PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-05-2007, 08:37 PM #1
FlyingMojo

has been a member for 10 years
Thinking about midblocking my merlin...

I really dig the look of midblock cockers and I was wondering how my merlin would look midblocked. So tried doodling it in Paint. I think it would look awesome. Let me know what you guys think. Also, who do you think would be able to do something like this?

Before:

Theoretical After:
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2007, 12:29 AM #2
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
I would hate to see you cut part of that body off. I suggest just a standard midblocking.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:52 AM #3
Dead_Body

I'm guessing that this is an unusual body with that flower milling in it. I'd say leave that one alone as the art it is and go with something more common body wise for the mid or half blocking project.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 AM #4
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

Midblocking would be nice as long as he doesn't remove any of the upper tube.

The most I would do would be to remove the site rail, and make a slot in the top of the top tube for the bolt pin.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 AM #5
MSgtWolf

MSgtWolf is a Supporting Member
remove the sight rail, midblock it and then put a norise clamping feedneck on it...the picture youve got is more of a halfblock design, midblocks are done to leave the upper tube completely in tact

04 Viking w/ Rmod and Robtown valve | 06 Cyborg
My Feedback
Old 04-06-2007, 12:53 PM #6
Dead_Body

But it would still have a big slot for the sliding block right through the "daisy" milling.

I still think that would be a shame unless this pattern of milling is a lot more common than I think it is. Granted I'm new to paintballing but this is the first daisy pattern milling I've seen. It's kind of nice.

I see that body and back block being turned into a nice sniper pump and something a bit more mainstream used for a half block project.

Hey, flyingmojo, at least you have the class to show your suggestion with a nice arced tail on the rear of the body. I don't know why we don't see more millings for halfblocking like that. The straight up jobs without even a lower corner curve just look so crude in many cases.

If I had a body that I could trade for you so you can do your half blocking on something more mainstream I'd be in there like a dirty shirt. The daisy milling looks sweet in a nice simple way. It would help to generate peaceful Hippy thoughts just before I bunker some lowlife...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:05 PM #7
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Body View Post
But it would still have a big slot for the sliding block right through the "daisy" milling.

I still think that would be a shame unless this pattern of milling is a lot more common than I think it is. Granted I'm new to paintballing but this is the first daisy pattern milling I've seen. It's kind of nice.

I see that body and back block being turned into a nice sniper pump and something a bit more mainstream used for a half block project.

Hey, flyingmojo, at least you have the class to show your suggestion with a nice arced tail on the rear of the body. I don't know why we don't see more millings for halfblocking like that. The straight up jobs without even a lower corner curve just look so crude in many cases.

If I had a body that I could trade for you so you can do your half blocking on something more mainstream I'd be in there like a dirty shirt. The daisy milling looks sweet in a nice simple way. It would help to generate peaceful Hippy thoughts just before I bunker some lowlife...
You'd have a slot on one side. You don't have to go all the way through.

The reason I don't do halfblocks with curves like that is because the block would have to match the cut perfectly, and because it would require either a lot of time, or a CNC machine to make the block, and the cut on the upper tube match one another. The only reason halfblocking is as cheap as it is now is because I've come up with parts, and cuts that work on every cocker. I can do custom cuts like that, but they cost a good bit more than a standard halfblock conversion.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:34 PM #8
Dead_Body

Ah, nice. One side wouldn't be so bad...... BUT!

And yeah there's no doubt that the sled would need to match the curves. I guess I just like making work for myself.. To me the look would be worth the extra cost and if I was to send something like this to a shop like yours I'd be willing to pay just to have it done "right" according to my visions. But I agree that a lot of other folks are more concerned about the costs.

I know we all have different sensibilities but I know that if this was mine I'd be looking at enhancing the retro look with a slider frame and keep it old school as far as that didn't conflict with smooth operation. I'm not normally partial to the old blocky style cockers but this one with the daisy and the blue anodizing just grabs at my heart somehow. If it was a plain ol' WORR blocky body then I'd be helping you guys to strap it down to the milling table in the hopes of creating something memorable for a new generation. But to me this body isn't ready for that level of torture by a long shot and has its own appeal as it sits.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:48 PM #9
MSgtWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
You'd have a slot on one side. You don't have to go all the way through.
And the way that flower pattern is milled, you can make a cut right at the middle groove of the body and not really disrupt the rest of the pattern...

My Feedback
Old 04-06-2007, 02:48 PM #10
FlyingMojo

Thanks for all your input guys. You know, I always viewed it as more of a spiral milling than a flower or daisy. In either case, when AKA was actually pumping out merlin bodies they had a handful of basic milling designs and this was one of them. I don't know how many of these kind were made, but it's no one-of-a-kind. On that note, wouldn't a totally unique mid block make this gun even more one-of-a-kind? I can understand your guys worries, but i really think it would look cool. Especially with a shortened nickel lightening bolt. Every shot would 'bling.'

On the suggestion to do a typical mid block... wouldn't the sled basically exist in the area of the pump arm groove? By that I mean, is the height of the sled more than the size of the groove? If not, than yeah a typical midblock would preserve the SPIRAL milling. I don't know though, i'm not IN LOVE with that milling. It's something different, but i would have preferred a featherlight.

MSgtWolf - I would still call it a midblock since when i hear half block i think of an actually block surrounding the bolt, but still shortened.

Joshgrrrr - I understand what your saying about having to form the sled to the curved top tube, but i envisioned the cut being far enough forward that the sled (when the bolt is closed) would not even touch the curve. In that case you wouldn't have to shape the sled and the mid blocking would be straight forward besides one additional curve cut. I guess I'm just trying to convince you since I'm 99% positive I'll be sending my body (gun body that is) to you.

Keep the input coming! Also, if anyone is good at photoshop, i''d love to see other unique ideas.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM #11
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMojo View Post
Thanks for all your input guys. You know, I always viewed it as more of a spiral milling than a flower or daisy. In either case, when AKA was actually pumping out merlin bodies they had a handful of basic milling designs and this was one of them. I don't know how many of these kind were made, but it's no one-of-a-kind. On that note, wouldn't a totally unique mid block make this gun even more one-of-a-kind? I can understand your guys worries, but i really think it would look cool. Especially with a shortened nickel lightening bolt. Every shot would 'bling.'

On the suggestion to do a typical mid block... wouldn't the sled basically exist in the area of the pump arm groove? By that I mean, is the height of the sled more than the size of the groove? If not, than yeah a typical midblock would preserve the SPIRAL milling. I don't know though, i'm not IN LOVE with that milling. It's something different, but i would have preferred a featherlight.

MSgtWolf - I would still call it a midblock since when i hear half block i think of an actually block surrounding the bolt, but still shortened.

Joshgrrrr - I understand what your saying about having to form the sled to the curved top tube, but i envisioned the cut being far enough forward that the sled (when the bolt is closed) would not even touch the curve. In that case you wouldn't have to shape the sled and the mid blocking would be straight forward besides one additional curve cut. I guess I'm just trying to convince you since I'm 99% positive I'll be sending my body (gun body that is) to you.

Keep the input coming! Also, if anyone is good at photoshop, i''d love to see other unique ideas.

You could have it cut that way, or similar to that then use a tiny midblock sled rather than a halfblock sled. That way, the block wouldn't have to match the cut. But, without the block or the upper tube there to support the bolt you could get some side to slide play.

A normal midblocking could preserve the spiral milling. (it's not a daisy..lol)
Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 PM #12
Dead_Body

*sniff*... *shuffles feet*....

(mumbling) well... it looks like a daisy to me.... *looks at shoelaces intently*

Hey 'Mojo, if you're after light and small would you be interested in swapping for a Psycho Ballistics Superbolt body for the half blocking project? I'll even toss in the PB hinge frame and you can keep the WGP one. I've seem Josh's pics of the PB half blocked Superbolts and they look pretty darn nice. And the PB body is like a feather compared to your Merlin if you're after light and compact.

Or if you'd rather I can swap you a WGP '04 regular body. If you want to think about either option I can send you some pics. PM me an email addy.

Like, you know man, we just gotta.. like, you know, like, protect the flowers man! Remember Woodstock! Remember, like, VW microbuses in pastels! FREE LOVE AND PEACE, MAN! ! ! !

..... OK, the flashback is over now.... I'm OK again....
Old 04-07-2007, 01:53 AM #13
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

LOL....you like the Daisy that much huh?

Dead Body is right, if light and compact is what you are looking for, a superbolt is the way to go.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:20 AM #14
pmc413

pmc413 supports our troops
what about something like this

Old 04-07-2007, 02:28 AM #15
Dead_Body

OK, now if you could mill in around the daisy like that then I'm sold. That would look awesome....

OK, I know it's silly but yeah, I guess I just like the flower motiff that the spiral milling gives to an otherwise blocky and boring body. If it could be ano'd in a multi colored tie dye'd look centered around the milling then it would be PERFECT!
Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 AM #16
craltal

Take a rare body and mutilate it. I don't think it's a good idea. My vote is just get a different body and have at that. you'll kill the resale value of it.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 PM #17
MSgtWolf

Its actually not really rare...now if we were talking about a revenge id say differently

My Feedback
Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 PM #18
wolf13
freelancer

wolf13 is a Supporting Member
wolf13 is a founding member
its far more rare then a revenge if you go by just the milling. while it was a "standard" option, only a very few were actually produced with those designs (i'd be suprised if even 10%, and this was one of a few options). this is also appears to be an older merlin body. these were meant to be sold as body kits and not complete guns, compared to the revenges as complete guns. although "rare" from a milling and historical standpoint, it doesn't affect the value much.

personally, i hate half blocking, but its not my gun. Don't expect it to add any value to it though.

Discussion and photos on anything autococking from sniper 1 to MQ:
www.CustomCockers.com
Old 04-07-2007, 03:26 PM #19
Hellacious D

Hellacious D is a Supporting Member
We need to change the mechanical cocker forum to "ask wolf anything".
GEARBAG BONANZA: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3502676
^Overnight Shipping on weekdays
Old 04-07-2007, 05:10 PM #20
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
its far more rare then a revenge if you go by just the milling. while it was a "standard" option, only a very few were actually produced with those designs (i'd be suprised if even 10%, and this was one of a few options). this is also appears to be an older merlin body. these were meant to be sold as body kits and not complete guns, compared to the revenges as complete guns. although "rare" from a milling and historical standpoint, it doesn't affect the value much.

personally, i hate half blocking, but its not my gun. Don't expect it to add any value to it though.
I agree. Halfblocking has it's place, it just isn't on nice, classic cockers like that. Cockers like that should be midblocked if anything.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:56 PM #21
FlyingMojo

Dead_Body - Appreciate the offer, but no thanks on the trade.

pmc413 - haha, nice! Now if i can only find my dremel...

Well.... I expected some people to voice their opinion against it, but i didn't expect EVERYONE to vote against it. I may just go ahead with it for that reason alone (kidding). Also, I'm not concerned about the weight of the marker. Think about it, that milling wouldn't reduce the weight THAT much. Additionally, I'm not concerned about the gun's resale value. I don't think i'll ever own a different gun (unless wolf offered me his tri-fade V2 LE). I really just want something totally unique.

Either way, i'm still thinking about.