The Flood and the Ark. - Page 5 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-11-2007, 03:30 PM #85
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwac View Post
So noahs ark was just a little flood in a small area in which he didnt have that many animals?
Many scienctists/Historians that have tackled the flood story have equated it to a flood on the euphrates (may be the wrong one) river. I have some notes on it at home, not here with me right now. They believe the flood that occured would have decimated alot of people and land...But it would not have been a "worldwide" flood, bascially a smaller version of the bible story.
Hero is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM #86
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
2. The wood was gopher wood or cypress (in NIV) Source
3. I don't know, but I don't really think people were herbavores
4/9. Both are answered by geologic studies on the video linked above. BTW I graduated college.
6.
Quote:
6. No he created creatures that sin. IE..devil..humans.
I don't understand how that apllies to:
Quote:
6. brought food for them. I believe the barge was of sufficient size to allow this.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:01 PM #87
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
2. The wood was gopher wood or cypress (in NIV) Source
3. I don't know, but I don't really think people were herbavores
4/9. Both are answered by geologic studies on the video linked above. BTW I graduated college.
6.
I don't understand how that apllies to:
Actually I miss numbered. that was a respoonse to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
5. God didn't create sinners.
3. Reread the story of Noah then, or study the Hovind Theory. The bible states that People munched on Nuts/Berrys/Plants...Not animals. many christian Peta/vegatarians use that quote to justify their cause.
I'll check that video when i get home here in an hour. But I'm asking for your view. Simple as that.
Hero is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:10 PM #88
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
I'll check that video when i get home here in an hour. But I'm asking for your view. Simple as that.
You have to buy the video. My view is that the moral behind the story never changes, regardless of the details. (Immorality ultimately leads to destruction)
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:14 PM #89
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
You have to buy the video. My view is that the moral behind the story never changes, regardless of the details. (Immorality ultimately leads to destruction)
I'm not buying a video...
so you believe in the moral stance of the story. Why are you trying to debate my stance? I haven't morally attacked the story.
Hero is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:19 PM #90
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Why are you trying to debate my stance?
Because I believe a flood happened, whether it be global or continental or statewide, and that gives the moral story a grounding in reality.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM #91
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Because I believe a flood happened, whether it be global or continental or statewide, and that gives the moral story a grounding in reality.
hmmm Well Then you've been arguing against my view of the Global flood. I can believe a small Flood happened, just like i can believe a man named jesus existed. But both of those come with alotta baggage.
Hero is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM #92
xtraking
oh yes...
 
xtraking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland/Scranton
 has been a member for 10 years
I dont know if somebody stated this already, but I have been taught that this is just a story to explain the sin of man and the "rejeuvenating" of the world. It is so extreme and widley used as kid stories because intrigues kids to the bible, and makes it more enjoyable for them. I do not believe The bible is all "stories" though, I believe there is defiantly alot of truth, but some of the stories were made to try and get a message across to people alot easier.
__________________
The University of Scranton

Washington Capitals Baltimore RavensWBS Penguins
xtraking is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:38 PM #93
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
hmmm Well Then you've been arguing against my view of the Global flood. I can believe a small Flood happened, just like i can believe a man named jesus existed. But both of those come with alotta baggage.
Agreed. There is evidence of a localized flood in the region. None of a global flood or of a guy putting thousand of animals on a boat
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM #94
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraking View Post
I dont know if somebody stated this already, but I have been taught that this is just a story to explain the sin of man and the "rejeuvenating" of the world. It is so extreme and widley used as kid stories because intrigues kids to the bible, and makes it more enjoyable for them. I do not believe The bible is all "stories" though, I believe there is defiantly alot of truth, but some of the stories were made to try and get a message across to people alot easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
First I want to State that the flood story is a story of cruelty, unjust punishment, and destruction that should NOT be taught to children. To try and justify a story that is the equivalent to a Mother drowning her children for stealing, as a good night time story is just crap. But if you butter it up with a rainbow, a dove, and some hip-hop music…It just might slip it’s way into broadway’s rear end.
Hero is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM #95
xtraking
oh yes...
 
xtraking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland/Scranton
 has been a member for 10 years
Well you sort of got part of my point in there .
__________________
The University of Scranton

Washington Capitals Baltimore RavensWBS Penguins
xtraking is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM #96
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Hero, that is my point. Most people think Christianity and science can't coexist because most Christian's don't look at it like their interpretation could have been exaggerated.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:49 PM #97
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Hero, that is my point. Most people think Christianity and science can't coexist because most Christian's don't look at it like their interpretation could have been exaggerated.
But my point is the bibles story isn't possible.
Hero is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 04:53 PM #98
gwac
 
 
gwac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
It could be possible on a realy miniturised scale when a river flooded and killed some people but world wide or country wide isnt posible.
gwac is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 05:18 PM #99
xtraking
oh yes...
 
xtraking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland/Scranton
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Hero, that is my point. Most people think Christianity and science can't coexist because most Christian's don't look at it like their interpretation could have been exaggerated.
you mgiht of been referring to me instead of hero, the smiley face was sarcastic so i probably should of used a instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraking View Post
Well you sort of got part of my point in there .
/fixed
__________________
The University of Scranton

Washington Capitals Baltimore RavensWBS Penguins
xtraking is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM #100
Lehk
<3 Phoenix
 
Lehk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
I disagree with your statement of fact. There are many that do believe it happened, and that it is possible.
a lot of people believe many things, that doesn't meant they aren't wrong

many believed that there were WMD's in iraq, many believed the earth was flay, many believed the sun went around the earth, many believed leeches and holes in the head were good medicine, (yes i know leeches are now useful for blood flow problems) many people believed lobotomy was a good way to deal with "misbehaving" women, many people believed electroshock was a good way to deal with pretty much every mental illness
Lehk is offline  
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 PM #101
Charles666
cwatididthar?
 
Charles666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
There has been lots of questions but no answers at all in that thread, read back a few page please.
__________________
Forever Young

ST:You're not one of us.
Charles666 is offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 AM #102
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehk View Post
a lot of people believe many things, that doesn't meant they aren't wrong

many believed that there were WMD's in iraq, many believed the earth was flay, many believed the sun went around the earth, many believed leeches and holes in the head were good medicine, (yes i know leeches are now useful for blood flow problems) many people believed lobotomy was a good way to deal with "misbehaving" women, many people believed electroshock was a good way to deal with pretty much every mental illness
please read all my other posts on the topic to understand the point I was making. you seemed to miss it.

in these threads, it is common for many people to make statements of fact, when in fact, it is their opinion, theory and conjecture. if they make the statement of fact, the burden of PROOF is therefor on their shoulders. They cannot prove that those things did not happen as I (and many others) believe they did.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 10:55 AM #103
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath
 
blueshifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
But my point is the bibles story isn't possible.
Have you read the "bible's story?" Here is why it doesn't contradict.

Quote:
Perhaps the most controversial aspect of the Genesis Flood is its geographical extent. Part of the basis for the controversy is that Genesis addresses the geophysics, geology, and geography of the flood only secondarily. Its main message is that God was compelled to cleanse the earth of the wickedness of man. The message of God's judgment against rampant evil is very clearly stated and understood in any translation. However, in order to comprehend the geological details concerning the flood, it is helpful, perhaps in this case essential, to read the Genesis text in the original Hebrew, and even then the text is not always as specific as one might like.

A good rule of Biblical interpretation is to analyze that which is less specific in the light of that which is more specific. As I mentioned in part seven of this series, the Bible is very specific about the extent of the defilement of man's sin and about God's response. The defilement is limited to the sinners, their progeny for several generations, birds and mammals which are part of their livelihood, their material possessions, and their agricultural land. Nowhere in the Bible do we see God's meting out judgment beyond those limits. Hence, we can expect that if mankind had never visited Antarctica, God would not have struck that territory. The extent of the Genesis flood would be limited to the extent of the defilement of man's sin. This interpretation is supported by the Genesis author's choice of the Hebrew words for creatures" destroyed by the flood, namely basar and nephesh. Part seven gives further details.

In Genesis 7:4-12 we are told that the flood arose from the earth's troposphere and from underground aquifers (not from some unknown place in outer space). These water resources are considerable, to be sure, but fall short of what verse 19 seems to require. According to Genesis 7:19, the waters "rose greatly ... and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered." The English translation seems to imply that even Mt. Everest was submerged under the flood waters. The Hebrew word for "high," however, simply means elevated" and for "mountain," means anything from "a small hillock" to "a towering peak." The Hebrew verb for "covered" allows three alternatives: (1) inundated, (2) rained upon, or (3) washed over as by a rush of water. In any of these cases, 15 cubits of standing water, 15 cubits of sudden rainfall, or a 15-cubit rush of water, there would be no human or animal survivors.

Genesis 8 gives us the most significant evidence for a universal (with respect to man and his animals and lands), but not global, flood. The four different Hebrew verbs used in Genesis 8:1-8 to describe the receding of the flood waters indicate that these waters returned to their original sources. In other words, the waters of the flood are still to be found within the aquifers and troposphere and oceans of planet Earth. Since the total water content of the earth is only 22 percent of what would be needed for a global flood, it appears that the Genesis flood could not have been global.
__________________
Feedback: Old (+4)
blueshifty is offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 PM #104
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Macomb, IL
Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
real quick there shifty:
Point to me in the bible where is states the Troposphere is where the water came from.
Thnx
Hero is offline  
Old 01-12-2007, 12:36 PM #105
Mastermind26
We are moons
 
Mastermind26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
real quick there shifty:
Point to me in the bible where is states the Troposphere is where the water came from.
Thnx
Gen. 1:6-8
6 Then God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters."
7 Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.
__________________
†Christ † Krew†

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump