PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-18-2003, 12:20 PM #1
MindBullets

has been a member for 10 years
Talking Most Accurate....

Hey folks, new to the sport, but looking to buy a middle of the road sniper gun. I was wondering what type of gun makes the most effective sniper for both accuracy, distance and noise. I'm looking for people with experience in this to guide me
I'm open to any type of gun, be in semi-auto, pump or what have you. So please be specific with brand/type and settup if you can.
Thnx again,
Mind
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2003, 02:04 PM #2
TheLitt

Well welcome to paintball, there a few things you should know.

"Sniping" in a military sense does not apply to paintball. With the inconsistancies of a paintball as a projectile, it is very hard to "snipe" someone.

One Marker will not shoot farther than another, before each game everyone chronos to make sure that they are all shooting at the same speed. However, you can buy specific barrels, like the Tippmann Flatline. Which puts a backspin on the ball and gives it more range.

If you are looking for consistancy and accuracy, I'd look into a multi-bore barrel system, like a freak system. These allow you to match the size of the barrel to the size of the specific brand/size of paintball you are using that day.

If you want to go with the sniper and range. I'd suggest a Tippmann M98 Custom with a Flatline to begin with. Overall a Tippmann or a Spyder is a good marker to get started off with. Again, you cannot "snipe" in the traditional sense, but if you want to learn how to be more (for lack of a better term) ninja like, search around, there are tips on how to keep quite and how to keep people from knowing where you are.

-Litt
Old 02-18-2003, 04:20 PM #3
automagsrule
LOIC

hey, welcome to the sport. some things to remember:

1. no paintball gun will have longer range than another unless an out side force is prest (like the backspin a flatline puts on)

2. two guns with the same barrel and paint will have pretty much the same accuracy.

3. quiet guns rarely give someone the advantage because no paintball guns are so quiet your cant hear them and still be withn shooting range. You can, however, make it so loud that the echo makes it impossible to trace where the shot came from.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 02-18-2003, 07:12 PM #4
byoung4now
UnHoly Revenge

byoung4now is a Supporting Member
byoung4now owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally posted by automagsrule
hey, welcome to the sport. some things to remember:

1. no paintball gun will have longer range than another unless an out side force is prest (like the backspin a flatline puts on)

2. two guns with the same barrel and paint will have pretty much the same accuracy.

3. quiet guns rarely give someone the advantage because no paintball guns are so quiet your cant hear them and still be withn shooting range. You can, however, make it so loud that the echo makes it impossible to trace where the shot came from.
If I took a tippmann 68 special which has a good amount of kick to it and a fairly stiff trigger pull and shot that next to my excalibur which has virtually no kick and a hair trigger. They will not have the same accuracy if they are shooting the same paint and use the same barrel. Not even pretty much the same. In a bench mounted vice maybe they would, in a players hands not likely.

You can get a gun so quiet that you really only hear the paint flying by. And that sometimes can buy you a second and third shot at someone before they pull into cover. Maybe not much of an advantage but one most rec player would be willing to have.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:33 PM #5
automagsrule
LOIC

you are asumming user strength now with the kick affects accuracy thing. say mindbullets was fairly strong, or even just learned to compensate for the kick, then the markers would once again have like accuracy.

I don't know about your whole loudness thing, since i dont play rec and often find loud guns cooler than quiet ones, so I'm not even going to start arguing there.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
Old 02-18-2003, 09:54 PM #6
byoung4now
UnHoly Revenge

what man handle the gun is your answer? this eventually throws off heart rate and breathing which in turn effects accuracy. sorry not buying that strength theory. Yes a person in better shape will better compensate better for kick but he also will be better at shooting a gun with less kick in the first place.

I shot a minimag for years and with the stock barrel shooting next to a bunker the thing was so damn loud I could barely hear my team mates trying to communite on the field.

Loud is cool for intimidating the newbs that is about it. when i can be on on the 50 and shooting at the corner player and his man on the other side of the 50 doesn't know I am there because he can't hear me shooting. That is an advantage, because as soon as he tucks in I am going to bunker him big time.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:16 PM #7
sponge008

Tippmann 68 Special?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:29 PM #8
byoung4now
UnHoly Revenge

Quote:
Originally posted by sponge008
Tippmann 68 Special?
Old school hardware before the pro/am, pro/lite, carbine, customs.......
here is a link to a pic
http://gallery.paintballcity.com/sho....php?photo=215

these guns were awesome. they had a tremendous kick it was almost like firing a tommy gun. well not really but it was a lot of fun.

My point was to put a string on target took a lot of practice. With the new electronic guns it is much easier. the difference? kick, consistency, trigger pull length and weight. barrel and paint match is a big part of accuracy in like guns but not the only factors.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:56 PM #9
c|w (Banned)

u don't snipe in paintball k and u should look inot pumps there usually the most accurate gun and more like a "Sniper" rifle
Old 02-20-2003, 10:46 PM #10
LEGITBALLER
Banned

tru

ya hes right
Old 02-20-2003, 10:56 PM #11
liquidshine freak
school is for losers haha

ok well i am going to answer is question unlike anyone else.
get the smart parts shocker with a freak barrel system.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:24 PM #12
BinfordTools

sniper

Although I agree there is no such term as a SNIPER in paintball there is the longest shot out there and its the flatline barrel for the tippy.You would lose a battle in close combat and your accuracy would suffer but youd definately be able to hit targets others would fail to reach.
If you want to be a sniper go into the military,but with gell balls and the way its projected added to outside conditions such as wind and rain youll never be able to just sit on top a hill and pick guys off in random order.
Some guys have these tricked out guns they call sniper rifles with camo and scopes but realize if your busy staring down a scope guys like me are gonna flank you everytime.In paintball Ive never seen a sniper to be feared......And although they may live to the end is it really worth getting shot at by 6 different guys when you find your the sole survivor.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 PM #13
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
the longest shot out there and its the flatline barrel for the tippy
Well, I've been able to "out distance" Flatlines with a Maximizer, and you can get a Maximizer for almost any gun.

The problem with the flatline is there is no way to effectively control the spin speed. But it is possible with the Maximizer, so you can tune it to the FPS limit of your particular field.

Regardless, I would NOT recommend either for a "sniper-type" player. It is well known that these backspin systems DO INCREASE maximum range, but they DECREASE effective range. The paintballs loose stability after about 100 feet and curve up/left/right/down. This is pretty obvious when you compare a non-backspin system to a flatline at the chrono-area.

Backspin systems do give you a flat trajectory for the first 100 feet though, which is very nice for short-range "urban-style" paintball. Especially when you have to shoot through a series of windows without the paintball arcing.

Also, the Tippman 68-special was not inaccurate because of recoil! LOL. It was inaccurate because the barrel was .696, and most paint was .688-.692. When I put on an aftermarket "med-bore" barrel to match my paint, it shot exactly like every other gun.

Anyway, all you need is a good paint/bore match, good regulation, and quality balls for accuracy.
For "silence", don't bother with a silencer. They are no longer legal. Some guns are more quiet then others. Perhaps a epic? With a ported barrel? And a Stab? Thats a good combo.

Nick
Old 02-22-2003, 02:49 AM #14
~68~

i say ditch the whole sniper idea... when u play like a sniper all u are doing is wasting paint and watching ur teamates play...and when ur the last man left its not very fun...i sugest u get eather a cheap pump ( i started out with a new hammer my self ) or a tippmann 98 custom...the better choce would be the pump though because it makes, i feel , a better paintballer. when u acculy have to think about the balls u shoot and take time to reaim between shots it greatly improves ur accuracy...also u dont shoot as much paint that way saving $$$...as for going down the tippmann route all i can say is its a very reliable gun that is easy to maintain ( i still use myne from time to time just fun) anyway thats my 2 cents
Old 02-22-2003, 07:55 AM #15
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

I wouldnt ditch the "sniper" idea totally.
Its still a valid idea for woods ball, and scenerio/big games.

The most important thing is not the gun, but the attitude of the player. Any gun will do, as long as its reliable.

The most important thing is that the player is PATIENT, with good attention for details.

For example, when I play sniper for scenerio games, I examine an area, and look for common routes and lanes. Pick my position, as well as easy escape routes (like a nearby hedge).
Then wait. I DO NOT shoot the first player I see. Thats a waste.
I wait for a large group, and LET THEM PASS ME.
Paintball players have bad habit of never looking behind them.
I know that I can usually get 5-6 players before they regroup for a counterattack...
So, after I get 5-6, I run through my preplanned escape route to another waypoint.

Nick
Old 02-23-2003, 12:22 AM #16
pickle
Foul Weather Patriot !

hp_lovecraft is on the money with this one. Although many military sniping tactics are applicable to paintball, a long range sniper rifle is not one of them.

Flatline barrels are mentioned and are a revolutionary concept in paintball. In case you don't know, flatline barrels basically put a backspin on the paintball causing it stay aloft for longer distances. There are two problems with this though. #1, if the barrel is nor properly aligned the paintball will veer off to one side, especially at longer distances. #2, Even though it stays aloft longer, when it hits its target it is traveling at a much slower speed reducing the likelyhood of a break.

You can make a gun quieter (especially if it is a closed bolt pump) by placing a silencer on it. Check 2 things first though. Local and federal laws regarding paintball silencers. At one point they were federally illegal because the argument was that they could be modified for real firearm use. It has been a long time since I checked on this though.

Some players believe that "snipers" should only play with pumps. I disagree because when you do have those 5 players walk past you and you begin to take them out you need firepower.

Just remember tactics!
Old 02-23-2003, 08:50 AM #17
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Well said-

To add-
Silencers are 100% illegal. They actively stop anyone from selling them, though they don't bother with owners, so you could "build" one, just don't show it off, or brag about it.

I had some fantastic ones in the 80s, but I threw them away once they started cracking down.
The next best solution is a low-pressure gun with a ported barrel.

I used to prefer a pump to a semi. For the simple reason that it helped me stay patient. I was always tempted to jump out and start blasting away.
But, I'll use a semi now. Its nice in those circumstances when your overrun and need to throw some serious paint to escape.

Nick
Old 02-23-2003, 02:20 PM #18
~68~

well i never really though of that as sniping more of a flanking monuver in my mind but it works...the mayne thing i ment about ditching the sniper idea is that most people when trying to snipe, at least at my local field, just stay back and hardly ever advance. besides i allway get more of a rush when i'm up in frount and there are balls wizing over my head... but then again there is a twisted sadisfaction in shoting somone and them never seeing it coming .
Old 02-23-2003, 02:45 PM #19
pickle
Foul Weather Patriot !

I too had some great silencers on my guns in the 80's. They do sell them though now. They call them "barrell extensions." I wish I would have kept mine.
Check out paintballsnipersupplies .com
Old 02-24-2003, 10:33 AM #20
byoung4now
UnHoly Revenge

Quote:
Originally posted by hp_lovecraft

Also, the Tippman 68-special was not inaccurate because of recoil! LOL. It was inaccurate because the barrel was .696, and most paint was .688-.692. When I put on an aftermarket "med-bore" barrel to match my paint, it shot exactly like every other gun.

Nick
I said if you were using the same barrel and the same paint in a excalibur and a 68 special the user would be able to be more accurate with the excalibur because it has less kick and a hair trigger compared to the 68 special which has a good amount of kick and a stiffer trigger?