Old 03-13-2007, 08:25 PM #22
MPC
gettin jiggy wit it

MPC is playing at Living Legends III
MPC owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MPC supports Team VICIOUS
MPC is for the Gunfight
The Answer:

The term "geek" originally referred to the carnival performers whose act consisted of biting the heads off chickens and eating glass. Over time it came to be applied to anyone who got paid to do work considered odd or bizarre by mainstream society.

The term now enjoys a special status within the technical community, particularly among particularly knowledgable computer programmers. To identify oneself as a "geek" indicates a recognition that most people still consider programming computers to be a bizarre act, along with a certain fierce satisfaction in being very good at their inglorious profession.

That most software geeks now easily earn twice as much as the average laborer just sweetens their defiant embrace of the term.

Note: Unlike the word "nerd," which is always pejorative, "geek" often carries a positive connotation when used by one of the group. The use of the term by outsiders is considered insulting.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM #23
paintballonaim (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
My friends all call me a nerd, but basically it's because I built my computer and still play video games.

It's funny - one of my friends "gave up" playing Counter-Strike: Source so he could get girlfriends. He quit CS only a little before he and a girl got together. They broke up, and he is CS:Sless as well as girlfriend-less. This was in the summer. He still has no girlfriend.

Point I am trying to make: It's ok to play games (as long as you don't over do it), and giving them up won't really make your social life go up much... Unless you're the kind of person who plays 24/7.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:19 AM #24
emu mafia (Banned)

almost every guy is a geek. We like technology and ****, but we don't base our life off of WoW, which is what nerds do.
Geeks can also play sports fairly well, nerds can't for their life.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 AM #25
OA Baller
RIP Will S,Chris G,Nina M

OA Baller is a Supporting Member
nerds also tend to weight half some geeks weight, unless they are the compulsive eating nerds.

urban dictionary defined nerd as the kid you picked on in high school but ended up working for later in life.
Unsigned Photos

Lambda Chi Alpha - Phi Omega Zeta
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 AM #26
OA Baller
RIP Will S,Chris G,Nina M

OA Baller is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballonaim View Post
My friends all call me a nerd, but basically it's because I built my computer and still play video games.

It's funny - one of my friends "gave up" playing Counter-Strike: Source so he could get girlfriends. He quit CS only a little before he and a girl got together. They broke up, and he is CS:Sless as well as girlfriend-less. This was in the summer. He still has no girlfriend.

Point I am trying to make: It's ok to play games (as long as you don't over do it), and giving them up won't really make your social life go up much... Unless you're the kind of person who plays 24/7.
exactly, and if u take care of ur personal hygeine and dont talk about gaming 24/7 the girls will still like you, i know personally my girlfreind that got back together with me like 5 mins ago:tuPx10 made a list of **** for me to not talk to her about including paintball, gaming, and a few other things.
Unsigned Photos

Lambda Chi Alpha - Phi Omega Zeta
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 AM #27
ST:T Resident Canadian

To me:

Geeks are losers, have terrible social skills, weak, not many friends, act like they know a lot about computers but all they really know if how to get to level 60 in WoW in 20 days.

Nerds are smart, don't dress very trendy, they're social skills are up to par, and they do know a lot about computers but they're modest about it and don't flaunt their ability.

I'm a nerd in disguise . This Geek in my class was saying that AMD processors are better for gaming and I explained to him why C2D is better with all the technical aspects. It was a glorius moment....
"Originally posted by zellthemedic: I swear Ian. You're my roll model."

ST:Tech - We has Canadians
Old 03-14-2007, 07:03 AM #28
Ironfist Max

i spend most of my time in front of a computer screen, but i also have a lot of sex...i have the benefit of not looking like a nerd
Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 AM #29
sneakyj0e
unbannable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OA Baller View Post
exactly, and if u take care of ur personal hygeine and dont talk about gaming 24/7 the girls will still like you, i know personally my girlfreind that got back together with me like 5 mins ago:tuPx10 made a list of **** for me to not talk to her about including paintball, gaming, and a few other things.
WRONG, I know this hot girl, and all we ever do is talk about games. My girlfriend doesn't even want me to hang out with her, thinks i will cheat cuz she is hotter. But anyways, it all depends on the girls, but then again i'm not ugly either. Playing games does decrease your social life, The more you play, the more of a loner you will be. When I was homeschooled, I was playing Halo2 for so much, I got to like 400 in the world before they reset the scores and ****. and made it easier to go up in the levels. My friends would come over and I would be there in my boxers playing halo2 and they would leave. Then I did the stupedest/best thing I could have done. I modded my xbox so I could glitch in halo2, accidently erased the main page and I couldn't get back on xbox live. So that was it, my gaming days were over. this was like october 2005, when 2006 came I had done sooooooo many things in the first three months, I can't even begin to tell you, and I wouldn't have if I still had xbl. Last year has been one of the most fufiling(sp) years of my life, and I didn't play xbox live once. This year is going to be even better. What i'm trying to say is, if your life is games, computer, you need to start living. Do something that MATTERS. Paintball is an example, this is a paintball forum, although I don't play anymore, we all came here because we did or still do play something that is alot better than staying home. Games are fun, but they can ruin your chances for many many better and awsome experiences. I'm getting off this right now lol I have school tomarrow.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:08 PM #30
Teampredator
F* You, Pay me

my friend jerrod he is obsessed with WoW and he is ripped he plays football and baseball he the most popular in my grade and my other friends Shane, Jake, Charlie are all popular too and they arnt the type that go into hiding and they dont look like nerds......we are more preppy and jock like
but i dont play wow because i dont feel like paying money
MINI Militia Captain #1
Buckeye Ballaz Club #7
Ohio Ballers Club #34
My Feedback +5/-0
If i can earn a ton of money a month so can you use this referall code on cashcrate and you will be way on your way 1132593
Old 03-14-2007, 03:58 PM #31
VArippah22
Goin' Green!

I consider those that like to play games and stuff but lead normal lives just people that like to play them. I don't label them because I honestly don't know one person that doesn't like to play them at all.

A Nerd could be anything.Its someone that spends a lot of their time doing one thing and knows a whole lot about it. You could be a music nerd,You could be a college football nerd like myself. Or you could be a computer nerd. About anyone is a nerd in some form.

I consider those that love to play games nonstop.. mainly MMORPGs, dress weird, love anime, and are just socially retarded..geeks.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:05 PM #32
Metninja

Nerd: usually really boring to talk to, overachiever, holier than thou attitude. Into really boring, trivial crap
Geek: Someone who is really enthusiastic about something, most commonly games/movies/music/technology/etc., and is otherwise pretty normal.

I'd put myself in the latter group.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:05 PM #33
FlashZ33
REVO

FlashZ33 plays in the PSP
FlashZ33 plays in the APPA D2 division
Geeks get the job done.

/thread
Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 PM #34
Nathan Explosion (Banned)

I definitely think so. I know a lot about computers and what not, but I don't sit around playing games all day. I watch [adult swim] and South Park but that's as far as it goes for cartoons really. I don't watch any anime. I want to play Halo 2 tonight, but I don't even know if I'll get around to that. I'm hoping so, I've been so busy the past couple of days I've had to pass on it.