Do you believe in the Bible? - Page 5 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Do you believe in the Bible
Yes 94 43.32%
No 107 49.31%
Unsure 16 7.37%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-12-2006, 10:40 PM #85
Eulogy (Banned)
batter
 
Eulogy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Central Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodkat View Post
the Bible my seem strange but i belive every last word of it
I'm sorry. So the dinosaurs never existed?
Eulogy is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 06:21 AM #86
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
The KJV is not a very good translation, though depends on point of view. the Elizabethan English is proper, but difficult to read and reinterpret, especially in todays vernacular and common slang. Most Christians use the KJV, because it is the oldest English version and therefor the most common reference.
NKJV for the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
Wasn't the KJV the version where they actually had poets help out with the translation to make it sound pretty?
Definitely not. That was just the proper English of the day. Remember it is hundreds of years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
I'm sorry. So the dinosaurs never existed?
Says who?
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 AM #87
froggy_newb
We are agents of the free
 
froggy_newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
Says who?
says hardcore religious people, and i think the bible.
__________________
you mess with one bean; you mess with the whole burrito
froggy_newb is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM #88
Aggressive Bill
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Northern IL
Nah. That's just an assumption. If any "religious people" deny it, then they are most likely nuts on many accounts. The majority believe dinosaurs existed. And the bible doesn't deny dinosaurs. It doesn't mention a whole lot about them, but it doesn't deny them.
Aggressive Bill is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM #89
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
Definitely not. That was just the proper English of the day. Remember it is hundreds of years old.
I know hold it is. I know that that was proper English of the day. It was my understanding that they just helped make it flow and sound more artistic.

But, after googling and looking for info on this I can't find anything. May have been a different version.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 02:16 PM #90
PaInTbAlLFrEaK17 (Banned)
AW SKEET SKEET MF'ER
 
PaInTbAlLFrEaK17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Long Island <516>
 has been a member for 10 years
My friend put it best,"The torah is best interpreted as a moral guide with illustrative lessons."
PaInTbAlLFrEaK17 is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM #91
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy_newb View Post
says hardcore religious people, and i think the bible.
it is interesting what people think about the Bible, when they have obviously not read it for themselves. there are actual scriptures that could be argued that are in reference to dinosaurs. and no - Christians as a whole (even/especially the "hardcore") do not deny the existence of them.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 12-13-2006 at 03:26 PM.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:29 PM #92
krushed
!
 
krushed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax
krushed helped look for balloons
krushed owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
krushed supports Team VICIOUS
krushed posts videos on PbNation
i thought it was accepted now that the events in the bible were mostly over exaggerated or misinterpreted happenings? Even biblical scholars have started to agree with this

parting the red sea? now believed to simply be a marshland called the sea of reeds that dried up

think, research! dont just believe!

also some of the date arguments might have to take it up with atomic half lives and a few isotopes
krushed is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:45 PM #93
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushed View Post
i thought it was accepted now that the events in the bible were mostly over exaggerated or misinterpreted happenings? Even biblical scholars have started to agree with this
nope, this is the liberal media teaching (brainwashing).
Quote:
parting the red sea? now believed to simply be a marshland called the sea of reeds that dried up
nope again, there are some anti-Judaeo belief people that will want people to go this direction, btu there is simply no proof, and in fact the archaeological evidences will show otherwise, but this is not what is shown on tv/liberal media presentations.
Quote:
think, research! dont just believe!
I agree mostly. I don't believe that one must be a Biblical Scholar to be Christian, but once a Christian, I do believe that it is their responsibility to know why they believe what we believe.
Quote:
also some of the date arguments might have to take it up with atomic half lives and a few isotopes
not sure where you are going here (are you being like "Ash" and saying molecules and compounds and stuff that our primitive brains can't comprehend?), especially in light of the thread. the Bible is not a science book, but it does contain some science. it is not a history book, but does contain some history.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:59 PM #94
chae (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
nope, this is the liberal media teaching (brainwashing).

Ya, liberals cannot be christian so they put out false scientific research

nope again, there are some anti-Judaeo belief people that will want people to go this direction, btu there is simply no proof, and in fact the archaeological evidences will show otherwise, but this is not what is shown on tv/liberal media presentations.

Actually this has been researched by scienctists and arhceaologists and this is the best explaination. Because there is 0 evidence of an actual parting of the red sea.


not sure where you are going here (are you being like "Ash" and saying molecules and compounds and stuff that our primitive brains can't comprehend?), especially in light of the thread. the Bible is not a science book, but it does contain some science. it is not a history book, but does contain some history.

Most books, even fiction books by Stephen King, have some assembly of truth in them. Be it actual places or tested theories. This does not make them factual novels.
..
chae is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:07 PM #95
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chae View Post
..
best explanation does not equate fact or truth, it simply means their best explanation, based on their preconceived ideas and understandings.

as mentioned the "facts" that you present are simply not facts. there is no eyewitness accounts for either side and believe it or not, there is, as mentioned; archaeological evidences to the contrary of what you say is archaeological best explanation. it depends on point of view, and interpretations of the evidences.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:08 PM #96
chae (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
best explanation does not equate fact or truth, it simply means their best explanation, based on their preconceived ideas and understandings.

as mentioned the "facts" that you present are simply not facts. there is no eyewitness accounts for either side and believe it or not, there is, as mentioned; archaeological evidences to the contrary of what you say is archaeological best explanation. it depends on point of view, and interpretations of the evidences.
There is zero archaeological evidence that anyone ever parted the red seas. That is laughable at best. Let me guess, they magically floated over the few feet of mud and outran their pursuers?
chae is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 PM #97
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Nope. Some parts of it just are not possible and have to be taken literally, others could be taken literally-how the hell do you know which was is right? And man has chosen what goes into it and what does not, and it probably wasn't even inspired by God, assuming you believe in him. It was not an original belief that the bible was inspired by God, it was originally a collection of the beliefs of prophets. Around the time of the Roman empire's collapse, people started thinking it was inspired by God.


The whole Christian religion is full of contradictions and serious flaws. It would be wisest not to believe in it, because if there is a God I'm sure he would understand the severe confusion and prefer you attempting to discover the truth rather than believing in him just because it agrees with your ideology.
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM #98
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chae View Post
There is zero archaeological evidence that anyone ever parted the red seas. That is laughable at best. Let me guess, they magically floated over the few feet of mud and outran their pursuers?
i'll repeat again, there are no eye witness accounts for your view or mine. the archaeological evidences are the digs of the cites and places that are near where the parting took place. the sea of reeds as is commony referred to is too far away, based on Biblical reference of the cities and current archaeological sites.

I believe that the Bible is true and that a miracle took place and that they walked across on dry ground, no mud.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:19 PM #99
chae (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
i'll repeat again, there are no eye witness accounts for your view or mine. the archaeological evidences are the digs of the cites and places that are near where the parting took place. the sea of reeds as is commony referred to is too far away, based on Biblical reference of the cities and current archaeological sites.

I believe that the Bible is true and that a miracle took place and that they walked across on dry ground, no mud.
SO you believe the Noah's ark story that was stolen from Gilgamesh too I bet
chae is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:19 PM #100
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
...The whole Christian religion is full of contradictions and serious flaws...
In your opinion. there may be contradictions in various denominations of Christianity as they are presented to you, but the "Bible" has no contradictions.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM #101
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chae View Post
SO you believe the Noah's ark story that was stolen from Gilgamesh too I bet
why would I believe that? no. I believe they may be referring to the same account. I just happen to believe the Bible account is true.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM #102
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
why would I believe that? no. I believe they may be referring to the same account. I just happen to believe the Bible account is true.
Haven't you noticed that a LOT of stories and Christian beliefs are stolen from previous religions?
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:23 PM #103
chae (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
In your opinion. there may be contradictions in various denominations of Christianity as they are presented to you, but the "Bible" has no contradictions.
You are joking right?

Who was at the Empty Tomb? Is it:

MAT 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

MAR 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

JOH 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Is Jesus equal to or lesser than?

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Just a few examples of the countless contradictions in the bible. If any part of the bible is wrong it then relates to the entire book being wrong. The bible is nothing more than a group of stories put together by man. There are many, many books that were omitted from the book that should have been included. Why were they omitted? Because they did not fit the agenda of those putting the bible together.
chae is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM #104
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Haven't you noticed that a LOT of stories and Christian beliefs are stolen from previous religions?
nope, I haven't. I see some influences of other religions on Judaism, and Hellenistic influences on Christianity, but none stolen from or directly taken from previous or other religions. there are some rituals that are from pagan religions but that is another issue altogether.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: Christ Krew #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM #105
chae (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
why would I believe that? no. I believe they may be referring to the same account. I just happen to believe the Bible account is true.
Other than the fact the Gilgamesh predates your bible by thousands of years. And there is actual evidence the Gilgamesh story actually happened from the strata records. Plus the actual story was found on Cuneform tablets, which is the earliest known writing to man.

Face it, the christians stole the story to relate a tale that sinning against ones fellow man will result in catastrophy. They heard the story and added to it to fit their times and events. The STOLE the story.
chae is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump