agnostics - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 06:54 AM #1
Virginiakid89
fat_paint_baller
 
Virginiakid89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
agnostics

anyone out there agnostic?
wanna explain to me what it is...
seems to me that it is liek believeing in god but not believeign in god
so anyone who knows that would help
__________________
01000101 01001110 01000111 01001100 01001001 01010011 01001000 00101100 00100000 01001101 01001111 01010100 01001000 01000101 01010010 01000110 01010101 01000011 01001011 01000101 01010010 00100001 00100000 01000100 01001111 00100000 01011001 01001111 01010101 00100000 01010011 01010000 01000101 01000001 01001011 00100000 01001001 01010100 00111111
Virginiakid89 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2006, 07:01 AM #2
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist
 
ISmokeIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism
__________________
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
ISmokeIce is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 AM #3
Virginiakid89
fat_paint_baller
 
Virginiakid89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
that i foudn its the first thing that comes up in google....
i was looking fro somethign a little more in depth...
__________________
01000101 01001110 01000111 01001100 01001001 01010011 01001000 00101100 00100000 01001101 01001111 01010100 01001000 01000101 01010010 01000110 01010101 01000011 01001011 01000101 01010010 00100001 00100000 01000100 01001111 00100000 01011001 01001111 01010101 00100000 01010011 01010000 01000101 01000001 01001011 00100000 01001001 01010100 00111111
Virginiakid89 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 AM #4
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
There's not really "depth" to agnosticism since it's not belief in a particular thing. It's basically the attitude that "I don't know whether God exists because it hasn't been proven either way, so I'll sit here with an open mind if anyone actually ends up proving anything."

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:00 AM #5
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.
 
Hoytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
 has been a member for 10 years
In Latin, I believe the word is 'ignoramus.'

There are two basic definitions I know of.

"I don't know, I haven't been convinced if there's a God or not"
and
"No one will ever know. It's unprovable" but that's self-contradicting. How do you know it's unknowable? Just because you don't know doesn't mean no one knows.
__________________
Joel Hoyt
Saint John, NB

joel.hoyt@gmail.com
Hoytie is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:20 AM #6
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
it is theism at it's simplest, or maybe it's most profound, depending on point of view. as has been said though, essentially agnostics believe there is a God, but cannot be known.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.

Last edited by RamboPreacher : 12-07-2006 at 08:23 AM.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:28 AM #7
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist
 
ISmokeIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
it is theism at it's simplest, or maybe it's most profound, depending on point of view. as has been said though, essentially agnostics believe there is a God, but cannot be known.
Or there is no God, but cannot be proved.
__________________
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
ISmokeIce is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:29 AM #8
FeaR™
/nojoke
 
FeaR™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginiakid89 View Post
anyone out there agnostic?
wanna explain to me what it is...
seems to me that it is liek believeing in god but not believeign in god
so anyone who knows that would help

Pretty much means, im to lazy to make a decision so ill sit here till someone can make it for me.
__________________
Yessa Massa! Right Away Massa!
FeaR™ is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:33 AM #9
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post
Or there is no God, but cannot be proved.
incorrect, that would be atheism.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:35 AM #10
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist
 
ISmokeIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
incorrect, that would be atheism.
Athiest are most closed minded, and would reject any evidence as fraud. Agnostic would take into consideration the evidence.
__________________
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
ISmokeIce is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 AM #11
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISmokeIce View Post
...Agnostic would take into consideration the evidence.
if that paradigm were actually correct, then that individual would cease to be atheist and become theist and probably therefore agnostic. a fine line, but a line nonetheless.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM #12
idriveavw
Unicorn Power!
 
idriveavw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: xNJx
idriveavw is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
incorrect, that would be atheism.
you, sir, are incorrect.

agnosticism is "There may or may not be a god. there is no way to prove it either way, so i will stay open minded"

atheism is the absolute disbelief in a god
__________________
XXX
ST sXe Crew Member #4

2002 Galactic Blue VW Jetta GLI
VWFixx
idriveavw is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM #13
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveavw View Post
you, sir, are incorrect.

agnosticism is "There may or may not be a god. there is no way to prove it either way, so i will stay open minded"

atheism is the absolute disbelief in a god
I will agree to disagree with you, as in my comparative religion studies show that agnosticism is a theist belief. even the acceptance of the possibility of that god/higher power is theist in belief, in my opinion.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM #14
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
I will agree to disagree with you, as in my comparative religion studies show that agnosticism is a theist belief. even the acceptance of the possibility of that god/higher power is theist in belief, in my opinion.
I disagree. That's like saying someone who might be gay IS gay. Just because someone could be convinced of something doesn't mean they already believe.

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:05 PM #15
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
I disagree. That's like saying someone who might be gay IS gay. Just because someone could be convinced of something doesn't mean they already believe.

CQ
faulty logic, in my opinion. however by saying that you believe that there may be gays does make you one that believes they could exist and therefore do not believe that they absolutely do not exist.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM #16
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
Agnosticism is not an absolute belief in either direction. If an agnostic thinks it's equally likely that god does exist or does not exist, then I fail to see how you claim that makes him a theist (one who believes in god).

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM #17
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
Agnosticism is not an absolute belief in either direction.
and thus excludes itself from being atheistic (as a "religion" that absolutely does not believe in a god - "there is no god"... I will agree that there are those that would like to call themselves atheistic agnostics, but I disagree that is even possible (in my opinion, as mentioned).
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 PM #18
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
 
Conqueror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Chapel Thrill, NC
Conqueror is a Moderator
Conqueror is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Conqueror supports our troops
I don't think you HAVE to be either a theist or an atheist. I mean, there are a lot of people where if you asked them "Is there a god or not?" would say "I honestly just don't know."

CQ
Conqueror is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM #19
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
I don't think you HAVE to be either a theist or an atheist. I mean, there are a lot of people where if you asked them "Is there a god or not?" would say "I honestly just don't know."

CQ
theist vs atheist. I disagree. (these terms are polar opposites in definition theist or a-theist (non-theist))
atheist vs other - sure, why not. I can see your point, and we probably agree more than we don't. I think it is in how we perceive the definitions.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:13 PM #20
xoopiter-jeff
Web Hosting Master
 
xoopiter-jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
xoopiter-jeff is a Supporting Member
Im agnostic and CQ's description sums it up prefectly. Kirby has definatly pretty much ended my option to christianity though. I don't wanna associate with waks like that.

Cheers
Jeff
__________________
Feedback 17+/ 0-

My Setup
Speckle Black '05 Ion *Pic* Freak kit Wisper C/F Barrel CP on/off with Bleed NDZ Drop Trinity Mini Clamp
Dye Sticky3 Grips Palmer's Stabilizer ReloaderB W/ S4 Kit 70/4500 crossfire Stubby Kila Magnetic Detents
Shocktech Supafly QEV NDZ Rollerblade Trigger Aftermarket Board Aftermarket Blue Lazer Eyes

Xoopiter Free Web Hosting
xoopiter-jeff is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 PM #21
JoshGrrrr
@!?#%&$
 
JoshGrrrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: ~BFE~
JoshGrrrr is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
JoshGrrrr is playing at Living Legends III
JoshGrrrr supports our troops
I'm agnostic and the best way to sum up my thoughts on religion are:

I have no way of knowing how we got here. No one does. There may be a god, there may not be. He may be kind, he may not be. He may want us to worship him, he may care less. He may be an all powerful being, he may be some scientist somewhere growing us in a petri dish. I'm not going to devote my life to one specific religion when it is no more likely to be right than any other explanation as to how we got here. So, I will just accept the fact that us as humans are clueless as to how we got here and just live with that rather than blindly following any specific religion. If a god made us, I'm grateful. I try to live my life without hurting the quality of any one else's life. I try to effect people in a positive way. I do that because I think it is the right way to live, not because I fear the wrath of a god.
JoshGrrrr is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump