Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM #1
necb77

I think my fusion F7 board is broken

I can't power on my DP Fusion F7. I put in a new battery and when I hit the on switch the blue blinking LED never turns on. The battery gets warm/hot but I can't seem to get the gun to turn on. Is the board broken?
necb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2014, 09:50 PM #2
Ahura_Mazda

That's a bad sign. Can you see any visible damage to the pathways, resistors, or the like? I'm no electric engineer by when batteries get hot that makes me think there's a short.
Ahura_Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:48 AM #3
necb77

No, I don't see any visible damage to the board. Everything looks fine.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:10 AM #4
CA_Tectonics

Did it all of a sudden start doing this? Did you unplug all of the molex connectors and plug them back in before this started? Is the battery plugged into the right place on the board? Is the capacitor buldging on the end of it? What board is it?
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:08 PM #5
FNX45

Can we get some high quality pictures of the board electronics? When did this start happening? Did you leave a battery in the marker for a long period of time without use? There are many things that can cause these issues, including exposure to a battery for a long period of time without use, water damage, or physical trauma.
FNX45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:20 PM #6
necb77

I bought the gun on ebay so I have no way of knowing the history of this gun. When I got it I put a new battery in it and tried to power it on. The gun failed to start and the battery got hot. I removed the board from the gun and disconnected the eyes and solinoid cable. I put in a new battery and tried to start it. Even with the board completely disconnected from the gun (eyes and solinoid disconnected) when I plug a battery into it and attempt to turn on the board the LED does not light up and the battery gets really hot. I'm almost certain the board has a short in it. Here are some pics of the board...

Upon inspection of the board it looks like there is some type of corrosion/wear on the part of the board by the trigger sensor.

Last edited by necb77 : 11-29-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:58 PM #7
CA_Tectonics

It appears that whatever name you posted with the pics is on the blocked/filter list.
7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Old 11-29-2014, 09:22 PM #8
necb77

Switched images to tinypic
Old 11-29-2014, 09:43 PM #9
CA_Tectonics

Yup. That works.

I think I see the problem too. It looks like you have a resister that popped. It is one for the power button (which would explain it not turning on). If you look at the back of the board and at the R15 location ( back side of the power putt on component), that resister looks out of place and likely blown. There does appear to be some damage to the coating in general all over the board as well. May have gotten wet at one point or maybe paint on it. I wonder if you were to pinch that resister with your fingers once it is lined up, if the board would turn on? If so, a tiny bit of solder may get you operating.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:57 PM #10
necb77

Okay, I ordered two boards. One is the APE rampage and I also ordered a replacement board from Dangerous Power and neither board are working. The board from Dangerous Power does the same thing. The battery gets warm (didn't wait around for it to get hot for fear of damaging the board) and the board doesn't start. The APE rampage board just doesn't even start, the battery never gets warm.

Two bad boards? It seems unlikely. The only thing I can think of is my battery connector. Maybe it's corroded or it has a short? It looks fine. I noticed that there is no resistor between the connectors, but maybe that's normal. I'm open to suggestions...
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48 PM #11
CA_Tectonics

Wow. I'm with you......highly unlikely that you got all bad boards. I'll check my Fusion board/connectors tomorrow and compare to your pics. It looks like the polarity is correct based on the molex connector but I'll verify.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:49 PM #12
necb77

It seems far fetched, but the connector is the only thing I can think of. These boards won't work, even with the eyes and solinoid cables connected. Here is a more detailed picture of my battery connector...

When I look at the stock connector on the Dangerous Power website....

http://www.shopdangerouspower.com/in...product_id=164

The wires come out the side of the connector available on the DP site.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:30 PM #13
CA_Tectonics

OK, figured it out.....the polarity is incorrect on your plug. The black wire should be on the outside (closest to the edge of the board). Is the molex plugged in correctly?
Old 12-06-2014, 08:30 PM #14
necb77

Yes, the molex was definitely plugged in correctly, it simply won't fit in the other way. I'm beginning to think that the guy that sold this to me did not know anything about how this gun worked. When I got the gun the bolt was installed backward and the spring was on the wrong side of the ram. Now it seems I have the wrong battery connector! I'm guessing he got this battery connector from some other marker or maybe went down to his local electronics store and purchased whatever battery connector he could find thinking it would work. Anyway, that mystery is solved now...

I plugged in the molex connector and connected the battery contacts in the opposite orientation and all the boards started up fine, even the old board! Now I have three working boards.... . The proper battery connector I ordered from Dangerous Power should arrive in a few days. Thanks for all your help!

Last edited by necb77 : 12-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM #15
CA_Tectonics

Good deal. Glad that problem is solved.

It may have been that the entire molex connector (both sides) were pulled off the board - I've come close to doing this a couple times. If the whole thing comes off, there are just the prongs sticking up on the board. The previous owner probably put the bottom connector piece on backwards.