PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM #1
ST:T Resident Canadian

I think I'm going to go crazy!

For the past 3 hours I've been trying to install XP on my new computer. I have a burned XP Home disk that someone gave to me 4 or 5 years ago so I popped it into the CD drive and booted the computer up. After showing the regulars (mobo screen and whatnot) it says hit any key, so I hit a key and the screen goes blank except for a blinking underscore, then after a few seconds it gives me this message.

"Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

So I rebooted and it still gave me the same error. So I take the CD out and put it back in and hit a key. It just repeats the same message to me. Then I thought it just might not be booting properly so I go into the BIOS and make sure it is set to boot from the CD. It is, the order configuration is:

1st Boot Device [IDE:TSSTcorpCD/DVD]
2nd Boot Device [HDD: PM-WDC WD2500K]
3rd Boot Device [1st FLOPPY DRIVE]
4th Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]

I have no floppy drive and I have no clue what ATAPI CD-ROM is. The first one is my CD drive and the second is my HD. And on the right hand side of the BIOS screen for the description thing it says.

"A device enclosed in parenthsis has been disabled in the corrosponding type menu"

The Boot Devices have brackets around them so does that mean they are disabled?

Anyway, so I try the XP CD again and I get that same error. Then it strikes me, that the XP disk could be just a reinstall disk and not work because of that. Well having no other option I whip out my legit copy of Windows 95. Same error!! Now here's the weird part. I have Ubuntu 5.02 so I threw that in and it booted up and brought me to the Ubuntu install screen!!

I'm getting insanely fed up with this. Does anyone know the answer to my problems?

Thanks.
"Originally posted by zellthemedic: I swear Ian. You're my roll model."

ST:Tech - We has Canadians

Last edited by 12345421 : 03-14-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement