PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 PM #1
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Question for Agnostics

Atheists do not believe in a God while Christians do. Agnostics are not sure. My question is, how do agnostics live with such a philosophy? Although I believe Christians to be wrong they at least have a plan for life. Atheists find meaning in the denial of God. Agnostics have neither. Is it not unnerving to live your life in the gray area? To me, it is necessary to choose a way to live rather than being uncertain.

Just want some feedback.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 11:49 PM #2
The Music Man
UH OH.

I assume nothing as fact until provided with enough evidence to support something as fact. God might exist, and he might not. Nobody can prove either way.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 PM #3
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Music Man View Post
I assume nothing as fact until provided with enough evidence to support something as fact. God might exist, and he might not. Nobody can prove either way.
Yes, but science teaches not to believe in something unless it is proven to exist. For example, I may say that Zeus is really the supreme being or that it is a Flying Spaghetti Monster. You cannot prove that they both don't exist. However, we know that it is not likely.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 AM #4
The Music Man
UH OH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
likely.
That word right there sorta wrecks your whole argument. "Likely" in religion and science is extremely open to interpretation from both sides. For example, with creationism, people argue that how unlikely it is that the animals of today, being such unbelievably complex organisms, could have come from a few bacteria a long time ago, what with how the brain functions, how we process food, etc. Scientists just say it's evolution, and it happened.

BTW, I do lean more towards science, because I've seen a lot more fact come from there than from religion. I'm not ruling out anything though, even scientology. However unlikely it might be, it's still possible (compared with other religions, anyway).
Old 12-09-2006, 12:10 AM #5
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
That word right there sorta wrecks your whole argument. "Likely" in religion and science is extremely open to interpretation from both sides. For example, with creationism, people argue that how unlikely it is that the animals of today, being such unbelievably complex organisms, could have come from a few bacteria a long time ago, what with how the brain functions, how we process food, etc. Scientists just say it's evolution, and it happened.

BTW, I do lean more towards science, because I've seen a lot more fact come from there than from religion. I'm not ruling out anything though, even scientology. However unlikely it might be, it's still possible (compared with other religions, anyway).
Yes, but most creationists also argue that the earth was created six thousand years ago despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. And evolving from bacteria over an extremely long process is easily more believable than the belief that the world was created in six days.

And I do agree with your belief about Scientology. It certainly doesn't make less sense than most of the other religions.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:14 AM #6
The Music Man
UH OH.

Quote:
six days.
Many creationists argue that it was six days to God, but billions of years to our time plane. Sort of a metaphorical type of thing.

Just so you know, there's a lot more people out there who could argue this much better than I could. I'm just waiting for someone to take over, lol.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:20 AM #7
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Many creationists argue that it was six days to God, but billions of years to our time plane. Sort of a metaphorical type of thing.

Just so you know, there's a lot more people out there who could argue this much better than I could. I'm just waiting for someone to take over, lol.
That doesn't make any sense. So one day is a billion "God years?" Very scientific. That only further proves the point that ID is only religion pretending to be science.

But what I want to know is what you feel. How do you find meaning?
Old 12-09-2006, 10:20 AM #8
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Yes, but most creationists also argue that the earth was created six thousand years ago despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
How do you know that? Anyway check this out...
http://www.reasons.org/
Hugh ross agues that the earth is billions of years old; if you look around a little bit surprised.
Quote:
So one day is a billion "God years?" Very scientific. That only further proves the point that ID is only religion pretending to be science
Time is relative would you agree? How would you measure time before the earth existed as it does? Man years and time for an omnipresent being are totally relative.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 AM #9
Prea

Quote:
Atheists do not believe in a God while Christians do. Agnostics are not sure. My question is, how do agnostics live with such a philosophy? Although I believe Christians to be wrong they at least have a plan for life. Atheists find meaning in the denial of God. Agnostics have neither. Is it not unnerving to live your life in the gray area? To me, it is necessary to choose a way to live rather than being uncertain.

Just want some feedback.
for me, i used to be quite religious, but now i just don't care, religion isnt something worth following imo, i just live life how it is and dont worry about **** that i cant comprehend/understand......and because idk if there is a supreme being, yet there is still a possibility, i choose to be agnostic, along with that i feel i cant fully follow the teaching of any religion, because i have have my own opinions on things, and as a result cant really pick one religion to live by, so i choose none, and simply live without worrying about an afterlife, or about a supreme being, and all of that, simply because i really dont know how things truly are
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 AM #10
caseytmev3 (Banned)

ah, so there are only two choices in life, with Christianity being white or black and atheism being the other? Would you call the followers of other religions as being in the gray area, too?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:58 PM #11
The Music Man
UH OH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseytmev3 View Post
ah, so there are only two choices in life, with Christianity being white or black and atheism being the other? Would you call the followers of other religions as being in the gray area, too?
Welcome to America.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:05 PM #12
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
No. I mean Atheism and then all the other religions.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:10 PM #13
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
How do you know that? Anyway check this out...
http://www.reasons.org/
Hugh ross agues that the earth is billions of years old; if you look around a little bit surprised.

Time is relative would you agree? How would you measure time before the earth existed as it does? Man years and time for an omnipresent being are totally relative.
Many creationists debate over the time it took to create the earth, some may not believe it was created six thousand years ago but many do.

Yes, I can agree that time is relative but the Bible gives no mention of such an idea. It says the world was created in six days, the writers would not have used the word days if they didn't believe it so. And you can hardly make an argument for Intelligent Design, the National Academy of Sciences do not even recognize it as a science.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:28 PM #14
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D4 division
The funny thing is that there are more divisions in Creationism than there is in alot of other religions. So grouping it all under one giant group is an easy way for people to disagree with you.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:01 PM #15
Prea

Quote:
Yes, I can agree that time is relative but the Bible gives no mention of such an idea. It says the world was created in six days, the writers would not have used the word days if they didn't believe it so. And you can hardly make an argument for Intelligent Design, the National Academy of Sciences do not even recognize it as a science.
the bible wasnt intended to be a historical document, nor a scientific book, you cant take it as that, it was intended to teach how to achieve salvation

just because it says it was created in six days, doesnt mean it literally was, and most christians dont believe that either, numbers are often used as symbols and such in the bible (ie: 40 days is just a symbolic number for a long time, it doesnt literally mean 40 days)

how can you "hardly make an argument" for intelligen design, just because the national academy of sciences doesnt recognize it as a science doesnt mean ****, its still a legitimate debate, as much so as any other thought on how the universe began
Old 12-09-2006, 03:48 PM #16
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:

Just want some feedback.
Why do you need to feel strongly one way or another about a god? There are people all over the world who live perfectly normal lives with no feelings whatsoever about a higher power. Why do you need god, or a firm belief that there isn't one to have a plan in life? That doesn't come into play until after you die. I don't think about it and I don't worry about it. I live my life for me and my family. I have the same goals and ambitions as anyone else.

Life is actually much easier as an agnostic than it is being strongly religious or strongly athiest.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM #17
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$

JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prea View Post
the bible wasnt intended to be a historical document, nor a scientific book, you cant take it as that, it was intended to teach how to achieve salvation
Supposedly.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:59 PM #18
caseytmev3 (Banned)

Quote:
No. I mean Atheism and then all the other religions.

SO you call all other religions Christianity?
Old 12-09-2006, 04:17 PM #19
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prea View Post
The theory's behind the actual intention of the bible are far from our knowing. People can believe what they want...but we just don't know. Alot of the authors are unknown, The stories seem fairytale like, obviously some have a moral stance, others seem just morbid.
What it was intended for in unknown. What is known is personal opinion. Although most religious scholars will tell you that it is NOT to be taken literally
Old 12-09-2006, 11:06 PM #20
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
SO you call all other religions Christianity?
Oh I guess I forgot there were other religions.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:07 PM #21
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
Why do you need to feel strongly one way or another about a god? There are people all over the world who live perfectly normal lives with no feelings whatsoever about a higher power. Why do you need god, or a firm belief that there isn't one to have a plan in life? That doesn't come into play until after you die. I don't think about it and I don't worry about it. I live my life for me and my family. I have the same goals and ambitions as anyone else.

Life is actually much easier as an agnostic than it is being strongly religious or strongly athiest.
Thank you for your answer. I am only looking for input from agnostics.