33 PM #5
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Suck it up and go.

Getting a lil bit of Jesus inside you is not going to kill you.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 02:36 PM #6
CDN_wdpballa (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
Honestly, you're 17, you're still a minor and you should respect your parents. If they tell you to go, you should do it, even if it's only out of respect for them. It won't kill you to sit through a couple hours of church.

That being said, sit them down and talk about why you don't want to go to church. And I don't mean 2 minutes of how churhc is boring. But have a serious discussion. If you're reasonable about it, they will be more likely to let you make up your own mind. When you're not dependant on them for food, shelter, and dozens of other things, then you can start rebelling.
Actually I am an adult in the church.
Edit: I have also talked to them and they just tell me that i have to do what they are doing. their like ****ing 2 y/o's.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:37 PM #7
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is a Mega Moderator
drefish99 is a Supporting Member
I agree with those above. I'm a parent. I would expect my children to go out of respect to me. They all need to do this until they can support themselves outside my home. If I am having to pay for you to live the least you can do is sit with me at church.

I also support that you have a constructive dialog with your parents with your views. I would want my kids to share with me what is going on with their faith and their views and would listen to them whole heartedly if they had valid points and not just throwing a temper tantrum.
Romans 6:23
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado

Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that's what love is all about

The most he did was die for me, the least I can do is live for him.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:40 PM #8
welfare_train (Banned)

Go to church for respect? LOL

Thats like going to a gay pride parade even if you arn't gay to show respect for your two dads.

If you don't want to go, talk to your parents about how your beliefs differ from theirs. Don't fake it and go for respect.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:44 PM #9
graysonp
Me = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare_train View Post
Go to church for respect? LOL

Thats like going to a gay pride parade even if you arn't gay to show respect for your two dads.

If you don't want to go, talk to your parents about how your beliefs differ from theirs. Don't fake it and go for respect.
He's 17. He is a minor and he is dependent upon his parents. They pay for his food, his shelter, his clothes, and probably a car. He needs to be respectful to them.

I've went tons of places with my parents when I was under 18. I went on business trips, banquets, funerals, weddings and tons of stuff. Not because I wanted to, but because I respect my parents.

I'm 20 years old and I still go to events when my parents ask me to. They've supported me my whole life, they're paying for my college and car insurance right now, and the least I can do is go to church with them when they ask me to.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:09 PM #10
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Here's a thought -

You take their money - right?

Do you pay rent? Do you pay for your food? Do you pay for utlilities?

If you can't take two hours out of your day to do something they find meaninful as a family -

move out on your own - then you can do what you want.

That might sound rough, but it's the truth.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:12 PM #11
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
Around my house until you go to college you go to church every weekend with the parents. In college you can make your own choices, except they still make us go on Easter and Christmas more out of tradition.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
Old 04-06-2007, 03:13 PM #12
skpaintball

is this really thread-worthy?
Going to church with your parents isnt going to kill you; you're making a bigger deal of this than it needs be.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 PM #13
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Paint View Post
Here's a thought -

You take their money - right?

Do you pay rent? Do you pay for your food? Do you pay for utlilities?

If you can't take two hours out of your day to do something they find meaninful as a family -

move out on your own - then you can do what you want.

That might sound rough, but it's the truth.
my opinion as well.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:26 PM #14
Spaghetti Monster
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
That being said, sit them down and talk about why you don't want to go to church. And I don't mean 2 minutes of how church is boring. But have a serious discussion. If you're reasonable about it, they will be more likely to let you make up your own mind.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:33 PM #15
bannedbi slaughter
bambi is back

dont go.

dont we have the right of freedom of religion in this country?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM #16
Seithman
Weaver of Wyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedbi slaughter View Post
dont go.

"Freedom of religion" refers to governmental interference, not parental discretion.

Honestly, what's the big deal about sitting through the occasional church service anyway?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:00 PM #17
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedbi slaughter View Post
dont go.

So long as you are under your parent's roof, you have no freedom from your parent's religion.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM #18
Seithman
Weaver of Wyrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
So long as you are under your parent's roof, you have no freedom from your parent's religion.
But then again, where religion is concerned, what is freedom, really?

Sure, your parents can force you to go to church with them. However, they can't force you to believe in what the preacher says. They can't force you to sing the worship songs and mean it. They can't even force you to pay attention.

To me, that's just enough freedom to keep my spirits high.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:12 PM #19
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seithman View Post
But then again, where religion is concerned, what is freedom, really?

Sure, your parents can force you to go to church with them. However, they can't force you to believe in what the preacher says. They can't force you to sing the worship songs and mean it. They can't even force you to pay attention.

To me, that's just enough freedom to keep my spirits high.
As is the case with a government sponsored religion, they can force you to walk the walk, but they never can force you to believe.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 04-06-2007, 04:24 PM #20
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D4 division
I Love how all the Religious in this thread tell you that if Don't give in to being FORCED to go to church, then your tearing down the very aspect that is a family.
It's Bull**** man. I use to go to church to please my grand parents and mother. Then I realized that it's like someone going to a AA meeting just to stare at drunks.

It's really quite easy:
-Your not Religious anymore
-You obviously have gone against your parents wishes already
-Don't go. Suck it up and take the grounding like it's nothing

I'd simply explain your feelings to your parents, and explain that they should accept your beliefs. They will...They're your parents man. Don't let anyone use the "your only 17" crap against you.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:29 PM #21
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
I Love how all the Religious in this thread tell you that if Don't give in to being FORCED to go to church, then your tearing down the very aspect that is a family.
It's Bull**** man. I use to go to church to please my grand parents and mother. Then I realized that it's like someone going to a AA meeting just to stare at drunks.

It's really quite easy:
-Your not Religious anymore
-You obviously have gone against your parents wishes already
-Don't go. Suck it up and take the grounding like it's nothing

I'd simply explain your feelings to your parents, and explain that they should accept your beliefs. They will...They're your parents man. Don't let anyone use the "your only 17" crap against you.
I'm not religious.
--Murray Rothbard
Closed Thread