Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: should i get a new marker?
yes 88 69.84%
no 38 30.16%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:25 PM #1
monkeyfasta

shoould i get a new marker?

well, ive been playing for 1 year now and im thinking of trying out for a team soon. i have a ion and i dont think it will keep up with everyone else. im also worried that if i dont sell my ion before x-mas, not alot of people would be interested in it because of all the new markers that come out around then. so my question is should i get a new marker? i have a really good deal on a nxt shocker but im not sure if i really should get a new marker. should I?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2007, 03:31 PM #2
BuNKeRKiNGBaLLeR12
Bans Happen :)

If you feel like you have moved on (which it seems you have) and you no longer desire the Ion (which seems evident) then yes, you should purchase a new marker. Even though I dislike SP, I have to say if you get a good deal on a NXT, take it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 PM #3
Dj.Dynamik
Live Free or Die Hard

get the nxt
Old 04-02-2007, 04:27 PM #4
OPEtaperunner (Banned)

^^^^^true dat get the NXT
Old 04-02-2007, 04:31 PM #5
Statiz
ɹǝ4ʞ2

if you like the ion then keep it. its not the best gun out but it can keep up fine
[NJ]
"...Like a ***** with no ***, you aint got ****..."
Old 04-02-2007, 04:44 PM #6
monkeyfasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfasta View Post
im also worried that if i dont sell my ion before x-mas, not alot of people would be interested in it because of all the new markers that come out around then
do you guys agree with this?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 PM #7
Statiz
ɹǝ4ʞ2

its always better to sell now than later. usually if you wait either nobody wants it or you wont get much
[NJ]
Old 04-02-2007, 04:48 PM #8
The_Hawk
There Is No Society

has been a member for 10 years
The_Hawk is reppin' sidebar 4 life
No.
Let's jam

"Originally posted by pok3ypuppy: LOL SOMEBODY SHOULD SIG THIS."
Old 04-02-2007, 04:57 PM #9
MrGerbik
Shogun of Harlem

The only reason you should get a new gun is, 1) You really have come to hate your current one. 2) Your current one is not and never was comfortable for you to use. 3) You feel your abilities have progressed enough that you are outperforming the ion.

It is the fashionable thing to hate on ions these days which would lead you to ditch it for the wrong reasons. I personally bought an ion after a long absence from the game. As i got better i upgraded it to improve it s performance. After i felt i progressed passed the marker i bought a new one.

A new marker does indeed do alot, but if you arent at a stage where you are outperforming the old one than you really arent going to see much differance. Despite its taboos the Ion is a great reliable gun. I personally never had it once fail on me, and so i keep it as a backup.

Dont buy somthing for the wrong reasons.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:13 PM #10
monkeyfasta

well I play practically every week or so and I think that if I havnt outgrown the ion by now I probably will by around july or so when I plan to buy a new marker.

Last edited by monkeyfasta : 04-02-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:13 PM #11
woodsballnewbie1994
Rocking a PM5...Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGerbik View Post
The only reason you should get a new gun is, 1) You really have come to hate your current one. 2) Your current one is not and never was comfortable for you to use. 3) You feel your abilities have progressed enough that you are outperforming the ion.

It is the fashionable thing to hate on ions these days which would lead you to ditch it for the wrong reasons. I personally bought an ion after a long absence from the game. As i got better i upgraded it to improve it s performance. After i felt i progressed passed the marker i bought a new one.

A new marker does indeed do alot, but if you arent at a stage where you are outperforming the old one than you really arent going to see much differance. Despite its taboos the Ion is a great reliable gun. I personally never had it once fail on me, and so i keep it as a backup.

Dont buy somthing for the wrong reasons.
QFT

If in Boston and need a NEPL Jr. team, lemme know!
Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM #12
teddyshooterv2
JAG AUTOMOTIVE NC

teddyshooterv2 is playing at Living Legends VII
teddyshooterv2 is Legendary
i think you should get the nxt and keep the ion as a back up or something just incase your nxt brakes or one of your friends wants to go paintballing with u one day and they dont have a gun you let them yours your ion so he dont have to spend money n renting a gun...

hope this helps you
teddyshooter
Old 04-02-2007, 06:11 PM #13
MrGerbik
Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfasta View Post
well I play practically every week or so and I think that if I havnt outgrown the ion by now I probably will by around july or so when I plan to buy a new marker.
Well you cant really put a date on when you will become more skilled. I understand though. buying a new gun is exciting. Alot more exciting than using your old one.

Just remeber though. Any tournement you will be in is gonna have a 15bps cap on it regardless. If you arent even close to 15 then i think i would wait.

Here is a good tip. Try to think of how fast you are shooting. Then subtract 5 from it. This may be an over estimate but it is usually a safe one.

Also think of why you are buying the new gun. Are you buying the shocker because you think you will be a better player with it, or because its fun to buy a new gun and your bored with the ion anyway. Ill be the first to admit i bought my Angel partly because i like having new things. I like the feeling of showing up to play and trying out new stuff. You just gotta figure out if it is practical or not. Also take into account that the shocker is a little more of a high end gun and may require different/extra care when it comes time to clean and service it. I never owned one so dont quote me on that.

You may want to put the money into other equipment. Your gun is capable, but do you have a good mask? Ive learned that the mask is probably the most important piece of equipment. A crappy mask can ruin your day. Do you have a good pair of pants? Is your equipment cheap or overly used? Stuff like that

Last edited by MrGerbik : 04-02-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM #14
pbplaya0608
NVP PBL

does the ion shoot good and does it have upgrades?
if so try out with it untill you make the team that you want to play for...when you make it then get the new gun

--------05 Dynasty Shocker shoots great fs http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3155254

--------Halo B with rip drive fs http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...7#post60855167

feedback
Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 PM #15
Statiz
ɹǝ4ʞ2

play a tourny and see if you really need to get a new one
[NJ]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM #16
UberWigget

well if you got a new marker i wouold head towards a used cheap 05 or 06 ego. Im not a fan of shockers and their problems.

But yeah I would try to sell the ion soon because, like you said, the resale value will go even lower than it already is.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:53 PM #17
DirtMcgirt997

I don't really think the ion can be "outgrown", i think it can get tiresome seeing the way people view them. They're low kick, compact, light, and durable (or at least, cheap enough where you don't care). Depending on how many ups the ion has, I'd keep it. Upgrade every thing you have before buying a new gun. Besides, doing well with an ion says alot more than doing well with an NXT, no matter how contradictory that may sound to what I said earlier. Keep in mind, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:54 PM #18
Statiz
ɹǝ4ʞ2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMcgirt997 View Post
I don't really think the ion can be "outgrown", i think it can get tiresome seeing the way people view them. They're low kick, compact, light, and durable (or at least, cheap enough where you don't care). Depending on how many ups the ion has, I'd keep it. Upgrade every thing you have before buying a new gun. Besides, doing well with an ion says alot more than doing well with an NXT, no matter how contradictory that may sound to what I said earlier. Keep in mind, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
qft

keep it and up it
[NJ]
Old 04-02-2007, 06:59 PM #19
MV is AGG
Gorilla in the mist

same thing I did when I was with my ion get ride of it before the value decreased because then you will acutally be spending more money. If you have a good deal than go for it, If you have a gun thats not as skilled as you are than get better and while your getting better you have the gun. Take care of it though maintain it so it lasts.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:59 PM #20
MrGerbik
Shogun of Harlem

An ion can 100% be outgrown. You outgrow it when you begin to add too much to it to make you comfortable with it. If it takes 500 bucks for me to feel like my gun is shooting right for my style of play then yes i would say i outgrew the gun.

It is no longer practical to keep pumping more money into a gun when you can get a new one for the same amount of money. I would call that outgrowing the gun
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM #21
Statiz
ɹǝ4ʞ2

do what you want b/c alot of ppl here have good points.... im gonna get a mini b/c it will cost alot to get my gun where i want it
[NJ]
Closed Thread