Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 03:56 PM #1
Housemaster
The Bread Head

has been a member for 10 years
Do I want a Rainmaker or a Classic Mag?

See thread title. I can get them both for pretty much the same price, so help me decide!
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2003, 03:56 PM #2
lordjavelox

lordjavelox is a Supporting Member
Rainmaker, no question.

Did a deal of yours go sour?
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346137
Old 03-08-2003, 06:34 PM #3
theblob
Paint -my anti drug

go for the classic mag, buy a nice cp barrel kit for it, then get a nice regulator on it and a drop forward with motorized loader and you will be set, and not dissapointed.....those things dont break down and are reliable (get the lvl 10 bolt kit for no ball chops ) rainmakers are good, but DO NOT match up to the mag...
Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 AM #4
becker6988
(.)(.)

classic mag. BE are the worst imitation of a cocker ive ever seen and its all plastic. BTW mags are constistant

//*//Axe//*//
//*//Virtue board//*//
//*//Freak kit//*//
//*//SE Black & Gold i4s//*//
//*//Empire Prophecy//*//
Old 03-09-2003, 10:25 AM #5
Kevmaster
Owners Group Div:Director

youre right. it is the worst imitation of a cocker....because its NOT an imitation of a cocker
Old 03-09-2003, 11:00 AM #6
becker6988
(.)(.)

doesnt matter aything from there is horrible

//*//Axe//*//
//*//Virtue board//*//
//*//Freak kit//*//
//*//SE Black & Gold i4s//*//
//*//Empire Prophecy//*//
Old 03-09-2003, 11:10 AM #7
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Kev-
Your forgot that its all plastic. So its obviously no good.. *wink*

Anyway, it depends on the Mag I suppose.
He says they are the same price, so I assume they are both around $100-150.

For that price, I'd bet the Mag doesnt come with RT or Lvl10.
IMHO, the mag needs those to be playable, but everyone is different. The stock mag has alot of issues.

So if your on a limited budget, get the Rainmaker. Its the most underated gun in paintball. Its really great out of the box.
The new X-mags are the only mags I've ever liked, but don't sell for $150.

-Nick
Old 03-09-2003, 03:37 PM #8
automagsrule
LOIC

wow, this is going to seriously be the hardest gun vs. gun answer I'll ever write on pbn. IF you are gay and jsut want an answer, check the bottom of the page.

upgrades:

classic mags (new) come stock w/ a lvl 10, but no barrel. thats always good tho cuz barrel is everyone's first upgrade, unless you got an angel stock with a jacko infinity or womething. if you're getting a TKO, you hafta add $60 to the price to include the lvl10, because that really is a blaring flaw with the mag.

nitro for both is pretty much a must. You can get away with co2 if you got a HUGE anti-siphon and a good reg.

98' rainmakers out of the box are actually better than most people give them credit. gut and cap the reg right away and get a new barrel, and you will be set for the rest of your life for just casual balling or local tournies.

mags need a barrel (stock ones are between bore and sometimes new mags come with no barrels) then a lvl 10 and a ReTro. after that you're set. you can get an intelli, but thats not as advantageous as the lvl 10 and retro (although it does help greatly) drop forwards are almost completely un-needed unless you have a massive tank because of how the mag is set up.

rainmaker, although stock they work well enough, you really must change about half the gun for it to reach its potential. That can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.
__________________________________________________ __

overall performance:

mags are fast out of the box w/ their short, snappy trigger pulls. fairly consistant since the velo adjustment is actually a regulator. with an adjustable tank, the mags are probably +/-3. THey are somewhat of a gas hog however, probably a little better than the old shockers. They are the most compact guns I've ever played with. Nothing beats the look of a tube and a trigger, with a good color match up (like my chrome w/ black accent) you can make them downright sexy. you need a lockdown just to make them tourney legal, but thats okay. The weight leaves something to be desired, having a stainless steel body and all the internals in the back make it fairly back heavy. a mag is probably as heavy as an electro spyder.

rainmakers are as fast as any electro. Their uncapped boards are always a plus, and the semi only means you dont hafta work with any dip switches or anything to make it tourney legal. stock, they aren't overly constistant, but with a new reg on them, +/- 5 is fairly easy to achieve. same with an autococker, they can be made to insanely low operating pressures. I've seen some down below 125 before, i've gotten mine around 200. They are a little heavy, but not as bad as a mag. Something about the boxyness of the rainmaker has a certain appeal to me.
__________________________________________________ __

I could continue but my hands are getting tired, so I'll just say:

Since you're probably grabbing both used, I say take the one thats more upgraded. Both perform equally stock, and both perform pretty much equally completely upgraded, the mag is just easier to get all the way upgraded.

Get the mag, unless the rainmaker is near halfway completely aftermarket.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:15 PM #9
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally posted by becker6988
classic mag. BE are the worst imitation of a cocker ive ever seen and its all plastic. BTW mags are constistant
FYI, way the Rainmaker "imitates" the cocker is in the barrel threaddings.

Also, an automag classic has MORE plastic in it than a Rainmaker. Heck, the entire grip frame is made of molded plastic rather than metal.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:13 PM #10
superman351
pro machinist

i have a highly upgraded rainmaker and a classic mag. the rainmaker wins in speed(after an aftermarket trigger kit is put in wich is hard to find) but the mag takes everything else. not to mention the rainmaker has been nothing but trouble from day 1, i love my mag its never gave me crap and hasnt broken down yet.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:13 PM #11
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ plays in the PSP
ScottQ supports Team VICIOUS
I have used my RM over both my old RT, and Proteam Micromag. My RM had less kick and weighed about the same. they had the same consistency since I used the same regs, barrels, and paint for all of my guns. The reason I used the RM over my mags were 2 reasons. I liked the feel of the RM better, it didnt have the fragile feel to it. Also my mags had velocity problems sometimes. They only had velocity problems when I was at a tournament and REALLY needed it to shoot under 300fps. I think they liked penalty points. Oh well.

try to find a RM and use it and see how you like it. Do the same for the mag.

If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:05 PM #12
cockerfreak221
Ahh Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is 2 u, housemaster. I suggust u get a cocker. They have outstanding performances,

we, here at PBN, dont encourage nor condone violations of the necessary saftey rules

Last edited by Kevmaster : 03-12-2003 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:19 PM #13
ScottQ
lefty scissors

Annual Supporting Member
ScottQ is a Moderator
ScottQ is a Supporting Member
ScottQ is a founding member
ScottQ works for a Paintball manufacturer
ScottQ plays in the PSP
ScottQ supports Team VICIOUS
umm, all 3 guns shoot over 300fps, but shooting over the 300fps limit is dangerous.

If you get confused just listen to the music play.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:30 PM #14
cockerfreak221
Ahh Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not always, just if ure between 15-20 feet usually. And the Rainmaker would probably blow up or something, if u try shooting at that volocity.

Last edited by cockerfreak221 : 03-12-2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:44 PM #15
Housemaster
The Bread Head

A Cocker is a no-no.

They run like **** on C02, hard to find cheap, and you're also a retard so I will never ever take your word for ANYTHING.

Quote:
not always, just if ure between 15-20 feet usually. And the Rainmaker would probably blow up or something, if u try shooting at that volocity.
Reminds me of a review on PBReview...a Rainmaker wouldnt blow up, not one gun would. Shooting higher than that velocity (not volocity) will damage any gun, but not "blow up" a single one.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:56 PM #16
cockerfreak221
Ahh Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What u want a cookie, 4 being able to spell, V-E-L-O-C-I-T-Y. And u dont only need help to decide, but u need help how to be cool. So let me advise u , yah rump. Dont flame people who can just compleatly humiliate u. By the way, you probably have your mom check your sentences of errers, so when some one screws up, u can dis them.

Last edited by cockerfreak221 : 03-12-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:17 PM #17
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

I was going to comment.....
But Cockerfreak did a pretty darn good job of making himself look like a foolish newb.

In that regard, how exactly does a Rainmaker explode? Running it on liquid oxygen?

Nick
Old 03-12-2003, 08:16 PM #18
cockerfreak221
Ahh Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? Do you feel special cause u just joined a flame war?

Last edited by cockerfreak221 : 03-13-2003 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:24 PM #19
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

We are in a flame war?

I though we were giving a grammar lesson.

Seriously, yes, the Cocker is a very nice paintball gun, although often overpriced.

For the price of a new rainmaker, you can not buy a used cocker.

But you could buy a used Mag. Classic mags sell very cheap since they have become unpopular, but you can throw on a Lvl10 and have a pretty good gun.

Nick
Old 03-12-2003, 09:03 PM #20
cockerfreak221
Ahh Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I will cut u some slack. Yes Mags are nice and u're right, their not overpriced, but I still think the cocker is a better performer, than the classic mags
Old 03-12-2003, 09:11 PM #21
cockerfreak221
Ahh Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have u ever gone to the pb world cup. I have. U know what the pros use, cockers. Because of the performance. Now i know that they have the money to buy cockers, but even a guy that i was talkin' 2, who loves mags even sayed that when he was in a tournament, the velocity messed up on him, and he got nailed cause of it.
Closed Thread