PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:54 AM #1
crump582
I AM THE GREATEST!

The Shooter

I've not seen anybody talking this movie up much on here so I thought I would start a thread. I'm a HUGE Stephen Hunter fan (he wrote the book "Point of Impact" that the movie is based on) and I can't wait until Friday! The stories are rock solid and this should be a great movie.

I was thinking more like Tommy Lee Jones when reading the books, but Marky Mark ain't bad.

If you like reading (which I usually don't) check out the Stephen Hunter books with Earl or Bob Lee Swagger... bad *** snipers and always cool stories.

Please discuss...
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 PM #2
Charlie_Heston
Epic

Charlie_Heston is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
For a second I thought this was going to be about the one with Wesley Snipes titled "The Shooter" which basically has the same plot as "Shooter", but I think is going to be a straight to DVD from what I last heard.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0770806/
Quote:
An ex-CIA agent (Snipes) is asked to take out a terrorist, only to realize he's been set up by his former employer.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/
Quote:
A marksman (Marky Mark) living in exile is coaxed back into action after learning of a plot to kill the president. Ultimately double-crossed and framed for the attempt, he goes on the run to track the real killer and find out who exactly set him up, and why
If only they were released on the same day...

*EDIT* Damn POS computers...make me switch back and forth pages to edit info into posts...

PBN Steam Community

Last edited by Charlie_Heston : 03-22-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 PM #3
braindamage061
I am comfortably numb.

Mark Walhberg? Then i'll give it a chance. departed
Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM #4
crump582
I AM THE GREATEST!

The books are awesome... I hope the movie lives up to them.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 PM #5
bobbydaballer13
FIERCE

bobbydaballer13 plays in the PSP
bobbydaballer13 plays in the APPA D2 division
This was an incredible book and hope the movie is half as good. but from what some people are saying its not that great. and they changed alot from the book.
2008 World Cup Champion

2008 $$ $pyder Cup Champion $$
DYE play with the best.
FIERCE X-BALL LEAGUE (FXBL)
www.941paintball.com
Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 PM #6
jooishassassin70
SMUUUUUPH

the movie that comes out this week is called "shooter" then the one coming out in in may with wesley snipes is call "the shooter"
Old 03-22-2007, 05:06 PM #7
noober333 (Banned)

Yeah, there has been a lot of confusion between "Shooter" and "The Shooter"
Old 03-22-2007, 05:08 PM #8
SoberBear (Banned)

much love Marky Mark....I'll see this.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:43 PM #9
1andonlyagain

1andonlyagain is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I bought all the books Hunter wrote a while back, like 2-3 years ago, and they are all awesome. He is an incredible writer, my kinda ****! The Swagger's were the most badass people I've ever read about, Bob Lee is like my idol, lol.
I'm a gun-afficionado and Hunter is one too so his books go well with me, lamb and tuna fish.
I think Marky Mark will kill the movie. I just don't see Mr. underwear model as Bob Lee Swagger, the ex-marine sniper who is known to be one of the most accurate and deadly men alive. He had 2nd most kills as a sniper in 'Nam, he can shoot someone's eye out from 1kyrds away, he is the most ***-kicking man I've ever heard of! No way can Marky Mark play him. In all the pictures I've seen he isn't even wearing a bolo, stetson, or his Diamondback baseball cap.

I don't even think the movie can come close to the book. Everything, from the commericials to the trailers, seem to not fit right. I hope they atleast follow the major scenes from the book and use proper firearm techniques/terms. I want to see Swagger lug around that 700 in .308 and a nice little 1911 tucked away. If I see him with a single 9mm pistol I'll kill someone.

Anyone remember the first part of the book when Swagger is sitting on the cliff waiting for that old, wounded buck? Sitting out there in the cold waiting in silence and stillness for that epic shot? You tell me if Mr. Wahlberg could pull it off.

I do like Koteas as Payne though, he fits it well. I could see him weilding that sawn-off 12g Mossberg and taping up Ms. Fenn before the epic scene. I HATE Glover as Col. Johnson, Garrison as Donnie and Pena as Memphis.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The REAL Swagger would never, ever hold a .408 CheyTac M200sniper rifle like that. In real life it weighs around 20lbs.
His finger is on the trigger, he is holding the rifle in the standing posistion, his scope covers are down, the stock isn't adjusted to his cheekweld, ect. ect. ect.

His front hand is too far back, it should be moved closer to the bags. He doesn't even have a cheekweld, and the stock is on his sternum and not even shouldered. His arms also aren't spread out far enough. WTF?

(I have nothing against Walhberg as an actor, he should have won an award for his part in Departed and he was excellent in Perfect Storm, yet he just doesn't fit this movie.)

Last edited by 1andonlyagain : 03-23-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 AM #10
oneiros
disinformation

could be good. i might rent it

photography gallery
Old 03-23-2007, 12:34 AM #11
ThatGuy86

ThatGuy86 is a Supporting Member
ThatGuy86 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy86 supports our troops
ThatGuy86 plays in the APPA D1 division
Jesus 1andonly, you ripped it a new one before it even came out. Lol, it's a movie... it's not going to be perfectly accurate. Besides, I doubt 95% of the people who go to see this movie will know it was based on a book. Hell, I didn't even know it was based on a book, and I heard about this movie months ago.

They cast Wahlberg because he's a big name right now, and he'll bring people into the theaters. They're obviously not trying to match the book down to every little detail, so they picked an actor who the general public likes, and who they will believe could be a Marine.

Oh, fun little fact: Kate Mara, who plays Wahlberg's girlfriend in the movie, is granddaughter (maybe great-granddaughter) of Wellington Mara, owner of the Giants.

RIP DAN DONLON

Last edited by ThatGuy86 : 03-23-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 AM #12
lilassassin

ehh, ill probly dl it. but yea, in that first picture u posted, i hope he doesnt plan on shootin at that position, cuz he is gonna fall on his ***.
NJ JESTERS
Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 AM #13
1andonlyagain

1andonlyagain is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I just don't like to see wonderful books destroyed by movies.

Good books that made good movies: Perfect Storm, Godfather, Bourne Identity, Jurassic Park, Planet of the Apes, To Kill a Mockingbird, Crucible, Dances with Wolves, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, ect.

Bad Books good movies: Jaws, Forrest Gump, Some may say the Godfather,

Good books, bad movies: DaVinci code, Most Stephen King movies...

Last edited by 1andonlyagain : 03-23-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:09 AM #14
crump582
I AM THE GREATEST!

That's why I was thinking like a Tommy Lee Jones type... I'm going tonight and watching it... I'll let you know. I'm no gun expert (unless he shoots a Matrix) so I might not catch all the details.

I'm reading the Swagger book "Hot Springs" right now... the only one I have not yet read.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 AM #15
ThatGuy86

I understand what you're saying, I've been waiting for a movie based on Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for the longest time, and I'm horribly afraid that they're going to destroy it when they finally make it. I was just surprised by the tenacity you attacked this movie with, that's all. Who knows, maybe we'll all be surprised and it'll be really good.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 03-23-2007, 01:35 PM #16
crump582
I AM THE GREATEST!

I love these books... which is wierd for me... I never read for entertainment. Work related only usually. I was pumped when I heard it was coming, but nervous to.

If you like Tom Clancy you should check out some of the Stephen Hunter books. Pale Horse Coming and Havana are my favorites.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 PM #17
ThatGuy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump582 View Post
I love these books... which is wierd for me... I never read for entertainment. Work related only usually. I was pumped when I heard it was coming, but nervous to.

If you like Tom Clancy you should check out some of the Stephen Hunter books. Pale Horse Coming and Havana are my favorites.
Will do.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 03-23-2007, 10:02 PM #18
Speed_Scooter
MW **** the rest!

Speed_Scooter owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Speed_Scooter plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andonlyagain View Post

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The REAL Swagger would never, ever hold a .408 CheyTac M200sniper rifle like that. In real life it weighs around 20lbs.
His finger is on the trigger, he is holding the rifle in the standing posistion, his scope covers are down, the stock isn't adjusted to his cheekweld, ect. ect. ect.
Go watch the movie and ull understand that scene a lot more.....

Just got back from watching it myself. Excellent!! Mark Wahlberg does a great job!!!

As for the REAL Swagger, a novel character isn't REAL....

Everyone, just go see the movie!

OG FallOut Member
260 Mafia-Love us or Hate us

TradeMyGun.com--Trust(Old School)--Monster Jersey Sale--Rare Colored Ego7 F/S
Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 PM #19
PyroElf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andonlyagain View Post
I just don't like to see wonderful books destroyed by movies.

Good books that made good movies: Perfect Storm, Godfather, Bourne Identity, Jurassic Park, Planet of the Apes, To Kill a Mockingbird, Crucible, Dances with Wolves, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, ect.

Bad Books good movies: Jaws, Forrest Gump, Some may say the Godfather,

Good books, bad movies: DaVinci code, Most Stephen King movies...
Have you ever heard of Cormac McCarthy? An awesome writer from Texas, I think you would really, really like a few of his books. No Country for Old Men in particular. He wrote All the Pretty Horses, which was not a half bad movie IMO, but the book is much better. Blood Meridian is one of the most brutal books I have ever read.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 PM #20
Ben-Oblivion
Milkshakes!

Saw the movie tonight, it was sweet. Not sure how book readers will feel on it though.

DEFINITELY not a realistic movie.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:31 PM #21
crump582
I AM THE GREATEST!

I'm going tomorrow...