Cuss words agenst the Christian Bible? - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM #1
sketsket26
0-H-I-0
 
sketsket26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
sketsket26 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sketsket26 supports Team VICIOUS
sketsket26 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sketsket26 supports Empire
Cuss words agenst the Christian Bible?

Are swear words agenst the christian bible? I have not read the whole bible yet so. Words like: ****, ****, ***, etc. And if so why?

[EDIT: Do not avoid the Sware filter. Doing so is a bannable offence. This is your only warning, next time you will be taking a vacation from PbNation - gremlin]

Last edited by gremlin75 : 12-12-2006 at 09:06 PM.
sketsket26 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2006, 08:26 PM #2
Deadheadpballer
Disestablishmentarianist
 
Deadheadpballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 860
you're avoiding the swear filter, but the bible uses terms like *** and ***** to describe donkeys and female dogs, which is where they originated. those swears are relatively recent in history
Deadheadpballer is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:28 PM #3
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
I think the idea behind swear words are slightly ridiculous... But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 PM #4
Deadheadpballer
Disestablishmentarianist
 
Deadheadpballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
I think the idea behind swear words are slightly ridiculous... But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
i agree.
...

but yeah, the idea that a word can be taboo to society simply because it stands for a certain exclamation is rediculous. i can call you a sillyfaced piehead and mean you're a ****faced assclown, those arent swears though
Deadheadpballer is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:32 PM #5
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
As far as I know, taking the Lord's name in vain is the only "swear" that the bible is against. I don't think it claims that swearing is a sin.

Personally, however, I think most swear words are unneeded and immature. There are much better ways to express yourself.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:34 PM #6
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadheadpballer View Post
i agree.
...

but yeah, the idea that a word can be taboo to society simply because it stands for a certain exclamation is rediculous. i can call you a sillyfaced piehead and mean you're a ****faced assclown, those arent swears though
EXACTLY! (Double )

It's so ridiculous because it's all based on the intent of whatever you are saying. I mean... There are three different ways to say(More, I know, just bare with me) "poop" - "Poop" "Crap" and "****" they all have "Different levels" of severity...

WHY? They mean the same thing! It's flat out stupid.
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:34 PM #7
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post

Personally, however, I think most swear words are unneeded and immature. There are much better ways to express yourself.
Clearly the remarks of a societized man.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 PM #8
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
As far as I know, taking the Lord's name in vain is the only "swear" that the bible is against. I don't think it claims that swearing is a sin.

Personally, however, I think most swear words are unneeded and immature. There are much better ways to express yourself.
Oh, I agree with you too. I prefer not to swear, and honestly, in the business situations I've been in, swearing wasn't common place. (In formal settings, obviously)
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:35 PM #9
sketsket26
0-H-I-0
 
sketsket26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
sketsket26 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sketsket26 supports Team VICIOUS
sketsket26 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sketsket26 supports Empire
okay. I didn't think so becuase those words were not around when the Bible was created. So like saying "**** I made a horrbible decesion." is not agenst the Bible.

Last edited by gremlin75 : 12-12-2006 at 09:07 PM.
sketsket26 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:38 PM #10
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
Clearly the remarks of a societized man.
Is this a real word? I did not grow up in America. I couldn't find it in the dictionary?

I assume it means "becoming like society" But I'm not sure.
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:39 PM #11
caseytmev3 (Banned)
 
 
caseytmev3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketsket26 View Post
okay. I didn't think so becuase those words were not around when the Bible was created. So like saying "F*ck I made a horrbible decesion." is not agenst the Bible.


Please stop censoring your self, it is annoying.


Anyway, the most relevant thing Jesus said on the issue:

MAtthew 15

10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

12Then the disciples came to him and asked, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?"

13He replied, "Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14Leave them; they are blind guides.[e] If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

15Peter said, "Explain the parable to us."

16"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. 17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "



I really have no clue how society looked at profanity at the time, and don't see much mentioned.
caseytmev3 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:40 PM #12
Deadheadpballer
Disestablishmentarianist
 
Deadheadpballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Oh, I agree with you too. I prefer not to swear, and honestly, in the business situations I've been in, swearing wasn't common place. (In formal settings, obviously)
i think theres a place for it and theres a place for it not to be. i've got a mouth like a sailor during hockey practices and such, but under normal circumstances im as polite as possible
Deadheadpballer is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:45 PM #13
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
Yes, I don't disagree with that either. As long as the person knows the time.
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 PM #14
sketsket26
0-H-I-0
 
sketsket26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio
sketsket26 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sketsket26 supports Team VICIOUS
sketsket26 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sketsket26 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadheadpballer View Post
i think theres a place for it and theres a place for it not to be. i've got a mouth like a sailor during hockey practices and such, but under normal circumstances im as polite as possible
qft. I only use them where the people are confortable, and the enviroment is right.
sketsket26 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 PM #15
elTwitcho
***** ***** *****
 
elTwitcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Toronto Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Yes, I don't disagree with that either. As long as the person knows the time.
Quarter to ten, mother****er
__________________
ST:Photo - Trust me, you made a wrong turn

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:49 PM #16
fuhrer325 (Banned)
I'm cooler than you
 
fuhrer325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: West Side (L), Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Quarter to ten, mother****er
I really cracked up... I'm not sure why... haha.
fuhrer325 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM #17
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Quarter to ten, mother****er
Psshhh... It's a quarter to nine, genius...

By the way, I spit coke on my keyboard when I read that post.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:52 PM #18
Aggressive Bill
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern IL
Casey said it all up above. Its all motive of the heart.
Aggressive Bill is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM #19
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post
Is this a real word? I did not grow up in America. I couldn't find it in the dictionary?

I assume it means "becoming like society" But I'm not sure.
It's not recognized by the English dictionary, but it is a word. Its connotations are pretty obvious, as you pointed out.

My personal definition of "societized":
Altered intellectually or emotionally by the principles and ideals which are typical to a society.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM #20
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Please note, this is going to be one of my "book" posts some have called them lectures:

Cussing:
cursing in the Koine (Greek) is in fact in reference to placing a “negative blessing”, or a “magical” negative statement. – Katara. Which is actually from a Hebrew word found in the Septuagint (Old Testament) – effectively qalalah – a vile uttering, or vilification (directly relating to a proclamation of sin) – also referred to as a “cussing-out”

So, yea, that particular scripture could be out of context or maybe not, depending on what level we would like to take it back to the “origin” as is noted in previous posts.

Taking Webster’s approach, a cussword is derogatory or a word of abuse. This could mean many things. As far as Colossians goes, the word usage there is actually more along the lines of what Webster says:

NASB – Col 3:8 - But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. – Abusive speech.

In James the scripture there should be taken in context as with everywhere else, especially when we use it in this format. Essentially the chalinagogeo (Koine) tongue is to be restrained or guided. From what is asked, and is answered in that context: referencing being a “doer” of the Word, and not just a hearer.

It goes on in that scripture (and quite in the flow and context), to give a simple example of visiting orphans and widows (which was a problem of the church of the day, widows and orphans were effectively shunned). All the while “doing”, the Word, one is to stay and keep staying “unstained” from the world/kosmos (systems of the world, not the world itself).

I absolutely agree that the society plays a large role (if not the only one) in deciding what is a cussing word, or not. In fact, to the original point, and I agree, even regional and local socio-economic upbringing can make these things issues (or not) as well. There are some words in the Bible (depending on translation) that some would consider “cussing”, strictly based on the world-view of the word.

As example; having been on and around the farm while growing up, there was a lot of cow-pies/excrement lying about. The phraseology used by parents and children is s--t. Common, and descriptive, no matter its origin, “everyone” knows what it meant.

However, if that same word was used (using my same example above growing up on and around farms and farming) in a derogatory or abusive tone, we got our mouths washed out with soap.

Contradicting teaching? Not really. I think you can see the point though that the word itself isn’t really the issue, but how it is used and it’s particular expression and context. Since we know that the systems of this world change and that what is socially right and wrong as far as word usage goes, changes, I believe that this “kosmos” is where I find the Biblical backing for “filthy communication”, or “bridling the tongue”.

I will not argue semantics as far as word origins are concerned, but what is the context and connotation they are expressed, that is then, at least for me, the issue.

So with the “world” (kosmos) telling us what words have what meanings, it doesn’t really matter what the origin is, unless you are talking to someone that knows that origin, and in fact, the speaker needs to know that they know it as well, in order to maintain that continuity.

Thus, a person familiar with the farm, like myself for example might have to restrain his tongue when speaking about cow-pies to a person or group of people, especially since there is probably no way I know that they know the original definitions or even if they understand it the same way I do. So that terminology is refrained, even if in reference to the biological.

And after doing that long enough, even when around a person or group that I do know understand the way I do, I still refrain, since there are other more clearly understood words that can be used, and I want to remain unstained from the kosmos, while retaining control of my tongue.

Obviously when used in a negative, abusive or belligerent fashion, it is considered a “bad” thing, and thus the Webster definition. So if I pound my thumb with a hammer, do I cuss, or believe that a “Christian” should be allowed to cuss? – No, because it is derogatory, and negative outburst.

So for me, it comes down to personal choice, and wisdom (applied knowledge). Do I think it is wrong to “cuss” – yes, but the specific word is a moot point, getting a “cussing” by someone could be completely without what some would call cusswords, but if it is in a flametory use, then it is just as much a sin as using the more “common” “4-letter” words.

The Bible teaches us to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. – saying certain words isn’t necessarily a sin for one person, and might be for another, but using words whether considered cussing or not in a derogatory or in an abusive mannor is considered hamartia (missing the mark) a sin to any “Christian” (who is has any kind of relationship with God that is more than in an infantile stage).

Preferring your “brother” over yourself with an attitude of love and servitude and not wanting to be a stumbling block to a fellow “Christian” could also be part of this little lesson, but at the foundation, I am merely expressing that I disagree with bd86, and that Maybe in some things we agree, in the main issue, we can agree to disagree and remain “brothers” for the workings of my salvation process are different than his.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 09:08 PM #21
gremlin75
.....I got nothing!
 
gremlin75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Taylor, MI
gremlin75 is a Moderator
gremlin75 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
gremlin75 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gremlin75 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
gremlin75 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketsket26 View Post
"**** I made a horrbible decesion."
Yes you did. Do not avoid the sware filter. This is your warning. Next time you will take a vacation

later
gremlin
gremlin75 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump