PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 PM #1
D.M.

I Need A Photographer Md/va Area

^^^^^^^...pretty much. I need someone willing take pictures of my team. I don't need a professional photographer, but just someone that knows what they are doing. I'm not looking to spend alot of money either...I can probably pay up to $100 for the whole day. If anyone is interested in making some quick cash, post your history in photography and maybe a sample paintball picture. Thanks guys....

You can also PM me or email me at jkim3464@gmail.com
My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post30665413
Maryland Balla #23
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 PM #2
robfromabove
...taking over the world

has been a member for 10 years
You might have better luck in the regional players forum
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM #3
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M. View Post
^^^^^^^...pretty much. I need someone willing take pictures of my team. I don't need a professional photographer, but just someone that knows what they are doing. I'm not looking to spend alot of money either...I can probably pay up to $100 for the whole day. If anyone is interested in making some quick cash, post your history in photography and maybe a sample paintball picture. Thanks guys....

You can also PM me or email me at jkim3464@gmail.com
just to give you a heads up. not many decent photographers are going to come shoot for you all day and then spend the next couple of days post processing pics for $100. If a photographer spends 4 hours shooting your team, he'll spend another 6 to 10 on travel, post processing, shipping your stuff ect... In the end he spends his time and puts his gear at risk for somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 an hour. If you find anyone to accept that deal, I wouldn't expect much.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 PM #4
samurai_x_8140

do you have no friends with a camera?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 PM #5
D.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_x_8140 View Post
do you have no friends with a camera?
I have plenty of friends with a camera, but ideally they wouldn't like to spend a day taking pictures considering they don't play paintball.
My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post30665413
Maryland Balla #23
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 AM #6
oldskoolpbn
Legen...dary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybhall View Post
just to give you a heads up. not many decent photographers are going to come shoot for you all day and then spend the next couple of days post processing pics for $100. If a photographer spends 4 hours shooting your team, he'll spend another 6 to 10 on travel, post processing, shipping your stuff ect... In the end he spends his time and puts his gear at risk for somewhere in the neighborhood of $7 an hour. If you find anyone to accept that deal, I wouldn't expect much.

? id take pictures of his team for $20. moneys money.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 AM #7
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

If that is what you value your time at then so be it. Any self respecting photographer wouldn't want to get known as the cheap photographer. It is never good to be the cheapest photographer in what ever you market is.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:11 AM #8
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolpbn View Post
? id take pictures of his team for $20. moneys money.
You are willing to do work people generally pay good money for, at under min wage?

ya know....I got some home improvement work that I could use a helping hand with....
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 03-28-2007, 12:12 AM #9
oldskoolpbn
Legen...dary!

until i get a degree in photojournalism or get any professional teaching i would charge small prices just to get any business at all.
edit: drex if you lived close id be down to help you with whatever you got for $20, depending on how long of a day it is. i only say $20 for the whole day for the pb pictures because i enjoy taking photos. home improvement work is allright.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:15 AM #10
haywoodeee
really a 2k4er

haywoodeee owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
haywoodeee plays in the APPA beginner division
ok but seriously. 20 bux? that doesnt even fill a tank of gas.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:18 AM #11
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

Quote:
until i get a degree in photojournalism or get any professional teaching i would charge small prices just to get any business at all.
So a degree is what makes you a good photographer and gives you the ability to charge more? Better not tell that to the thousands of photographers who don't have degrees. They may go broke!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 AM #12
oldskoolpbn
Legen...dary!

haha o man ok heres the thing. if the field is as close as the field thats by my house then i dont need to worry about gas money. i dont really care how much time it would take to pp the pictures. who cares if i would just ask for $20? you guys just seem pissed because youre adults trying to support yourself and then a kid like me comes a long and charges waaaay less then you do and so youre out of work. get over it, its my personal business.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 AM #13
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

I understand it is your choice, but I am just telling you that you are just shooting yourself in the foot in the long run. If you are going to be putting time into something, don't you think you should be compensated fairly? Also, if you think that by being the cheap guy now you will have them hire you later when you do realize that you need to be making some money for the time you put in, you are way off. They are hiring you because you are the cheapest and when you decided to raise your rates they are just going to move onto the new kid that is taking ****ty pictures.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:41 AM #14
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
you guys just seem pissed because youre adults trying to support yourself and then a kid like me comes a long and charges waaaay less then you do and so youre out of work. get over it, its my personal business.
I'm no pro, I don't support myself on photography, nor do I come close to being able to. I'm 20 years old and it's as of right now, just a hobby. Would I ever sell my services for that little just to get my name out? Hell no, I'm worth more than that.

Sac is right, if you play the "cheapest guy around" card, you will need to eventually increase cost. Guess what? people who look for the cheapest of things are not looking for great quality, and when you do increase how much you charge they will go to the new guy who just slipped into your spot. At that point you will now be the adult that is mad about some kid coming in and hurting your business.

In a market with such small barriers for entry, and flooded with competitors. You want to have a reputation for quality, not price. Prices are easily matched, whereas quality and reputation is much harder to come by.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 AM #15
N0SEY (Banned)

Quote:
you guys just seem pissed because youre adults trying to support yourself and then a kid like me comes a long and charges waaaay less then you do and so youre out of work. get over it, its my personal business.
$20 is a lot more than I would ever pay you for your work.

I agree, look in the regional forums.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 AM #16
lop
RAIDER HATE

Annual Supporting Member
Do you just not have a job or something okdskool? I wouldnt even mow a lawn for $20 becuase it wouldnt be worth my time.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 AM #17
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
Well as a hobby photographer I would do it for free. Always looking to get more photos in my portfolio and experience.

If it were in indiana I would just show up with some good lenses a couple of memory cards a couple spare batteries and an open mind. Well plus other things to keep the camera safe. Make the team a cd and mail it to them.

Didn't know there were that many people on here that consider themselves worth the 100 or more.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 AM #18
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deceit View Post
Didn't know there were that many people on here that consider themselves worth the 100 or more.
So far my range is $40-300 an hour. The $40 was a deal and the $300 was just stupid (I'm not complaining). Usually I charge anywhere between $60-$85 an hour, depending on the work and the medium.

I think that's fair.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:00 AM #19
Deceit
What?

Sorry I meant something different when my fingers were typing.

I meant to say I didn't know there were that many people on here who actually have a large amount of income coming from paintball photography. I figure an amateur who has had successful shots in the past and is decent with Photoshop would jump at the chance to get more images under their belt with willing subjects. Just my thoughts...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:06 AM #20
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

That's understandable, and it's a good way to make contacts. I wouldn't have gotten half the jobs I've had if it wasn't for word of mouth. I originally started doing pictures for free and giving them to people as "gifts" so I could get my name out. I wouldn't charge a minimal amount, though. Either do it for free or do it for a fair price. If word gets out that you do cheap photos, people aren't going to expect to pay fairer prices with you. If instead you do photos as a "favor" or as "gifts," you still get your name out there and you're allowed to charge more in the future as you see fit.

In any event, I don't live in Maryland or Virginia, so I guess I don't belong in this thread.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 AM #21
Deceit
What?

Neither do I.

Was just trying to help the poor kid out.