Old 01-02-2007, 09:37 PM #1
threeham
man seen from see

has been a member for 10 years
threeham has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
threeham has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
threeham has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
PMR Velocity: How not to shoot orings

I decided to write this up since I've found it's a very real problem. The PMR's fresh out of the box and even during the break-in period seem fairly prone to this problem. Reguardless, this 'issue' isn't so much a flaw in the design as much as fair warning to anyone with a Rail and a resource for common troubleshooting.

Because of the Hyper2 reg and an otherwise new level of technology in the low-cost high-performance niche of paintball; the PMR is pretty prone to shooting Orings. Alot of DM/PM owners have noticed that there's alot of posts in this forum about "Leaking etc from etc" and most of them seem to be pointed at the bolt cap and gun body. Alot of this is due to the fact that the Hyper2 on the PMR seems like it's turned up to 340+ on most peoples guns out of the box. If this wasn't the case, it's likly that during tuning or dryfiring the FPS accidently spiked upwards of this number. Because of the mechanics of the bolt; one of several orings designed to seal exhaust or intake can easily become lose or even shot out of the barrel(or exhaust port) when the FPS reaches these commonly unsafe velocity's. This can lead to an instant chain of leaks and damage to other orings. It's important when adjusting your velocity, you turn the hyper2 reg ALL THE WAY DOWN. After that, pull the velocity out 3 turns. Gas up the marker; before you adjust the velocity you'll notice a leak in the gun body. This is because the pressure into the gun is not significant enough to seal. As you slowly begin to adjust the velocity the leak will grow smaller, and then silent; as you continue you'll hear the bolt "seal" and it's a good time to start adjusting. Every regulator is unique, so take your time and slowly tune the gun upwards little by little. Remeber it will take a few shots for the FPS to adjust with each adjustment of the regulator. Remeber when you're done for the day and the regulator is still breaking in(Try not to count 2000 shots, just give it a good period) you'll need to repeat this process because you can risk shooting out orings low into the 300's.

I've noticed the most common orings to shoot out are on the bolt stem(BN 07[#9 in your manual]) and inside the manifold(BN 14[#5 In your manual]). These are the first places I look when I suddenly have a leak that seems to get better or seal after a few shots. Also, if you seem to have excessive exhaust or leaks from vibration replacing the back cap oring(BN 18[#10 in your manual]) with a BN 20(#1 in your manual) and you should see some improvement. Though I personally reccomend the NDZ metal back cap; since you can seal and remove the bolt easily with your FINGERS(Which I was pleased to confirm today).

I hope I maybe shed some light on leak issues and helped some people quicky address some issues; soon to come: Installing the NDZ Slik trigger and installing the Dye Ultralight frame.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2007, 09:51 PM #2
CrazyLittle (Banned)
what

CrazyLittle donated to help Peyton Trent
CrazyLittle is playing at Living Legends III
CrazyLittle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrazyLittle supports Team VICIOUS
Good stuff. I hope people other than you and I actually read it
Old 01-02-2007, 09:55 PM #3
Lovemyfender14

i read it, it was just never a problem for me my gu was shooitng about 270 out of the box... not a huge deal lol

@(0o0)@ <- yeah its a koala... got a problem?

http://dingdingdong.ytmnd.com/ <- thats funny.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM #4
threeham
man seen from see

Seems to be the #1 problem with PMR's in this forum is literacy
Old 01-02-2007, 09:56 PM #5
CrazyLittle (Banned)
what

CrazyLittle donated to help Peyton Trent
CrazyLittle is playing at Living Legends III
CrazyLittle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrazyLittle supports Team VICIOUS
I'm sorry I didn't quite understand you there.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:57 PM #6
Lovemyfender14

you talking to me? lol im literate i just type way too fast. But yeah crazylittle had to tell a kid to read his manual like 3 times before he actually copyed down the section of the manual he was referring too and after the kid still didnt get it im pretty sure he gave up

Old 01-02-2007, 10:00 PM #7
Passmeabeerdude
PassMeABeerDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeham View Post
Seems to be the #1 problem with PMR's in this forum is literacy
QFT

Feedback
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM #8
threeham
man seen from see

Crazylittle might be talking to himself, this kind of thing is a debate worthy of betting; but I know alot of people(even a guy at my own field) who reads and appreciates PMR stuff myself, crazy, and alot of people contribute. Belive it or not, there are '07 users and tech's who use these forums for info since there's not alot of communication about it yet.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 PM #9
Lovemyfender14

uhm i appreciate the PMR stuff too dont leave me out of the club.... lol but yeah erayser is hardcore with the PMR sticky and what not... hes my hero sort of.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 PM #10
fkdash
I pay for my own pb gear

good to know about the problems and of how the hyper 2 was set way above 300.

if this was xanga i would give you props lolz

~spyder electra 06 with eye~smartparts ion~

gear/equipment- ~DYE attack pack and pods~av 22in gear bag~dye c6 jersey & pants~ custom raven jersey~raven pants~halo b with rip~sp preset on/off~CCM low rise~pmi 72/3000~
Old 01-03-2007, 12:48 AM #11
amd2323

This would have been really use full when i bought my pmr, it took me at least 2 hrs to figure that out myself, this should be included in the pmr sticky, it would eliminate a lot of "my pmr has a leak" threads. Good job by the way
Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 AM #12
erayser
AlternativePB.com

Annual Supporting Member
erayser is a Moderator
erayser is a Supporting Member
erayser is BST Legit
I added this thread at the very top of the "PMR Troubleshooting thread" in sticky.

Hope you don't mind.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:06 AM #13
threeham
man seen from see

!

Thanks rayser <3
Old 01-29-2007, 01:33 AM #14
Lazr111

Lazr111 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lazr111 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thank you, I was having massive leak problems after trying to chrono mine, and after reading this I tried reseting the reg, and it stopped leaking and dry fired beautifuly. Now I have to try it on the field.

Edit: It works wonderfully, now. This is now one of my favorite markers to shoot, if not my favorite, and I've shot pretty much every high-end marker you can think of.

My Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=625712

Last edited by Lazr111 : 03-15-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:54 AM #15
ApkPB
Armed Force #52

ApkPB owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ApkPB supports Pev's Paintball
wow this helps a lot. i was getting frustrated at my pmr for leakin out the cap at a tourney last weekend and i had to sit out our first 2 games because of it and to finally stop it (lessen the leak) i just crammed the back of it with lube. I wont have time to try your suggestion for a couple of days seeing as i will be out of town within a couple hours of reading this but this definitely helps shine some light on potential problems. thanks a lot
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM #16
BaMa PaInTbAlLeR

yea Im glad you posted this I meen my pmr out of the box was shooting 270, but the second day I went to play with it it was shooting 330 why does that happin??

Your addicted to paintball when:
You walk everything with your fingers, even the air|You pretend to bunker and snapshoot people when goin around corners|You carry your marker with you around your house.

SAVE A ROCK, THROW AN ION
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM #17
GnArKiLL04
VROOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erayser View Post
I added this thread at the very top of the "PMR Troubleshooting thread" in sticky.

Hope you don't mind.

you could make the whole first page just Stickies and people would still just skip them and go to page two
Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM #18
Chinesus

yes, I had this problem, it blew the gasket o ring, which was a pain. Despite my knowing that none of the newbie pmr owners will read this, thanks for posting, it will solve a lot of peoples' problems (if they read it...)
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 PM #19
Trac453

Hey im a Newbie PMR owner. Then again maybe im one of the smart ones that is going through all these things and reading the threads before I have a problem

Last edited by Trac453 : 03-16-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:33 AM #20
The Meef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazr111 View Post
Thank you, I was having massive leak problems after trying to chrono mine, and after reading this I tried reseting the reg, and it stopped leaking and dry fired beautifuly.
Literally same here Lazr, except I learned through trial and error myself.

Replacing to BN# 20 O-ring that goes on the backcap does wonders, at least for me: I actually broke my oring by taking off the backcap... Happened twice (and ofc backcap stripped) and I believe the first time it was replaced with the exact same one as stock. With #20, I have not had this happen but then again I dunno if thats about my user error or the ring, either way replace that ring and save yourself a headache, for whatever reason I believe it fits there better than the orignal stock one (can't remember the # now).

I also had my gun leak when not enough pressure was put through reg to pressurize. I bugged out, and then figured that out randomly, just adjusting the reg.
The major points/problems described in your thread were the only ones I had during the "break-in" period. I just played with my PMR yesterday again, and 2 boxes of paint with no chops,was the story. A regularly lubed bolt and stock o rings (besides back cap one) is all I have to attribute to this performance.
Crossfire 68/4500, Halo Loader Stock, SP Freak Front
Whothehellstolemyspacebar?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM #21
805_PMR
Proto Joto

Great advise. Just had the same problem.

First off, the regulator might be counterintuitive for someone who isn't used to pneumatics like this, where tightening is decreasing pressure. I'm sure that in it's self as caused many a shot O-ring.

Also, that inner manifold #014 O-ring can be crazyness to repair. I just spent 20 minutes using my fingers and 3 small allen wrenches to guide it into it's housing. I've found that the best way to get that particular O-ring in is to get it as far seated as possible using your fingers, hold the seated portion in with a small allen wrench, then use a finger tip to get the rest seated. Hard to get to that one indeed.