PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM #127
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletmadness View Post
Yea, I'm in AP Bio as a senior and we had an entire unit on evolution.
Good. Anyone who says Evolution should not be taught in Science class, what about everything else that we don't have solid facts on? What about atoms? We're still learning the structure of atoms, yet we teach students the exact makeup of one. There are so many other things, I just think that Creationists are peeved off that their belief isn't being taught.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2007, 03:29 PM #128
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
Good. Anyone who says Evolution should not be taught in Science class, what about everything else that we don't have solid facts on? What about atoms? We're still learning the structure of atoms, yet we teach students the exact makeup of one. There are so many other things, I just think that Creationists are peeved off that their belief isn't being taught.
maybe some are peeved, but I am not. my faith is my faith and philosophy, not science.

However, I am appalled at what is taught as scientific "fact" in the public classroom, and not even presented as theory, or even "what we now know". even at the subatomic (or quantum mechanical) level, not just "evolution"(ism) as a biological "science".
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 PM #129
jus-bunkerd-u
Phuck yo Couch

its funny that theres a seperation of church and state but yet gays cant get married b/c its says not to in the bible
If you own an imp and are proud of it put this in your sig
Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, Denver Broncos, Michigan Wolverines.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:03 PM #130
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus-bunkerd-u View Post
its funny that theres a seperation of church and state but yet gays cant get married b/c its says not to in the bible
They have just as much of a right to add to the 50% divorce rate, cause marriage is sooooo sacred.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 PM #131
ECrevolution
LM > LT

No it won't and it shouldn't. What has the most proof backing it should be taught. That is evolution. The only backing of creationism is a book made 2 thousand years ago....

"Originally posted by zoink: ""Originally posted by zoink: Banned because I'm a pbn mod and i don't need a reason WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

2 months until I get back in osst.....
Old 03-27-2007, 10:16 PM #132
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECrevolution View Post
No it won't and it shouldn't. What has the most proof backing it should be taught. That is evolution. The only backing of creationism is a book made 2 thousand years ago....
Why shouldn't it be learned at all though? Certainly it is not science and therefore cannot be taught in Biology class. But how about some philosophy classes start getting offered in public schools? How about kids start learning about different philosophies? Thomas Aquinas, David Hume, all the great Enlightenment philosophes. And maybe some modern day philosophies too. I have nothing against teaching religion or philosophy in schools, as long as it is in the correct class room.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 PM #133
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Why shouldn't it be learned at all though? Certainly it is not science and therefore cannot be taught in Biology class. But how about some philosophy classes start getting offered in public schools? How about kids start learning about different philosophies? Thomas Aquinas, David Hume, all the great Enlightenment philosophes. And maybe some modern day philosophies too. I have nothing against teaching religion or philosophy in schools, as long as it is in the correct class room.
But how do you choose which philosophies to teach?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM #134
Nalayah

Philosophies that don't get too mature for the class at hand. Choosing which ones apply well is censorship in my mind, and should be kept out of schools as much as possible.

Heck, see if there are philosophy text books out there that can be used.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM #135
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
Why shouldn't it be learned at all though?
If we're going to teach Creation in science class, then I demand they teach about the Flying Spaghetti Monster's creation story, as well as that of the Invisible Pink Unicorn.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:32 AM #136
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D4 division
The thing is this:
Evolution bases it's theory off of scientific findings and ideas...hence it falls under a science teaching.
Creation falls under beliefs in religion..hence it falls into religion techings.

There is no science to Creationism...therefore it needs to ONLY be taught in religion classes that believe in Creationism....like christianity classes for example.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:08 AM #137
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalayah View Post
Philosophies that don't get too mature for the class at hand. Choosing which ones apply well is censorship in my mind, and should be kept out of schools as much as possible.

Heck, see if there are philosophy text books out there that can be used.
So everyone would be forced to take a philosophy class, to discuss things that might not even be true? I enjoy good discusion, but I don't want people there who don't give a damn.
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 03-31-2007, 11:28 AM #138
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
So everyone would be forced to take a philosophy class, to discuss things that might not even be true? I enjoy good discusion, but I don't want people there who don't give a damn.
Forcing is what our school systems do best.
But Children need to be educated on both sides of all genre's, IMO. Even though I'm atheist I study religion because an uneducated mind makes absurd claims and sucks when it comes to debating.
I'm glad most highschools don't teach philosophy, in my teens I don't think I could have, or wanted to, comprehend it. Now as a college student I can pick what to study..
Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM #139
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
But Children need to be educated on both sides of all genre's, IMO. Even though I'm atheist I study religion because an uneducated mind makes absurd claims and sucks when it comes to debating.
I'm glad most highschools don't teach philosophy, in my teens I don't think I could have, or wanted to, comprehend it. Now as a college student I can pick what to study..
I disagree, if you want to learn religion there are private schools and church. Public school is nto the place for religion.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:31 AM #140
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Mr. Big college placing philosophy out of every highschooler's reach is pretty redicilous. It may be two young to conduct some ideas, but I'm sure some basic concepts can be understood and debated about.

If you want to see both sides of the equation, don't go to school for it though, go to church. What better place to learn about the creationist theory then where it comes from?
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-31-2007, 11:36 AM #141
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
I disagree, if you want to learn religion there are private schools and church. Public school is nto the place for religion.
Maybe I should clarify my stance a little more.
I went to a Catholic Highschool, Hence i always forget that Public schools do not teach that..So please forgive my constant relation to my childhood.

I believe a classroom enviroment of Strictly educating, Not Forcefull propaganda, never hurts anyone...No matter the subject.
Highschools are not the greatest places for Educating people on religion because 99% of teachers that don't go on to get a masters and teach at a college level are teaching highschool religion based on their beliefs. In college, I have found, That this differs completely. The teachers went from being Strict catholics telling me how the world was...To the college professor explaining what each religion believed.
big difference there
Religion/philosophy are hard subjects to teach because of the usually high bias the teachers hold at a highschool level. Hence i don't believe a highschool should have a religion Class
Sorry for the confusion
Old 03-31-2007, 11:38 AM #142
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

Quote:
I went to a Catholic Highschool, Hence i always forget that Public schools do not teach that..So please forgive my constant relation to my childhood.

I believe a classroom enviroment of Strictly educating, Not Forcefull propaganda, never hurts anyone...No matter the subject.
Highschools are not the greatest places for Educating people on religion because 99% of teachers that don't go on to get a masters and teach at a college level are teaching highschool religion based on their beliefs. In college, I have found, That this differs completely. The teachers went from being Strict catholics telling me how the world was...To the college professor explaining what each religion believed.
big difference there
Religion/philosophy are hard subjects to teach because of the usually high bias the teachers hold at a highschool level. Hence i don't believe a highschool should have a religion Class
Sorry for the confusion
I agree that college is a HUGE difference than HS teachings. Too much of a PC version of subjects is covered in HS.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:39 AM #143
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:

big difference there
Sorry for the confusion
By the time your in college you can pick what classes you want to take. So in all honesty your saying no to the original question?
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 AM #144
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero plays in the PSP
Quote:
Mr. Big college placing philosophy out of every highschooler's reach is pretty redicilous. It may be two young to conduct some ideas, but I'm sure some basic concepts can be understood and debated about.

If you want to see both sides of the equation, don't go to school for it though, go to church. What better place to learn about the creationist theory then where it comes from?
I'm not placing it out of a few Highschoolers reach bud. But take a good look around your class rooms...Do you think that a Highschool classroom is the greatest place for debating Philosophy? Are the students there because they have to be or because they want to be?
I've met alot of kids on PBN alone that are in highschool and super intelligent, but lets be honest that highschool kids are made to take the same classes, whereas college places more students interested in the same subject in a room to discuss.
I'm in no way saying you or other highschoolers can't comprehend "tough subjects", I'm saying that a good portion of the teachers are too biased to teach these subjects at a highschool level, and that the students are not there by choice.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:44 AM #145
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero plays in the PSP
Quote:
By the time your in college you can pick what classes you want to take. So in all honesty your saying no to the original question?
Well I'd like to say no.
But the way our Government is dismissing the whole seperation of church and state, Sadly I see creation reaching all forms of school.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:49 AM #146
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
I'm not placing it out of a few Highschoolers reach bud. But take a good look around your class rooms...Do you think that a Highschool classroom is the greatest place for debating Philosophy? Are the students there because they have to be or because they want to be?
I've met alot of kids on PBN alone that are in highschool and super intelligent, but lets be honest that highschool kids are made to take the same classes, whereas college places more students interested in the same subject in a room to discuss.
I'm in no way saying you or other highschoolers can't comprehend "tough subjects", I'm saying that a good portion of the teachers are too biased to teach these subjects at a highschool level, and that the students are not there by choice.
I'm not sure, I know theres a lot out there that woulden't, but our public school system matches the area's private school system if not better in some cases. My whole argument was why force anyone who doesn't want to take it, to take it.

You posted the second part after my original post, so yes I do see some mert in it though.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 PM #147
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero plays in the PSP
Quote:
I'm not sure, I know theres a lot out there that woulden't, but our public school system matches the area's private school system if not better in some cases. My whole argument was why force anyone who doesn't want to take it, to take it.

You posted the second part after my original post, so yes I do see some mert in it though.
I agree that students shouldn't be forced to take classes they don't want to. But I don't see the School system allowing highschool students to choose.