PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-10-2007, 09:00 AM #43
Cheap
Zesty

has been a member for 10 years
I think this is just a phase that the photo section's going through. Like having a runny nose. It'll get better.

Also, I do agree that most early shots should not be put here. People need to start looking at the pictures on their computer, thinking about whether the internet people will hate them or not, and then deciding whether to post or not. Discretion is a wonderful thing.

Oh and surfguy, you should hop around the internet some, and check out what really good photography looks like (I know that's really subjective, but you get the idea). Learn from the pros about composition and lighting and such. Then, and only then, should you go out and look for something more interesting to shoot than your dog (although dogs can be interesting).

One thing I struggle with, which is why I don't post pictures all that much, is that i've been finding it hard to find interesting pictures around here, other than crappy things in my house. Sometimes it's tough.

Last edited by Cheap : 02-10-2007 at 09:03 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2007, 01:52 PM #44
surfguy1936
Grandmas Cookies

well like the ones with the celing fan and the door handle and dogs face etc, it is because i am tryin to find differnet angles and ways of takin pics its called experimenting, they may suck but i was just tryin to come up with some weird new look or something

SICK!!! SHIRTS!!!
www.4twentydesigns.com
Old 02-10-2007, 01:58 PM #45
jeremy_maillet

jeremy_maillet is a Paintball photographer
jeremy_maillet owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
jeremy_maillet plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
No, just don't post, its much easier that way.
awww i love reading these forums in the morning... gets my day off to a Great start lol

1D MarkIII | 7D | 24-70L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 300mm F/2.8L IS | 85mm f/1.8 | 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 580EXII | Computrekker | Other lenses and junk
Old 02-10-2007, 03:08 PM #46
Cheap
Zesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfguy1936 View Post
they may suck but i was just tryin to come up with some weird new look or something
If they suck, don't post them.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM #47
lop
RAIDER HATE

The whole point on posting bad pictures is to get feedback on how to make them better. I do think they should read a book or something, then start taking pics, and then with a LITTLE knowledge atleast post their pics to get feedback. I think if they just read a book on photography th quality of the pictures would increase tenfold. Maybe not to great pictures, but they wouldn't be what you guys are dealing with right now. Just a thought.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:35 PM #48
streetspirit

About the whole new picture thing. I mean, I spent a lot of time reading books, taking pictures, deleting pictures, untill i showed anyone a single picture I took. Sure it wasnt good, but it was a lot better than everything else I tried, and people could actually say something about it and help me because I applied what I learned through trial and error.

You can't learn anything by starting at the begining and expecting people to make you fantastic at photography. Also if you don't really care about photography then why make a thread about it? To me it just reminds me of when my friend asked me if he could sell the picture on his camera phone. And he was being completely serious. I think some people want to get a few pictures, claim the title of photographer, and make their own myspace about it so people can comment them.

I dunno, just seems all these threads these days are "I'm going to throw random sh*t at you and see what I get out of it" instead of, "Okay, im going to learn"

Before you (who?) anyone flames: If youve noticed every single submission i've made to this forum has been in the wds/pptw threads, all adding commentary on the pictures, and all asking (after a lot of research, what i thought was valid questions) I've never made my own thread, because I dont think I have gotten that far in my skills.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 PM #49
AGGTASTICBOBO
sup

AGGTASTICBOBO is a Supporting Member
Quote:

Mine > yours

Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 PM #50
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

This is a photography forum, not a daycare center for the photographically retarded. Either read up and learn just like the rest of us did, post in the wdys/pptw because we don't expect anything extraordinary in there, or don't post at all until you think your photography is worthy to waste bandwidth!

It's much more difficult to critique something that has EVERYTHING wrong with it than to critique something that is actually approaching something worthy of viewing. If you post crap, don't expect people to tell you what's wrong with it.

Not difficult, people.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 PM #51
Crane
Infotography

Crane supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleLarry View Post
This is a photography forum, not a daycare center for the photographically retarded. Either read up and learn just like the rest of us did, post in the wdys/pptw because we don't expect anything extraordinary in there, or don't post at all until you think your photography is worthy to waste bandwidth!

It's much more difficult to critique something that has EVERYTHING wrong with it than to critique something that is actually approaching something worthy of viewing. If you post crap, don't expect people to tell you what's wrong with it.

Not difficult, people.
Lol i agree, and Im not calling you out or anything.. but I have never seen any of your work..
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM #52
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
Lol i agree, and Im not calling you out or anything.. but I have never seen any of your work..
The last thing I did digitally was a monochrome portfolio of the University of Denver campus. I've posted a couple of those shots here, but other than that, I won't be posting any of the others.

For the most part, I do a lot of large format photography and the prints that I do are too big for my scanner. I'd love to show you guys what I do, but I'm too lazy to go to Kinkos
Old 02-14-2007, 02:13 PM #53
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap View Post
One thing I struggle with, which is why I don't post pictures all that much, is that i've been finding it hard to find interesting pictures around here, other than crappy things in my house. Sometimes it's tough.
I have times like that, I just put the camera down in that case. I realized I'd take photos of **** like my ceiling fan, load them up in CS2 and after a while accept the inevitable that it's just not an interesting shot. If it isn't the very best I can do, I won't usually show it to anyone or process it. If I'm not going to even process the shot, why bother taking it? And in that case... I just leave the camera in the bag sometimes for a week at a time. If anything it at least gives you the drive to really get things done right when you get a chance to do some shooting.

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM #54
Crane
Infotography

Camera Block..

I have times like that expecially in my job, that Im just like.. Sick and tired of taking pictures.. and in that exhuastion... I lost my creativity...
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM #55
elTwitcho

Nah it's not so much having no ideas, I've got a **** ton of ideas, but if the subjects aren't there, and the shooting space isn't suitable, **** it.

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 02-14-2007, 02:45 PM #56
kennmon
just your average homeboy

kennmon is a Supporting Member
Quote:
its called experimenting
zomg tell us more.

Well we scheme and we scheme but we always blow it
we've yet to crash, but we still might as well enjoy it
Standing at a light switch to each east and west horizon,
Every dawn you're surprising,
Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 PM #57
snakeplayer (Banned)
I blue myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Nah it's not so much having no ideas, I've got a **** ton of ideas, but if the subjects aren't there, and the shooting space isn't suitable, **** it.
see that's the opposite of my problem.

I don't come up with ideas, I will sit and point the camera at myself and take 20 or so shots, then just kill time in photoshop with them. Then I post the one I dislike the least.

p.s. to the threadstarter. If you want nice cushy comments, go over to POTN. I don't think I've ever seen a harsh comment there, although I very rarely see many constructive comments there either....
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM #58
Crane
Infotography

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplayer View Post
see that's the opposite of my problem.

I don't come up with ideas, I will sit and point the camera at myself and take 20 or so shots, then just kill time in photoshop with them. Then I post the one I dislike the least.

p.s. to the threadstarter. If you want nice cushy comments, go over to POTN. I don't think I've ever seen a harsh comment there, although I very rarely see many constructive comments there either....
yea thats usually where I take my pictures If i want to feel better about myself...

I try to give contrustive critisim and I feel like a jerk compared to toher people...
Old 02-14-2007, 03:14 PM #59
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

POTN, deviantArt, pbase...

Everyone is like a sugar plum fairy in those places. If you want a back rub, go there. If you want to get beat up and made stronger, come here
Old 02-14-2007, 03:16 PM #60
snakeplayer (Banned)
I blue myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane View Post
yea thats usually where I take my pictures If i want to feel better about myself...

I try to give contrustive critisim and I feel like a jerk compared to toher people...
honestly, sometimes it's absolutely rediculous to see some of the crap that comes out of their "1ds MkII, 5d and all L primes from 14 through 200 and L zooms from 16-400"

every now and then I'll type out a post pointing out some of their faults, but then I'll just delete it and come back over here.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:18 PM #61
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeplayer View Post
I don't come up with ideas...
Funny enough, I have a little notebook (moleskine, the same notebook ernest hemmingway used as a matter of fact) where I write in ideas that I want to explore in the future. I also write down lighting setups with diagrams, locations of some shots I have taken/want to take and I keep notes on some settings in photoshop/ACR I used for certain sets if I ever want to recreate something that I'm not sure of. Except for the part about location listings I never really use the notebook for much but I figure if I ever become famous I can die and then sell the notebook for a ****load of money and be rich as hell.

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM #62
Crane
Infotography

Yea.. There were studio shots i critiqued the other day.. and I was just like... wow.. could you miss the focus a little more?

The one subforum that I find to have quality work over and over agian is the glamour/nude section. Not for the obvious reason but because they actually can take decent pictures...
Old 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM #63
BunkerKing35
It's a Festivus Miracle!

BunkerKing35 is a Supporting Member
I don't like POTN. It's kind of pointless since there is no critiquing. Everyone just agrees that they like each others ****ty photos.

FCBarcelona

Flickr