PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-23-2003, 07:34 AM #1
RW-2086

has been a member for 10 years
Mag good for first gun?

I'm new to paintball; I've only played once at a real field, but I want to get a gun, but I'm not sure what kind. I don't really want to get a something like a spyder, because I think I'll outgrow it quickly. So, my question is: is a mag a good furst gun or should I start with something like a spyder?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2003, 11:21 AM #2
TheLitt

Yes, but I'd caution you against it. Get a Tippmann or a spyder first, or rent a few more times in case you don't like the sport.

But if you buy a used mag, you have most of your bases covered. The resale value of a used mag does not drop at all, so you don't risk much. The Mag will also last you a good 10 or 15 years if you take care of it. (My mag is 9 years old now and still shooting strong). The Mag is a fairly simple marker to maintain and will treat you well if you learn the trigger. If you have more questions about mags, automags.org is a good place them.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:38 AM #3
RW-2086

I know I like paintball. Even though I've only played once at a real field, me and some friends have played in some woods together a couple times. As for the Spyder, I have a friend who will sell me a Spyder Xtra with a CO2 tank and a barrel for $50. I might just go ahead and buy that, and then save some money and buy a mag or cocker when I get better. I didn't ask about a cocker in this thread cuz there's no way I would want a cocker as my first gun from what I've heard about them, but once I learn more, I'm not ruling it out (especially what with all the little parts and all inside it, since I enjoy working on things).
Old 02-23-2003, 12:03 PM #4
PiRanTah
Dark Rises Once Again...

thats a good deal there.. buy that and play with it. then start saving up for a high end gun and go from that Xtra to some expensive gun and impress everyone
----------------------
SS WGP Barrel
Orracle Bolt
Dremel'd Hinge
WGP On/Off Cradle
12v rev w/x board
47/3000 n2 tank
Old 02-24-2003, 06:55 PM #5
Macanudo
suninberg

Macanudo is a Supporting Member
the extra is a good deal.........my first gun was an avenger + 14 0z Co2+ mask + hopper it added up to around 150 bc i bout it all seperate. So i would definelty say buy that spyder first. When I had my cocker it was a lot of work and im glad that I learned the do's and don'ts of paintball first.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:02 PM #6
RW-2086

Yeah I think I'll go ahead and buy the Spyder, and then save for something else.

Anyone else?
Old 02-25-2003, 09:09 PM #7
Rel°ađ
[ 3uthanasia ]

Don't skimp out on the mask .. Get something like a V-Force Shield or Raven NVX ..

"Paintball isn't a sport, it's a way of life. | Invision the move."
[ G 3 P B ] [ Dye Precision ] [ Endless Paintball ] [ Mad Cocker ]

Quote:
Originally posted by cockermatt
Tippmann > Impy

'nuff said
Old 02-25-2003, 09:17 PM #8
Cobra-LCD-Angel

yea get the spyder and then play and play hard till you outgrow it then get a mag or cocker or timmy or even an angel. maybe not the timmy or angel.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:26 PM #9
RW-2086

Yup. I'll buy the Spyder, but since I'm already replying here, and I'm too lazy to make a new thread, how much would I be looking to pay for something like a used Impulse or good mag.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:38 PM #10
paintballer1833
Banned

Don t reccomend a spyder definantly over a mag. Mags get same to more bps and dont break a lot ( at all). But i suggest a cocker over a mag any day. My old mag never broke but rof wise and accuracy wise ( not as accurate as cocker) they were low.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:58 PM #11
DaveMan
Yep...

Quote:
Originally posted by paintballer1833
Don t reccomend a spyder definantly over a mag. Mags get same to more bps and dont break a lot ( at all). But i suggest a cocker over a mag any day. My old mag never broke but rof wise and accuracy wise ( not as accurate as cocker) they were low.
I dont think a cocker is a good idea for for somebody starting out...
Old 02-26-2003, 08:36 PM #12
paintballer1833
Banned

Ya good call. Forgot who i was writting for. GET A IMP they are easy to take care of and need no upgrades to perform. USE CO2 unlike mags. open bolt makes them very easy to take care of. You will have it forever thanks to all the upgrades. Its a great gun and you wont sell it in 6 months. Did i mention it runs on anti siphon co2.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:22 PM #13
RW-2086

Aren't Impys like $500? I don't exactly have that much money to spend on a paintball gun right now, so I'm gonna buy that Xtra sometime soon, as soon as I get enough money to buy it. I have to pay the insurance for my truck, and right now I'm not getting very many hours at my job, so it might be a while. But yeah....
Old 02-27-2003, 10:36 PM #14
Rel°ađ
[ 3uthanasia ]

$400 for the normal black Impy. If you are going to buy a Imp, buy one at http://www.e-paintballoutlet.com. FOM, the owner, has the best deals ever!

"Paintball isn't a sport, it's a way of life. | Invision the move."
[ G 3 P B ] [ Dye Precision ] [ Endless Paintball ] [ Mad Cocker ]

Quote:
Originally posted by cockermatt
Tippmann > Impy

'nuff said
Old 02-27-2003, 10:53 PM #15
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
cockers aren't especially accurate, its all about paint to barrel match. mags cap at about 16 bps stock, cockers cap at about 13 stock.

Quote:
But if you buy a used mag, you have most of your bases covered. The resale value of a used mag does not drop at all, so you don't risk much
um, resale value drops greatly. a brand new mag with no barrel will cost more than a used mag with barrel, hopper, and a 68/3k n2 tank. this is good tho cuz you can just go on ebay and find a good mag for really cheap.

ôIf it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethalö
-Terry Eagleton
Old 02-28-2003, 02:38 AM #16
playsomehiphop
got beat?

duhhhh....

thats why he said to buy a USED MAG cuz the resale value doesn't drop if you buy it USED..... read the quote you posted before correcting anyone.... but ebay is the shiznit for paintball stuff. WELCOME TO THE SPORT RW-2086!!! HOPE YOU CAN SUPPORT YOUR NEW HABIT, CUZ IT BECOMES AN ADDICTION REAL QUICK!!!

Jerseys Are Gay
Old 02-28-2003, 11:59 AM #17
paintballer1833
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by automagsrule
cockers aren't especially accurate, its all about paint to barrel match. mags cap at about 16 bps stock, cockers cap at about 13 stock.

um, resale value drops greatly. a brand new mag with no barrel will cost more than a used mag with barrel, hopper, and a 68/3k n2 tank. this is good tho cuz you can just go on ebay and find a good mag for really cheap.
Though mags have a good resale value i think getting a cocker is better. First mags cannot shoot fast ( i had one). Their regs can handle 16 bps max but i know no one has ever or will ever reach 16 bps on a mag with a non electric trigger. The cocker is not capped at 13. I have shot a cocker with a race frame 15 bps full auto. And cockers do shoot a lot flatter then a mag... a lot. This makes them more accurate or seem more which is all that matters. But i still recomend a imp which you can get for 400 at EPO with a tapeworm. This is your best choice because co2 can be used with a anti siphon. You also dont need to worry about upgrades because of how sweet it works out of the box.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:56 PM #18
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Though mags have a good resale value i think getting a cocker is better. First mags cannot shoot fast ( i had one). Their regs can handle 16 bps max but i know no one has ever or will ever reach 16 bps on a mag with a non electric trigger. The cocker is not capped at 13. I have shot a cocker with a race frame 15 bps full auto. And cockers do shoot a lot flatter then a mag... a lot. This makes them more accurate or seem more which is all that matters. But i still recomend a imp which you can get for 400 at EPO with a tapeworm. This is your best choice because co2 can be used with a anti siphon. You also dont need to worry about upgrades because of how sweet it works out of the box.
you do realize most of your post contradict 2 tests from warpig, 1 from agd, and 1 from wgp?

race frame, full auto, anyone can do that you stupid moron. I cna shoot 66.6 bps full auto with my sfl timmy, does that mean I'm capable of that semi? thats what i thought you stupid newb. a stock cocker (2k2, slide trig and old wgp 3-way) can and will not fire faster than 13 bps. put a hinge, get a new 3 way, or both, than sure it can go faster.

once you break in a stock mag, it can reach ROF in the double digits easily.

cockers don't shoot flatter trajectories than other guns... search around on warpig if you don't believe me.

ôIf it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethalö
-Terry Eagleton
Old 02-28-2003, 09:15 PM #19
paintballer1833
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by automagsrule
you do realize most of your post contradict 2 tests from warpig, 1 from agd, and 1 from wgp?

race frame, full auto, anyone can do that you stupid moron. I cna shoot 66.6 bps full auto with my sfl timmy, does that mean I'm capable of that semi? thats what i thought you stupid newb. a stock cocker (2k2, slide trig and old wgp 3-way) can and will not fire faster than 13 bps. put a hinge, get a new 3 way, or both, than sure it can go faster.

once you break in a stock mag, it can reach ROF in the double digits easily.

cockers don't shoot flatter trajectories than other guns... search around on warpig if you don't believe me.
Ok i know your situation. You are a n00b that has a mag and thinks its the best gun in the world. Dont bull**** me i know you dont have a SFL timmy. I said i shot a cocker with race 15 bps full auto because you said it was capped ( aka can not go faster) then 13 bps. I had a mag for a while and i assure you it was well broke in. No one can reach over 10 bps with a stock mag and now one ever will. I dont need to look on warpig like you N00b i have shot and played with many autocockers and know that they have a flat trejectories. Sorry i know that a mags reg is limited to 16 bps without crazy drop off.

PS You are telling me im taking info from articles yet all you know came from articles on warpig and the shockteck website.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:31 PM #20
crimsonrain22
Fat Tony

I have to agree to some point my first gun was a mag, I have a aka excalibur now. Mag is a great gun i never had anything go wrong with my mag in the 4 years I owned it. But the trigger pull was awful. I know you can do some stuff to make it better but mine was really bad. I got rid of it and got a e-force piranha wicked for a gun for that price range. Buy yah i would say go for a mag rof fire is only good if you can afford to feed your gun. I could play all day with my mag on 700 rounds of paint. Using my excalibur i go through a case and a half sometimes more.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:45 AM #21
Macanudo
suninberg

Macanudo is a Supporting Member
Guys stop b******* at each other and help him, you can usually find a used cocker for around or under 300 and a used mags Ive seen from 150 to 300 but In the long run I prefer the cocker. Enjoi your new spyder!

Official Trauma Fanclub Member#13