Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 PM #1
higginsjohn
Quante Tuam Togam

higginsjohn is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ram Spring?

Can I take my ram spring out???? Whats it purpose anyway????
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2003, 08:46 PM #2
sexybill4ever1

it helps the ram get "up to speed". helps the vavle open. and you can take it out but its not the best idea. also if you go and by a new one from a hardware store that is a little heavyier you can lower you lpr pressure a bit
Old 03-11-2003, 10:27 PM #3
frantik9

not to say i dont believe you ... but anyone care to comment on this as to say that this is a good idea to change the ram spring to a heavier spring
Old 03-11-2003, 10:35 PM #4
Hoplon

I would think that a lighter spring would be what you would want to decrease the pressure.

Puting a heavy spring in would make it so you would have to turn the pressure up to fully cock the gun wouldn't it?
Old 03-11-2003, 10:37 PM #5
higginsjohn
Quante Tuam Togam

With a spring you would have to use more pressure to cock it, and less when it fires.

So wouldn't it use the same amount of energy if you simply didn't have the spring in the gun???

Impys don't have them do they??
Old 03-11-2003, 10:41 PM #6
Hoplon

Sense i'm new to bushmasters nobody flame me too hard for asking this.

Could you replace the valve and ram springs for softer ones and lower your cocking pressure?
Old 03-11-2003, 10:43 PM #7
Hoplon

Would using a narrower ram work?
Old 03-11-2003, 11:30 PM #8
Tornado Alley
TornadoAlleyPaintball.com

Tornado Alley is a Supporting Member
I was under the impression that the spring in the Ram was to help the Ram not stick on first shot and eleminate the first shot drop off...
Old 03-12-2003, 12:24 AM #9
Hoplon

Right. It does that but from the looks of things it also forces us to run a higher lpr pressure to compensate for the extra spring pressure.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:37 AM #10
kreno

kreno is a Supporting Member
the extra spring pressure is actually very little guys... what you're talking about is around 90 psi for recocking pressure. If you're looking to quiet down the gun a bit and lower kick the way to do that is to replace your stock valve with a vapor or sonic valve.

The spring is there for a reason. To take down FSDO. That's why impy's have FSDO and Bushmasters do not.

another reason lowering the pressure of the lpr won't help you much is that the ram assembly is not the highest flow part around... you will experience inconsistency if you lower it below the rated specifications outlined by ICD...

But if you want to give it a shot, by all means... Just be sure you know what you're doing... With the spring the bushy can cycle at around 22cps... so yeah... lol

Last edited by kreno : 03-12-2003 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:41 AM #11
Hellborecannon
Banned

As for the argument about whether a lighter spring or heavier spring would allow you to lower the LPR pressure, the answer is simple. A heavier spring would allow you to lower the LPR pressure because the only time the ram needs a significant amount of force is when it is extending, because it has to hit the valve hard enough to release enough air. When the ram retracts, there is very little resistence, the only significant resistence is the spring in the ram, and that is very small compared to the force needed to pop open the valve.

As for "cocking", there's no cocking going on, the ram only extends and retracts. You could install a heavier spring, but it would probably be pointless. It would allow you to lower the LPR pressure but you would still have the same amount of force pushing on the hammer and bolt due to the heavier spring, otherwise your velocity would be lower. So, it wouldn't be any gentler on the paint.

It is probably best to leave the spring alone.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 AM #12
higginsjohn
Quante Tuam Togam

Whole reason I asked this was because my spring snapped. I wasn't sure if I could take it completly out or not.

Anyone know where I can get a new one? I threw the old one away, so I can't really like go to Lowe's and compare spring sizes.

I remember back in the day I needed a new spring for my Sheridan. I went to lowe's and they didn't really carry any springs like that.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:59 AM #13
july_favre

july_favre is a founding member
you can run it without one if you want to deal with first shot drop off. I think the thick grease makes it stick a little too. I dont spring mine since it increases the load time that you can visibly see under certain conditions.
The spring is probably why people can run an angel at a certain rof on an angel with no problems but have chops when doing it on a bushmaster
Old 03-12-2003, 07:43 PM #14
kreno

kreno is a Supporting Member
july_favre - you have confused the kreno...