evolution or the other theory? - Page 3 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-10-2006, 12:09 AM #43
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.
 
Topazbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballonaim View Post
lol.

That's so far from the truth.

Asbestos:
"oh don't worry, it's harmless..."
(50 years later)
"damn it, I have cancer".

What I'm trying to say, is science changes - the Bible doesn't. Years and years of science changing and trying to challenge a thousand year old book, and they still haven't proved it wrong. Science is just guesses from a few people who have studied an extra 10 years, and you're willing to bet your after life on them? Now I'm not saying science is wrong or anything, but when it comes to how we came and where we will be in the future, their guess is as good as anyone's - they just took more time researching it. You cannot prove the Bible is wrong, and you cannot prove science is wrong, so why bother arguing with eachother?
The change is called progress. It is happens in light of new research and evidence. It has a base. The Bible? An inspiring storybook. A virgin birth? That makes a ton of sense.
__________________
I do Anodizing, click here and PM me.
Topazbullet is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2006, 08:16 AM #44
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker
 
PhantomGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Reality Bites
Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Evolution = constantly changing due to fact it is s theory.

Intellegent Design = Never changes Story.

So if we can all accpet that...let's move on.

Who's intellegent design do you want to speak of? Hindu? Muslim? Christianity? Wiccan? If we want to lump them together that is fine but the word "Bible" may not be brought up as not everyone who believes in intellegent Design believe the Bible (so stop doing that.) Now if we want to define intellegent design by, "The world was 'created' by a higher power" that is fine but let's get some basic ground descriptions first before we start talking blindly.

There are so many holes in both descriptions but this is where the arguement comes up. Those who believe in intellegent design have a answer for everything, "God did it." The evolution believers should (if true scientist) not believe in something that has no proof. A true scientist would see it clearly as a theory and not something that has much weight to it because of the flaws. That is kinda like saying, "I believe I can build a house on Venus." In therory if EVERYTHING can be tested then we can say yes you can, till then.....good idea but no facts to base it on.
__________________
Increase Your Size by 12"
PhantomGhost is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:08 AM #45
jogabonito7
boom goes the dynamite
 
jogabonito7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston
Evolution is not fact, but I still believe it occurred/occurs.
__________________
Patriots ~ Celtics ~ Bruins ~ Red Sox

Skillz
jogabonito7 is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:21 AM #46
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomGhost View Post
Evolution = constantly changing due to fact it is s theory.

Intellegent Design = Never changes Story.

So if we can all accpet that...let's move on.

Who's intellegent design do you want to speak of? Hindu? Muslim? Christianity? Wiccan? If we want to lump them together that is fine but the word "Bible" may not be brought up as not everyone who believes in intellegent Design believe the Bible (so stop doing that.) Now if we want to define intellegent design by, "The world was 'created' by a higher power" that is fine but let's get some basic ground descriptions first before we start talking blindly.

There are so many holes in both descriptions but this is where the arguement comes up. Those who believe in intellegent design have a answer for everything, "God did it." The evolution believers should (if true scientist) not believe in something that has no proof. A true scientist would see it clearly as a theory and not something that has much weight to it because of the flaws. That is kinda like saying, "I believe I can build a house on Venus." In therory if EVERYTHING can be tested then we can say yes you can, till then.....good idea but no facts to base it on.
You're conception of fact and theory is totally wrong. Evolution isn't a theory because it's constantly changing. Evolution isn't constantly changing. New support for the theory is being developed, but it is not changing. A theory isn't a theory because it does not have enough empirical evidence. A theory isn't a theory either because it has flaws. A theory is a theory, because it is very broad and complex in nature. It explains multiple phenomena rather than a centralized concept like a law does. Laws are often founded on mathematical formulas and are very straightforward. Essentially, a theory in science, is too encompassing to be declared a law. But it's certainly not because of its flaws or lack of evidence. Evolution has tons of evidence:

-Why are there different human races?
-Why are there worthless chunks of DNA (IE introns) in every organism's genome?
-Why do we have an appendix?
-Why do we have a third undeveloped eyelid (nictating membrane)?
-Why do we have a tail bone (caudal vertebrae of coccyx)?
-Why do we have gills in fetal development?
-Why do we have muscles in our nostrils and ears?
-Why do we have wisdom teeth?
-Why are we made (70%) of salt water and not dust?
-Why doesn't penicillin work anymore?
-Why are our retinas backwards?
-Why are our brains contralateral to our bodies?
-Why are there genetic defects?
-Why do species go extinct?
-Why do boa constrictors have hip bones and undeveloped hind legs?
-Why do manatees have fingernails on their fins?
-Why do baleen whales have pelvic bones?

Evolution would be nowhere today if it didn't have the evidence it did.
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM #47
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.
 
Topazbullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cambridge, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
You're conception of fact and theory is totally wrong. Evolution isn't a theory because it's constantly changing. Evolution isn't constantly changing. New support for the theory is being developed, but it is not changing. A theory isn't a theory because it does not have enough empirical evidence. A theory isn't a theory either because it has flaws. A theory is a theory, because it is very broad and complex in nature. It explains multiple phenomena rather than a centralized concept like a law does. Laws are often founded on mathematical formulas and are very straightforward. Essentially, a theory in science, is too encompassing to be declared a law. But it's certainly not because of its flaws or lack of evidence. Evolution has tons of evidence:

-Why are there different human races?
-Why are there worthless chunks of DNA (IE introns) in every organism's genome?
-Why do we have an appendix?
-Why do we have a third undeveloped eyelid (nictating membrane)?
-Why do we have a tail bone (caudal vertebrae of coccyx)?
-Why do we have gills in fetal development?
-Why do we have muscles in our nostrils and ears?
-Why do we have wisdom teeth?
-Why are we made (70%) of salt water and not dust?
-Why doesn't penicillin work anymore?
-Why are our retinas backwards?
-Why are our brains contralateral to our bodies?
-Why are there genetic defects?
-Why do species go extinct?
-Why do boa constrictors have hip bones and undeveloped hind legs?
-Why do manatees have fingernails on their fins?
-Why do baleen whales have pelvic bones?

Evolution would be nowhere today if it didn't have the evidence it did.
SCHWING

and there's even more evidence than that
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

and here is an index of every creationist argument and why it is wrong
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/

and all these are compiled from multiple, impartial sources
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/refs.html

/thread
__________________
I do Anodizing, click here and PM me.
Topazbullet is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:29 AM #48
151*
Will Return
 
151*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
You're conception of fact and theory is totally wrong. Evolution isn't a theory because it's constantly changing. Evolution isn't constantly changing. New support for the theory is being developed, but it is not changing. A theory isn't a theory because it does not have enough empirical evidence. A theory isn't a theory either because it has flaws. A theory is a theory, because it is very broad and complex in nature. It explains multiple phenomena rather than a centralized concept like a law does. Laws are often founded on mathematical formulas and are very straightforward. Essentially, a theory in science, is too encompassing to be declared a law. But it's certainly not because of its flaws or lack of evidence. Evolution has tons of evidence:

-Why are there different human races?
-Why are there worthless chunks of DNA (IE introns) in every organism's genome?
-Why do we have an appendix?
-Why do we have a third undeveloped eyelid (nictating membrane)?
-Why do we have a tail bone (caudal vertebrae of coccyx)?
-Why do we have gills in fetal development?
-Why do we have muscles in our nostrils and ears?
-Why do we have wisdom teeth?
-Why are we made (70%) of salt water and not dust?
-Why doesn't penicillin work anymore?
-Why are our retinas backwards?
-Why are our brains contralateral to our bodies?
-Why are there genetic defects?
-Why do species go extinct?
-Why do boa constrictors have hip bones and undeveloped hind legs?
-Why do manatees have fingernails on their fins?
-Why do baleen whales have pelvic bones?

Evolution would be nowhere today if it didn't have the evidence it did.
where are all the missing links? there should be roughly 300,000 generations leading up to what humans are today but they dont exist. we can find the smallest of dinosaurs and pieces of dinosaur eggs but we cant find the missing links leading to human evolution? werent dinosaurs supposed to have existed umpteen bajillion years before humans?
__________________
AC Dub Club
151* is offline  
Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 AM #49
Mps2216
Control Yourself
 
Mps2216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: London
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 151* View Post
where are all the missing links? there should be roughly 300,000 generations leading up to what humans are today but they dont exist. we can find the smallest of dinosaurs and pieces of dinosaur eggs but we cant find the missing links leading to human evolution? werent dinosaurs supposed to have existed umpteen bajillion years before humans?
Read.

Wiki - Human Evolution
__________________
WashU '12
SC Rage RKPB
Mps2216 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump