Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM #1
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

My Theory of the Value and Importance of Scenario Paintball

My Theory of the Value and Importance of Scenario Paintball

There has been a lot of discussion recently within the world of scenario paintball. Usually this kind of stuff is of a congratulatory nature when players and teams pat each other on the back for a great game, inspired play, sneaky kills, and all of that. Iíve noticed though that a certain change in the wind and wanted to take the time to post my thoughts.

Iíve asked myself why Iíve been so obsessed with paintball for the last 14 years. If I add up the time, money, and sacrifice spend just so I can run around and shoot people with gelatin capsules, then my actions would qualify me for some sort of substance abuse. It never really occurred to me until the past year though that I am completely addicted and therefore in dire need of what the game gives to me. It has to do with D.N.A. and anthropology.

The history lesson: For over 100,000 years, Homo sapiens, humans, lived in small hunter-gatherer tribes and communities. Life was nomadic, rugged, and unforgiving. Survival meant that the individual depended on the combined efforts of the entire tribe in order to beat the high likelihood of death through starvation or exposure to the elements. In this kind of society, people of all ages had well-defined and established positions within the tribe and community.

Within the hunter bands, young men filled in roles where there speed and endurance could be made use for outmaneuvering herds, the middle-aged guys were the heavy hitters, doing the work of killing the beasts, their strength and power being used. The elders of the tribe had the important role of providing guidance through passing along a lifetime of experience and knowledge. In short, everyone had a place, and all were respected within the community.

Alright, why am I boring you with a history lesson? Itís an analogy for the world of scenario paintball. Look around you at your next game. Count the faces of those who play and you will see a fair representation of these age groups.

Scenario ball may be one of the few sports or social activities open to everyone, from any age, gender, or physical ability.

The need for this environment spans our ancestry pre-settled civilization. The need to belong, to learn, and to impart knowledge is in our blood. How many of us have found a home with strangers of all socio-economic backgrounds, whose only common ground is the love of this game? How many times have we looked forward to a big game not only for the joy of the hunt, but also the joy of fellowship with our friends? What other sport can offer this? Football? Nope, you are sidelined as early as your 30ís in most cases. Golf? Yeah how many young guys want to spend their time hitting a single ball when they could be shooting hundreds of them?

Brethren, our sport is facing some inevitable changes. There is no way to prevent outsiders with no vested interest in our game from dumping loads of marketing dollars into it, there is no way to prevent players from switching teams because of Ďbetter dealsí, etc. But there is a way we can maintain the purity of the game and that is by making individual choices to not get taken up in all of the hoopla. We can also do this by seeing that we are all in a very strange way one large dysfunctional community of family who desperately need this game to remain pure.

What I would like to hear about is what the game means to YOU?
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 PM #2
0dy
Go Go Gadget Flow

your conclusion is pretty much all i read, but it seems to me scenario teams are getting pretty ridiculous about sponsorships every time i go to a game its like who has the most banners its dumb IMO, good post
Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 PM #3
SSBlackAngel (Banned)

You Are absolutely correct. I personally Very much enjoy shooting down Commies
Old 11-01-2006, 05:40 PM #4
PromasterOwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBlackAngel View Post
You Are absolutely correct. I personally Very much enjoy shooting down Commies
grr.... stupid tank your lucky i had no grenades..... i only had a flag

commie n00bnugget
-Stark
Old 11-01-2006, 05:47 PM #5
SSBlackAngel (Banned)

See there is one of my victims right there!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:55 PM #6
PromasterOwnage

ill get your silly tank at stalingrad three squadbusters allllll for you
then

commie n00bnugget
-Stark
Old 11-01-2006, 05:57 PM #7
SSBlackAngel (Banned)

better bring 6 we will have 2 tanks soon working together.,Mowing down Soviets at will
Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 PM #8
da Squid

i hope to find a scepter m203 by stallingrad... a few f bombs just for your tank ss

oops 2 tanks now

Back in black... Lone Heavy gunner/medic

Last edited by da Squid : 11-01-2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 11-01-2006, 06:02 PM #9
SSBlackAngel (Banned)

naa im just messing around the 2nd tank wont be ready till Ion unless i get some unexpected cash this winter. i figure #1 tanks are fun as hell 2 they are effective when used correctly. and 3 if we are going to be the 1st SS Panzer division we should have a few tanks at least.But i hope peope dont typecast us as just tankers we have just as much fun groundpounding.Id really like to see some good Tank on tank action in 07 that would rock.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM #10
krieger67 (Banned)
reverend Barber B. Barber

i wonder if we can get the 6 wheeled light infaltey vehicle working by then. then put me on top of it in the slinkey to mow down the gwm...... no that much awsomenes in one place might blow up skirmish.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 PM #11
BarneyNY
I'm the Purple guy!

Annual Supporting Member
BarneyNY is a Supporting Member
BarneyNY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Good analogy. Funny that I just picked up a sponsor for my Barney Persona. But I can't keep making these trips without help (15 scenarios this year all out of my pocket). I mostly play for fun and to meet people. The meeting and hanging is the best part. Then playing. LOL
I've made a lot of friends and have taught a lot of people.
I remember one time meeting this guy I don't know. Playing with him and working hand signals and taking out a whole bunch of players. It was like we've been playing together for years. He plays for Ambush Alpha and they call him the Professor. LOL

Hope others will post and stop hijacking the thread.
WestPoint 2005 Battle of Bastogne MVT (RT Raiders); 2006 Spring Game VC - MVP; 2008 Battle of Bulge German - Co-MVP; Skirmish 2007 Staligrad Russian - MVP; HiVi 2008 Death Before Dishonor - Sportsmanship; StrategyPlus 2009 WOA - Co-MVP; 2010 Legion - MoFo; 2011 Russian Front - Russian MVP; 2012 Quickshot - Divided Front - MVP; EMR 2013 March Meltdown - MVP
www.bluescrewtv.com; www.emrpaintball.com; www.cousinspaintball.com; www.paintballsportsny.com
Old 11-01-2006, 08:51 PM #12
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

Nicley put Professor. I agree nearly wholheartedly.

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
The thing that makes a man into a professional is the software.
"Here is my personal advice; be a man. Don't come down here expecting **** for free, don't feel it is your right to be treated well, and exercise some freaking integrity."
TSgt B. Murray
Old 11-01-2006, 10:37 PM #13
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyNY View Post
Good analogy. Funny that I just picked up a sponsor for my Barney Persona. But I can't keep making these trips without help (15 scenarios this year all out of my pocket). I mostly play for fun and to meet people. The meeting and hanging is the best part. Then playing. LOL
I've made a lot of friends and have taught a lot of people.
I remember one time meeting this guy I don't know. Playing with him and working hand signals and taking out a whole bunch of players. It was like we've been playing together for years. He plays for Ambush Alpha and they call him the Professor. LOL

Hope others will post and stop hijacking the thread.
yeah I'm not knocking on sponsorship, I'm proud of the ones we have as well.
I'm thinking that in this thread I wanted to see how people got into the game, what their stories are, and what drives them on to keep playing. By the way Barney, you're really the best. It's guys like you, Blue, Rephy, and Wideguy that make the game special.

I've mentioned that I love the game because of the people involved. I think that pretty much sums it up. Where else can I hunt real live humans, shoot them, and then drink with them after a game?

For me Scenario paintball is Valhalla
Old 11-01-2006, 10:39 PM #14
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkc View Post
Nicley put Professor. I agree nearly wholheartedly.
You know Team Ragnorok has my utmost respect as well. I've always liked how you guys play the game.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM #15
starkc
ver d.3.1.0

Thank you. I don't know much about Ambush Alpha, but would love to play spring castle or NJNAM this year with or against yall. At least to get aqquainted and such.

Mister, We Deal in Lead
Team Ragnarok
The thing that makes a man into a professional is the software.
"Here is my personal advice; be a man. Don't come down here expecting **** for free, don't feel it is your right to be treated well, and exercise some freaking integrity."
TSgt B. Murray
Old 11-01-2006, 10:54 PM #16
The Professor331
I just shoot people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkc View Post
Thank you. I don't know much about Ambush Alpha, but would love to play spring castle or NJNAM this year with or against yall. At least to get aqquainted and such.
Absolutely. EMR is our home field so we always play castel conquest. As for the NJNam game, look for up for us since we'll be jumping out of airplanes into that game.

Love to get acquanted with you guys as well. we can swap viking lore.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM #17
JESTERTLS

Good read Professor. Our team is like that. We have guys in their fifties all the way down to teens. Guys that have literly been playing since the game started. It is a real joy to sit down and talk to them.

We have sponsors and I dont see any thing against it. This sport is expensive, and it is nice to have those companies out there willing to contribute something back to the sport and teams that have made them money.

Why I got into scenario ball? Seemed like something good to do with my time. I've made lots of friends and have a great out playing and reffing. Plus what other hobby do you get to shoot people and not have to go to jail.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:49 AM #18
mic49

When I was alot younger I used to go to shooting competitions with my Father. We were both competitive and both very good. The type of shooting we did was then called Combat Shooting. It evolved into the IPSC and became Practical Shooting (politically correct). It was a fun type of shooting you had to crawl through tunnels, over 6 foot walls, hang from a rope and shoot at moving targets. I would qualify to go to the National Championships each year and my Dad would come with me and shoot as a guest. I remember how much that meant to me.
So now I have two boys of my own. We have several acres and have a speedball type field set up on one of the acres and a woodsball type field set up on about four acres with forts and bunkers. My sons lean toward the scenario type of play. Infact it is the only type of paintball we play outside of our own field.
We will load up the motorhome and get as many of our local team as we can to come along. We have named our field Asylum Paintball and the team Mental Illness. Anyway, we try and go to four large multi day events each year. There is fun in the hanging around during the breaks in the action and the action on the field as well.
So what does Scenario Paintball mean to me.
I hope it means the type of memories I have for my boys. It is a thing that I can do with my boys. It is a place where we can create havoc and chaos with out my wife having to bail us out. But most of all it is doing somethin that my boys enjoy and doing it with them.
Oh, hey, I am a shooter, getting to pop off a few round and getting to shot someone does not hurt at all. I am used to shooting a less than one inch group at 50 meters with my colt so this type of shooting takes some getting used to, but my boys love it so it is still shooting.
What more reason do you need than that.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 AM #19
arh
panda whisperer

arh is a Supporting Member
Great read! For me, scenario paintball is a vicious cycle. I get curious about a new field, I go there and meet awesome people, then those awesome people tell me about a game at a new field, so we go there... etc. The more I play, the more I feel a part of this massive tribe.

To a certain extent, playing paintball removes those identities that can define us in everyday life. When the goggles go on, it doesn't matter if your male or female, what race you are, what car you drive, how old you are, etc. What matters is your performance on the field. It's sad but we are still bombarded with unfair gender stereotypes in all aspects of life; on the field we don't have to bring them with us (though I wish some mags and manufacturers would limit their use of girls in bikinis and show more ladies really dressed to kill )
Old 11-02-2006, 09:23 AM #20
stoudty33
paintin' faces since 1997

While most of you play for the fun and camaraderie after the game, i play to win! I cant help it, i am a competitive person that hates to lose at ANYTHING I do. I must be considering i must be the only paintball player that works out and does training to better my game. Don't get me wrong, I want to win, but never have I nor will I have a hissy fit if i do not. And yes, it is awesome to see how people from all different types of backgrounds come together to play our great sport and mingle after the game, i admit i do it to!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 AM #21
kjjm4
Liberty or Death

kjjm4 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I think most of us want to win. The issue, especially when money/sponsorships enter the mix, is when people are will to do nasty, dirty things to win. When you hate the other guy for beating you instead of respecting him, competition has gone too far, and it isn't fun anymore.

I go to scenario games because I like to play paintball, first and foremost. I also like the atmosphere better, it's more laid back, more casual, and more fun. That's why I don't want to see scenarios turned into professional level events, the more serious the competition gets, the less people are worried about having fun, and the more they decide winning at all costs is worth it.
ďA strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson