PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:08 PM #1
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Is God Evil or Not Omnipotent?

According to the beliefs of the world's most popular monotheistic religions an omnipotent and loving God reigns over the universe. Adherents to Christianity, Islam, and Judaism believe that God is just and all-knowing. They believe that God is the one perfect love in all of creation and that He would save all those who believe in him.

However, this cannot be the case.

If it is true that God is omnipotent and loving why is there evil in the world? Why do innocent babies die every day? Why are kind, loving people murdered? Why is the world full of such horrible tragedies? If a perfect loving God exists surely there would be no suffering?

It is because of this that I must ask this question.

If God is love why do horrible things happen when He has the power to stop them? He is all powerful and all knowing yet allows evil to exist. If someone had the power to end all human suffering why would He not? I can think of no greater definition of evil than an omnipotent supreme being refusing to help mankind. If He has the power to stop it why does he not? Because he lets it exist, he must be sadistic and evil.

Or there is another option. He is not all powerful.

If God is not all powerful it would contradict one of the pillars of monotheism; that is that He has endless powers. But if He is not evil but allows evil to exist he must not be able to stop evil. Surely if God is love and had the power to end the world's problems he would do so. Why does He choose not to? Then He must not be able to overcome the evil of the world. Once we come to the conclusion that God cannot save us from suffering we must understand that the only one capable of saving us is ourselves.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 08:19 PM #2
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Not in my words but the best answer you can get and can't argue.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson
asked her "How could God let something like this
Happen?" (regarding Katrina)

Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and
insightful response. She said, "I believe God is deeply saddened by this,
just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our
schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being
the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect
God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us
alone?"
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM #3
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

God is not good, he is goodness. You can't define God by saying evil, because that means you are comparing him to something. How can God be defined if there's nothing to compare him to.
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 PM #4
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post
God is not good, he is goodness. You can't define God by saying evil, because that means you are comparing him to something. How can God be defined if there's nothing to compare him to.
How is he goodness? He has the power to stop evil but does not. And God has been defined as an all powerful and loving supreme being. Any minister who is worth his salt will tell you that.

And I refuse to call Anne Graham's response "extremely profound and insightful". She echoes any other minister or parishoner. How is her response any more profound or insightful than mine or theirs? And thank you for answering my question. According to her, God "backed out." This to me means that he relishes causing destruction or is incapable of stopping it. And how does she know that God simply turned his back on us. He is supposed to love us unconditionally. And if she truly believes that if we brought God into government and public schools there would be no more disasters than her opinion is irrelevant anyway as her religion has diluted her mind.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:43 PM #5
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
How is he goodness? He has the power to stop evil but does not. And God has been defined as an all powerful and loving supreme being. Any minister who is worth his salt will tell you that.
It was an example. You can't call him good because that would mean you are comparing him to something. And just because a certain religion calls him loving does not mean that's correct. Loving compared to what?

See where I'm going?
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
Old 12-08-2006, 08:44 PM #6
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
If he stopped everything then why would he have given us free will. If he is going to control everything we would be in the garden of eden, but since we (humans) can not handle a "perfect" world God lets us do what we want. We allow sin in our world. Also, why does God have to "let" these things happen, what is the Devil is "doing" these things to claim lives and take their souls.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:28 PM #7
Evilwombat
Damn noob 2k8er's

But God designed man, didn't he? We are coming closer to understanding the mind everyday, and didn't god know, being all powerful, what would result from the chemistry he created? While it would be impossible to simulate without non-earthly computing power, and knowledge we don't posess, it's an interesting question. God must have known that, when he made Adam and Eve, that Eve would have eaten the apple, as he knew what was in her mind.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:33 PM #8
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

has been a member for 10 years
You're making a false assumption: that people don't deserve having bad things happen to them. The Bible says every person has sinned, every person has broken God's laws, that God is angered at sin, and that He's justified in whatever punishment He decides. The Bible never says that God will make people happy and healthy and give them easy lives. It says "Deny yourself. Pick up your cross and follow Me."

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 PM #9
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilwombat View Post
But God designed man, didn't he? We are coming closer to understanding the mind everyday, and didn't god know, being all powerful, what would result from the chemistry he created? While it would be impossible to simulate without non-earthly computing power, and knowledge we don't posess, it's an interesting question. God must have known that, when he made Adam and Eve, that Eve would have eaten the apple, as he knew what was in her mind.
Okay. I understand what you're alluding to but it doesn't address the question.

To PhantomGhost, Adam and eve could not be held responsible for what they did. It is true that God told them not to eat from the tree but they could not have known better. They were completely innocent and had no concept of right or wrong, hence the reason Eve was swayed by the serpent. And God does let these things happen. If he has the power to stop them but doesnt he is letting evil happen. If it is the Devil that is causing this why does God not destroy him if he has the power? I know what you will say. "Its because he wants us make our own decisions." But if he is all knowing and loving why would he allow us to make a decision that would harm us?

ISI, We can define God. Was God not a human creation? We have defined countless gods over the course of human history as evil or good why can we not do the same with this one? Most humans have a general concept of right or wrong and why should God not be held to this concept?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:42 PM #10
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
You're making a false assumption: that people don't deserve having bad things happen to them. The Bible says every person has sinned, every person has broken God's laws, that God is angered at sin, and that He's justified in whatever punishment He decides. The Bible never says that God will make people happy and healthy and give them easy lives. It says "Deny yourself. Pick up your cross and follow Me."
But millions of Christians turn to God in order to achieve happiness. Again, if every person has sinned why would God be angered at us? Obviously, it is a design error. We can't help that we sin. To err is human. God created humans and why would he be angry if he knows we can't help it. He was the one who designed us and we cannot be held accountable for his mistake.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:11 PM #11
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
ISI, We can define God. Was God not a human creation? We have defined countless gods over the course of human history as evil or good why can we not do the same with this one? Most humans have a general concept of right or wrong and why should God not be held to this concept?
Well you're defining a God created by humans. I believe in a God that created humans. By this I do not mean that he created human, but the universe. I do believe in evolution.

Because God is not human. If God were defined, there wouldn't be wars going on in his name. Everybody give their opinion of God, and that's what everybody perceive God to be.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:13 PM #12
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 12-08-2006, 10:37 PM #13
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Perhaps God just has a strange sense of humor.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 PM #14
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Well you're defining a God created by humans. I believe in a God that created humans. By this I do not mean that he created human, but the universe. I do believe in evolution.

Because God is not human. If God were defined, there wouldn't be wars going on in his name. Everybody give their opinion of God, and that's what everybody perceive God to be.
Well then you do not believe in the God of the Bible.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 PM #15
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcEsHigH2890 View Post
Weeee..... Pointless Thread About God And Religion
oh oh. don't do that

Quote:
Well then you do not believe in the God of the Bible.
Yes, that's correct. Christians are not the only ones that believe in God.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 PM #16
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
oh oh. don't do that

Yes, that's correct. Christians are not the only ones that believe in God.
Read the first paragraph, it doesn't apply to deists.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:46 PM #17
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
Read the first paragraph, it doesn't apply to deists.
Jews believe in a benevolent God, how he suppose to intervene? He doesn't take place in our lives, no matter how good or evil.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:48 PM #18
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

Annual Supporting Member
MVPaintballer is a Mega Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
MVPaintballer posts videos on PbNation
MVPaintballer supports our troops
Quote:
According to the beliefs of the world's most popular monotheistic religions an omnipotent and loving God reigns over the universe. Adherents to Christianity, Islam, and Judaism believe that God is just and all-knowing. They believe that God is the one perfect love in all of creation and that He would save all those who believe in him.

However, this cannot be the case.

If it is true that God is omnipotent and loving why is there evil in the world? Why do innocent babies die every day? Why are kind, loving people murdered? Why is the world full of such horrible tragedies? If a perfect loving God exists surely there would be no suffering?

It is because of this that I must ask this question.

If God is love why do horrible things happen when He has the power to stop them? He is all powerful and all knowing yet allows evil to exist. If someone had the power to end all human suffering why would He not? I can think of no greater definition of evil than an omnipotent supreme being refusing to help mankind. If He has the power to stop it why does he not? Because he lets it exist, he must be sadistic and evil.

Or there is another option. He is not all powerful.

If God is not all powerful it would contradict one of the pillars of monotheism; that is that He has endless powers. But if He is not evil but allows evil to exist he must not be able to stop evil. Surely if God is love and had the power to end the world's problems he would do so. Why does He choose not to? Then He must not be able to overcome the evil of the world. Once we come to the conclusion that God cannot save us from suffering we must understand that the only one capable of saving us is ourselves.
Your arguement is flawed as we believe God is undefinable as He is not from this universe.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 PM #19
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Jews believe in a benevolent God, how he suppose to intervene? He doesn't take place in our lives, no matter how good or evil.
He may not play the same role as with Christians but Jews certainly believe that God is all powerful and loving. And religious adherents for the most part do believe that God is playing a role in the world.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 PM #20
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
Your arguement is flawed as we believe God is undefinable as He is not from this universe.
How can my argument be flawed? What religion do you identify with and if you select Christianity then you must believe that God is omnipotent and loving.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:15 AM #21
gremlin75
.....I got nothing!

gremlin75 is a Moderator
gremlin75 is a Supporting Member
gremlin75 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gremlin75 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
gremlin75 is Legendary
Quote:
If it is true that God is omnipotent and loving why is there evil in the world?
Free will baby!

God gave it to us so that WE could do as WE wanted.

later
gremlin