Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 AM #1
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r

The PBNation Agnostics Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump_Scout
...true agnostics. Make a thread for your beliefs, and that'll be fine.
According to Pump Scout, we're allowed to have an Agnostic thread. So, if you're Agnostic, go ahead and post and I'll add you to the list. If you would like, add "PBNation Agnostic #_" to your signature.

I'm an Agnostic...I kind of figured out that Christianity, which I was born and raised with, was wrong and had many errors, especially in Catholicism and the Bible.

List:
#1 GoldEaglev2
#2 JLausen
#3 noob101
#4 Overbear
#5 HungarianPB
#6 P8ntKid90
#7 Mcpullish920
#8 thehaysta
#9 tonysk83
#10 mynameisjonathon
#11 solrflare
#12 Jugga not
#13 j3emt
#14 RyGy1124

Last edited by GoldEaglev2 : 02-16-2007 at 10:16 AM.
GoldEaglev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2006, 10:25 AM #2
Sankarihauta (Banned)
THE ORIGINAL DOCSHTOR

I don't understand agnosticism. Someone explain it to me.
Sankarihauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 AM #3
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

I guess I'm agnostic.

Add me.

And agnosticism is when you think there is no way to prove whether there is or isn't a god.

There are various forms of agnosticism, but thats the basic definition. I, for instance, am a Theist Agnostic. I believe in a god, but I just don't think any of the other deitys are right, and that there is no way to really tell anything about any god/gods.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:11 PM #4
noob101
*Insert catch phrase*

Agnostic #3.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:34 AM #5
LGB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankarihauta View Post
I don't understand agnosticism. Someone explain it to me.
In my best words, you aren't siding with either Atheism or any other religion, but you are open to being proved that either is right with enough facts. You aren't denying that there is a god, nor are you saying there is.
LGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:38 PM #6
noob101
*Insert catch phrase*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Agnosticism (from the Greek a, meaning "without" and gnosis, "knowledge", translating to unknowable) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly theological claims regarding metaphysics, afterlife or the existence of God, god(s), or deities — is unknown or (possibly) inherently unknowable. Some agnostics take a stronger view that the concept of a deity is incoherent, thus meaningless and irrelevant to life. The term is used to describe those who are unconvinced or noncommittal about the existence of deities as well as about other matters of religion. Early Christian church leaders used the Greek word gnosis (knowledge) to describe "spiritual knowledge". "Agnostic" was introduced by Thomas Henry Huxley in 1869 to describe his philosophy. Agnosticism is not to be confused with religious views opposing the doctrine of gnosis and Gnosticism— these are religious concepts that are not generally related to agnosticism.

Agnostics claim either that it is not possible to have absolute or certain knowledge or, alternatively, that while certainty may be possible, they personally have no knowledge. Agnosticism in both cases involves some form of skepticism. Demographic research services[1] may use combinations of agnostic, atheist, and secular to describe non-religious people.

Agnostics are normally listed alongside categories such as atheist and non-religious, although this may be misleading. For example, prominent agnostics such as Aleksander Kwaśniewski and Michelle Bachelet have been notably Christian in their outlook.
the wikipedia definition of agnostic.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:01 PM #7
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I supose, if I must label myself, I am an agnostic, perhaps a bit of a extremest of the agnostic views, however its about as close to a word for my views as there is.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:08 PM #8
HungarianPB
hitler88 is sexy

I would consider myself agnostic

i beleive in god,

and i beleive that Jesus and Mohammed and Abraham were great men, but not deities

I too, saw the absolute faults with christianity. The hipocracy in the church is outrageous. They are based on a stone of What Would Jesus do, yet preists mollest little boys, gay people are shunned etc.

"Originally posted by olio;27438259: People like you just don't deserve to live at all. You are a skid-mark on the white underwear of society, you should consider ending your existance today."

żGot Doubt?"
PBNation Agnostic #5
HungarianPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:20 PM #9
noob101
*Insert catch phrase*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
I supose, if I must label myself, I am an agnostic, perhaps a bit of a extremest of the agnostic views, however its about as close to a word for my views as there is.
what are your views?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 AM #10
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen View Post
I guess I'm agnostic.

Add me.

And agnosticism is when you think there is no way to prove whether there is or isn't a god.

There are various forms of agnosticism, but thats the basic definition. I, for instance, am a Theist Agnostic. I believe in a god, but I just don't think any of the other deitys are right, and that there is no way to really tell anything about any god/gods.
Sounds more like Deism.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 AM #11
P8ntKid90
Pug Life

Sign me up

"Originally posted by tKoP: wow... I hope you get raped by samoans"
P8ntKid90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:53 AM #12
Mcpullish920
Pump

I'm in, been agnostic most of my life.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:11 AM #13
Overbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob101 View Post
what are your views?
that gets a little sticky. Given the current views in the world, I guess its best decribed as reincanation via scientific mathmatical probility. I am not sure I could put it all into words, nor is this thread for it.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Old 01-07-2007, 07:05 AM #14
thehaysta
wheddup

i was raised agnostic, still am, if you could add me that would be great
Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 PM #15
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
I have turned to agnosticism recently(last 2 years) after being completely lost in the hipocracy and overall nonsense of the Catholic Church. I would just sit in Church and look at so many people that are just willing to do whatever they are told, without every really questioning their religion. I think the people that do come to two conclusions when their questions about life and God can't be answered, they either say, well I just need to have faith in God, or am I really just turning a blind eye to what my mind is telling me?

I don't know if there is a God or isn't a God, and frankly, with everything we know I am sure that the God the bible has put forth and the way people talk as if they know what God wants, just flat out disgusts me and I find it completely false.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
tonysk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 PM #16
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Is agnosticism when you generaly speaking, don't think one side is right or wrong? If so I'm in.
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
mynameisjonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:08 PM #17
Overbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
Is agnosticism when you generaly speaking, don't think one side is right or wrong? If so I'm in.
its more... well the best way to sum it up in a few words "agnostics want proof" thats all.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM #18
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Cool sign me up lol.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 01-07-2007, 09:58 PM #19
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
Please, just because you are agnostic doesn't mean that you should just say, "nah, nah, nah, all religion is bad", just like religious people shouldn't say, "Nah, nah, nah, I don't care what proof you have against my religion."

Part of living your life is using your mind, using your mind for difficult questions in life. Part of the reason I have left the Catholic Church is because I felt like it is such a restriction on our minds. No matter what questions I ask, it can be answered by Christianity. The most difficult question of life can be answered if you believe in Christianity, and to me that is, What is the purpose of life? The answer is clear if you are Christian, follow the laws of God, and get to heaven. Instead of doing a lot more searching on this question, you get a one line answer that sums it all up for you. So many things I was told to ignore because it wasn't God's word.

Please if you are going to be agnostic, atleast still question your life and existence, and search for the hard answers even if you will never find them. I believe Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
tonysk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:54 PM #20
solrflare

solrflare is a Supporting Member
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
Number 9.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:55 PM #21
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

d00d im nine your ten.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down