Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-19-2003, 12:18 AM #1
pballraven

pballraven is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Chicago Open?

Ive heard rumors that the chicago open will not be played at badlandz this year, that it will be played in a public area just like HB. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Last edited by pballraven : 02-19-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2003, 12:34 AM #2
taperunner
Beans

taperunner is a founding member
taperunner owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
taperunner plays in the APPA D5 division
I think the PSP is at badlandz but i'm not sure about NPPL S7
Old 02-19-2003, 12:46 AM #3
IchBinKaseBrot
Oscar Whiskey

IchBinKaseBrot is a Supporting Member
Before PSP redid their website there was speculation that the event in Chicago would not be at Badlandz. NPPL is not yet announced.

Auburn Tigers
Portsmouth FC

Collegeandmagnolia.com - Corner of Auburn & the Internet
لا يوجد سلام على أبواب
Old 02-19-2003, 12:48 AM #4
pballraven

ok so we have clarified it wont be at badlandz. i want to know where it will be. i'll bet some fairground or something
Old 02-19-2003, 01:02 AM #5
IchBinKaseBrot
Oscar Whiskey

IchBinKaseBrot is a Supporting Member
Don't count on it not being at Badlandz, the PSP is still looking for a location. You never know, they may end up holding it there anyways, but I do know they are looking for another place, keeping their options open. They are now probably trying to follow suit with the NPPL and get it to Chicago as close as possible. I do remember someone asking about this on their former website and someone with the league saying it was more than likely not going to be at Badlandz and therein lies the problem. That someone could and could not have been with the PSP. Don't worry, that event is still 4 months away which means registration wont' be for another 2 to 3. Paitence grasshopper, paitence.

Auburn Tigers
Portsmouth FC

Collegeandmagnolia.com - Corner of Auburn & the Internet
لا يوجد سلام على أبواب
Old 02-19-2003, 01:05 AM #6
pballraven

hey man dont use your movie lines on me bro haha....
anyway, it still would be nice to know where it will be regardless when it is
Old 02-19-2003, 06:40 AM #7
Booya39
STORK

Booya39 is a Supporting Member
Booya39 is a founding member
Booya39 is a Professional paintball player
Then again Badlandz is Renick's field. And since Renick is 1/5th of the PSP, it would make sense to have it at Badlandz.

but there isn't any grass, hmmmm

If you think school is hard, try being stupid.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:24 AM #8
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

C]-[iLDe is a Supporting Member
Badlands is the best, most versatile and diverse field in the midwest, it wouldn't make sense to NOT have the event there.

Having difficulty deciphering my extensive vocabulary? Click HERE
Old 02-19-2003, 12:16 PM #9
pballraven

Quote:
Originally posted by Booya39
Then again Badlandz is Renick's field. And since Renick is 1/5th of the PSP, it would make sense to have it at Badlandz.

but there isn't any grass, hmmmm
no, then it would make sense that it is NOT at badlandz because the Chicago open is an nppl event, not PSP
Old 02-19-2003, 12:36 PM #10
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

Quote:
Originally posted by pballraven
no, then it would make sense that it is NOT at badlandz because the Chicago open is an nppl event, not PSP
Chicago Open is a PSP (10-man) Event, and has ALWAYS been. Chicago Super 7 will be an NPPL event.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:42 PM #11
taperunner
Beans

They each have their own little chicago open but who knows where either will be. I think it would be cool as hell if they had one of em in grant park. Lush grass and millions of people could see it. But I doubt the city would let them. WOrth a try though.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:54 PM #12
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

Quote:
Originally posted by taperunner
...I think it would be cool as hell if they had one of em in grant park. Lush grass and millions of people could see it. But I doubt the city would let them. WOrth a try though.
WOW that would be REALLY cool! Can u imagine the cleanup though? And the stopped traffic on LSD and the potential cars getting hit by paint? LOL it would be SO chaotic. Still youre right, its a great idea.

I think what you have when you actually get INTO Chicago is a lack of space. Off the top of my head i can't think of anywhere within city limits with enough space to put up 5 or 6 fields, plus vendor areas, plus easy access to some nice commercial area. Too bad soldier field is still under construction, that would be a GREAT place to host it.

Old 02-19-2003, 01:13 PM #13
IanR
Shoot.Kill.Win.

What about that stadium that da bears had to play most of thier games in last season...some college around the city limits wasn't it??

Slowly getting back into paintball...
Old 02-19-2003, 01:17 PM #14
Emmit

that was in Champaigne....and if I remember correctly that wasn't really anywhere near Chicago......but I'm not from up there so what do I know?????
Old 02-19-2003, 01:18 PM #15
pballraven

twas is champagne, University of Illinois field
Old 02-19-2003, 01:21 PM #16
Tex
Fat City Playa'

Lane is looking at getting the event out to the public eye. We need to bring paintball TO the public, rather the public TO paintball. He's doing just that. PSP Chicago has a 95% chance of NOT being held at Badlandz, infact I firmly believe from what I've been told and have heard, that it will in fact not be held there. They are lookin at holding it at complexs such as parks, and fair grounds, and expo centers.

Granted it would be easier to just play at Ren's place. However, the general public won't know where it is, what it's about or anything. If anything people showing up would attend because they have links in some way to someone that plays paintball. Getting those people UNAWARE of paintball is the goal, and getting out of Ren's back yard is what has to be done.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:41 PM #17
JPG

From what I've heard, part of the reason is that they wanted to get away from hyperball where home teams can have an advantage(there's only so many ways that the fields can be moved around) and keep it all airball. The badlandz does have room for a few airball fields, but not enough to hold an event on. The rest of the reason being what Tex just said above ...

jason
Old 02-19-2003, 02:05 PM #18
taperunner
Beans

Yeh that is true. But as far as chicago goes, they do hold the taste of chicago in grant park. And hell, LSD is closed or messed up half the time anyway. Your right though, i don't think chicago would go for it, but in reality, why not. They have the taste there, blues fest, concerts at the band shell, they've shown movies on huge freaking screens. I'm sure they could meet the capacity and such. The biggest thing would be paint that hit cars and what not. I heard at S7 they made shorter bunkers and such to eliminate that. Maybe thats an idea. This would be an easy place to hold an event, but i'm not sure it would draw a crowd. It would need advertising. I'm talking about McCormick place. That place is so huge. I've heard you could get like 100 jumbo jets wing to wing in there. It's right off the expressway downtown. Only problem is people wouldn't see it unless it was advertised and such. I don't know if it would get a good draw there.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:30 PM #19
Tantrum3
Crabby Patty

yeah McCormick place would be cool but the only problem is that 1. it is inside and the weather is always nice in june and i for one would like the play outside, 2. it would be harder for the public to get too since it is inside and if you did advertise in the new paper it would have to be run in there for weeks to be able to reach a decent sized crowd and 3. it would cost a buttload to rent out their showrooms for that amount of days.....just my thoughts, grant park would be fun as hell though but i don't think that'll happen
-The Family Guy
Old 02-19-2003, 03:42 PM #20
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

Wherever they DO end up having it, chances are that it wont be anywhere near Chicago city limits, unfortunately.

Old 02-19-2003, 03:57 PM #21
bladerunner
R.I.P. Towlie

Just like you guys, I think Grant Park would be a great place to have either PSP or Super 7. However, not only do you have to be concerned with paintballs hitting cars on Lake Shore Drive, but there is not much parking available...unless they close down Columbus Drive. Also, just like in Huntington Beach, the law on "shooting paintballs" would have to be changed.

McCormick Place is indoor...enough said!!

Champaign (where the Bears played last season) is 2 1/2 hours away.

The only places I can think of are in the suburbs. Such as North Central College in Naperville...the have a big stadium complex.