Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:53 AM #43
Pb_Herman
\/ Where I want to be

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907ak View Post
weak minded because they cant handle the fact that when they die they just rot away in the ground, so they make up something that will lead them through the "afterlife"
i think it would take more strength to resist the world than to embrace it.

and... God is outside of time. How do you place a beginning on something when there is no time.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM #44
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

You don't, that's why it's called infinity
Old 12-08-2006, 02:52 PM #45
dysfuncti0n
I'm Back

dysfuncti0n is a Supporting Member
Many atheists do not believe in God in the same way they do not believe in Santa and the tooth fairy, I do not mean that in disrespectful way, but for a Christian to understand the theory of though for some atheists I believe it is a good example. I do not believe in little gremlins under my fridge... I can't prove they are not there... but I don't believe in them... same thing.

The reason some people are atheists is because they refuse to accept a religion that thier culture tells them to believe with no reason. Religion is a much more beautiful and meaningful thing if you find it on your own.

Last edited by dysfuncti0n : 12-08-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 PM #46
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

I have plenty of reasons. I'll share one thing that popped up in my mind the other day...

As a child, I was told about Santa Claus. Everyone knows the story. I believed in it. A few years passed, I asked the ever popular question, "How does he go to billions of houses in one night?" The answer, "He's Santa. He can do anything." Then I thought of the answer a Christian or Catholic would give to the question, "How does God answer so many prayers?" "He's God. He can do anything."
Striking similarities. Two beings never seen by humans. One proclaimed to be a fictional character, the other praised unconditionally for creating and controlling everything, believed to be REAL. Doesn't it seem strange that the same excuses are made for an obviously fictional character, as opposed to a character praised by the masses? I think so.

I don't really know if what I just wrote is understandable, ask me about it if you are confused.

This is not my reasoning for not believing in any type of higher being, just an observation...

Last edited by HuktAwnFoniks : 12-08-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:56 PM #47
dysfuncti0n
I'm Back

haha good timing ^^^
Old 12-08-2006, 03:01 PM #48
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfuncti0n View Post
haha good timing ^^^
haha, weird.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:06 PM #49
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

I like that... I think both of those are fairly good descriptions... I feel I have more reason to believe there's nothing there than I have reason to believe there is something there...

that, and I've always found it very hard to believe that "God" can create miracles and save so many people while at the same time absolutely torturing others who follow the very same beliefs, if not practice them to a further extent... You can't use the "he can't get all of them" excuse, because the guy create the entire universe in 7 days, I'm sure he can cure a few million believers of cancer or bring their families home safely...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 PM #50
froggy_newb
We are agents of the free

Why isn't God punishing me, when I haven't been asking for forgivness , and been sinning my *** away? I masturbate, and i don't go a pray about it. why hasn't God flooded the earth to kill everyone?

why isn't this guy dead?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufAjxK1uoy4
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 PM #51
Scrantonicity

On the Santa note, I see where you're coming from with the analogy but not everything fits. God wasn't "created" on the basis of a man's beliefs. The Bible, which was written by the divine inspiration of God, gives us factual evidence towards the existence of Jesus Christ. (Whether or not you choose to believe it is irrelevant for this point) Therefore, if Jesus existed as the Bible depicts him, then the Bible is true, and God is real.

Santa is an idea that was given to you by someone, and you chose to believe it because you trusted them/ it seemed like a good concept. The only factual evidence for Santa is based off of saint nicholas, which obviously doesn't comply with the santa legend.

To tie this all together, I believe in God because of the proof the Bible has given me. I have read several books about how other historical documents comply with the biblical depiction of jesus's life and the prophecies predicting it. Faith in the Bible and God is not the blind faith as in the case with santa or gremlins under your fridge.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:44 PM #52
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy_newb View Post
Why isn't God punishing me, when I haven't been asking for forgivness , and been sinning my *** away? I masturbate, and i don't go a pray about it. why hasn't God flooded the earth to kill everyone?
Uhh...missing dodgy there?

You may not be a scholar but surely you're aware that hell comes AFTER you die, not before.

Quote:
why isn't this guy dead?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ufAjxK1uoy4
Don't have a Youtube account so I can't watch it but do you seriously think the guy WON'T die? Ask me this question in 80 years.

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 PM #53
Evilwombat
Damn noob 2k8er's

How do you look at the major religions before christ? You probably think that all of them are wrong, yet almost everyone believed them. While this isn't my main objection, it's a fresh one.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:19 PM #54
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrantonicity View Post
On the Santa note, I see where you're coming from with the analogy but not everything fits. God wasn't "created" on the basis of a man's beliefs. The Bible, which was written by the divine inspiration of God, gives us factual evidence towards the existence of Jesus Christ. (Whether or not you choose to believe it is irrelevant for this point) Therefore, if Jesus existed as the Bible depicts him, then the Bible is true, and God is real.

Santa is an idea that was given to you by someone, and you chose to believe it because you trusted them/ it seemed like a good concept. The only factual evidence for Santa is based off of saint nicholas, which obviously doesn't comply with the santa legend.

To tie this all together, I believe in God because of the proof the Bible has given me. I have read several books about how other historical documents comply with the biblical depiction of jesus's life and the prophecies predicting it. Faith in the Bible and God is not the blind faith as in the case with santa or gremlins under your fridge.
But wait, so an inspiration, that only a select few people heard or saw is not a belief... Did you see this inspiration? Who are you to say that this guy just dreamed all of this up one day and a lot of people believed it...

Ok, were you there when the Santa idea was created? How do you know it wasn't a Yule-time insperation that was written down and eventually lost and disorted... Maybe we're all wrong, and there really is a spirit that flies around on Christmass eve and rewards those who have been good throughout the year and letting down those who have been bad... You admitted yourself that there was a Saint Nick, and maybe there's a book yet to be found where a few people describe some very paranormal things he pulled off...

Last edited by flarkey25 : 12-08-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:26 PM #55
Scrantonicity

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but how can you create an entire argument based off of blind and quite obviously distorted speculation. Do you know anything about Saint Nick? In short, he was a guy who went around and put presents in the socks that kids hung up to dry. There's also some more stuff which has been derived to the current santa, but if you really want to know about it look on wikipedia or something. I think you're really just trying to throw out a hanus, unrealistic scenario for the sake of argument.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:41 AM #56
dysfuncti0n
I'm Back

Its just an example, some would argue God was created by man and not the other way around. It is all he said she said, and I don't expect anyone on pbnation to have the answer. Nothing is falsifiable, so anyone can believe whatever they want. I can worship gnomes that live in my backyard and it is just as legitimate as any other religion.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 AM #57
ZenMike
OX AGGRSSN

ZenMike plays in the USPL
ZenMike plays in the PSP
ZenMike supports our troops
ZenMike plays in the APPA D4 division
This thread seems more about why atheists aren't Christians than why they are atheists, but...

My disbelief that the bible is the inpired word of a god has nothing to do with whether it is or not, nor does your belief that it is. Aside from the bible claiming for itself that it is true and the inpired word of god, is there any corroborating evidence? Or is it simply a matter of dogma?
Old 12-09-2006, 07:29 AM #58
ZenMike
OX AGGRSSN

ZenMike plays in the USPL
ZenMike plays in the PSP
ZenMike supports our troops
ZenMike plays in the APPA D4 division
I think there is just a difference in philosophies between theists and atheists. For the most part atheists are materialists and theists are dualists. It's simply a fundamental difference in how we view the world around us.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:57 AM #59
Plan B 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.'

-Albert Einstein
I thought Einstein was an atheist to.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:37 PM #60
HuktAwnFoniks
Thanks a lot, Bin Laden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B 13 View Post
I thought Einstein was an atheist to.
He was.

He spoke of "God" not as the invisible powerful man in the sky, but as nature. He basically used the word "God" in place of "nature"

Believers try to make it look like, "hey, Einstein was really smart and believed in God! Join the church!" but it's actually the exact opposite. Anyone who doesn't believe me can look it up.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:03 PM #61
Hero
Stashy Pow Brah

Hero is a founding member
Hero plays in the PSP
Hero plays in the APPA D3 division
Wow for being a thread asking Atheists why they don't believe in god this thread is really full of people who aren't atheists spouting their ideas.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM #62
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrantonicity View Post
I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but how can you create an entire argument based off of blind and quite obviously distorted speculation. Do you know anything about Saint Nick? In short, he was a guy who went around and put presents in the socks that kids hung up to dry. There's also some more stuff which has been derived to the current santa, but if you really want to know about it look on wikipedia or something. I think you're really just trying to throw out a hanus, unrealistic scenario for the sake of argument.
Option B. The reason I threw that out there is because he said that there is documented evidence of a guy named Jesus, and some other biblical occurances... So I threw out that yeah, there was a Saint Nick and he did some really nice things for some kids, but now we have this legend of him that he flies around on a sleigh guided by 8 flying deer, and in one night delivers massive amounts of goods to every Christmas celebrating home in the world... Who's to say the Jesus story hadn't orignated in the same fashion? Someone named Jesus walked around the middle east making people feel good and convert to christianity by telling them he was the very son of God himself, etc. etc. and a few faithful followers jotted the whole thing down along the way embelishing it and distorting details to derive the currt Jesus legend we have today...
Old 12-09-2006, 05:16 PM #63
Metninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuliveudie View Post
Why am I atheist? There are a number of reasons and they are in no specific order:

-Lacks sufficient evidence
-Modern science has constantly proven religios theory incorrect
-Religious teachings/Organized religion has created secular groups that are currently destroying the international community
-Religion is a product of Man's insecurity and inability to cope with various aspects of life. Therefore, religion is a belief in others and not one god
QFT.