Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-11-2006, 09:10 PM #22
DEATHx2
village idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeberz View Post
Stop trying to up your post count tim. we all know what you are like on tdot, and its not something to laugh at, its a controversial issue, and its not meant to be funny.
personally i found it hillarious...
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM #23
Graber
19 Delta

I believe it
Old 12-11-2006, 09:14 PM #24
graysonp
Me = Awesome

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEagle View Post
[IMG]http://i12.tinypic.com/479vsro.png[IMG]

Yes, God was quite peaceful, wasn't he?
I don't think that it really matters who killed how many people. God created every human, He created all life, so I suppose you could claim that God has "killed" every single human ever born. But the point is that they have all had the opportunity for eternal life through God. Satan has given that opportunity to noone. Those that God "killed" were not because God was evil. God just ended the lives of certain people sooner than others. Everyone dies at some point. Why does some people dying sooner than others mean that God is not peaceful or just?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM #25
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
did God "kill" as in murder anyone? or was it people that killed, whether in juhad or murder?
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM #26
caseytmev3 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
did God "kill" as in murder anyone? or was it people that killed, whether in juhad or murder?
God did kill some of them himself, according to the bible.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM #27
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytmev3 View Post
God did kill some of them himself, according to the bible.
In my studies of the Old and new testaments, including the deuterocanon, early church fathers, nicene fathers works as well as all the gnostics I have available, I haven't read anywhere where God committed murder, please cite me a reference, if you don't mind?

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:41 PM #28
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
In my studies of the Old and new testaments, including the deuterocanon, early church fathers, nicene fathers works as well as all the gnostics I have available, I haven't read anywhere where God committed murder, please cite me a reference, if you don't mind?
Is drowning the entire population of the world not murder? Surely in your intense studies you could not have overlooked the Great Flood?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 PM #29
graysonp
Me = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Is drowning the entire population of the world not murder? Surely in your intense studies you could not have overlooked the Great Flood?
God didn't kill the men. He created a flood that killed men. The men had the chance to be followers of God and avoid the flood. Again, you could claim that God has killed every human ever born because He created disease, aging, and weaknesses in the human body.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 PM #30
caseytmev3 (Banned)

Quote:
I guess you skimmed threw the old testament

Genesis 7:God kills the entire population with a flood, besides Noah and his family.

Genesis 9: God destroys 2 cities full of people, Sodom Gomorrah.

Exodus 11: God destroys the first born son of the Egyptians.

And my favorite:

Genesis 38
Judah and Tamar
1 At that time, Judah left his brothers and went down to stay with a man of Adullam named Hirah. 2 There Judah met the daughter of a Canaanite man named Shua. He married her and lay with her; 3 she became pregnant and gave birth to a son, who was named Er. 4 She conceived again and gave birth to a son and named him Onan. 5 She gave birth to still another son and named him Shelah. It was at Kezib that she gave birth to him.

6 Judah got a wife for Er, his firstborn, and her name was Tamar. 7 But Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the LORD's sight; so the LORD put him to death.

8 Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also.

There are probably more, but those are the ones I could remember off the top of my head.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:38 AM #31
TJ.
FSM=FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
God didn't kill the men. He created a flood that killed men. The men had the chance to be followers of God and avoid the flood. Again, you could claim that God has killed every human ever born because He created disease, aging, and weaknesses in the human body.
i didnt kill anyone, the bullet and loss of blood did.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:20 AM #32
TheAdministrator (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
did noah repopulate the world?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:17 AM #33
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

kill does not equate murder. two different connotations. yes there were people killed because of jihad and otherwise being disobedient rebellious, and sinfull. but hay, it's not my place to tell most all of you that you have incomplete understanding of the Christian God if you want to believe what you think you know; i was merely pointing out that God didn't "murder" anyone.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 AM #34
caseytmev3 (Banned)

Quote:
kill does not equate murder. two different connotations. yes there were people killed because of jihad and otherwise being disobedient rebellious, and sinfull. but hay, it's not my place to tell most all of you that you have incomplete understanding of the Christian God if you want to believe what you think you know; i was merely pointing out that God didn't "murder" anyone.

Alright guru, I don't really see what you are trying to prove by saying that it is alright for him to kill, but hey, be sure to know he didn't murder!

Quote:
It seems like you were wanted one of two answers, that god killed someone, or that god always had a human to carry out the work. If you want to snake around definitions and technicalities and say that god didn't murder, well then that is great for you. I just want to know how it is any better than murder, if one simply requires prosecution under the law. I mean, it is not like he accidentally stopped them from living, he actually stopped their life.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:41 AM #35
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytmev3 View Post
Alright guru, I don't really see what you are trying to prove by saying that it is alright for him to kill, but hey, be sure to know he didn't murder!

It seems like you were wanted one of two answers, that god killed someone, or that god always had a human to carry out the work. If you want to snake around definitions and technicalities and say that god didn't murder, well then that is great for you. I just want to know how it is any better than murder, if one simply requires prosecution under the law. I mean, it is not like he accidentally stopped them from living, he actually stopped their life.
snaking has nothing to do with it. it's about perception. many people will kill innocent babies by using abortive contraceptives, as example - but those same people think that God is murderous when in His justice and righteousness will bring about punishment and death.

murder is defined by intent. while murdering is killing, not all killing is murdering.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM #36
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
Conqueror supports our troops
This is a silly semantics argument. Whether I kill someone or murder them, they're still dead. Suggesting that god "kills" people instead of "murdering" them doesn't change the subject of this thread, ie that god killed more people than satan.

CQ
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 AM #37
disinformation

Maybe agent smith was right. Humanity is a virus on this planet and God needs to come back and wipe us out...again.

Sheeesh, he must have really hate the dinosours.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:55 AM #38
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
This is a silly semantics argument. Whether I kill someone or murder them, they're still dead. Suggesting that god "kills" people instead of "murdering" them doesn't change the subject of this thread, ie that god killed more people than satan.

CQ
I will agree to disagree with you on that point. I do not believe it to be "silly semantics". the incorrect perception that God is a murderous lech, rather than a just and righteous God is the perception for some and it is an incorrect perception, again in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:20 AM #39
Aggressive Bill

For one thing, it was never a debate of who was responsible for more deaths. Often people don't see the point to what God was doing. Being a ruler, he has authority to excersize. We throw people in jail when they commit crimes. Some get the death penalty or life. God has more authority than that.

Much of the OT had a representation of a life after Christ. People held onto idols and past ways of life. Some mocked God. Some disobeyed God's commands as he was setting up things. It shows that you can't go half hearted into God and expect to get away with it. You can't hold onto old ways and expect to find life. You'll only find death.

God always went to the extremes when he was setting up something. When he was doing something big, people either really flourished or died. But what that stat doesn't say is that, for the most part, it took years and years for God to finally decide to end em. Years and years of whining, belly aching, disobedience, etc.

When children do something bad, we usually don't wait years to punish them. For most parents, they punish pretty quickly. Now God being way more of an authority, he works in his authority. He has his patience and he has his limits. Just like kids usually feel, we don't like it when there's punishment. We think its unfair or uncalled for. Its just probably unwise to continually tick off God.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM #40
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

How about looking from a different direction?

When we talk of death - it can be physical or eternal -

How many people does God want condemmed? - answer 0.000

How many people does satan want condemmed? - answer - the sum total of mankind.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 PM #41
chae (Banned)

Ya, Satan told everyone he wants to condemn them all while killing off millions who do not fall and worship him

Keep believing in your little story book.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:45 PM #42
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chae View Post
Keep believing in your little story book.
Sorry you missed this:

Quote:
Above all else, there needs to be respect.