The Flood and the Ark. - Page 22 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-30-2007, 05:16 PM #442
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambi_slaughter View Post
actually it is the very first thing it says after it tells you the "charicteristics" of the animal, and after it gets past the history of the word. unsorry to say but i was right.
but that's not what you said.
you said:
Quote:
...there was like 20 diff things that they said it could have been. however the first thing they said is that it is a mythical (sp) creature.
the "first thing" and "the first thing after the..." are two different statements. AND you said that it said that it said it is a mythical creature. the article doesn't say that. it says that it can be interpreted that way, not that it must be interpreted that way.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2007, 06:36 PM #443
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambi_slaughter View Post
i was obviosly refering to the main body of the article, stupid.
so, you get to call names too?- no respect there (a rule of the forum) and no - it wasn't obvious - because that's not what you said. you said what you said, and left it at that. I pointed it out to you, so then you apparently decided to get defensive and personal about it.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 06:52 PM #444
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream
 
Pump Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Wisconsin
Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Last reminder - personal attacks do not and will not fly here.
__________________
WISCONSIN NAVARONE
Pump Scout's Curator's Corner thread
Inception Designs

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 06:55 PM #445
bambi_slaughter (Banned)
god is genocide
 
bambi_slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: granvtville,pennslyvania
sorry, it jus gets hard when your trying to get a point across
bambi_slaughter is offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM #446
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.
 
Topazbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
You're going to assume it happened just because we can't prove it didn't? That seems awfully like the infamous British libel laws to me.
__________________
I do Anodizing, click here and PM me.
Topazbullet is offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM #447
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazbullet View Post
You're going to assume it happened just because we can't prove it didn't?..
nope. I won't do that. I may not agree that it didn't happen, but not because someone can't prove it didn't happen. that has never been my point in calling out those statements of fact. I am just trying to get people to understand what they are posting. just like the others.

they make statements as a matter of fact, when the statements are really beliefs, etc. it may be "fact" to them, but when it is presented in a way and without any other context, that assumes that everyone must agree - if I catch it and then I will call it out.

not even because I believe they are wrong and I am right. I have said that many times (and have done it with religious posters that I even agree with). it's because they seem to assume that everyone must agree with them, even though it is otherwise not provable.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 PM #448
bambi_slaughter (Banned)
god is genocide
 
bambi_slaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: granvtville,pennslyvania
i cant prove that theres not a circus of dancing midgets that roast marshmallows on pluto and yodel to the easter bunny on neptune....so you mise well also believe that. ya know? it cant be disproven.
bambi_slaughter is offline  
Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 PM #449
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambi_slaughter View Post
i cant prove that theres not a circus of dancing midgets that roast marshmallows on pluto and yodel to the easter bunny on neptune....so you mise well also believe that. ya know? it cant be disproven.
you are missing the point altogether.

If there was someone that believed that there's "a circus of dancing midgets that roast marshmallows on pluto and yodel to the easter bunny on neptune", and then you made a statement to them and others, that was a "matter of fact" saying that it is "impossible" or that "it didn't/won't/can't happen", then I would call that out as well; and ask you to prove it.

again, it's not about the content of the statements necessarily - I have said this many times. It's about the statement presented as fact without being able to prove it, when it should be a statement of belief, or theory, or conjecture etc. it's all about presentation.

I believe that those kinds of statements push your beliefs on others, by assuming that everyone must, by acceptance or not saying otherwise, agree.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:09 PM #450
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
when it should be a statement of belief, or theory, or conjecture etc.
Don't put theory in the same sentence as belief and conjecture. You should know better.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:13 PM #451
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..
 
mynameisjonathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TN
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann playa View Post
Nope, well according to scientists anyway. They were supposedly extinct before the first Humans came about
Why did you up this after 2 months of no posting?
__________________
aim yooler
Rain down, rain down
Come on rain down on me
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
mynameisjonathon is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:15 PM #452
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike
 
Tippmann playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
Why did you up this after 2 months of no posting?
Yeah, I just realized that and edited my post. Someone posted before me (it was on the top of my screen)that uped it then deleted their post so now I have the first post. Either that, or I popsted in the wrong thread on accident. Im still confused as to how it happeened.....?
__________________
"If you are reading this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Tippmann playa is offline  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 PM #453
Derr
•THE EDITOR•
 
Derr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Nice work all.
__________________
::Derr's Epic Ride::

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump