PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-20-2007, 10:36 PM #1
GooG
Formally KnownAs MiniGooG

How to go about asking people.

So i dont ball anymore, but i want to pick up on photography seeing as i just got a d50. I want to go down to the local field and take pictures, so do you think i should just go and ask some of the newer local teams if they care if i shoot them? I was thinking about later on doing this for some side cash for teams, and i think if i hook a local team up and if i keep progressing, it might work out?

Question, do i just ask them bluntly if i can shoot them while they practice?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 PM #2
ImpactkidzJoe
Ride or Die

has been a member for 10 years
Nah, just shoot and build a port. Then show them what you can do and set up package deals. Make sure you don't waste your time building a portfolio with ****ty teams, make sure your port is absolutely banging.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:52 PM #3
Thanatology
Are you listening?

Thanatology is a Supporting Member
most teams would be flattered if u asked to take shots of them. they would love to see how the shots come out. i dont see the harm in asking just to be on the safe side. technically, they cant do anything about it if u do shoot them without their permission since it's a public place, but the owners might kick u out if the teams cause a fuss.
Last edited by Thanatology : Today at 13:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 PM #4
oldskoolpbn
Legen...dary!

Thanatology, i just noticed your avatar has a little thing that blinks like every 20 seconds it seems like. crazy.

GooG, the teams shouldn't mind, only problem i could remotely think of would be it could cause a distraction to the players. I doubt that would happen though.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 PM #5
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
generally speaking... you'll need permission from the owner of the field because it's his property. If it's during a tournament, most smaller events require that both team captains ok you being on the field during the event. And you'll want to talk to the event promoter or director.

But even if it's just a practice or whatever, it still doesn't hurt to let the guys know what you are doing as a courtesy. Plus, it's a good ice breaker and will get you talking to them about your pics.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 PM #6
GooG

yea, this is mainly for practice for me, so im gonna go and see whats up ask if i can shoot during a practice or something.

-edit my d50 is comming with the stock 18-55 lens, what would be a good lense to invest in for shooting sports and maybe nature.

If you could list a cheap, medium and expensive one id appreciate it.

Last edited by GooG : 03-20-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 PM #7
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
I could list 3 off the top of my head if you were a cononite. but I don't know have the nikon lenses down... I'd guess they have a similar run to the canons tho.. look for a 70-300 f4-5.6 for around $189, a 70-200 f4 for around $599 and a 70-200 f2.8 for around $1200.

check out sigma... they make versions of all of those that are a little less expensive.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 PM #8
GooG

thanks, ill probably play around with my camera and then decide what i need for a lense.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 AM #9
ImpactkidzJoe
Ride or Die

You can go for the 80-200/2.8 that doesn't have VR(useless in sports) for a lot less than the 70-200/2.8 VR.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 AM #10
GooG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactkidzJoe View Post
You can go for the 80-200/2.8 that doesn't have VR(useless in sports) for a lot less than the 70-200/2.8 VR.
a bit out of my range for now, im gonna get a 70-300 next if i get anything. i want to know my camera before i decide it needs upgrading.

what would be good things to start out shooting with the stock 18-55 ?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 AM #11
ImpactkidzJoe
Ride or Die

Anything?

The 70-300 is garbage. Save up for quality glass. Its the most important.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 AM #12
GooG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactkidzJoe View Post
Anything?

The 70-300 is garbage. Save up for quality glass. Its the most important.
yea i was talking about if i get anything right now then it will be the 70-300. but i think im gonna chill and maybe in a couple of months get something new.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:14 AM #13
Army_of_Orr
OG PhotoMob

Army_of_Orr is a Paintball photographer
I have a 70-300, trust me a 80-200 is way better
Old 03-21-2007, 07:41 AM #14
thebigx
Blue Letter Society

thebigx is a Supporting Member
re: shooting people in public. this is something that's commonly debated in photography forums and the general outcome is... if you are going to take pictures of people for profit gain and or publishing material then you must ask for permission and be prepared with a document of release or consent.

what i find happening alot when i take pictures of people that i dont intend to use for profit or publishing reasons during events is, they come up to me and ask me questions and that usually leads to them asking for copies which turns into a sale.

but, it's always better to be safe than sorry! so the safer route is to always ask.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:43 AM #15
[702] NO$EY (Banned)

Don't bother asking, just go ahead and quit.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:46 AM #16
GooG

Quote:
Originally Posted by [702] NO$EY View Post
Don't bother asking, just go ahead and quit.
you get no cool points... Im new to the photography forums but im not gonna take **** from little pricks that dont have anything better to do.

Also thanks for the info on public shooting!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM #17
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigx View Post
re: shooting people in public. this is something that's commonly debated in photography forums and the general outcome is... if you are going to take pictures of people for profit gain and or publishing material then you must ask for permission and be prepared with a document of release or consent.
Wrong

I recall there was a case in NYC where a guy came across a candid of himself on display and for sale and decided to sue. In the end it was ruled that since the photograph was taken in a public plance and was not used for commercial promotion than the photographer was in the right.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM #18
jeremy_maillet

jeremy_maillet is a Paintball photographer
jeremy_maillet owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jeremy_maillet plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooG View Post
you get no cool points... Im new to the photography forums but im not gonna take **** from little pricks that dont have anything better to do.

Also thanks for the info on public shooting!
GooG, just to save yourself time, Nosey is a good photographer, you calling him a prick or whatever, will enrage him more... Then when and usually new photographer do ask for his help, well if i was him i would be reluckten(sp?) to do so. Watch out for who's feet you step on.

Playonpics.com
Eastern CXBL photographer | PSP Profield photographer

1D MarkIII | 7D | 24-70L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 300mm F/2.8L IS | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII | Computrekker | Other lenses and junk
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 PM #19
GooG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_maillet View Post
GooG, just to save yourself time, Nosey is a good photographer, you calling him a prick or whatever, will enrage him more... Then when and usually new photographer do ask for his help, well if i was him i would be reluckten(sp?) to do so. Watch out for who's feet you step on.
I never said he wasnt a good photographer. He shouldnt post useless **** in forums to look cool, and i couldnt care less if i "step on his toes" or step on anyone elses that wants to be a dick. If they think there bad *** they can take a plane ride to my house because talking **** on the internet is worthless. I never said anything to provoke his unworthy comments. So basically what im saying is if im asking for help, you can post helpful remarks or nothing at all.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out in this thread, im not a dick, but i dont like to be ****ed with. Pics to come later!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:41 PM #20
TacoChico

yeah most teams would have no problem with having you tag along. especially if you share your shots with them.

Originally Posted By I <3 T3H BUTTSECKS
I was jerking off lastnight to videos on my computer. Then I looked up at my TV and U.S. girls gymnastics was on in HD. I just kept on going.

**** OA.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:58 PM #21
Trevor Rules
I like things.

GooG just shoot the pictures but also talk with the people. Most ballers would love to get attention with the camera...But nosey is a big influence on these boards and a great photographer. Like Jeremy said "Watch who's feet you step on"