PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-17-2006, 11:01 PM #1
Charles666
cwatididthar?

To christians.

I didn't see this being clearly debated sine I read religion forum. So here's my question: Why did the whole religion changed their teaching about the bible? I mean, when my parents were young, they were taught that all the words of the bible were true story and is really what happened. Now, when you ask a silly question about the bible, you are only told it is a metaphor and nothing else. Did they change their mind about the bible? Is it because they see science is proving some of the stories wrong?

Thank you for reading and replying.

PS: Sorry for my poor English, I'm doing the best i can.
PPS: That 666 in my nickname doesn't mean anything.

ST:You're not one of us.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2006, 11:13 PM #2
coops1387
balling for christ

can you give some examples

aim coops1387
Old 12-17-2006, 11:14 PM #3
Charles666
cwatididthar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops1387 View Post
can you give some examples
Adam and eve.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:14 PM #4
Aggressive Bill

You may get a bunch of answers on that one. I think a big reason is lack of understanding. People change things to what makes sense to them. When they don't understand it, they make something to where they can finally say..okay..I'm fine with this.

The bible is more literal than a metaphor. People make things out in the bible to be a metaphor that was actually literal. Then its easier for them to explain. There are metaphors, but not nearly as many as some would say. Science hasn't proven anything wrong. There are arguments as to certain things in the bible, but there's tons of evidence supporting what the bible says.

A lot of the problems and arguments stem from a lack of understanding on how the bible works and was written. Once you understand that stuff more, you can begin to see more things and the problems with the bible fall away. So its not that Christianity has changed its views, but some of the people within it have lessened their grasp of the bible.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:14 PM #5
PBingFreak
+777,24-7+

has been a member for 10 years
It's mainly a growth in knowledge. More and more people are digging deeper into the Bible trying to figure out all they can, and not just scratching the surface. It's the pursuit of a better understanding and how to relate it more eaily with the world today.
"Originally posted by MrTerddddd "Hilary Duff is pretty sick too, imo. She shouldn't have sold out and went mainstream though. Should have stuck with her hXc roots."
Old 12-17-2006, 11:17 PM #6
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Bill View Post
A lot of the problems and arguments stem from a lack of understanding on how the bible works and was written.
Bingo. Except one problem. No one really knows how the Bible works or how it was written. Essentially no one can declare a defined interpretation of the Bible. It's always debated and speculated. No agreement, no reconciliation, no one doctrine, no faith.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:18 PM #7
Charles666
cwatididthar?

Quote:
Science hasn't proven anything wrong. There are arguments as to certain things in the bible, but there's tons of evidence supporting what the bible says.
Evolution isn't proven but think about it, it's much more plausible.
Can I get at least 1 clear evidence please?

Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 PM #8
Aggressive Bill

Sure people know. You have to have an overview to understand it. First you examine the immediate text of what you are reading. Check before and after that text. Then check to that particular book. Then to the whole bible. Its not hard at all.

The main themes are agreed upon. Its the lil things that are debated on, and many of those arguments fall away when you study the original languages.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 PM #9
PBingFreak
+777,24-7+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles666 View Post
How exactly do you see it as being more plausible?
"Originally posted by MrTerddddd "Hilary Duff is pretty sick too, imo. She shouldn't have sold out and went mainstream though. Should have stuck with her hXc roots."
Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 PM #10
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBingFreak View Post
How exactly do you see it as being more plausible?
Empirical evidence?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:26 PM #11
Aggressive Bill

Quote:
I'll have to dig the book out and give you specifics, but take for example the story of Moses and the Exodus. The general maps that many people use are actually off a bit when finding the mountain that Moses went to for the 10 commandments and the whole burning bush. The actual mountain is to the south, I believe, and heavily guarded. Up on that mountain is a spot that is burned black by fire. Testing shows it not to be recent fires, but an intense fire from long ago. No other spot like that is found in the area. And it happens to be on that mountain that the bible mentions. Below the mountain there are pillars toppled that match what the bible describes as alters and holding pens for the animals. And not too far off of that is a rock that stands alone in features. Its been hollowed out by water. Its not wind, but water erosion. No other rock in that area has any evidence what-so-ever of that. This is believed to be the rock that Moses struck and water came out of it. And its all where the bible said it would be. Its pretty neat stuff.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:30 PM #12
agentdowell
It is inevitable!

agentdowell is a Supporting Member
^You've got to be kidding me.
"Only thing knowledge I have gained from this thread is that agentdowell is kicking everyones ***."
- tonysk83
"BYAHHHH!!! Agentdowell owns this thread now!"
- I love Impulses
Look past the flesh. Look through the soft gelatin of these dull cow eyes and see your enemy.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 PM #13
Charles666
cwatididthar?

Quote:
The actual mountain is to the south, I believe, and heavily guarded. Up on that mountain is a spot that is burned black by fire. Testing shows it not to be recent fires, but an intense fire from long ago. No other spot like that is found in the area. And it happens to be on that mountain that the bible mentions. Below the mountain there are pillars toppled that match what the bible describes as alters and holding pens for the animals. And not too far off of that is a rock that stands alone in features. Its been hollowed out by water. Its not wind, but water erosion. No other rock in that area has any evidence what-so-ever of that. This is believed to be the rock that Moses struck and water came out of it. And its all where the bible said it would be. Its pretty neat stuff.
Interesting... source?

Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 PM #14
PBingFreak
+777,24-7+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
Empirical evidence?
Thats simply sense and visual evidence, and most of it leaves lose ends. Such as why no more apes have evolved into humans.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:55 PM #15
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBingFreak View Post
Thats simply sense and visual evidence, and most of it leaves lose ends. Such as why no more apes have evolved into humans.
Read. About. Evolution. Please?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:51 AM #16
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
I didn't see this being clearly debated sine I read religion forum. So here's my question: Why did the whole religion changed their teaching about the bible? I mean, when my parents were young, they were taught that all the words of the bible were true story and is really what happened. Now, when you ask a silly question about the bible, you are only told it is a metaphor and nothing else. Did they change their mind about the bible? Is it because they see science is proving some of the stories wrong?

Thank you for reading and replying.

PS: Sorry for my poor English, I'm doing the best i can.
PPS: That 666 in my nickname doesn't mean anything.
This has been kind of addressed in several threads, actually. I will say what I believe and then say that many Christians believe at least in part the same way.

The Bible is true and is literal, except when it isn't. sound like a loop hole? nope. the references within the texts and the genre of the manuscripts themselves leave little or no doubt when it is talking about metaphor and analogies.

Jesus specified when he was talking in parable (analogy), as example. The creation and Adam and Ever are not mentioned nor is there context at all to lead me/us to believe that it is a metaphor. I consider it a truth.

another example is the symbology of the apocalypse genre and prophecies within the Bible. The book of revelation and the Book of Daniel, are good examples of that kind of genre. Remember that the Bible isn't just "a book", it is comprised of many "books" and a consolidated work.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 12-18-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 AM #17
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
This has been kind of addressed in several threads, actually. I will say what I believe and then say that many Christians believe at least in part the same way.

The Bible is true and is literal, except when it isn't. sound like a loop hole? nope. the references within the tests and the genre of the manuscripts themselves leave little or no doubt when it is talking about metaphor and analogies.

Jesus specifiec when he was talking in parable (analogy), as example. The creation and Adam and Ever are not mentioned nor is there context at all to lead me/us to believe that it is a metaphor. I consider it a truth.

another example is the symbology of the apocalypse genre and prophecies within the Bible. The book of revelation and the Book of Daniel, are good examples of that kind of genre. Remember that the Bible isn't just "a book", it is comprised of many "books" and a consolidated work.
All good.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-18-2006, 10:05 AM #18
Aggressive Bill

http://www.baseinstitute.org/photos_sinai.html

Here's some of the photos from some of the explorations. There's also some Red Sea stuff in there. Now this guy has been in some controversy as to his means of getting the evidence. He's stepped on some toes, but his findings are cool.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:02 PM #19
HammerTime
Black Wall Street

No...some, if not most, Christians take the Bible very literally.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:16 PM #20
SuperSupra619 (Banned)

taking a religious book written in ancient times and relating it to the modern times of today is impossible.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 PM #21
Vismund Cygnus (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
No...some, if not most, Christians take the Bible very literally.
Catholics, according to my theology teacher, take the bible very metaphorically.

EDIT: Shes a Catholic theology teacher BTW.