Old 08-24-2007, 01:47 PM #1
sutcivnI (Banned)

sutcivnI is a Supporting Member
Upgrading my computer

Alright, so here are the specs:

-AMD X2 4000+ dual core processor
-2 gigs of ram
-a **** ton of HD space
-Geforce 6150 SE nForce 4300 (onboard graphics)

I recently found that with this computer I can actually play games like Half Life 2 and Garry's Mod on the high detail level with very little stuttering unless there are a lot of things on screen at once. however, everything just isn't as crisp as I would like it, and I know damned well this machine won't run a lot of newer games (and even some older games like FEAR) very well on high detail, so I want to upgrade.

My question is: in your professional opinions, do I just need to swap out my graphics card? I was aiming for a Geforce 8600 GT. If I get that do I need a new motherboard as well or just the card? I ask that because the current card is integrated, so I don't know how upgrading that would work.

If not, do I need something else? I figure 2 gigs of ram is a pretty hefty amount, but would more help? How about a bigger hard drive?

I think this computer is really very capable of a lot of things and it runs very quickly and smoothly (it's a Dell Inspiron). I just want to get that extra graphical power that I just don't have yet.

Thanks in advance for help

Mike
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2007, 02:15 PM #2
wakeboardr886

has been a member for 10 years
Well if you were thinking of playing some of the new games that are going to come out (CoD4, bioshock (already out), crysis), then I would just get a new setup. I'll hopefully be getting mine soon when cod4 comes out

The best thing you can do is buy a new video card. How much money are you willing to spend?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:16 PM #3
AR55
conch shell warrior

AR55 is a Supporting Member
Don't get the 8600, it performs pretty poorly on DX9 games compared to the 7000 series.

My computer is almost exactly like yours, except I have a +4400 and a 7950gt. All you really need is a better graphics card [onboard is pathetic] and you should be able to play most of the games coming out fairly well. I'm able to run Bioshock at max settings, aa on, the works. Your video card, or lack of one, is the only thing holding you back from playing games. You might also need to upgrade your power supply depending on choice of graphics card.

As for graphics cards I would advise against the 8600 for the reasons above, and opt for a evga 7900gs. Then when the 9000 series comes out you could trade in the card [via step up program] for the cheaper 8800gts or one the new cards.

Last edited by AR55 : 08-24-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:20 PM #4
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

An X1950XT with a Zalman VF900 can be purchased around $200. It's the premiere DX9 card out there.

Since your computer is a Dell, it has a proprietary power supply with just enough power to run the components you have. I suggest buying a new psu from PC Power&Cooling for your case if you want to get a new video card.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 08-24-2007, 02:48 PM #5
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR55 View Post
Don't get the 8600, it performs pretty poorly on DX9 games compared to the 7000 series.

My computer is almost exactly like yours, except I have a +4400 and a 7950gt. All you really need is a better graphics card [onboard is pathetic] and you should be able to play most of the games coming out fairly well. I'm able to run Bioshock at max settings, aa on, the works. Your video card, or lack of one, is the only thing holding you back from playing games. You might also need to upgrade your power supply depending on choice of graphics card.

As for graphics cards I would advise against the 8600 for the reasons above, and opt for a evga 7900gs. Then when the 9000 series comes out you could trade in the card [via step up program] for the cheaper 8800gts or one the new cards.
Do you have any idea when the 9000 series will come out?

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason
Old 08-24-2007, 02:50 PM #6
AR55
conch shell warrior

AR55 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
Do you have any idea when the 9000 series will come out?
It should come out near November, when all new computer parts usually come out. Usually you don't start to see the big drop in prices until January.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:51 PM #7
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR55 View Post
It should come out near November, when all new computer parts usually come out. Usually you don't start to see the big drop in prices until January.
Thanks

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason