Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 04:42 PM #22
froggy_newb
We are agents of the free
 
froggy_newb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post
Athiest are most closed minded, and would reject any evidence as fraud. Agnostic would take into consideration the evidence.
athiests are people who believe in science. and the science crowd goes to the side with the most evidence to prove it right.
__________________
you mess with one bean; you mess with the whole burrito
froggy_newb is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:52 PM #23
GoldEagle (Banned)
Christianity = Bull
 
GoldEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
In Latin, I believe the word is 'total genius.'
Fixed.

I'm Agnostic. It's basically that you have figured out that no religion so far established is really correct because of errancies, impossibilites, and total disbelief in all of them.
GoldEagle is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 PM #24
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Here is the best way I can think of to help a Christian/Muslim/Jew or whatever understand my point of view.

Think of all of the religions other than yours. Now, think of the reasons you don't believe in them. Those are the same reasons that I don't believe in them and the same reason I don't believe in your religion. The only difference between an agnostic and a Christian/Muslim/Jew is that I believe in one less religion than they do. I'm not saying that they aren't possible. I have no clue what is possible. There is a lot that goes on outside of my day to day reality. I just don't believe in them and find them highly unlikely due to the sheer amount of possible explanations as to how we got here. Only one can be right.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:03 PM #25
tonysk83
 
 
tonysk83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGrrrr View Post
I'm agnostic and the best way to sum up my thoughts on religion are:

I have no way of knowing how we got here. No one does. There may be a god, there may not be. He may be kind, he may not be. He may want us to worship him, he may care less. He may be an all powerful being, he may be some scientist somewhere growing us in a petri dish. I'm not going to devote my life to one specific religion when it is no more likely to be right than any other explanation as to how we got here. So, I will just accept the fact that us as humans are clueless as to how we got here and just live with that rather than blindly following any specific religion. If a god made us, I'm grateful. I try to live my life without hurting the quality of any one else's life. I try to effect people in a positive way. I do that because I think it is the right way to live, not because I fear the wrath of a god.
Sums up my views pretty much exactly,

The issue of whether God exists or not is never going to be proven to me. I am not saying there isn't a God. There might be, and I could spend my whole life trying to figure out. I would rather live my life though instead of worry about something like that. Whether God exists or not to me is a meaningless question in my life. I don't need religion or a God to tell me right from wrong. I know what is right and wrong. I know how to live my life positively, and I do it every day. I help others because I know it is the right thing to do, not because a religion or God told me so.
__________________
www.myspace.com/blueprintforutopia

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence – economic, political, even spiritual – is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
tonysk83 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 PM #26
MR.JABM
 
 
MR.JABM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CA
MR.JABM supports our troops
I'm agnostic

I have faith that there is a god, but i'm sick of people getting up their own *** about their religion being right.

If there is a god...cool. If there isn't...sux, i can't do anything about it
__________________
MR.JABM is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM #27
paintballbobber
Booty Butt Cheeks
 
paintballbobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St.Louis, MO
lol ATHEISM FTW
paintballbobber is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 12:03 AM #28
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbobber View Post
lol ATHEISM FTW
That is the type of post that is not going to be allowed in the religion forums. Did you even read the rules posted at the top of this forum?

This thread is about agnostics. It has nothing to do with Atheism. If you want to discuss atheism, or if you want to compare atheism to other religions do it elsewhere. There are plenty of athiest threads to post in. Consider this your warning.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:06 AM #29
Pocket Monster
Loveless
 
Pocket Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: This world of no pity.
This thread is full of bull****. There is such a thing as agnostic atheism and agnostic theism. Maybe I'll come back to this thread after work.
Pocket Monster is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:14 AM #30
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Come back if you wish, but not with that tone. That tone will get you banned.

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:56 AM #31
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Took the words right out of my mouth CQ.

How is this thread bull****? He asked what an agnostic was and we told him our ideas of what an agnostic is. He didn't ask what an agnostic theist was. He asked what an agnostic was. Of course a person can be an agnostic and have views that overlap with theist or athiest beliefs. Some agnostics believe that there is a god but don't know the nature of that god. That would be an agnostic theist. What's your point?
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:00 AM #32
chodeyg
sprezzatura
 
chodeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: via lactea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeaR™ View Post
Pretty much means, im to lazy to make a decision so ill sit here till someone can make it for me.
No. That means you've thought about religion for so long that you can't make up your mind.

I believe that athiests and agnostics are the smartest people in the world, not because they're right, but because they've given more thought to their own lives and are so intrapersonally intelligent.
__________________
Resurrect dead on planet Jupiter
chodeyg is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 AM #33
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Agreed. If you ask me, having blind faith in a religion is more lazy. Instead of seeing what all is out there and being open to different explanations you just choose one and blindly follow it. Not saying that it is wrong, but if you want to call something lazy lets be real about it.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM #34
dysfuncti0n
I'm Back
 
dysfuncti0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Texas
dysfuncti0n is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I respect agnostics a great deal. I do not know where I fall in by definition anymore. I used to teach sunday school, I used to be atheist, but now I believe that there is something more. I am not saying it is a white haired man in a white robe, but maybe along the lines of an abstract collective human consciousness.
__________________
dysfuncti0n v2.0 ...now without flashy markers and mod powers.
Feedback
dysfuncti0n is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 PM #35
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
Yeah, I feel that there is a creator of some sort as well.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 PM #36
letspbnow
New and Improved
 
letspbnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
dictionary.com says a synonym is Atheist
__________________
"Originally posted by HawaiianStyle: "LISTEN TO THIS MAN"
letspbnow is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 09:17 PM #37
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
It also says 'beastly' and 'low' are synonyms. Try comparing the definitions.
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 10:14 PM #38
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by letspbnow View Post
dictionary.com says a synonym is Atheist
That website might not know its *** from a hole in the ground on any given day.

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 PM #39
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster
 
Kellster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Praha, Česká
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfuncti0n View Post
an abstract collective human consciousness.
That's an interesting concept, care to elaborate?
__________________
85%
Kellster is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 12:36 AM #40
dysfuncti0n
I'm Back
 
dysfuncti0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Texas
dysfuncti0n is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
That's an interesting concept, care to elaborate?

sure. I believe I was introduced to this in one of my psych classes in college (was a psych minor). Experiments were conducted on a chain of islands which were inhibited by chimps. One one island, the scientists showed monkeys how to use a natural tool in some way they had not before. Lets just say, using a rock to knock some fruit off a tree for an example. Well on the next island separated by a good length of ocean, the chimps living there began to also throw rocks at trees in order to knock down fruit. They know they no other chimp showed them this nor did any human. Some believe this collective consciousness is something we have lost touch with, some believe it is part of the 90% of the brain power we don't use. Now I am a strong believer in coincidence, but something about this theory sounds right to me.

There are other things like forms of altruism that I think can be grouped in with this.
__________________
dysfuncti0n v2.0 ...now without flashy markers and mod powers.
Feedback
dysfuncti0n is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 AM #41
letspbnow
New and Improved
 
letspbnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
It also says 'beastly' and 'low' are synonyms. Try comparing the definitions.
sorry, I as just sayin....
__________________
"Originally posted by HawaiianStyle: "LISTEN TO THIS MAN"
letspbnow is offline  
Old 12-09-2006, 08:39 AM #42
Plan B 13
 
 
Plan B 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytie View Post
In Latin, I believe the word is 'ignoramus.'

There are two basic definitions I know of.

"I don't know, I haven't been convinced if there's a God or not"
and
"No one will ever know. It's unprovable" but that's self-contradicting. How do you know it's unknowable? Just because you don't know doesn't mean no one knows.
Ok then, bring me someone who knows.
__________________
1017 BRICKSQUAD
Plan B 13 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump