Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 PM #22
Mps2216
Control Yourself

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Bill View Post
I get what you are saying, but look at many video games out there. There's religion all over games. Sometimes its just demons. Sometimes angels. Some games involve gods. The spiritual aspect is found all over many games.

Personally, I thought the game looked a bit dumb. I saw the demo. It just looked kinda stupid, but that's the way the games go sometimes.
But is the purpose of these games which contain demons and angels aimed to propagate Christianity or any other religion? No, while Left Behind: Eternal Forces does. That is the only problem I have with it.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM #23
Aggressive Bill

They are coming from a Christian background yes. I get you on that point. However, people don't have to buy it. If they do, they know what they are getting.

Its not really all that different than a game propagating any message. Some sell sex. Some beatin' the crap out of people for what you want. Personally, its annoying that so many games sell sex. It all depends on what kind of message you are okay with and what kind you are not.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 PM #24
SuperSupra619 (Banned)
Celebrate Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
wait a minute. are you saying it is any worse than any of the other violent and law-disobeying games out there? why not talk about games that spread stealing cars, or running over people, or other violent anti-social acts. just because it is a "Christian" game, it has to be picked out as "horrible"? I suppose when the "conservatives" pick out the other violent games and anti-social games as teaching/spreading something you same folks want to be quick to defend those games?

not saying you do or don't, but come on, lets at least use the same logic.

funny, if this was a game about islam, people would be screaming there lungs out "OMG LIKEZ ISLAM IS BAD!!!!", but since its about Christianity, everyone thinks its ok. I love double standards
Old 12-14-2006, 09:26 PM #25
NCNC (Banned)
YTcracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSupra619 View Post
funny, if this was a game about islam, people would be screaming there lungs out "OMG LIKEZ ISLAM IS BAD!!!!", but since its about Christianity, everyone thinks its ok. I love double standards
Imagine the outcry if this were a game about Satanists knocking off christians cause they would not convert...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:27 PM #26
SuperSupra619 (Banned)
Celebrate Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNC View Post
Imagine the outcry if this were a game about Satanists knocking off christians cause they would not convert...
true, another double standard
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM #27
Aggressive Bill

Double standards? I think you guys are just making this a huge deal because its Christian. I have a feeling that no matter what the content, as long as it is Christian, you would make fun if it.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 AM #28
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
But is the purpose of these games which contain demons and angels aimed to propagate Christianity or any other religion? No, while Left Behind: Eternal Forces does. That is the only problem I have with it.
Whats the problem though? It's not like they're tricking you into buying the game and then hitting you with Christianity. That would be worth complaining about. They're being more than upfront about this letting people know what it's all about.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2006, 08:28 AM #29
Devi1s Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
Whats the problem though? It's not like they're tricking you into buying the game and then hitting you with Christianity. That would be worth complaining about. They're being more than upfront about this letting people know what it's all about.

Yeah but its the fact that they are spreading a bad message...to either convert or kill all those who think differently
Old 12-15-2006, 08:31 AM #30
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi1s Night View Post
Yeah but its the fact that they are spreading a bad message...to either convert or kill all those who think differently
So your problem is with the message then? Do you feel the same way about GTA and other games like it?

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2006, 08:36 AM #31
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
once again, you make wide and broad generalizations that are just not true.
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 AM #32
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
true, another double standard
baybe an outcry by some, but not all. and yes, unfortunately a double standard. but you would NOT find me and many others that I know of in that group! It's just a game.

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 AM #33
Devi1s Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
So your problem is with the message then? Do you feel the same way about GTA and other games like it?
personally I used to like playing GTA, but I think that far too many kids who do play these games do not understand that they are supposed to be pure fiction...so yes I have a problem with GTA too.

Do you agree with the message to convert or kill all people different than you?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:47 AM #34
Devi1s Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
once again, you make wide and broad generalizations that are just not true.
Lets see.... normally games like GTA are protested by the religious right...but now that we have a game that supports their religion they dont say a word...what a suprise. You can't honestly say that if this game supported Islamic extremests converting or killing the rest of the world that people still wouldn't mind, because I know the conservatives would be all over it
Old 12-15-2006, 09:52 AM #35
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
personally I used to like playing GTA, but I think that far too many kids who do play these games do not understand that they are supposed to be pure fiction...so yes I have a problem with GTA too.

Do you agree with the message to convert or kill all people different than you?
No, I hate the whole concept of this game. I'm comfortable with the label of conservative evangelical Christian so you can know where I'm coming from. This game would be no big deal if it didn't have 'christian' themes. And that's unfortunate because there's very little that's Christian about it.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM #36
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Lets see.... normally games like GTA are protested by the religious right...but now that we have a game that supports their religion they dont say a word...what a suprise. You can't honestly say that if this game supported Islamic extremests converting or killing the rest of the world that people still wouldn't mind, because I know the conservatives would be all over it
Oh, trust me they're saying some words. There are a lot of Christians opposed to this game.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 AM #37
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
maybe they would. I (and others I know) would not. the point I was trying to make several times is that general and braod brush strokes aren't accurate, especially here in this forum. I am a conservative, and wouldn't have a problem. I probably wouldn't buy it, but then I won't be buying this left behind game either. if the descriptions said some, or even many, that is one thing, but when it is about "everyone" or general use of "conservative", leading people to believe that is all conservatives, that is where I disagree.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:48 AM #38
Eulogy (Banned)
batter

The fanatics have moved from the door-to-door and onto my playstation.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:49 AM #39
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
The fanatics have moved from the door-to-door and onto my playstation.
Don't worry. They won't move into your Playstation uninvited.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 PM #40
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Quote:
Is that not the history of christianity?
no its not, now hurry off and go educate yourself

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 12-15-2006, 04:34 PM #41
NCNC (Banned)
YTcracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann playa View Post
no its not, now hurry off and go educate yourself
Guess you missed all of the "holy" wars then. Maybe you can read up on it.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:36 PM #42
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Quote:
Guess you missed all of the "holy" wars then. Maybe you can read up on it.
if im not mistaken the werent killing them to convert them which is completely ironic

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."