PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 09-16-2001, 09:38 PM #1
redcellpb
retiring again...

has been a member for 10 years
does anyone know where I can get the Halo electro. hopper?

I need to find out if there is anywhere that I can get the Halo electronic hopper. I have discovered that I can easily outshoot my 12v revvy. PLEASE contact me or leave a post here if you know anything. catch me on AIM at JDLabster
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2001, 11:45 PM #2
Milhouse
a.k.a Fallout Boy!

You can't get them yet. National PB will let you pre-order them. They're due in October, after originally be promised for August. There will probably be patent issues with it, though. I heard that BE is just waiting to file suit. Try the TurboRev to solve your hopper problems WAS
Old 09-16-2001, 11:58 PM #3
Kneedragger
Asphalt Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Milhouse
They're due in October, after originally be promised for August. There will probably be patent issues with it, though. I heard that BE is just waiting to file suit.
LOL, yeah and people in hell want ice water. When's the last time you saw a successful patent law suit in the paintball industry? They'll sue and it will get tossed out, no big deal.
Old 09-17-2001, 08:31 AM #4
1Hailstorm
Proud American

Well they hate compitition! So BE will do anything they can to stop this hopper. Alot of bad blood between BE and OD. Seeings the guy who thought up the HAlo worked for on the VL. I think if they are scared, then make a better hopper. Not tie everyone up with a lawsiut.
Old 09-17-2001, 05:09 PM #5
F00

I was just talking to Tex yesterday. He was playing with one and it is sweet. These will not be out until World Cup.

I believe BE's only patent only pertains to the fan/sensor/motor combination. Since the halo has no fan, there is no basis for a lawsuit. BE has come out with a new revvy with better plastic and a faster board, but I am done dealing with the cheap-***** and will definately be getting a Halo.

MSRP will be around $150, which would be well worth it since they will feed at around 16 bps. Oh and they will work and the plastic won't crack after a month of use...

Last edited by F00 : 09-17-2001 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2001, 06:17 PM #6
Milhouse
a.k.a Fallout Boy!

The new polycarb shells with a TurboRev will get you to 16 bps. And at around the $80-90 range. What are the HALO's made of? I haven't heard. Also, aren't the HALO's supposed to be pretty heavy? No flaming, just asking honest questions.
Old 09-17-2001, 06:32 PM #7
redcellpb
retiring again...

Turbo Rev

Milhouse do you know where I can buy one of those turbo revy's with the poly carbon shell as a unit at? I've seen the turbo board separate but I haven't seen the shell or the shell and the board together. Any info would be really helpful. Thanx
Old 09-17-2001, 07:05 PM #8
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

HALO for me.

I'm going to get a HALO.

Why? Because I am sick of donating money to BE for shoddy products. They have abused a monopoly position in the market by producing hoppers that are, for lack of a better word, sucky. I won't hesitate to spend some money for something better.

As for the turbo-rev, why would I bother. I would have to give more money to BE for a rev with the new polycarb shell and to get it working at the level I would expect (even with it having the x-rev board) I have to immediately get a 3rd party upgrade which doubtless voids the (admittedly near-worthless) warentee for my new hopper. Count me out! I also have some doubts about some of the claims made on the WAS website. "allowing consistant feeding of up to 16 balls per second!" - then why does the table at the bottom only show 13.21 balls per second. Does it do 16bps 'consistantly' or 13?

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
"Shiznaz? Bizomb? Bling-bling? Doesn't *anyone* speak English anymore?"
Old 09-17-2001, 07:17 PM #9
F00

the Halo only weighs 4 ounces more than the Revvy
Old 09-17-2001, 08:02 PM #10
Ballin' Paint
James

Re: HALO for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike
I'm going to get a HALO.

Why? Because I am sick of donating money to BE for shoddy products. They have abused a monopoly position in the market by producing hoppers that are, for lack of a better word, sucky. I won't hesitate to spend some money for something better.

As for the turbo-rev, why would I bother. I would have to give more money to BE for a rev with the new polycarb shell and to get it working at the level I would expect (even with it having the x-rev board) I have to immediately get a 3rd party upgrade which doubtless voids the (admittedly near-worthless) warentee for my new hopper. Count me out! I also have some doubts about some of the claims made on the WAS website. "allowing consistant feeding of up to 16 balls per second!" - then why does the table at the bottom only show 13.21 balls per second. Does it do 16bps 'consistantly' or 13?

Peace,
Mike.
Dont bad mouth something you havent tried. It does 13, when you are droping the balls straight out of the hopper, or doing a "freefall" test. When on a gun it uses the feed tube to its advantage, it can get 16. I just got mine yesterday, and it was amazing. I was in my back yard fanning my gun atleast 15bps, and it didnt skip a shot. Its so amazing. Who doesnt have a revvy ? thats why $30 really is nothing to get 16+bps. I dont see the downside to that. But to let you know, I will also be purchasing a HALO when they are released, and will be doing some testing to see which is better.
Gilles Rear sets, CRG levers
HID's High/Low, 520 15/42 with Xring
Speedo healer, Corbin seat

"RC51's are not for everyone...not everyone likes twins messing around between their legs"
Old 09-17-2001, 09:21 PM #11
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

Oh please!

Would you care to explain how a feed neck makes the hopper feed faster??? If I take the hi-rise of my gun and test the hopper on it will I get 16bps - or does the rise have to be added to the gun for the magic to work?

You have a ball stack so when your stock rev hesitates before agitating you still have balls in the neck to shoot - it does not affect how fast the balls can come out of the hopper.

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
Old 09-17-2001, 11:13 PM #12
Milhouse
a.k.a Fallout Boy!

You can't get the PolyCarb shell yet. Supposed to be sometime around the end of the year or the first of next year. Warpig.com did a review on them and sound like they're going to be great.

Yes, BE makes some pretty crappy products. But I'm sure Viewloader had Revy's break on them before they got bought out. I'm sure the HALO's will break on occassion as well. Aren't they made of the same material as current Revy's?

I have a pre-BE and a post-BE hopper and have had no problems with either. Now I know there seems to be a lot more complaints about BE Revy's breaking, but is that really true? I would argue that they're alot more Revy's out in the world today, thanks to BE. So its natural that you would start hearing about more problems. The game of paintball owes a lot to BE. BE has brougt paintball to many new people that could never have afforded it or even been exposed to the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big BE fan. But I do respect what they have done for paintball. And don't forget, those people with Talons and Blades are the same ones that buy a Autococker or a Bushy or Spyder tomorrow. BE is hardly the only one to have a monopoly in paintball. Anybody looked to see what Diablo has been doing lately? They have a hand in almost all aspect of the game today.

Now as far as the TurboRev goes, read some of the other threads that have been posted about it. There seems to be some solid science behind it. I can easily out shoot my Revy now, so I pretty sure it has a hard time just doing the 10-12 bps it claims. Even if the TurboRev can't do 16 bps, it will certainly do 13 bps MUCH more consistantly.

Just about everybody has a Revy nowadays. $15-20 (est.) for a new shell when your current shell cracks or breaks, and $40 for the TurboRev. That's still half the price of a HALO. I think people would be much more willing to buy 2 almost new hoppers for the same price as 1 untested hopper. Utimately, the HALO may prove to be the better "mousetrap". But until then, SNAP!
Old 09-18-2001, 12:45 AM #13
Ballin' Paint
James

Re: Oh please!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike
Would you care to explain how a feed neck makes the hopper feed faster??? If I take the hi-rise of my gun and test the hopper on it will I get 16bps - or does the rise have to be added to the gun for the magic to work?

You have a ball stack so when your stock rev hesitates before agitating you still have balls in the neck to shoot - it does not affect how fast the balls can come out of the hopper.

Peace,
Mike.
Your an idiot. The turbo rev can drop 13 balls a second, but if you have a 4 ball stack than while those 4 balls are being shot, it is already in the process of being refilled. Why dont you talk to WickedAirSportz and be a smart *** to him and say that the feed neck does nothing. Why the hell do you think they make high rises and low rises, the high rise gives you a better feed rate, the low rise is more compact. What a dumb a ss you are.
Gilles Rear sets, CRG levers
HID's High/Low, 520 15/42 with Xring
Speedo healer, Corbin seat

"RC51's are not for everyone...not everyone likes twins messing around between their legs"
Old 09-18-2001, 01:17 AM #14
TheNinja

...he was just asking a question, no need to flame.
Reg soon

and later on...
Impy with all the right goods.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:59 AM #15
BMJoker

BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
BMJoker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BMJoker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Hey, someone tell that friggin crying newbie that VL loaders have been cracking sice the before BE took over. It's not an epidemic, just something that occasionaly happens. I have owned numerous revvy's, and VL2000's and never had the problem my self...You dont NEED to get a poly shell for the loader to perform to your high expectations. If it aint broke, don't fix it. As far as the WAS board, I got mine on the way. I can't handle the stutter feeding of the new rev's.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:37 AM #16
acsik

Hmmm just buy black revvys they didnt break like the more rigid gem series...
Old 09-18-2001, 09:47 AM #17
TreyV
Reality based citizen.

Annual Supporting Member
TreyV is a Supporting Member
TreyV is a founding member
TreyV is playing at Living Legends VII
TreyV is Legendary
"Pendulum"

W.A.S.,

Okay, think I figured out what you meant "pendulum acceleration." I thought for a minute there that you were talking out your butt, thinking that pendulum motion is circular motion and has nothing to do with spheres being pushed down a tube. But, then I realized what you meant by pendulum. You're refering to the little bearings on wires doo-dads where the balls on the ends swing back and forth while the middle ones don't.

Maybe pendulum isn't quite the word you want to use. After asking my friend with the physics BS, probably the best way to describe what's happening is momentum transfer. Assuming that the balls between the ball striking the stack and the ball at the bottom of the stack are stationary (relative to each other, at least), the momentum (I=mv)of the top ball gets transfered through the stack to the bottom ball, setting up mv=mv. There's losses to friction and yada yada, but you get the point.

Not to flame, just trying to help.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:27 AM #18
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

WAS - thanks for taking the time to actually explain how it works - I understand now how it is possible by synchronising with the bolt speed. That you got the software done in three months is admirable - that's a hell of a job.

Ballin- if you wanna flame, flame away but don't try to explain something you obviously have no understanding of. Your explanation explained nothing - it was the same as saying 'water comes out of the faucet faster if a hose is attached'. Hi rises were needed for better feed rate WHEN REVS WERE HESITATING. With a turbo-rev it sounds like a low-rise would be more suitable.

Millhouse - HALOs will (apparently) be poly-carb similar to the new rev shells. I have broken 2 post-BE revs yet I still have the one I bought before BE took over and it is not damaged beyond some scratches. BE was the only monopoly in paintball - Diablo may have a finger in every pie but that is not what a monopoly is. Can you name one thing Diablo makes that there is not a substitute from another company?

While you can argue that BE made the game accesable to a lot of people, I think that cuts both ways. While there is some truth to what you say, I think that a guy who buys a blade or a talon has to buy a better marker the next week so he didn't really get much for his money. He would have been better off renting as there is no resale value in the low-end BE products. The talon and the blade are pretty shonky guns and anyone who plays on a regular field is going to be terribly outclassed with the combination of their lack of experience and trying to bring a pump to a semi-auto world.

That being said - their low end guns are not the reason I don't get warm fuzzies about BE. BE abused their monopoly position with the rev to reduce the quality IMHO. Now that they are no longer the only game in town they are upgrading the shell and the board - they could have fixed those problems at any time.

No sir, BE has enough of my donations. Now that I finally have a choice, I don't plan on giving them more of my money because they have finally decided to fix the shells and make something better. I'll be getting a HALO. The turbo-rev certainly sounds like a lot of work went in to it tough. Maybe I could get on for my pre-BE rev

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308
Old 09-18-2001, 01:51 PM #19
TreyV
Reality based citizen.

Annual Supporting Member
TreyV is a Supporting Member
TreyV is a founding member
TreyV is playing at Living Legends VII
TreyV is Legendary
Dr. Pendulum?

Okay, who is Dr. Pendulum? Pendulum comes from the latin pendulus, according to merriam-webster. Show me a source for your good doctor.

Trying to believe,
Matt
Old 09-18-2001, 02:07 PM #20
Milhouse
a.k.a Fallout Boy!

Aussie Mike - You make some valid points. I agree that most of those people who buy Talons and Blades will have to buy new equipment next week because of the cheap plastic used. But my arguement is that those people will get hooked on paintball and will need to upgrade. They'll buy a gun that actually uses metal next time, and down the road they go towards paintball obsession, like us. About your post-BE hoppers. Where they Gems? I will admit those seem to be much more fragile then the solid black ones, Pre- or Post-BE.

I think if everyone would think of their hoppers like their guns, then there wouldn't be much discussion. By that I mean that hoppers are now upgradeable, just like our guns. A stock autococker may work okay, but that doesn't stop people from buying new bolts, triggers, pneumos, etc.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:17 PM #21
Aussie Mike
Sexual!

They may well get hooked, I just feel an individual would be better off renting than buying a blade for example - you can't even adjust the velocity on the thing and it shoots 260fps or so out of the box. That doesn't make for a very fun time for your first day of paintball Your point is well taken though.

I have broken a post BE gem and a black. There is (to me) a noticable difference in the plastic on my pre BE black hopper.

At some point though, I think some equipment shoud work from the box. It is one thing to buy performance parts for a gun, but for a hopper? No, I expect my hopper to perform from the factory, like I expect my mask to function straight out of the box. I wouldn't stand for a goggle company that sold me a mask without ear protection and relied on the aftermarket to supply it as add ons. (an extreme example perhaps.) If the 12 volt revy is the best BE/VL can do, I'm just going to take my business elsewhere. (don't get me started on the eVLution!)

WAS - out of curiosity, would you mind if I ask what you use to vary the torque of the motor?

Peace,
Mike.
AALCD #308