Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-07-2007, 06:40 PM #43
not_manbot_revenge

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
The world was supposed to end in 2000 and 06-06-06

As well as Avian flu, west nile, mad cow, SARS, and terrorists were suppoed to kill us by now.
jesus was supposed to come back too!

haha, just mildly poking fun, don't take offense.

AIM=angryjacks hit me up
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM #44
Treasure Slaughter
Walrus

This will be the same thing as '666'. Everyone flipped **** over the date..and it came, I woke up..took a ****, went in the shower and wasted my day at school..and I here I am..still live and kickin'. Nothings going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysk83 View Post
The world will end, there really isn't a question about it.
...And..do you have any ****ing proof? The lights aren't just going to go out and it's not like every living thing will just fall over and die..

Last edited by Treasure Slaughter : 03-07-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:02 PM #45
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure Slaughter View Post
This will be the same thing as '666'. Everyone flipped **** over the date..and it came, I woke up..took a ****, went in the shower and wasted my day at school..and I here I am..still live and kickin'. Nothings going to happen.

...And..do you have any ****ing proof? The lights aren't just going to go out and it's not like every living thing will just fall over and die..
when the sun burns out, that very thing make happen. But we wont be here so...

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 PM #46
Treasure Slaughter
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann playa View Post
when the sun burns out, that very thing make happen. But we wont be here so...
So the sun is just going to randomly burn out on that exact day? Why not tomorrow..or next week?
Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 PM #47
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure Slaughter View Post
So the sun is just going to randomly burn out on that exact day? Why not tomorrow..or next week?
I didnt say that particular day. I said someday

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 03-07-2007, 07:13 PM #48
Treasure Slaughter
Walrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann playa View Post
I didnt say that particular day. I said someday
Oh! I mis-read it, my bad.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM #49
jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9a0k7 View Post
omgs you are psychics!

when am i going to die?

when is the world going to end?

what did i last eat?
I have these answers.

You will never die. You are a robot, but soon you will be deployed as part of a secret nazi robot army to take over the world, and this is when the world will end. You last ate motor oil you robotic freak.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM #50
Laszlo1

Yeah... I'm guessing it's just hype... actually not guessing, reaching that conclusion by logic. And even if we do learn when the world will explode, we'll travel to another planet. I know we don't have the technology yet, but if the world will blow up in 100 years, I think people will have plenty of motivation to donate to science... In summary: Humans=Juggernauts.

My man parts make me sick.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM #51
read5656
Read Barlow

1/1/00: People thought of Y2K, nothing happened.

06/06/06: People thought of the antichrist, nothing happened.

12/21/12: Nothing will happen.
|-----Dominate------ |||| '|";\__
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|...,]
"(@)'(@)""""''' |(@ )(@ ) ````(@)
Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM #52
bambi_slaughter (Banned)
god is genocide

i think December 21, 2012 was also mentioned in the bible code as armagedon, so thats two things going against that one day. i dont really belive it, but it would be a very interesting thing to see.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 PM #53
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambi_slaughter View Post
i think December 21, 2012 was also mentioned in the bible code as armagedon, so thats two things going against that one day. i dont really belive it, but it would be a very interesting thing to see.
But the DVC was a fake, so wouldn't that just make the date a fake as well?

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-08-2007, 02:44 PM #54
bambi_slaughter (Banned)
god is genocide

is the DVC the divinchi (sp) code?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM #55
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
is the DVC the divinchi (sp) code?
yeah.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-08-2007, 02:50 PM #56
bambi_slaughter (Banned)
god is genocide

was it proven to be fake? i didnt hear any recent news about it.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:18 PM #57
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
was it proven to be fake? i didnt hear any recent news about it.
are you kidding? this is exactly why I don't like those kinds of things, like the lost tomb of Jesus Docudrama, as well...
Warning - long post:
I bought it on DirectTV, Tivo and recorded it...

(pre-information with a Gospel of Judas preface) As a "wannabee" biblical archaeologist, a find like (Judas Gospel, specifically) this is absolutely important and meaningful in context as pseudographic works go. I would very, very much like to get a hold of some images to try my hand at Coptic translations to koine, and English.

I think it also could help to understand the Christians of the time (even the non-orthodox-gnostics). Not that I need to say it, but cannon it is not. Though, again, I would love to see what is available to read for myself.

I think that it is reprehensible how it is portrayed (Nat. Geographic presentation of the Judas Gospel) and the slant that is being presented. I was hoping to see a non-biased (okay, I can hope, right?) documentary - it was not.

what I saw was nearly not even documentary, but a fiction with anti-Christian theme. Well, not so much that it's ANTI-Christian, but more like the orthodoxy is incorrect with it's closed cannon. The glorification of "Christian"/Gnosticism was a slant that is just fantasy, with no evidences.

some of the "reporting" was good, though. I just wish they had stuck with the facts rather than the biased conjecture. or at least present other conjecturing theories and not represent theirs as "the most reasonable possibility" (almost as if it is fact).

I have found some images on the internet of some of the pages of the text and have doen some translations of my own. and though am no expert in Coptic, let alone coptic that was translated from koine Greek and maybe aramaic/other Semitic dialect - it seems to be authentic.

authentic as in a real 3rd/4th century document, not authentic as in Bible Cannon.

The translated to English version can be found on the national geographic site

and the Coptic direct copy from the manuscripts can be found ther as well (same NG site).

I read it with an open mind and understanding of the Bible. What's being presented to the public, though is not necessarily the whole story. These 13 pages or so, seem to be only a small portion of the codex (book), that may have been up to 60 pages or so in length.

With that, continuing to the davinci code, which, by the way is a complete work of fiction, has error in what it presents as historical fact. but then it is fiction, so why should it make the differentiation?

it was great for entertainment purposes, but historicity it is not. I have heard reviews of the movie from conservative an liberal alike - most of them are agreeing that it is failing. I am told that at the cannes festival, people were walking out before it was finished.

Critics may or may not be accurate. I think that the challenge is that when people watch these works of fiction, as with the left behind movies, or even harry potter movies - sometimes people forget that it is made-up. it is not "real", and they are works of fiction.

remember that scholars, both liberal and conservative, agree that the "facts" as presented in this movie, are anything but that. I own a English translation of the Nag Hammadi Library as well as many of the 30 or so "gnostic" (so called) Gospels and texts.

Works that are important to the understanding of context, but not from a movie perspective. The Gospel of Mary (as with the Gospel of Judas or the Gospel of Thomas, and most of the other non-canonical works) is neither a Gospel, nor was it written by Mary magdalene.

In any case, I will not discourage anyone from going to see it, or reading the book. it was a pretty good movie. kinda like a cross between battlefield earth and left behind and National Treasure! hehhehhee

After reading the book -
Here's my initial notes, as there is a starting off on very shakey ground - entertaining or not...

Quote:
“Fact” (as mentioned in the books Acknowledgments, and before the story begins in the prologue) - The Priory of Sion—a European secret society founded in 1099—is a real organization. In 1975 Paris’s Bibliothèque Nationale discovered parchments known as Les Dossiers Secrets, identifying numerous members of the Priory of Sion, including Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Leonardo da Vinci.
The real scoop (as I have studied and discovered):
Scholars have done a solid job of pointing out the fictions that interweave Brown’s "facts." Notably, the "Priory of Sion" is "real" only in the sense that it really is the modern invention of Pierre Plantard, a peculiar Frenchman with royalist and anti-Semitic views. It dates to the year 1956, not 1099. Plantard’s hoax merely took the name of a medieval monastic order that had ceased to exist by the 14th century and which had nothing to do with legends about Jesus’ fathering children.

Pierre Plantard (1920-2000), the French monarchist and anti-Semite who gave us the “Priory of Sion,” spent much of his life inventing minuscule esoteric organizations intended to “purify” France of the evil influences of modernity—and of Judaism. In 1940 he wrote of the “terrible Masonic and Jewish conspiracy” that threatened France.

The Priory of Sion was one group he started. The point of this occult order was to advance Plantard’s claim to be the surviving heir of the ancient Merovingian line of French kings, whose “holy blood” was guarded by the Priory. The idea that the Merovingians were the descendants of Jesus and Mary Magdalene was added on later.

The Priory of Sion is a hoax.

“Brown relies on a 1982 publication, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, for his information on the Priory of Sion. The authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail relied on documents provided them by Pierre Plantard….Throughout the 1960s and the 1970s, Plantard created a series of documents ‘proving’ the existence of a bloodline descending from Mary Magdalene, through the kings of France, down to the present day to include (surprise!) Pierre Plantard.

He began using the name Plantard de Saint-Clair, saying the Saint-Clairs were direct descendants of the line of Jesus and Mary. In 1993, Plantard’s name came up in light of a political scandal involving a close friend of the French president Francois Mitterand. When called up to testify, Plantard, under oath, admitted he had made up the whole Priory scheme.”

I could get into how each "code" is erroneous, but will stop here, but if you really want to read more, shoot me a PM with questions. there have been books and Scholarly reports published about debunking that work.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 03-08-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:43 PM #58
bambi_slaughter (Banned)
god is genocide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
are you kidding? this is exactly why I don't like those kinds of things, like the lost tomb of Jesus Docudrama, as well...
Warning - long post:
I bought it on DirectTV, Tivo and recorded it...

(pre-information with a Gospel of Judas preface) As a "wannabee" biblical archaeologist, a find like (Judas Gospel, specifically) this is absolutely important and meaningful in context as pseudographic works go. I would very, very much like to get a hold of some images to try my hand at Coptic translations to koine, and English.

I think it also could help to understand the Christians of the time (even the non-orthodox-gnostics). Not that I need to say it, but cannon it is not. Though, again, I would love to see what is available to read for myself.

I think that it is reprehensible how it is portrayed (Nat. Geographic presentation of the Judas Gospel) and the slant that is being presented. I was hoping to see a non-biased (okay, I can hope, right?) documentary - it was not.

what I saw was nearly not even documentary, but a fiction with anti-Christian theme. Well, not so much that it's ANTI-Christian, but more like the orthodoxy is incorrect with it's closed cannon. The glorification of "Christian"/Gnosticism was a slant that is just fantasy, with no evidences.

some of the "reporting" was good, though. I just wish they had stuck with the facts rather than the biased conjecture. or at least present other conjecturing theories and not represent theirs as "the most reasonable possibility" (almost as if it is fact).

I have found some images on the internet of some of the pages of the text and have doen some translations of my own. and though am no expert in Coptic, let alone coptic that was translated from koine Greek and maybe aramaic/other Semitic dialect - it seems to be authentic.

authentic as in a real 3rd/4th century document, not authentic as in Bible Cannon.

The translated to English version can be found on the national geographic site

and the Coptic direct copy from the manuscripts can be found ther as well (same NG site).

I read it with an open mind and understanding of the Bible. What's being presented to the public, though is not necessarily the whole story. These 13 pages or so, seem to be only a small portion of the codex (book), that may have been up to 60 pages or so in length.

With that, continuing to the davinci code, which, by the way is a complete work of fiction, has error in what it presents as historical fact. but then it is fiction, so why should it make the differentiation?

it was great for entertainment purposes, but historicity it is not. I have heard reviews of the movie from conservative an liberal alike - most of them are agreeing that it is failing. I am told that at the cannes festival, people were walking out before it was finished.

Critics may or may not be accurate. I think that the challenge is that when people watch these works of fiction, as with the left behind movies, or even harry potter movies - sometimes people forget that it is made-up. it is not "real", and they are works of fiction.

remember that scholars, both liberal and conservative, agree that the "facts" as presented in this movie, are anything but that. I own a English translation of the Nag Hammadi Library as well as many of the 30 or so "gnostic" (so called) Gospels and texts.

Works that are important to the understanding of context, but not from a movie perspective. The Gospel of Mary (as with the Gospel of Judas or the Gospel of Thomas, and most of the other non-canonical works) is neither a Gospel, nor was it written by Mary magdalene.

In any case, I will not discourage anyone from going to see it, or reading the book. it was a pretty good movie. kinda like a cross between battlefield earth and left behind and National Treasure! hehhehhee

After reading the book -
Here's my initial notes, as there is a starting off on very shakey ground - entertaining or not...

The real scoop (as I have studied and discovered):
Scholars have done a solid job of pointing out the fictions that interweave Brown’s "facts." Notably, the "Priory of Sion" is "real" only in the sense that it really is the modern invention of Pierre Plantard, a peculiar Frenchman with royalist and anti-Semitic views. It dates to the year 1956, not 1099. Plantard’s hoax merely took the name of a medieval monastic order that had ceased to exist by the 14th century and which had nothing to do with legends about Jesus’ fathering children.

Pierre Plantard (1920-2000), the French monarchist and anti-Semite who gave us the “Priory of Sion,” spent much of his life inventing minuscule esoteric organizations intended to “purify” France of the evil influences of modernity—and of Judaism. In 1940 he wrote of the “terrible Masonic and Jewish conspiracy” that threatened France.

The Priory of Sion was one group he started. The point of this occult order was to advance Plantard’s claim to be the surviving heir of the ancient Merovingian line of French kings, whose “holy blood” was guarded by the Priory. The idea that the Merovingians were the descendants of Jesus and Mary Magdalene was added on later.

The Priory of Sion is a hoax.

“Brown relies on a 1982 publication, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, for his information on the Priory of Sion. The authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail relied on documents provided them by Pierre Plantard….Throughout the 1960s and the 1970s, Plantard created a series of documents ‘proving’ the existence of a bloodline descending from Mary Magdalene, through the kings of France, down to the present day to include (surprise!) Pierre Plantard.

He began using the name Plantard de Saint-Clair, saying the Saint-Clairs were direct descendants of the line of Jesus and Mary. In 1993, Plantard’s name came up in light of a political scandal involving a close friend of the French president Francois Mitterand. When called up to testify, Plantard, under oath, admitted he had made up the whole Priory scheme.”

I could get into how each "code" is erroneous, but will stop here, but if you really want to read more, shoot me a PM with questions. there have been books and Scholarly reports published about debunking that work.

can you shorten it a little tiny bit? im really tired. haha
Old 03-09-2007, 07:05 AM #59
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
can you shorten it a little tiny bit? im really tired. haha
sure - DaVinci Code is a work of fiction, and though the author says in the preface that it's based on some facts, even some of the so-called "facts" he gives are also fiction. It's a great page turner for entertainment purposes. the movie is also pretty good, but leaves out huge chunks of the story for brevity sake.

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:27 AM #60
Crippled Dogma

Quote:
sure - DaVinci Code is a work of fiction, and though the author says in the preface that it's based on some facts, even some of the so-called "facts" he gives are also fiction. It's a great page turner for entertainment purposes. the movie is also pretty good, but leaves out huge chunks of the story for brevity sake.
I would venture to say MOSTLY fiction. (As in at least 90%) There are interesting points brought up in both the DVC (I guess) and HBHG.

I am NOT trying to endorse either work. I would venture to endorse a few points as interesting items that beg further research. For example, why is there such a cult following of Mary in France? What is the true origin of the Black Madonna? There are others, but would have to reread my highlighting of the book.

Raider Ball! Raider Ball! Raider Ball!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM #61
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled Dogma View Post
... For example, why is there such a cult following of Mary in France? What is the true origin of the Black Madonna? There are others, but would have to reread my highlighting of the book.
I am no expert in this area, but the "tradition" is that she went to France after the crucifixion. and with nearly all the apostles, disciples and other believers mentioned in the Bible, there are places that are said to be where they went, taught and died, etc... nearly all those regions have cultist followings of those people in those areas. This is not just a "Mary of Magdala" phenomenon.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:55 AM #62
Crippled Dogma

Quote:
I am no expert in this area, but the "tradition" is that she went to France after the crucifixion. and with nearly all the apostles, disciples and other believers mentioned in the Bible, there are places that are said to be where they went, taught and died, etc... nearly all those regions have cultist followings of those people in those areas. This is not just a "Mary of Magdala" phenomenon.
Why? I realize you might not know, but this is one train of thought of many I would like to follow. I can only do one at a time right?!

Raider Ball! Raider Ball! Raider Ball!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM #63
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled Dogma View Post
Why? I realize you might not know, but this is one train of thought of many I would like to follow. I can only do one at a time right?!
again, I haven't studied that phenomenon, but at a cursory look, it seems that it is based on a similar paradigm that comes from antiquity and the RCC.

That is that, for example a church can only be established with an actual "relic". The thought was based in scripture references and traditions that the apostles and disciples had some special power that was associated with their physical being/body. "Miracles" were attributed to them, and later after they were dead, their relics, or in some cases, even just places they were associated, or were supposedly physically present for some reason or another.

I do not understand this kind of thought process, since My beliefs are based in the fact that I believe that any miraculous powers come from God, and maybe flow through a person, they do not emanate from a person, in and of themselves.

and that is the difference with some people. they somehow believe that it is that person that is providing that miraculous power, and in the examples of the places and things - perhaps "their power" rubbed off on those objects.

Now, with that said - remember that people also have a tendency to want to experience, vicariously as well. This is seen outside of religious things commonly as well. places in America, where a certain president slept; or where a famous person stood; or where movie stars leave hand prints and people walk by and place their hand in the print of their favorite (are non-favorite) actor.

is that too simple?
EDIT - just realized how that this affects a lot of people. I have a small piece of Israeli limestone with "Dead Sea scrolls" engraved on it from when I went to the Museum exhibit. I don't have any belief that it holds any special powers. But I carry it with me as a reminder of what I saw, and from the deeper connotation of what the exhibit was about.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 03-09-2007 at 10:55 AM.