Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM #1
poopresearch
Dr Nick

poopresearch plays in the PSP
poopresearch supports DLX Technology
Revamping National Series

Do you guys think that it makes more sense to run regional series that feed a national event or a series of national events?

CXBL is one of the major leagues in Canada. Rather than running 4 national events (the PSP/NPPL model), they divide the country into 3 regions (essentially Western, Central and Eastern regions). They run regional events during the normal season and then the top teams from each region advance to a national championship known as the Richmond Cup. This league also uses a relegation system where the top teams in a division are bumped up and the bottom teams in a division are bumped down.

I think the regional model makes a lot of sense for divisional teams or perhaps even pro teams. Imagine if the pro teams from each region had to battle it out against each other and then the top West Coast, Midwest and East Coast teams faced off in the season finale. I like the sense of regional pride this model fosters as well as the fact that it would allow teams to drive rather than fly to most events they played each season. Those of you who play nationals know that avoiding the expense of plane tickets and car rentals makes a huge difference in cost per player. The regional model also helps develop paintball nationally by making it more accessible to folks in what we could call "under-represented" regions.

Thoughts?
poopresearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM #2
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Immortal
I have been a supporter of this model for a very long time.

The problem is convincing everyone to give up a little bit of their pie for the greater good.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 PM #3
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

if mirrored by similar regional comps in other parts of the world using the same format (pals, Millenium) with part of the series championship prizes being entry (and flights?) to an actual World Cup then this would be the greatest thing ever to happen to paintball.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 PM #4
tmed865

tmed865 plays in the PSP
tmed865 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tmed865 plays in the APPA D3 division
I think cxbl would be the best thing to follow it is most like other pro sports I mean if you put playoffs in it you have baseball basketball or football and that would be more viewer friendly

Outta Kontrol ftw
Even when you can't see Him... God IS there... if you have accepted Jesus as your personal lord and saviour, put this in your sig, if not, you should reexamine your life
Midnight meat train conductor pooty
#14 jaime beadle portland uprising fan
R.I.P BOOMER SMITH #10
tmed865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 PM #5
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

As much as I would like to see something like this happen, I highly doubt it ever will.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM #6
andyschein
OcD

andyschein plays in the PSP
andyschein owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
i like the idea of having region events it cuts cost for travel and it makes it look more professional.
The only thing i would like to add is have 2 national events with 3-4 regional so teams can get both experiences fairly and evenly.
Best Field/Grass in the NorthEast
andyschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:29 PM #7
poopresearch
Dr Nick

One thing I have noticed is that bigger doesn't always equal better. When you look at a well run regional series like the WCPPL or BCPPL (sadly now defunct), you'll notice that they do many things better than the larger series like PSP and NPPL.

By running smaller regional events often with team caps, you achieve two important things:

1 The series is more financially viable because you can run the regional events at a high caliber paintball field rather than renting a non-paintball space and bringing in all the necessary infrastructure. I know it's cool have events at place like Disney World, but paintball is small at the moment and money is tight so reserve that kick *** venue for the finale.

2. Regional events are a more manageable size. Bigger does not always equal better, in fact it's often the opposite. As events become larger, quality can really suffer as the league is forced place fields on less than stellar surfaces or hire second and third tier refs. The quality of the refs, field surface and pits are incredible important in terms of player experience. Regional series like WCPPL and BCPPL offered some of the best fields and reffing I've ever experienced and as you can tell from my sig and badge I've played multiple PSP and NPPL events.

One thing that's important to note is that regional events don't have to be small events. By offering teams a quality series within driving distance you increase the number of teams in the area that are able to play the series. A well run regional series can draw almost as many teams as a mid-season national event, but the teams are more local to the event.

The goal of playing the regional series is to advance and play a national event. Now, the geography of the nation might dictate 6 regions rather than the 3 used in the Canadian model (almost everyone in Canada lives in the southern portion of that nation for obvious reasons) but I still thing it's a solid model.

The only real issue I can see other than getting folks to cooperate, is the lack of accessibility for international players. There are series all over the globe so perhaps at the finale event you open some slots to winners of those international series or you provide open slots for international teams to by into. I love the international feel of events like World Cup.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM #8
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Well, the rumour mill is suggesting that the merger has fallen through. Again.

If any ballers ever become billionaires I suggest they buy out every major league in the world and set up a proper international governing body. None of this negotiation and toys throwing business. Just force it.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:01 PM #9
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
As much as I would like to see something like this happen, I highly doubt it ever will.
That kind of attitude never helped promote change!

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Old 11-16-2011, 03:19 PM #10
jdelellis96
JDL

jdelellis96 plays in the PSP
jdelellis96 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdelellis96 plays in the APPA D3 division
Biggest problem with the CXBL model is that the pro division would be all scattered, and it may not be as practical for vendors.
jdelellis96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM #11
poopresearch
Dr Nick

Quote:
Biggest problem with the CXBL model is that the pro division would be all scattered, and it may not be as practical for vendors.
I think the regional model makes a great deal of sense for divisional teams. For pro teams, you could go one of two ways:

1. Keep the regional model and the top pro teams from each region square off at the season finale. I'm not a huge college sports guy, but it would be vaguely reminiscent of how college sports work. This model would allow growth of smaller pro programs as pro teams wouldn't need the large travel budgets currently required.

2. If the season is 3 regional events (normal season play) in each region and the season finale (national championship), have pro all teams play the first regional event on the west coast, the second regional event in the midwest and the final regional event on the east coast or something like that.

Essentially model 2 makes the pro division function much as it does now, but there are regional events all over the nation that don't always have pro attendance.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM #12
PAPA_SMURF1

In the US there are by far the most pro teams on the west coast. There are very few in central and and the eastern parts of the US. Also what about the Russians? I must say, I personally like the idea.
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:15 PM #13
poopresearch
Dr Nick

Quote:
In the US there are by far the most pro teams on the west coast. There are very few in central and and the eastern parts of the US. Also what about the Russians? I must say, I personally like the idea.
Pro teams are definitely clustered on the west coast. With that said, D1 teams seem to come from all over and a regional system would give them a shot at pro. In PSP there are currently more east coast D1 teams than any other region which would help even things out. I'd imagine it would take a little while for the level of competition to equalize from region to region.

West Coast Pro teams - Dynasty, Impact, Infamous, Ironmen, Blast, Uprising, Explicit, Thunder, Vendetta, XSV (10 total)

Midwest Pro teams - Aftershock, Avalanche, CEP, Mutiny, Legend, Vicous, X -Factor (7 total)

East Coast Pro teams - 187 cRew, DC Arsenal, Boston RL, Tampa Bay Damage (4 total)
Old 11-16-2011, 06:08 PM #14
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
I was going to suggest two conferences for the pro teams, but then you'd have an uneven number of teams and it wouldn't work with the three regions.
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
IplayforRelentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:59 PM #15
PAPA_SMURF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopresearch View Post
Pro teams are definitely clustered on the west coast. With that said, D1 teams seem to come from all over and a regional system would give them a shot at pro. In PSP there are currently more east coast D1 teams than any other region which would help even things out. I'd imagine it would take a little while for the level of competition to equalize from region to region.

West Coast Pro teams - Dynasty, Impact, Infamous, Ironmen, Blast, Uprising, Explicit, Thunder, Vendetta, XSV (10 total)

Midwest Pro teams - Aftershock, Avalanche, CEP, Mutiny, Legend, Vicous, X -Factor (7 total)

East Coast Pro teams - 187 cRew, DC Arsenal, Boston RL, Tampa Bay Damage (4 total)
Vancouver is in Canada. Also not all of the teams listed play both platforms. In your opinion which should we eliminate xball or seven man?
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM #16
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

xball is by far the more popular format, so it would make sense to eliminate 7man. I don't like either format, but if you have to choose you go for the one with the most players.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 PM #17
poopresearch
Dr Nick

People like playing 7-man because it's a chess match, the games take a little while to unfold and the break out doesn't dictate the final outcome. People like playing race to/xball because it's fun and exciting to battle with another team and flukes don't dictate the final outcome of the match.

I don't view the format is being particularly important. I will say that I'm pro coaching and ramping because it's too hard to prevent those things. IMO it's best to incorporate them into the game and regulate them.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 PM #18
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

If you want a legitimate plan for a league like this, check out what Tampa Bay's "Baca Loco" has to say: http://viewfromthedeadbox.blogspot.c...part-deux.html

By far the best plan I have seen yet.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 AM #19
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is Immortal
Quote:
People like playing 7-man because it's a chess match, the games take a little while to unfold and the break out doesn't dictate the final outcome. People like playing race to/xball because it's fun and exciting to battle with another team and flukes don't dictate the final outcome of the match.

I don't view the format is being particularly important. I will say that I'm pro coaching and ramping because it's too hard to prevent those things. IMO it's best to incorporate them into the game and regulate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
xball is by far the more popular format, so it would make sense to eliminate 7man. I don't like either format, but if you have to choose you go for the one with the most players.
ugh not this argument again....

Feedback
Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM #20
poopresearch
Dr Nick

Quote:
ugh not this argument again....
Which one? The abandon 7-man for xball due to popularity argument or the it's hard to police semi so ramping makes sense argument?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:05 PM #21
jdelellis96
JDL

jdelellis96 plays in the PSP
jdelellis96 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdelellis96 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Which one? The abandon 7-man for xball due to popularity argument or the it's hard to police semi so ramping makes sense argument?
I think both. People like what they like, no sense beating a dead horse as far as this thread goes.

Quote:
I think the regional model makes a great deal of sense for divisional teams. For pro teams, you could go one of two ways:

1. Keep the regional model and the top pro teams from each region square off at the season finale. I'm not a huge college sports guy, but it would be vaguely reminiscent of how college sports work. This model would allow growth of smaller pro programs as pro teams wouldn't need the large travel budgets currently required.

2. If the season is 3 regional events (normal season play) in each region and the season finale (national championship), have pro all teams play the first regional event on the west coast, the second regional event in the midwest and the final regional event on the east coast or something like that.

Essentially model 2 makes the pro division function much as it does now, but there are regional events all over the nation that don't always have pro attendance.
Problem with number 1 is like people have said, pro teams are heavily centered on the west coast. Problem with number 2 is the vendor issue, I doubt they'll like having their audience cut into thirds. Then again, these events might have better attendance as there would be less travelling involved. That being said, I think the latter is moving in the right direction, but there's a lot numbers-wise that would be involved to see if it made sense.
jdelellis96 is offline   Reply With Quote