Why is Sex Prohibitied in some rankings of Religions - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 PM #1
drigerV88
 
 
drigerV88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Why is Sex Prohibitied in some rankings of Religions

As you remember in the story of Abraham, God tells him to reproduce and God promisises him decendents then why is it that priest and such prohibiti it. Also is masterpation prohibited? and are there religions that strictly prohibit anything sexual at ALL costs?
drigerV88 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2006, 10:57 PM #2
caseytmev3 (Banned)
 
caseytmev3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
I can't speak for all religions, but the Abrahamic religions only discourage sex outside of marriage.
caseytmev3 is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 PM #3
Guitarguy
 
 
Guitarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Bay
If you really think about it, in most monotheistic religions its only sex out of marriage that is frowned upon. This could be for several practical reasons, when these religions were created there was no efficient form of birth control (some would argue there stil isn't) thus banning it would cut down on illegitimate children. Also sex with multiple partners is just asking to spread disease.
__________________
Feedback:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ight=guitarguy

Proud Member of the Lil Ryan Fan Club #1

Now N/-\te
Guitarguy is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:23 PM #4
whosyomama311 (Banned)
 
whosyomama311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The chocolate city
IMO with the masterbation (im not too fond of it) but if I can stroke my arm what is the difference between my arm and wang. Just the way it feels. You don't get bithced at for stroking your arm do yah? NOPE. So why should wang be bad?
whosyomama311 is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM #5
graysonp
Me = Awesome
 
graysonp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern KY
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosyomama311 View Post
IMO with the masterbation (im not too fond of it) but if I can stroke my arm what is the difference between my arm and wang. Just the way it feels. You don't get bithced at for stroking your arm do yah? NOPE. So why should wang be bad?
The bible does not say that masturbation itself is a sin. However, lust IS a sin, and I'd say that 99.9% of masturbation falls under that category.
graysonp is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 AM #6
akatch79
Queen of the Norse
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Christianity says that sex/lust is a sin because it was once the method for getting in touch with the gods. I'll explain.

Back in the days of paganism, there were many gods, but two main ones, the God and the Goddess. The Goddess was the superior (we now know her as Mother Earth) because she gave birth to the God. It was thought that because of this, men were incomplete and so needed to become whole by getting in touch with the Goddess through sexual intercourse. They would actually go to the temples and have sex with the priestesses, and that moment of oblivion immediately following orgasm was seen as the point at which the person became one with divinity. Similar things happened in Jewish temples, where the female half of God was known as Shekhinah.

Well, when the Church came along, it had to be the ONLY path to God, so Church officials recast sex and the desire thereof as sinful, and a work of the Devil. Even the story of the God and Goddess was switched around -- Adam "gave birth" to Eve, rather than the opposite.

It has also been said that the abovementioned feeling of oblivion is supposed to be what Nirvana feels like - but Nirvana is endless, so like an endless orgasm.
__________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
- Voltaire
A
akatch79 is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 12:30 AM #7
paintball288
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
so is it ok to masturbate if you don't lust, or is masturbation considered a form of sex
paintball288 is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 AM #8
P8ntballaddict15
 
 
P8ntballaddict15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Pensacola, Florida*850*
 has been a member for 10 years
In some religions masterbations is prohibited.
__________________

"Character isn't something we're born with. It's forged by the situations we encounter in life and how we react to them."
DBD
P8ntballaddict15 is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 01:25 AM #9
maxMONSTER
 
 
maxMONSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Socal
basically masterbation is completely fine if you do it with a clean conscience which in all mens books is completely impossible to do and sex outside marraige is frowned upon cuz God made sex a special thing between man and wife something that they could share togethor
__________________
Proto Rail $400
UL frame $150
CP clear backcap $25
Proto clear eye plates $20
Qlock $40
07 CP on/off $37
Halo B v35 rip drive $135
playing paintball priceless
maxMONSTER is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 07:59 AM #10
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatch79 View Post
Similar things happened in Jewish temples, where the female half of God was known as Shekhinah.
What's this now? Shekinah was a rare and VISIBLE manifestation of God's presense that's recorded a few times in the OT. It's got NOTHING to do with any 'female half' of God.

From Wikipedia: "Some comparative Religionists have suggested a comparison to shakti, the female energy of Hindu gods."

Hindus, not Jews.
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 08:00 AM #11
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball288 View Post
so is it ok to masturbate if you don't lust, or is masturbation considered a form of sex
How could you do it without lusting? What exactly are you thinking about while you're doing it?
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 11:49 AM #12
Aggressive Bill
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern IL
Sex is one of those issues that confuse a lot of people. The Catholic church has their priests to abstain from sex as a means of a fast. Its not actually in the bible to abstain your entire life, but only until you are married.

What a lot of people don't realize, is that sex is more than just sex. There's emotions, bonding, and psychological stuff alllll involved. The average high school girl doesn't have sex because she wants to have sex. There's usually a deeper root to it. It continues on through out life. The reason it says in the bible to not have sex before marriage is not to control people, to to help them out. Sex outside of marriage brings about all sorts of things that you don't see on the outside, all sorts of things that I've personally seen ruin people's lives.
Aggressive Bill is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 PM #13
CAHunter (Banned)
 
CAHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 has been a member for 10 years
I think masturbation is a sin because you're wasting your seed as well as lusting. God favors procreation.
CAHunter is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 09:45 PM #14
akatch79
Queen of the Norse
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Bill View Post
Sex is one of those issues that confuse a lot of people. The Catholic church has their priests to abstain from sex as a means of a fast. Its not actually in the bible to abstain your entire life, but only until you are married.

What a lot of people don't realize, is that sex is more than just sex. There's emotions, bonding, and psychological stuff alllll involved. The average high school girl doesn't have sex because she wants to have sex. There's usually a deeper root to it. It continues on through out life. The reason it says in the bible to not have sex before marriage is not to control people, to to help them out. Sex outside of marriage brings about all sorts of things that you don't see on the outside, all sorts of things that I've personally seen ruin people's lives.
Now this is a brilliant idea, but instead of waiting till marriage, we should wait until we find a person with whom sex will mean something. If one waits till marriage, then discovers that the sex is unsatisfying, it could potentially ruin the marriage. I'm not trying to be shallow here, but it's been PROVEN that monogamous couples who have lots of consensual, fulfilling sex are happier than couples who don't, and there really is a sort of bond that occurs, and when done with the right person, it really does bring you closer. All I'm saying is, you need to sample the apple before you buy the bushel.
__________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
- Voltaire
A
akatch79 is offline  
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM #15
UFG
Use ****ing Google
 
UFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The web.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
How could you do it without lusting? What exactly are you thinking about while you're doing it?
Self pleasure. There have been countless times where I only focus on the experience and what I'm feeling. When doing this, it can most of the time be better than sex.
UFG is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 AM #16
akatch79
Queen of the Norse
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFG View Post
Self pleasure. There have been countless times where I only focus on the experience and what I'm feeling. When doing this, it can most of the time be better than sex.
I don't think you've had sex

But hey, that's ok. I respect your decision.
__________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
- Voltaire
A
akatch79 is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:05 AM #17
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFG View Post
Self pleasure. There have been countless times where I only focus on the experience and what I'm feeling. When doing this, it can most of the time be better than sex.
Then you are lusting after yourself. Still lust!
NicoleW is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:22 AM #18
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatch79 View Post
Now this is a brilliant idea, but instead of waiting till marriage, we should wait until we find a person with whom sex will mean something.

Nope, dosen't work. The first guy I ever had sex with was my boyfriend of 5 1/2 years and it still didn't mean the same thing that having sex with my husband does and I really regretted it.

If one waits till marriage, then discovers that the sex is unsatisfying, it could potentially ruin the marriage.

What? You've got to be kidding me. If sex is what the relationship was based on to begin with, that really wasn't much of a marriage from the start!

Sex is not a tryout. If your spouse fails to thrill you sexually, will you love them less? If so, you can be certain that you never loved them to begin with.


I'm not trying to be shallow here, but it's been PROVEN that monogamous couples who have lots of consensual, fulfilling sex are happier than couples who don't, and there really is a sort of bond that occurs, and when done with the right person, it really does bring you closer.

And as far as that goes, of those having sex, researchers found that the least satisfied were unmarried people. Those who had sex outside of marriage were aware that while it felt good during the act, that did not mean they felt good about themselves afterwards. The guilt coupled with the anxious fear of being used, becoming pregnant, or contracting a disease lessened the sexual satisfaction of those who were promiscuous.

On the other hand, research showed that those who were married to a faithful partner had the highest reports of sexual enjoyment on both a physical and emotional level, and they were most likely to feel "satisfied," "loved," "thrilled," "wanted," and "taken care of." Contrary to what the world incessantly says, research shows that marriages benefit from a lack of premarital sexual experience. In other words, great sex is not the result of sexual experience and technique. If anything, great sex is the fruit of a happy marriage, not the cause of it.


All I'm saying is, you need to sample the apple before you buy the bushel.
This is where you are wrong, and this is coming from experience!

The desire to "test drive" a marriage demonstrates a lack of understanding regarding what makes a marriage work. It also shows a real lack of faith in one's love for the other. In one sense, the couple is saying that they desire intimacy, but on the other hand they want to leave a way out if the partner doesn't measure up. This sows seeds of doubt and distrust from the start. Some couples seem to be under the impression that a good relationship won't have disappointments. When they marry and the disappointments come, they often bail out.

As G. K. Chesterton said,
"If Americans can be divorced for 'incompatibility of temper,' I cannot conceive why they are not all divorced. I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable. For a man and a woman, as such, are incompatible."

Last edited by NicoleW : 12-12-2006 at 10:48 AM.
NicoleW is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 AM #19
*T3h Bouncer* (Banned)
 
*T3h Bouncer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Realm of ST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleW View Post
This is where you are wrong, and this is coming from experience!

The desire to "test drive" a marriage demonstrates a lack of understanding regarding what makes a marriage work. It also shows a real lack of faith in one's love for the other. In one sense, the couple is saying that they desire intimacy, but on the other hand they want to leave a way out if the partner doesn't measure up. This sows seeds of doubt and distrust from the start. Some couples seem to be under the impression that a good relationship won't have disappointments. When they marry and the disappointments come, they often bail out.

As G. K. Chesterton said,
"If Americans can be divorced for 'incompatibility of temper,' I cannot conceive why they are not all divorced. I have known many happy marriages, but never a compatible one. The whole aim of marriage is to fight through and survive the instant when incompatibility becomes unquestionable. For a man and a woman, as such, are incompatible."


I have never in my life on pbnation posted in the religion section but I 100% agree with what you just posted.
*T3h Bouncer* is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 AM #20
Aggressive Bill
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern IL
Very true Nicole. Well said. The rate of the relationship ending or divorcing after having premarital sex is a lot more than the rate at which couples who practiced abstinence. They don't show that part on tv or in the movies. Its not the sole reason why they end, but it surely does invite all sorts of emotional and psychological things that not many realize.

I've been working with people for around 10 years and I've yet to meet a young woman who sleeps with a man just because its sex. There's always been another deeper root to why she wanted to do it. Usually its for attention or to "prove" her love. One got pregnant on purpose to trap her boyfriend into a relationship because she figured that if she had his kid, he wouldn't leave. That didn't work out too well.
Aggressive Bill is offline  
Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 AM #21
NicoleW
 
 
NicoleW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Bill View Post
Very true Nicole. Well said. The rate of the relationship ending or divorcing after having premarital sex is a lot more than the rate at which couples who practiced abstinence. They don't show that part on tv or in the movies. Its not the sole reason why they end, but it surely does invite all sorts of emotional and psychological things that not many realize.

I couldn't agree with you more and my life is a personal testiment to that! Alot of couples will live and sleep together before marriage and then after marriage, wonder why it didn't work out.

Aside from all the spiritual factors regarding premarital sex, we should take a look at what researchers have found about living together before marriage. Two researchers summarized the findings of numerous studies by stating that "expectation of a positive relationship between cohabitation and marital stability . . . has been shattered in recent years by studies conducted in several Western countries."(1)

What the studies discovered is this: if you do not want to get divorced, do not move in until after the wedding. Why is that? Consider the following facts about cohabitation: Most couples who live together never end up getting married, but those who do tie the knot are almost twice as likely to divorce as couples who do not live together before marriage.(2) Overall, couples who cohabit before marriage have a divorce rate of about eighty percent,(3) and non-virgin brides are sixty percent more likely to end up divorced than women who enter marriage as virgins.(4) Couples who cohabited prior to marriage have greater marital conflict and poorer communication, and they made more frequent visits to marriage counselors.(5) Women who cohabited before marriage are more than three times as likely to cheat on their husbands within marriage.(6) The U.S. Justice Department found that women who cohabit are sixty-two times more likely to be assaulted by a live-in boyfriend than by a husband.(7) They were also more than three times as likely to be depressed as married women,(8) and the couples were less sexually satisfied than those who waited for marriage.(9)

From a standpoint of marital duration, marital peace, marital fidelity, physical safety, emotional well-being, and sexual satisfaction, cohabitation and premarital sex is not exactly a recipe for happiness. Even USA Today reported, "Could this be true love? Test it with courtship, not cohabitation."(10) You may assume that if the couple had lived together a bit longer, they would have ironed out the difficulties and not had these problems in marriage. The studies show the opposite: longer cohabitations are associated with a higher likelihood of divorce.(11) Even if you don't think that your boyfriend would be abusive or that you would get depressed, the divorce rate speaks for itself.


I've been working with people for around 10 years and I've yet to meet a young woman who sleeps with a man just because its sex. There's always been another deeper root to why she wanted to do it. Usually its for attention or to "prove" her love. One got pregnant on purpose to trap her boyfriend into a relationship because she figured that if she had his kid, he wouldn't leave. That didn't work out too well.
This is so true! Girls will sometimes give sex to get the feeling of being loved and guys will give the love in order to get the sex.

When a guy is sexually aggressive, it is usually because he is giving in to his body's strong desires. With young women, there seems to be a different motive. Look into the heart of a young girl who is forward and physical. Odds are, she has been used before, and now she shuts off her emotions from her physical actions. Many men have no qualms about having a one-night stand because they are more able to perform the sexual act as if it were merely a physical event.

Women's hearts and bodies tend to be more integrated. One girl said, "Most of all, at the gut level, there was a desire for intimacy, a desire for marriage, a desire for commitment, a desire for fulfillment and a desire to hear the words 'I accept you.' . . . As an attempt to find fulfillment and acceptance, 'rolling in and out of bed' became a common pattern for me, a balm to cover my fears. Fulfillment took the scope of a few hours instead of what I had imagined--a lifetime. The fears produced the truth: I had become bored and boring; I didn't find any lasting acceptance of me; I didn't find my ideal mate from bedroom gymnastics."(1)
NicoleW is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump