Community Focus

Old 02-21-2014, 11:50 AM #1
MatrixBaller 4

MatrixBaller 4 plays in the PSP
MatrixBaller 4 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MatrixBaller 4 is an NCPA player
MatrixBaller 4 is an NCPA National Champion
Disappointed in NCPA

I don't know about all schools or players, but I think its kinda sad to see the nationals layout put out this early. Most players will have played at least one regional on the layout, potentially two and not to forget the actual Dallas event.

Part of the fun in my opinion is taking the time to look over a layout with your team. I mean lets be honest once a layout is released everyone on your team looks at it and starts texting or calling each other about what they think or see.
Every one in the club can't wait to get on it to see what its going to play like. In the current situation, teams have a month and 20 days to look over it. People preach about a "level playing field" but with a layout released this early teams can spend tons of time on the layout if they have the money, while other teams can't if they don't have the money.

Personally I'm disappointed the NCPA didn't put out it's own unique layout. You guys create the 5 "official" layouts each year, why would you not create the national layout also?

These are my thoughts and opinions, overall I love the NCPA and it's events, I want to see it continue to grow. Anyone else please share your thoughts/opinions.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2014, 12:01 PM #2
Hannibal
Legacy

has been a member for 10 years
Hannibal plays in the PSP
Hannibal supports Empire
A month and 20 days? I think you mean just 20 days
Powered By: G.I. Sportz #14
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 PM #3
SoProTheyGoWHOA
Sneaky Beaver

SoProTheyGoWHOA is an NCPA player
SoProTheyGoWHOA plays in the APPA D4 division
SoProTheyGoWHOA has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SoProTheyGoWHOA has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
A month and 20 days? I think you mean just 20 days
Nationals being on April 12th for AA teams is pretty close to his month and 20 days claim.

personally I was suprised it being the Dallas layout. The NCPA has traditionally always had their own Nationals layout to my knowledge
Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 PM #4
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
I was pleasantly surprised because teams with PSP players will have fewer practice conflicts. The PSP guys can run points with both their NCPA and PSP teams at every practice.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:54 PM #5
MatrixBaller 4

MatrixBaller 4 plays in the PSP
MatrixBaller 4 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MatrixBaller 4 is an NCPA player
MatrixBaller 4 is an NCPA National Champion
eforce, i see your opinion and can't disagree with you from that perspective. Thanks for the input!

I was curious to hear everyone's opinion, at the end of the day its up to them not me.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:59 PM #6
shortyrider114

shortyrider114 plays in the PSP
shortyrider114 is an NCPA player
shortyrider114 plays in the APPA D4 division
shortyrider114 supports Empire
I don't see a problem. You have just as much practice time as they do... Just because they have an event on the layout doesn't mean anything.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:23 AM #7
hawk5755
London Lewis

Annual Supporting Member
hawk5755 plays in the PSP
hawk5755 donated to help Peyton Trent
hawk5755 is playing at Living Legends VII
hawk5755 is an NCPA player
hawk5755 is an NCPA National Champion
hawk5755 plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixBaller 4 View Post

In the current situation, teams have a month and 20 days to look over it. People preach about a "level playing field" but with a layout released this early teams can spend tons of time on the layout if they have the money, while other teams can't if they don't have the money.

itll give teams the opportunity to pound practices out and seeing who wants it the most
Old 02-22-2014, 11:08 AM #8
Greg!
✔ Verified Brony

Greg! plays in the PSP
Greg! is an NCPA player
Greg! plays in the APPA D3 division
Greg! is Legendary
Greg! supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
I was pleasantly surprised because teams with PSP players will have fewer practice conflicts. The PSP guys can run points with both their NCPA and PSP teams at every practice.
This
Greg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 PM #9
Hav0c
Ninja

Hav0c plays in the PSP
Hav0c owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Hav0c is an NCPA National Champion
Hav0c plays in the APPA D3 division
Releasing the layout later helps balance out the playing field for schools who might have less funding though, Some schools can afford to practice the layout twice a week for 2 months. Others can't. I liked when PSP adopted the policy to release layouts right before events to help offset that advantage. With an early layout release (and an event played on that layout prior to Nationals) I feel like the disparity between schools with strongly funded programs and those who without will be much more apparent
Jordan Tsai #10
Cal State Long Beach Paintball
NCPA Class A National Champions 2011-2012

Play Beginner 3-man in the Beach Series! Hosted by CSULB
Hav0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:48 PM #10
DCardone13

DCardone13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DCardone13 is an NCPA player
DCardone13 plays in the APPA D4 division
I'm not speaking for me team but this is just my opinion. The NCPA and PSP are separate leagues and I feel that they should be treated as such. For the players that have a practice conflict, that is their choice to play both leagues. In my time in the NCPA we have always had the discussion for some events on whether or not to use a PSP layout prior to one of their events or to use a layout released by the NCPA. I have always fought to use a NCPA cause that is the league we play in. Again this all is only my opinion on the matter and do feel we should use a NCPA released layout and not just PSP dallas.
Suny Oswego Rush #7
Powered by G.I. Sportz, V-Force, Raza, and NVP Paintball
DCardone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 PM #11
daveumasspaint
NEVER STOP

daveumasspaint is an NCPA player
daveumasspaint plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCardone13 View Post
I'm not speaking for me team but this is just my opinion. The NCPA and PSP are separate leagues and I feel that they should be treated as such. For the players that have a practice conflict, that is their choice to play both leagues. In my time in the NCPA we have always had the discussion for some events on whether or not to use a PSP layout prior to one of their events or to use a layout released by the NCPA. I have always fought to use a NCPA cause that is the league we play in. Again this all is only my opinion on the matter and do feel we should use a NCPA released layout and not just PSP dallas.
Agree!

Personally if we want the NCPA to be taken as its own separate entity and seriously , which overall is better for college paintball , we should be using NCPA custom layouts not the PSP.
Playground Kids
UMass Minutemen
Philadelphia Fear
Team No Name Crew
daveumasspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 AM #12
CONTRACTkiller_423

CONTRACTkiller_423 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CONTRACTkiller_423 is an NCPA player
CONTRACTkiller_423 supports Empire
I'm honestly in favor of having similar layouts to the PSP. This is my fourth year in the league and a challenge teams/fields face is deciding what layout goes up if both NCPA and PSP have upcoming events.

Normally because more teams play PSP or their affiliates, NCPA teams will lose this battle. This has happened to me and know others have had similar struggles. Having the same layout makes it easier on field owners, PSP teams and NCPA teams because everyone wants the same thing. This also allows NCPA teams to have the opportunity to scrimmage quality PSP teams on their layout.

While the funding comment is a valid argument, this discrepancy in funding will be apparent regardless of the amount of time. If you have two months, some teams will get more practices than others. If you have one weekend, some teams will be able to shoot 40+ cases while others can barely afford 5-6. No matter how much time teams have on the layout, teams who have the funding will have the advantage.

These opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of my sponsors or club.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:11 PM #13
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
There's obviously pros and cons whichever way we go. One big factor in favor of using the same layout is teams don't have to convince fields to set up a practice field that's different than the layout non-NCPA teams want to practice on.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:35 PM #14
p4intb4ll

p4intb4ll plays in the PSP
p4intb4ll is an NCPA player
p4intb4ll plays in the APPA D3 division
p4intb4ll supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyrider114 View Post
I don't see a problem. You have just as much practice time as they do... Just because they have an event on the layout doesn't mean anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
There's obviously pros and cons whichever way we go. One big factor in favor of using the same layout is teams don't have to convince fields to set up a practice field that's different than the layout non-NCPA teams want to practice on.

- Chris

AKRON
#CasualSunday
TPA
OLD FEEDBACK
p4intb4ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 PM #15
BIG T25
WhereIsTodd.com

BIG T25 is an NCPA player
BIG T25 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
BIG T25 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post

- Chris
???

There's 3 weeks of practice after dallas until nationals. That's plenty of time for fields to have the nationals layout set up with no competing psp layout. The only con is that teams can't practice the layout until 3 weeks before the event which, I would argue, isn't really a con because it's standard procedure for the psp.
BIG T25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM #16
Atticuss187

Atticuss187 supports Team VICIOUS
Atticuss187 is an NCPA player
Atticuss187 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
This. Fields will now not have to cater to the "NCPA layout" regime that tends to be a conflict every year when teams are looking for fields to practicing for nationals. While I agree it's certainly uncreative for the NCPA to do this, I, personally, think it's a great idea since teams will now be able to go to almost any field that runs xball matches and run a rotation with any team opposed to having to worry about nagging the field to set up the Nationals layout for a few weekends just so two or three NCPA teams can practice it opposed to the 9-10 teams preparing for Dallas.

Uncreative, yes...but way more efficient.
Atticuss187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:42 PM #17
Hav0c
Ninja

Hav0c plays in the PSP
Hav0c owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Hav0c is an NCPA National Champion
Hav0c plays in the APPA D3 division
Not many teams will be preparing for Dallas after Dallas is over...
Jordan Tsai #10
Cal State Long Beach Paintball
NCPA Class A National Champions 2011-2012

Play Beginner 3-man in the Beach Series! Hosted by CSULB
Hav0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:10 PM #18
MuddJ

MuddJ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MuddJ has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MuddJ supports Empire
I too, am disappointed in the NCPA but for different reasons. They need to put more effort into communicating with their players. I haven't seen their site updated since 2013 and its hard to know whats going on.
MuddJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:36 AM #19
synthysys13

synthysys13 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hav0c View Post
This.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 AM #20
1cheeselova
Shenanigans

1cheeselova plays in the PSP
1cheeselova donated to help Peyton Trent
1cheeselova is reppin' sidebar 4 life
1cheeselova plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
1cheeselova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:04 PM #21
Atticuss187

Atticuss187 supports Team VICIOUS
Atticuss187 is an NCPA player
Atticuss187 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
And..? How many NCPA teams actually practice regularly at your home field that will be "preparing" for nationals? The layout is released 3 weeks prior to the next PSP event which means MAO will be released April 9th...which means the earliest fields can and will have the layout up is the weekend of April 12-13th which is the weekend of Nationals. So any field that has rotations will have the Dallas layout up until nationals, which I think is a really big perk for NCPA players since many find it a struggle to get fields to set up the nationals layout every year. Yes, teams will not be preparing for Dallas, but they will still be running points for practice. I think the big picture here is NCPA teams are not going to find it hard to find a place to practice, which I think is one of the reason's Chris did this.
Atticuss187 is offline   Reply With Quote