PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM #1
muffin9988
buttsecks!

What 'cocker to get.

Im thinking of buying an autococker and then from there just upgrading it and changing little poeices as i go along. But i need a good base o start with so i was think maybe a 04 or 05 Prostock or a Trilogy Comp/Pro. Which would you recomend starting with? I play about half and half between speedball and woodsball. I only want to spend about $200 on the gun itself so i have more money for upgrades.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM #2
badcompany141
Shayne UDmageLBserver

badcompany141 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
buy an already upgraded gun, you get more for ur money, just make sure that its not a lemon so to speak.buying a used car is pretty much like buying a used gun.

if u wanted something new tho, id go w/ something off actionvillage thats not a trilogy, i think they got one for like 190
Old 03-21-2007, 10:23 AM #3
Tesko
Rasta Safari

Tesko is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I agree with badcompany to an extent on the "lemon" concern. I do always suggest trying out what you're considering buying, but 'Cockers themselves are usually mistreated and mishandled by uneducated people, leading them to have problems, which people simply blame on the marker itself.

In that case, find a 'Cocker you like, and if you want it to play with right away, request the seller to send you a video of it firing. Used is really the way to go, you can find great deals on nice 'Cockers that already have aftermarket parts and such.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 PM #4
blackinches
blackinches!

yes find a used one. that's the best bang for your buck. i wouldn't get a trilogy because i don't like the way they look, and upgrading them is different from the other cockers. it has an integrated 3 way and a different front block.

Last edited by blackinches : 03-21-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:15 PM #5
tvbuster

You can get a 2004 prostock off of actionvillage for $190. This might be good for you because you are looking to upgrade BUT if you want something that already has some upgrades then get the 2005 Prostock for around 10 bucks more. It's a much better marker and comes with a delrin bolt among other things.
chrome eclipse blade frame
blue shocktech supa fly bolt clear dye stickies
chrome cp lightening drop
My Website: www.thefirstwealthishealth.myshaklee.com
Old 03-21-2007, 02:44 PM #6
WorrPro

If you're going to get a prostock, grab the 05'...its leaps and bounds ahead of the 04' for only a slight difference in price. I hate the bad rap trilogys still get for being cheap and different. Honestly, for 99$ from action village, grab the trilogy comp and a barrel kit. Trilogy's shoot exactly the same as any other autococker out there, people just don't like the lack of upgrades available to them as compared to prostocks. That argument doesn't hold true as far as regulators, barrels, bolts, drop forwards, trigger frames (with help from techT), or LPRs (With the help of palmers). Heck, you can even eblade them just like you would any other cocker.

Autocockers rely very heavily on having the right paint to barrel match, so buying a barrel kit is pretty much essential no matter what model you pick up. So you can either get a prostock for ~200$, or get the trilogy comp and barrel kit for ~200$. The first would just be bad economics. Trilogies even run better on Co2 if thats the gas you decide to use.

Your best bet though, grab something really nice at a bargain price...buy used.

-------> 21 <-------
Old 03-21-2007, 03:03 PM #7
D4Disorder
dont shoot cats!

dont get a trilogy they arent as upgradable.
05 prostock would be your best bet
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM #8
Trilogy_Tac
Tactical Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4Disorder View Post
dont get a trilogy they arent as upgradable.
05 prostock would be your best bet
the only thing you cant upgrade is the 4 way........
Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM #9
Lukie

I like my trilogy. It's not the same as my Karni or my Prostock but it is a nice marker. When I have issues with the Karni I pull out the Trilogy Pro. Not much that can go wrong with it.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:44 PM #10
WorrPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilogy_Tac View Post
the only thing you cant upgrade is the 4 way........
I love how people still don't realize that...sometimes I think people just like spending money unneccissarily.

oh, and its a 3-way

Please, to all those people that say to avoid trilogys, tell me how in the world they shoot any differently then a prostock. Please tell me. Once the weather gets nice around here I think I'm gonna have to shoot a video of my trilogy in action, chrono results and all. Fundamentally all cockers are the same!!

-------> 21 <-------
Old 03-21-2007, 04:32 PM #11
CrazyLittle (Banned)

CrazyLittle donated to help Peyton Trent
CrazyLittle is playing at Living Legends III
CrazyLittle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrazyLittle supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorrPro View Post
Please, to all those people that say to avoid trilogys, tell me how in the world they shoot any differently then a prostock. Please tell me. Once the weather gets nice around here I think I'm gonna have to shoot a video of my trilogy in action, chrono results and all. Fundamentally all cockers are the same!!
Quality control is not as tight on the trilogy bodies. I had one where the barrel reciever was not concentric with the bolt. It wasn't lined up centered.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 PM #12
WorrPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLittle View Post
Quality control is not as tight on the trilogy bodies. I had one where the barrel reciever was not concentric with the bolt. It wasn't lined up centered.
Sorry, but thats only the combination of bad luck and a manufacturing error. It could happen with any company on any gun.

-------> 21 <-------
Old 03-21-2007, 05:11 PM #13
k.macocker
customcockers.com

Quote:
I love how people still don't realize that...sometimes I think people just like spending money unneccissarily.

oh, and its a 3-way

no actually its a 4 way...

Here is my theory.
Beginner = calls it a 3 way
semi experienced (has some info)= it becomes a 4 way
Experienced, give up on confusing the beginners and go back to calling it a 3 way, lol

and while the trill function the same, the 3 way can not be upgraded, only the timing rod. and I have bought a trill for the sole purpose of taking it apart to the bone to study and reassemble, then sold it. W/O an eblade the stock frame and "3-way" hold it back. I am not a fan of the STO 3 ways either, way too long. If an eblade is applied, you elimate these 2 weak points I mentioned and it will most likely rip with the weak points being the ram and lpr... Something to think about,
enjoy,
kmac
Old 03-21-2007, 05:42 PM #14
muffin9988
buttsecks!

Alright, thanks for all the info and suggestions. Sounds like my best bet is to find an 05 Prostock or an already upgraded one. Any places you guys know of that are good WGP sources?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:38 PM #15
blaster44

If you want information on "How to" questions, go to www.cockertech.com, www.moodypaintball.com, and www.airpowered.com. As for sells, check out www.actionvillage.com.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 PM #16
WorrPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.macocker View Post
no actually its a 4 way...

Here is my theory.
Beginner = calls it a 3 way
semi experienced (has some info)= it becomes a 4 way
Experienced, give up on confusing the beginners and go back to calling it a 3 way, lol

and while the trill function the same, the 3 way can not be upgraded, only the timing rod. and I have bought a trill for the sole purpose of taking it apart to the bone to study and reassemble, then sold it. W/O an eblade the stock frame and "3-way" hold it back. I am not a fan of the STO 3 ways either, way too long. If an eblade is applied, you elimate these 2 weak points I mentioned and it will most likely rip with the weak points being the ram and lpr... Something to think about,
enjoy,
kmac
Not sure which group of your theory I fall in to. I'm no beginner, but I've always called it a 3-way due to the fact that this is how they are marketed.

It is easy to dissect nearly every paintball marker on the market and simply point on which parts of it are a weakness. Doing that does not answer my question of how a trilogy shoots any differently from a prostock, or any autococker for that matter. Especially when parts like the LPR, trigger frame, and ram are so easily replaceable, and are things you may replace on any cocker out there.

On a side not, calling the trigger frame a weakness is also a matter of perception, I actually love the stock trilogy comp trigger frame. Used like a 1 finger hinge frame, with the TechT shaft kit installed, I can shoot it faster than a two finger frame.

-------> 21 <-------
Old 03-21-2007, 06:56 PM #17
braneserjen
hmm...Collide-a-scope?

If you're getting an autococker, go for the 05 prostock. If you can pick up a karnivor used, thats nice as well. As far as upgrades go you'll be i lil' bit hard pressed to find an eblade 2. They do have the worrframe which, while not being too bad, isn't all that brilliant either.
Check around the B/S/T threads for something good. Other than that, you can always check around on ebay. Look into one of the Hybrid Quest autocockers. Got one of those as a project and they come pretty good stock.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:58 PM #18
Contour
---!R.I.P!---

Quote:
Sorry, but thats only the combination of bad luck and a manufacturing error. It could happen with any company on any gun.
Um, no. There is a reason they're 100$ don't kid yourself. These are made in china or somewhere over there with very little quality control and precision (relative to the U.S). I'm not saying the trilogy is a bad marker, is bad to start with. I'm just saying you're sacrificing quality for the low price.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:22 PM #19
Trilogy_Tac
Tactical Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contour View Post
Um, no. There is a reason they're 100$ don't kid yourself. These are made in china or somewhere over there with very little quality control and precision (relative to the U.S). I'm not saying the trilogy is a bad marker, is bad to start with. I'm just saying you're sacrificing quality for the low price.
i havent had any quality issues out of the 3 trilogy tacs i have at the house....and i have talked to wgp numerous times about the guns, and they said they would fix any quality issues or even issues caused by us tinkering with the guns at no charge other than shipping....... so i am not too worried about it. i will say that my trilly sf shoots heck of alot better than my e-spyder did. if you have the money to step up to a prostock or a used karni then go for it. i play woodsball and my trilly tac fits the bill just fine for me, doing some basic ups and be done with it. on a side note, i am planning on building an autococker from scratch, just because i do like to tinker with stuff and timing and working on autocockers seems to be a lost art, at least in my area.

Last edited by Trilogy_Tac : 03-21-2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 PM #20
speed_GA
GO MAVS

speed_GA is a founding member
speed_GA supports Empire
I would wait for the new guns to come out
Old 03-21-2007, 07:40 PM #21
speed_GA
GO MAVS

speed_GA is a founding member
speed_GA supports Empire
opps I saw you only had 200 to spend on the gun itself....well in that case I would get a nicely upped 2000+ autococker.