Is prayer an illusion? - Page 2 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 PM #22
elTwitcho
***** ***** *****
 
elTwitcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Toronto Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
I figured I'd quote this since no one else will read past "aspect".

I don't really have anything to say in response other than I appreciate the comment, and unfortunately, it won't be read by nearly anyone else.
Well thank you
__________________
ST:Photo - Trust me, you made a wrong turn

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 AM #23
warbeak2099
That is my foot!
 
warbeak2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wouldn't u like to know!
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguru92 View Post
im talking about being dead in a grave for 2 months...yes god can i know it happend not sure when ask another person

science can also fail, if god wants someone to die and its there time, even if there pulse is gone for 1 second medics cannot revive them if god does not want them to continue to live
Until you show me that story and give us evidence that it is not a hoax, shens.

Can't prove the second part now can you? Sorry, still grasping at straws.
__________________
US Navy Baller
UL'd 07 PMR F/S, PM me if interested!
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
warbeak2099 is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 PM #24
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FLorida 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguru92 View Post
im talking about being dead in a grave for 2 months...yes god can i know it happend not sure when ask another person
2 months? Who was risen after 2 months? It has never happened. "not sure ask another person" ... well, nice evidence buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguru92 View Post
science can also fail, if god wants someone to die and its there time, even if there pulse is gone for 1 second medics cannot revive them if god does not want them to continue to live
So, when someone lives it means God let them live and Science had absolutely nothing to do with it, but when they die, Science failed and it was part of God's plan that they're dead. You make such a good point, hold on while I convert to Christianity.
GoldEaglev2 is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 PM #25
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..
 
mynameisjonathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TN
 has been a member for 10 years
You see most Christians will say that god lets you do what ever had makes no control over you life. If this was true, then those who were going to live, would live. Or are you suggesting that god does interfere himself directly with humans?
__________________
aim yooler
Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
mynameisjonathon is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 PM #26
patschamps0204 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
far from. there has been researched evidence in the medical field, praying makes recovery time faster.
patschamps0204 is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:57 PM #27
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by patschamps0204 View Post
far from. there has been researched evidence in the medical field, praying makes recovery time faster.
Proof?

I have seen studies, published in Dawkins "The God Delusion" that say otherwise. I have never once seen a peer reviewed study that shows prayer does anything to make recovery faster.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 05:57 PM #28
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..
 
mynameisjonathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TN
 has been a member for 10 years
Care to post this evidence patschamps0204?
__________________
aim yooler
Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
mynameisjonathon is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM #29
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Let's clarify what we're talking about. Some studies have shown that people who pray on their own behalf or know they are being prayed for show an improvement in their health. However, because of the placebo effect, these results don't prove anything about the power of prayer as such.

This study appears in The Lancet and was conducted by Duke University.

http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/2...lp-others-heal

The study included 748 people. They were due to get a heart procedure -- a cardiac catheterization -- to check for blocked arteries. Three out of four also got other procedures to reopen those arteries.

Basically the study showed prayer did not help, and in some cases was detrimental.

Last edited by cryptic.paintball : 04-03-2007 at 06:10 PM.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM #30
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguru92 View Post
im talking about being dead in a grave for 2 months...yes god can i know it happend not sure when ask another person

science can also fail, if god wants someone to die and its there time, even if there pulse is gone for 1 second medics cannot revive them if god does not want them to continue to live
just like he can microwave a burrito so hot that even he cannot eat it, or make a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it. spare me your sunday school crap.

also, for furure reference, unless you want to look like a dumb**** it would be wise of you to look up some sort of CREDIBLE source before making any claims.
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM #31
noob101
*Insert catch phrase*
 
noob101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Mexico
My attention span only lasted 2:25.

I don't think pray is an illusion. Either He isn't real, or he abanded us. Notice how all the magical things in the Bible haven't happened for a while?
__________________
noob101 is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 06:52 PM #32
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob101 View Post
My attention span only lasted 2:25.

I don't think pray is an illusion. Either He isn't real, or he abanded us. Notice how all the magical things in the Bible haven't happened for a while?
doesn't the bible say something about god or jesus always being with the people who need him? with a world going to hell in a handbasket there are probably a few believers in need of divine intervention.
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM #33
ECrevolution
LM > LT
 
ECrevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: -508-
Prayer brings hope. There are times when we all need it. Do I pray? No. But I know it has made things alot easier for alot of people to believe that someone is watching out for them.
__________________
***



"Originally posted by zoink: ""Originally posted by zoink: Banned because I'm a pbn mod and i don't need a reason WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

2 months until I get back in osst.....
ECrevolution is offline  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:34 PM #34
Chemlab
art.culture.work.
 
Chemlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Jose, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
God may or may not exist and he may or may not answer prayers, but if prayer gives people hope then it could have a tangible effect on their health. People's emotions are pretty powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEp8ntballer View Post
If starfish and salamanders can do it; why can't we?
Apparently our lack of regenerative abilities on a large scale seems to be a sort of check for cancer. Our bodies form scar tissue to inhibit rapid cell growth.

Edit: I meant to say that god planned it that way and don't question him.
__________________
You are my economic rival, and I hate you.
Chemlab is offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 AM #35
Holo
(d)
 
Holo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
The notion of people asking for scientific proof from a faith based system strikes me as incredibly arrogant/ignorant.
__________________
-jb

♣♠♦♥Delirious♥♦♠♣

OhioStateArmy
Holo is offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 AM #36
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FLorida 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEp8ntballer View Post
doesn't the bible say something about god or jesus always being with the people who need him?
Yes, because the Bible is 100% right on everything.
GoldEaglev2 is offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:42 AM #37
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holo View Post
The notion of people asking for scientific proof from a faith based system strikes me as incredibly arrogant/ignorant.
It is normally done when they attempt to pass off creationism as a theory or when they bash evolution.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM #38
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper
 
Furious_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nor:Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlack View Post
I hope you're not serious. All god can ever give is moral support, which can also be gained by friends and family. If that's not an option, there's nothing rational thinking can't solve that god can.
Yeah Im completly serious how many times have you ever heard someone proclaim "Jeff Dammit" or blame Frank for thier grandma dieing(unless Frank did kill thier Grandma)or Pray to (insert god here) to receive something they want, which is the only time that most people pray. As for your comments your about rationale, your rational person what else would you believe.
__________________
velcrowrappers ftw
"Originally Posted by EY3 velociraptors dont eat burritos." Originally Posted by warbeak2099 "Velcrowrappers do."
"Originally posted by sixty nine: all this religion stuff makes me hungry, ima get some tacos" "Originally posted by Derr: I do my best thinking on the toilet."
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Furious_J is offline  
Old 04-04-2007, 08:57 PM #39
HBlack (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oakville ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_J View Post
Yeah Im completly serious how many times have you ever heard someone proclaim "Jeff Dammit" or blame Frank for thier grandma dieing(unless Frank did kill thier Grandma)or Pray to (insert god here) to receive something they want, which is the only time that most people pray. As for your comments your about rationale, your rational person what else would you believe.
So you're saying that god has to exist because society has developed saying based on his existence? Well that's a strong position...
HBlack is offline  
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 AM #40
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper
 
Furious_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nor:Car
Yeah God has to exist if YOU believe he exist therefore if YOU believe your prayers will be answered they aren't in vain. Perception is reality in most cases.

EDIT: This isnt applicable in all situations for example if we were both in a dark room and there was a hole in the floor and I told you about it but you believed the floor to be solid ,when you found the hole gravity would take over.
__________________
velcrowrappers ftw
"Originally Posted by EY3 velociraptors dont eat burritos." Originally Posted by warbeak2099 "Velcrowrappers do."
"Originally posted by sixty nine: all this religion stuff makes me hungry, ima get some tacos" "Originally posted by Derr: I do my best thinking on the toilet."
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728

Last edited by Furious_J : 04-05-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Furious_J is offline  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 PM #41
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Prayer (falling under any aspect of reality), is an illusion as I believe all of reality to be illusory.
That's way too deep for this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
I did not find it to be inspirational or unique, but rather matrixie in nature.
'Matrixie' is not a word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballguru92 View Post
im talking about being dead in a grave for 2 months...yes god can i know it happend not sure when ask another person
That's a pretty solid point ya got there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patschamps0204 View Post
far from. there has been researched evidence in the medical field, praying makes recovery time faster.
I conducted a study where I heard about people praying to God to keep their cancer ridden grammgramms alive and then she died painfully. Conversely, I rode my motorcycle off the road at sixty and escaped with only a smashed thumbnail kind of thing. I didn't pray to anyone. Conclusions of my study were that prayer kills grammgramms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlab View Post
Apparently our lack of regenerative abilities on a large scale seems to be a sort of check for cancer. Our bodies form scar tissue to inhibit rapid cell growth.
Cuz that worked well.

Everyone prays in foxholes.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 PM #42
NEp8ntballer
 
 
NEp8ntballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
NEp8ntballer supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
Yes, because the Bible is 100% right on everything.
it is the inerrant word of god
__________________
best porn thread in ST history by ScorpionShock - I was there 6/7 or 6/8 depending on your timezone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Official ST Atheists #8


Old Feedback
NEp8ntballer is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump