PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 PM #106
KyPaintBawler (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboywoods View Post
Really, if we are being taught evolution (which is presented as fact and not a theory), then schools should also teach the theory of intelligent design...

Oh, wait, I forgot, it's politically incorrect to be a Christian

LOL @ its not politically correct to be Christian. Please, come to my school/area sometime and be flooded with the light of jesus. Im embarrased by the amount of Creationists and the extremism of them here. We learned Evolution as theory and they made a point to say that it is not a fact infinite amounts of time. We were also taught about various religions, including Judaism, Bhuddism, Hindu, Islam, Zoroastism(sp?). Of course Christianity was given the majority of the focus, and presented as fact. No I do not attend a christian school, its a public school.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2007, 01:44 AM #107
fatboywoods
Jesus F†W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazbullet View Post
oh wait, intelligent design is not a theory
Definition of "Intelligent Design" from Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English:

"A theory that nature and complex biological structures were designed by intelligent beings and were not created by chance"

Care to say anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyPaintBawler View Post
LOL @ its not politically correct to be Christian. Please, come to my school/area sometime and be flooded with the light of jesus. Im embarrased by the amount of Creationists and the extremism of them here. We learned Evolution as theory and they made a point to say that it is not a fact infinite amounts of time. We were also taught about various religions, including Judaism, Bhuddism, Hindu, Islam, Zoroastism(sp?). Of course Christianity was given the majority of the focus, and presented as fact. No I do not attend a christian school, its a public school.
Really? Because in the CA state text books hardly mention Christianity. We had a decently sized section dedicated to Zoroastrianism too... but Christianity is hardly mentioned... God forbid anyone gets offended

In fact, they define the 10 Commandments as "Guidelines for the followers of Moses"... and Jesus Christ was the "Founder of Christianity", because, of COURSE, if you mention he claimed that he was the son of God, people would go insane and sue the school system.

I would estimate the number of true Christians in my class of 500 at... 5-10 overtly, 50 total, if that.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 AM #108
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

cryptic.paintball plays in the APPA D5 division
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
ID is no where near a design. If you dug a little deeper into what a theory is you would understand this.

In science(which is what this debate is based on), an explanation or model that covers a substantial group of occurrences in nature and has been confirmed by a substantial number of experiments and observations. ID does not hold up to a proper theory as it has never been tested or put up in a peer review. The reason being is because it has 0 basis in fact or proof. If it were ever put up to a peer review of independent scientist it would not even hold up to a hypothesis.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:10 PM #109
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Quote:
Definition of "Intelligent Design" from Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English:

"A theory that nature and complex biological structures were designed by intelligent beings and were not created by chance"

Care to say anything else?
My mistake, you are correct. Let me rephrase

ID is a theory - a conjecture, an opinion, or a speculation

ID is not a scientific theoryb- a mathematical description, a logical explanation, a verified hypothesis, or a proven model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation
Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 PM #110
Spaghetti Monster
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Pastafarian creationism will be learned in public schools once all americans have seen the truth and become my devout followers.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:18 PM #111
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Monster View Post
Pastafarian creationism will be learned in public schools once all americans have seen the truth and become my devout followers.
I mean, who could pass up Heaven with Beer Volcanoes and Stripper Factories?!?!?!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 PM #112
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
ID/Creationism is not a scientific theory therefore it should not be taught in science classes.

However, if you wish to teach it in a philosophy class then by all means go ahead. But don't brainwash children into believing that religion and science are the same thing.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 03-19-2007, 09:45 PM #113
14-2_technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
I mean, who could pass up Heaven with Beer Volcanoes and Stripper Factories?!?!?!
I'm in. Now where did that thread go...
Old 03-19-2007, 10:30 PM #114
JayWalking

Quote:
im embarassed to live in the same state with that guy

Christ Krew
Old 03-20-2007, 12:01 AM #115
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayWalking View Post
im embarassed to live in the same state with that guy
I'm sure he's embarrassed of you too by what he wrote.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 03-20-2007, 12:05 AM #116
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
Creationism should not be taught in science class, period.

The only use Darwinian Evolution plays in High School level Biology is to demonstrate the scientific method.

I don't think either should be taught; 1 is not science, and the other is a waste of time in High School Biology.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:10 AM #117
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
Creationism should not be taught in science class, period.

The only use Darwinian Evolution plays in High School level Biology is to demonstrate the scientific method.

I don't think either should be taught; 1 is not science, and the other is a waste of time in High School Biology.
Yea there's definitely easier ways to demonstrate empirical data gathering. A simple observational excercise is all that's needed. Evolution is a more complex scientific theory that probably shouldn't be wasted on highschool freshman. Maybe AP Bio though...
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM #118
KyPaintBawler (Banned)

Quote:

Really? Because in the CA state text books hardly mention Christianity. We had a decently sized section dedicated to Zoroastrianism too... but Christianity is hardly mentioned... God forbid anyone gets offended

In fact, they define the 10 Commandments as "Guidelines for the followers of Moses"... and Jesus Christ was the "Founder of Christianity", because, of COURSE, if you mention he claimed that he was the son of God, people would go insane and sue the school system.

I would estimate the number of true Christians in my class of 500 at... 5-10 overtly, 50 total, if that.

The number of Christians in my school, with about 900 students, is probably between 800 and 850. What we studied did say that Christians believed Jesus was the son of God.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:16 PM #119
KyPaintBawler (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
I'm sure he's embarrassed of you too by what he wrote.
Not necessarily. Only if he is a fundamentalist. And living in a primarily Christian city/state you have to expect people to be shocked and occasionally upset (cant really think of a better word) that you're an athiest.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM #120
mulletmadness
Damn Whities

mulletmadness is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Yea there's definitely easier ways to demonstrate empirical data gathering. A simple observational excercise is all that's needed. Evolution is a more complex scientific theory that probably shouldn't be wasted on highschool freshman. Maybe AP Bio though...
Yea, I'm in AP Bio as a senior and we had an entire unit on evolution.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 PM #121
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Not necessarily. Only if he is a fundamentalist. And living in a primarily Christian city/state you have to expect people to be shocked and occasionally upset (cant really think of a better word) that you're an athiest.
I'm not an atheist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletmadness
Yea, I'm in AP Bio as a senior and we had an entire unit on evolution.
Awesome, keep on learning! Definitely get one of the Princeton books to study for the exam btw, they are awesome.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 AM #122
rockintheladies
NatUrAl KillErs

most unlikley its not in the requirements of the school district{to my best understanding}

private school though...
NEW ACCOUNT kanadakid
Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM #123
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintheladies View Post
most unlikley its not in the requirements of the school district{to my best understanding}

private school though...
Private school ftw. You don't get idiotic drivel shoved down your throat.
#12 Italian Baller
-Václav Havel
Old 03-26-2007, 08:39 PM #124
mulletmadness
Damn Whities

mulletmadness is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Awesome, keep on learning! Definitely get one of the Princeton books to study for the exam btw, they are awesome.

Lol I pretty much just dick around in that class and I maintain a B =P

I was happy to see the evolution unit though
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM #125
KyPaintBawler (Banned)

Quote:
I'm not an atheist...
Re-read what I wrote, thats not what I said.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 PM #126
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.