Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-07-2007, 06:47 PM #64
Dead_Body

Took french in high school and did terribly at it. Years later I took it in night classes (Eastern Canada don'cha know) and actually enjoyed it. I realized right off that the key is to learn to THINK in the other language. If you try to constantly translate in your head you're dead before you start. Just try to use the two words for one thing interchangably. Like white is blanc and black is noir. Soon you'll find your self thinking whole sentances.

Then get yourself a girl friend that speaks the language you're learning and no or little english. THAT will make you learn fast...
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM #65
glaman5266

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforcegtid00d View Post
The only reason I am taking Spanish is because it's such a common language. It gives me an edge over single-language-speaking people when I go to get a job.

You have more patience than I do. lol
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 PM #66
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by sHoRtKid View Post
yea me 2, but my teacher sucks, all she does is yell at us in spanish and no one has any idea what she is sayin
The idea is to get you to learn to understand spanish better. By giving you directions in spanish, your teacher is forcing you to use comprehension and pick out key components of each sentence so you can figure out the whole meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaman5266 View Post

You have more patience than I do. lol
No, I don't. I just have stiffer parents than you.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 PM #67
glaman5266

Quote:
No, I don't. I just have stiffer parents than you.
That's exactly why I moved out of my mom's house. lol
Old 03-07-2007, 08:13 PM #68
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
That's exactly why I moved out of my mom's house. lol
I can't. Reffing doesn't really get me the kind of cash I would need to pay for an apartment, food, water, etc.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:01 PM #69
Dead_Body

Quote:
I can't. Reffing doesn't really get me the kind of cash I would need to pay for an apartment, food, water, etc.
There's a career choice message in that simple statement......

It's often hard to make your sport or hobby into a truly well paying job.

I actually enjoy doing electronics work and quickly realized early on that it was a very decently marketable skill so I chose that as my career.

And for all the same reasons I chose NOT to go into model airplanes as a career. And if I was young and paintballing I'd choose something else for the same reason.

But as a summer or weekend job it's not a bad choice at all. Sadly it's not something that'll get you a lot of hours since you normally only ref on weekends.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 PM #70
the loser

the loser is an NCPA player
the loser plays in the APPA D5 division
i think my french teacher curses at us every once in a while when we make her mad......i have no clue why im taking french..im live in nw arkansas and everyone speaks either spanish or english...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 PM #71
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Body View Post
There's a career choice message in that simple statement......

It's often hard to make your sport or hobby into a truly well paying job.

I actually enjoy doing electronics work and quickly realized early on that it was a very decently marketable skill so I chose that as my career.

And for all the same reasons I chose NOT to go into model airplanes as a career. And if I was young and paintballing I'd choose something else for the same reason.

But as a summer or weekend job it's not a bad choice at all. Sadly it's not something that'll get you a lot of hours since you normally only ref on weekends.
I just use it as a weekend job so I have spending money. It makes paintball extremely affordable for me as well. I love the job and I don't mind the hours. I knew before I even applied for the job that it would not be my career. It's just a side thing outside of school.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM #72
Dead_Body

Quote:
I just use it as a weekend job so I have spending money. It makes paintball extremely affordable for me as well. I love the job and I don't mind the hours. I knew before I even applied for the job that it would not be my career. It's just a side thing outside of school.

Nothing wrong with that. And at least you're able to stand back and realize which side your bread is buttered on. I'm sure you've seen some folks that aren't able to keep their career choices and sports decently separated.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 PM #73
glaman5266

Quote:
I'm sure you've seen some folks that aren't able to keep their career choices and sports decently separated.
I am one of those people. lol
I need to get my act together with school. This is my second time taking the two I am enrolled in now (and the last two I need for my degree) and I'm already slipping. I have no motivation at this point. I just want to get into the paintball industry. But everyone knows how tough it is to make a living off that...

I've been contemplating on creating a custom parts line or designing custom parts for others once I'm done w/school just as a side business. Hopefully I can carry that out.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 PM #74
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that. And at least you're able to stand back and realize which side your bread is buttered on. I'm sure you've seen some folks that aren't able to keep their career choices and sports decently separated.
I've seen the invoices from all our suppliers, along with hearing the profit at the end of the day. It has reinforced my decision to not make it a career.
Quote:
I am one of those people. lol
I need to get my act together with school. This is my second time taking the two I am enrolled in now (and the last two I need for my degree) and I'm already slipping. I have no motivation at this point. I just want to get into the paintball industry. But everyone knows how tough it is to make a living off that...

I've been contemplating on creating a custom parts line or designing custom parts for others once I'm done w/school just as a side business. Hopefully I can carry that out.
You can blow off school work for the next few years, but by the time you're twenty, you won't remember any of the fun you chose to have instead of getting good grades. What you will remember is what kind of income you could be getting if you had tried harder, and what you are getting. Work hard for the four years in high school, and however many you [may] spend in college. It's well worth having the rest of your life financially secure. Paintball will still be there waiting for you.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 PM #75
the loser

if i did anything in paintball, it would most likley be a buisness thing. marketing, designing, etc. of course if i had the chance to actually play and it be my career, then hell ill do that. of course with a backup plan.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM #76
sHoRtKid

who wouldnt play for a career?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:04 PM #77
the loser

*random kid in corner raises hand*....*gun shot 5 seconds later*....

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 6 seconds.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM #78
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHoRtKid View Post
who wouldnt play for a career?
The highest salary right now isn't anywhere near enough to comfortably raise a family.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:06 PM #79
Dead_Body

Quote:
.....You can blow off school work for the next few years, but by the time you're twenty, you won't remember any of the fun you chose to have instead of getting good grades. What you will remember is what kind of income you could be getting if you had tried harder, and what you are getting. Work hard for the four years in high school, and however many you [may] spend in college. It's well worth having the rest of your life financially secure. Paintball will still be there waiting for you.
MY GOD! PLANNING AND FORETHOUGHT! You keep this up and you may just find yourself suffering through a successful career and a good life...

An example.... A guy I know here loved motorcycle racing and he was pretty good at it and also pretty good at working on his own bikes. So he opened a shop so he could work on bikes and make a living at what he loved. You know what? 15 years later he doesn't have the energy or intrest to wrench his race bike and the shop, which is doing well by the way, is just a job for him. It took what he loved and ground it into something mundane.

I know of at least 3 or 4 other similar stories.

For those that want to design paintball stuff? I say go for something machining or engineering related and do well at it. Then you have lots of options open to either work in the paintball industry as a side line or as a main job in design or machining. Or when reality bites you can use your learned skills for what they were intended for and get a "real" job that pays for your lifestyle AND paintball.

BUt I hear you on the burned out thing. I went through High School and then took first year university. But while I scraped a pass out of the last year I was burned out with school. I got a summer job which I turned into a year and a summer and then went to a local collage where I got a Certificate of Technology in Communications Electronics. So I ended up half way between a technician and a true certified engineer. But it's been a pretty decent career option that has paid for a house and a lot of toys over the years.

And just as importantly it's let me switch my hobbies and sports around without being trapped in any one area.

If you're burned out then consider taking some time off to breath. But take a few gulps and jump back in with both feet and some serious attitude. What you do now will affect your whole life like eforce' has said. And I'm saying it too as I sit here on the other end of a life and look back to where you and many others are right now.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM #80
glaman5266

Quote:
You can blow off school work for the next few years, but by the time you're twenty, you won't remember any of the fun you chose to have instead of getting good grades. What you will remember is what kind of income you could be getting if you had tried harder, and what you are getting. Work hard for the four years in high school, and however many you [may] spend in college. It's well worth having the rest of your life financially secure. Paintball will still be there waiting for you.
That's a problem for me- I'm only motivated to sit down and design stuff if it's paintball-related. At this point I really don't care if I get a full-time job designing stuff.

In many cases, you don't necessarily have to go into your field of study. Just having a degree in SOMETHING is a huge plus in general. If my future career is in a related field or something completely different I'll be happy as long as it pays the bills and helps support a family.
Quote:
For those that want to design paintball stuff? I say go for something machining or engineering related and do well at it.

If you're burned out then consider taking some time off to breath. But take a few gulps and jump back in with both feet and some serious attitude. What you do now will affect your whole life like eforce' has said. And I'm saying it too as I sit here on the other end of a life and look back to where you and many others are right now.
I've been thinking about creating custom part designs/modifications by request for those looking for something different and have the resources to get them fabricated. But custom paintball parts/fabrication is not a big thing around here. So it's kinda iffy...

I've been burned out for almost 2 years now. With only 2 classes needed to get my degree there is little sense in taking a break now. I already took the first semester of this year off. I know I should just get the school stuff done with, but I'm really in no hurry. I like a more laid-back lifestyle. However, in this day and age it's almost impossible to be laid-back and support a family and live beyond this nation's standard. Which is why I'm thankful my girlfriend feels a lot like I do about life (for the most part, lol).
I love to work and have no problem working my butt off for a living, provided I like my job. I can get by on a lesser income and be comfortable and perfectly happy- just not with school in the mix. Add the unbelievable amount of pressure from my family (especially my mom, who is my exact opposite) and I can't hardly take it. It's almost literally driving me insane.

Last edited by glaman5266 : 03-09-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 AM #81
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
That's a problem for me- I'm only motivated to sit down and design stuff if it's paintball-related. At this point I really don't care if I get a full-time job designing stuff.

In many cases, you don't necessarily have to go into your field of study. Just having a degree in SOMETHING is a huge plus in general. If my future career is in a related field or something completely different I'll be happy as long as it pays the bills and helps support a family.

I've been thinking about creating custom part designs/modifications by request for those looking for something different and have the resources to get them fabricated. But custom paintball parts/fabrication is not a big thing around here. So it's kinda iffy...

I've been burned out for almost 2 years now. With only 2 classes needed to get my degree there is little sense in taking a break now. I already took the first semester of this year off. I know I should just get the school stuff done with, but I'm really in no hurry. I like a more laid-back lifestyle. However, in this day and age it's almost impossible to be laid-back and support a family and live beyond this nation's standard. Which is why I'm thankful my girlfriend feels a lot like I do about life (for the most part, lol).
I love to work and have no problem working my butt off for a living, provided I like my job. I can get by on a lesser income and be comfortable and perfectly happy- just not with school in the mix. Add the unbelievable amount of pressure from my family (especially my mom, who is my exact opposite) and I can't hardly take it. It's almost literally driving me insane.
You need to think about the long term reality. Chances are that you will get out of paintball for 1 of 2 reasons. Either you will lose interest or your body will crap out on you. Let's face it - paintball is abusive.

Last edited by eforcegtid00d : 03-10-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling error.
eforcegtid00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 PM #82
Dead_Body

Quote:
...... Let's face it - paintball is abusive.
But MAN! ! ! ! WHAT A WAY TO GO! ! ! ! !

It's fun but trust me, it's not worth ruining your long term health over.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM #83
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

Quote:
But MAN! ! ! ! WHAT A WAY TO GO! ! ! ! !

It's fun but trust me, it's not worth ruining your long term health over.
I'll be making the investment in paintball-specific pads for my knees and elbows some time this year. I used to play the doritos (stand-up bunker for the most part), but lately I have made the shift to the snake, and I must say that I've never damaged my knees so quickly. I guess it's time to say goodbye to the mobility of playing without pads...
Old 03-11-2007, 06:10 PM #84
glaman5266

I know my long term health is important, but I will participate in some way until I can no longer lift a marker or fix one.

I also plan on investing in joint protection within the next few months.