Old 02-12-2007, 11:29 AM #1
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is a Mega Moderator
drefish99 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Word of the Day.

How this will work is I will post a passage of the bible then open up the conversation on people’s thoughts of that verse. Then tomorrow I will post another verse for conversation. This is open to everyone to freely share their thoughts on the subject as long as the post is intelligent and not merely to troll.

First verse –

Psalms 145:8
The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, and rich in love.
Romans 6:23
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado

Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that's what love is all about

The most he did was die for me, the least I can do is live for him.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2007, 11:43 AM #2
elTwitcho

I think that's a wonderful mission statement for the lord to strive towards

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM #3
crypticpb

I will simply state I disagree that the lord is slow to anger.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM #4
Marko34256

Marko34256 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Marko34256 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
awesome verse...not sure if there's much to talk about though
Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM #5
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drefish99 View Post
First verse –

To accompany Ex. 20:5b-6
5b "For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
6 but showing mercy to thousands
(generations), to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 02-12-2007, 10:39 PM #6
onefoothotdog

that is very true
Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 PM #7
lri2x97
Sex Bicycle

lri2x97 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
I think that's a wonderful mission statement for the lord to strive towards
I like you. I really do.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:19 PM #8
Kill me.The king (Banned)

May I add a suggestion for the next one? The first one is actually somewhat relevant.

1. Hebrews 3:5-6
2. Ephesians 5:14

But to add to the conversation: I think that "God fearing" Christians should definitely try to live by this. I've never understood why they felt the need to fear such a loving God...
Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 PM #9
Charles666
cwatididthar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticpb View Post
I will simply state I disagree that the lord is slow to anger.
ya how many times did he kill an entire town or the entire population of the earth.
in the bible.

ST:You're not one of us.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:05 AM #10
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Why is the term 'rich' applied in this particular usage? 'Rich in love'? To me that sounds like he is receiving a great deal of love from his beleivers. If I said, 'I am rich in money' you would assume correctly that I meant I have a lot of green. As in: I have obtained a lot of green, not; I contain a lot of green.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 AM #11
Kill me.The king (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
Why is the term 'rich' applied in this particular usage? 'Rich in love'? To me that sounds like he is receiving a great deal of love from his beleivers. If I said, 'I am rich in money' you would assume correctly that I meant I have a lot of green. As in: I have obtained a lot of green, not; I contain a lot of green.
It means He has a lot of love. He's rich in it, full of it.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 AM #12
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill me.The king View Post
It means He has a lot of love. He's rich in it, full of it.
I know what it is SUPPOSED to mean, as in, what the desired effect is. I just find it odd that that particular turn of phrase is used. It's a double entendre and I think the second meaning is by far the more profound version. I also find it incredibly interesting that most believers would naturally gravitate to the meaning you chose; that god has a lot of love TO GIVE. Rather than mine; that god has a lot of love GIVEN to him.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 02-13-2007, 09:18 AM #13
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
I know what it is SUPPOSED to mean, as in, what the desired effect is. I just find it odd that that particular turn of phrase is used. It's a double entendre and I think the second meaning is by far the more profound version. I also find it incredibly interesting that most believers would naturally gravitate to the meaning you chose; that god has a lot of love TO GIVE. Rather than mine; that god has a lot of love GIVEN to him.
"rich" as translated is "full" the KJV - says full, in fact - The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.

Male' is the Hebrew - it's definition is full, or wholly, or accomplished.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:00 AM #14
Crippled Dogma

The christian consensus seems to be as long as you believe you are good. If not, you are screwed.

Translation: God is love if you roll with him. God is quick to anger (pissed you disagree) if you don't.

Raider Ball! Raider Ball! Raider Ball!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:05 AM #15
Mastermind26
We are moons

But then by that definition you'd be toast a long time ago. So, no. God is slow to anger, but obviously God does anger.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 02-13-2007, 10:21 AM #16
Crippled Dogma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
But then by that definition you'd be toast a long time ago. So, no. God is slow to anger, but obviously God does anger.
So anger involves vaporizing the object of said anger? No mercy/compassion/love? No mercy with the anger? They cannot exist together? Is god bipolar? One extreme or the other, no in between?

Raider Ball! Raider Ball! Raider Ball!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM #17
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is a Mega Moderator
drefish99 is a Supporting Member
Nice seems conversation has picked up. .

Verse for the Day.

Jer 29:11-13
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Romans 6:23
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado

Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that's what love is all about

The most he did was die for me, the least I can do is live for him.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:52 AM #18
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:

Verse for the Day.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
To accompany this:
Hebrew 10:16-17
16 "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,"
17 then He adds, "Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more."

This verse is also very true when added with the original verse op:

Gracious in providing a way for us to have access to Him through Jesus, compassionate because He saw we could never do it on our own merits (imperfect when He demands perfection), slow to anger because He is patiently waiting for us to find Him and rich in love demonstrated by the above verse in Jeremiah and Hebrews.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 PM #19
el Jammo
Tony

Quote:
I think this passage ties back to many people's judgements of authenticity. While on the surface its a declaration of covenent, I think it says more to appeal to what the individual values as an authentic (as opposed to superficial) relationship.

UNC

12/29
Old 02-13-2007, 12:51 PM #20
TriggaHappyKid
•••Love™•••

Annual Supporting Member
TriggaHappyKid is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled Dogma View Post
The christian consensus seems to be as long as you believe you are good. If not, you are screwed.

Translation: God is love if you roll with him. God is quick to anger (pissed you disagree) if you don't.
No, you're very far from it. My Christian consensus as well as many others is that we don't believe we are good. Thats a huge portion of Christianity. We are all sinners.

Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

We realize we are sinners and are unholy. Its through God's grace and mercy, the sacrifice of his son on the cross which we are saved. Without Jesus' sinless life and death we would be unable to be saved.

Quote:

Verse for the Day.

That passage makes me think about how everything which occurs to me has a greater purpose to the Lord. Its great when I feel that bad things are happening. You can pray to the Lord to ask him to reveal areas of sin in your life. And upon praying to God to reveal sin in my life it usually hits me. The Lord truly is loving.

Last edited by TriggaHappyKid : 02-13-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:55 PM #21
JungleLarry (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill me.The king View Post
But to add to the conversation: I think that "God fearing" Christians should definitely try to live by this. I've never understood why they felt the need to fear such a loving God...
Seems like you've misinterpreted the word "fear" in this case...